HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread II (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2011, 10:53 AM
  #951
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewClearWinter View Post
*Fruition. Sorry that was driving me nuts
That guy MUST have been joking...right...?

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 10:53 AM
  #952
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,251
vCash: 500
Truth is, Semin is probably a tad overrated around these parts defensively because we don't exactly have any PK superstars...

He's probably underrated around the rest of the league/boards because they only see the offensive game in highlights...but a bit overrated here defensively.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 11:07 AM
  #953
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I wouldn't mind him milling around all year if it doesnt cost us a player I like better cap wise.
explain how that would work?

txpd is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 11:42 AM
  #954
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 10,101
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I must beg to differ my man!

1) Semin isn't "invisible" in the playoffs. Didn't he score the OT winner vs Rangers in game 1? Didn't he fire off 44 shots vs Halak who decided to stand on his head? If you go back to the Flyer's series he was our best player. In fact he went against Bruce's "turn the other cheek" order in game 4 by finally fighting back. He was the first one who did it and then the whole team followed suit. How about the guts to play the entire pens series with a broken thumb?

2) Sure he takes penalties. But in my book PIMS are a GREAT stat to have! A player with high PIMs to me indicates that they are aggressive and/or have a bit of nasty to them. I don't want any lady byng candidates on my team personally and I take mistakes of AGGRESSION over passive ones anyday.

3) 2-way game? Semin definitely does. Highly underrated defensive player and outstanding penalty killer.
For me its just that Semin is a streaky player...he's been that way ever since he's been in the league and he streaky in the playoffs as well. I can understand people's frustration for 'consistency' but it is what you get with him.

He is still more valuable to the Captials than to any other team 'this year' which I why I just can't see him moved. Also it is good to have him playing during a contract year. After the season I'm fine with letting him go to FA and just bring in Knutz the following season (if he continues his current dev path he'll be good to go).

Also though he looked good playing PK early in the season. IMO that keeps him more engaged and forces him to have a defensive mindset at 4v5 out there. Not sure when he got shifted off of the PK.

__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 12:04 PM
  #955
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
For me its just that Semin is a streaky player...he's been that way ever since he's been in the league and he streaky in the playoffs as well. I can understand people's frustration for 'consistency' but it is what you get with him.

He is still more valuable to the Captials than to any other team 'this year' which I why I just can't see him moved. Also it is good to have him playing during a contract year. After the season I'm fine with letting him go to FA and just bring in Knutz the following season (if he continues his current dev path he'll be good to go).

Also though he looked good playing PK early in the season. IMO that keeps him more engaged and forces him to have a defensive mindset at 4v5 out there. Not sure when he got shifted off of the PK.
semin and peter bondra score in very similar binge and drought scenarios.

txpd is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 12:39 PM
  #956
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 25,075
vCash: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
explain how that would work?
Poti proved healthy then Sarge for a 1st of course. McNeill moves up the depth chart. Get him and Collins a LOT more games this year to prepare for the predictable injuries on D next playoffs. Test our depth. Small cap hit should fit.

When you say he is done, how many more GP until that is wrong... 1 or ?


EDIT Forgot it was HAMMER TIME

Hammer Green
Alzner Carlson
Poti Wideman

Erskine
McNeill Collins


Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-22-2011 at 03:55 PM.
RandyHolt is online now  
Old
07-22-2011, 12:49 PM
  #957
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,985
vCash: 500
misread your post. thought it read without losing a player. not without losing a player that you like.

so far as done. 1 game? gordie howe could play part of one game. maybe he's not done either.

txpd is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 01:07 PM
  #958
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
He's also not as good, older, and I think still a bit more of a headcase.
exactly, and he's at 7.5m a year with 2 recent seasons of diminshed production. To think Semin doesn't have value around the league is absurd. I get there are a lot of fans/posters that dont like him, and thats fine...

but he has tremendous value, and to expect something less than Martin Havlat for him is ridiculous. His value is high, whether we like him or not.

Ridley Simon is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 01:11 PM
  #959
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
No way for Hudler, but Filppula and + would be worth it. A two-way #2 C who shows up in the playoffs on a good deal? Yes, please. The Caps can replace any drop-off in goals easily at the deadline with the picks and have Kuznetsov and who knows who else coming over next year.
I dont agree. Filippula is a 35-40pt player. I dont want to diminish his "tangible" assets, but he's not worth Semin. And to assume Kuznetsov will fill any roles is again foolhardy. He, Sjogren, Eakin, etc are not players you count on for a Stanley Cup run. If they prove themselves, fantastic. But none of this is proven, and to count on them will set us back towards our ultimate goal.

Ridley Simon is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 01:16 PM
  #960
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I hope Poti recovers. I like his game, misunderstood by many to be an offensive guy, he has been a solid DD man in his stay here, when healthy. Can pinch hit offensively but has to be asked to do so. Nerdly competitive. He has been solid in playoffs when not playing with a broken foot. Good against the flyers, excellent against the rags, couldnt skate against pitt, and excellent vs Montreal, maybe our best Dman that series.

It appears he has been counted out by many, mostly Tex and George. I wouldn't mind him milling around all year if it doesnt cost us a player I like better cap wise.

I agree with this. Poti's returning to form would be better than Hannan replacing Schultz.

Green-Hamrlik
Carlson-Alzner
Wideman -Poti
Erskine

This is ideal!

Ridley Simon is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 01:18 PM
  #961
thewill78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
I know this is a bit off topic but what would you guys think about us signing dumont to a cheap 1 year contract as the 3c? lines could be
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knubble
Laich-Joahnsson-Semin
Brouwer-Dumont-Ward
Chimera-Halpern-Hendricks
What are your thoughts?

thewill78 is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 01:21 PM
  #962
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Poti proved healthy then Sarge for a 1st of course. McNeill moves up the depth chart. Get him and Collins a LOT more games this year to prepare for the predictable injuries on D next playoffs. Test our depth. Small cap hit should fit.

When you say he is done, how many more GP until that is wrong... 1 or ?

Alzner Green
Poti Carlson
Erskine Wideman
McNeill Collins

Uhm, Hamrlik?

Ridley Simon is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 02:12 PM
  #963
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 15,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Poti proved healthy then Sarge for a 1st of course. McNeill moves up the depth chart. Get him and Collins a LOT more games this year to prepare for the predictable injuries on D next playoffs. Test our depth. Small cap hit should fit.

When you say he is done, how many more GP until that is wrong... 1 or ?

Alzner Green
Poti Carlson
Erskine Wideman
McNeill Collins
I expected you to boot Schultz, but Roman Hamrlik says hi.


Last edited by Hivemind: 07-22-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Hivemind is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 03:48 PM
  #964
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I must beg to differ my man!

1) Semin isn't "invisible" in the playoffs. Didn't he score the OT winner vs Rangers in game 1? Didn't he fire off 44 shots vs Halak who decided to stand on his head? If you go back to the Flyer's series he was our best player. In fact he went against Bruce's "turn the other cheek" order in game 4 by finally fighting back. He was the first one who did it and then the whole team followed suit. How about the guts to play the entire pens series with a broken thumb?

2) Sure he takes penalties. But in my book PIMS are a GREAT stat to have! A player with high PIMs to me indicates that they are aggressive and/or have a bit of nasty to them. I don't want any lady byng candidates on my team personally and I take mistakes of AGGRESSION over passive ones anyday.

3) 2-way game? Semin definitely does. Highly underrated defensive player and outstanding penalty killer.
I agree except for...

Lady Byng winners since 1982
1982–83 Mike Bossy New York Islanders RW 1
1983–84 Mike Bossy New York Islanders RW 2
1984–85 Jari Kurri Edmonton Oilers RW 1
1985–86 Mike Bossy New York Islanders RW 3
1986–87 Joe Mullen Calgary Flames C 1
1987–88 Mats Naslund Montreal Canadiens LW 1
1988–89 Joe Mullen Calgary Flames C 2
1989–90 Brett Hull St. Louis Blues RW 1
1990–91 Wayne Gretzky Los Angeles Kings C 2
1991–92 Wayne Gretzky Los Angeles Kings C 3
1992–93 Pierre Turgeon New York Islanders C 1
1993–94 Wayne Gretzky Los Angeles Kings C 4
1994–95 Ron Francis Pittsburgh Penguins C 1
1995–96 Paul Kariya Mighty Ducks of Anaheim LW 1
1996–97 Paul Kariya Mighty Ducks of Anaheim LW 2
1997–98 Ron Francis Pittsburgh Penguins C 2
1998–99 Wayne Gretzky New York Rangers C 5
1999–2000 Pavol Demitra St. Louis Blues C 1
2000–01 Joe Sakic Colorado Avalanche C 1
2001–02 Ron Francis Carolina Hurricanes C 3
2002–03 Alexander Mogilny Toronto Maple Leafs RW 1
2003–04 Brad Richards Tampa Bay Lightning C 1
2004–05 2004–05 NHL lockout
No winner - - -
2005–06 Pavel Datsyuk Detroit Red Wings C 1
2006–07 Pavel Datsyuk Detroit Red Wings C 2
2007–08 Pavel Datsyuk Detroit Red Wings C 3
2008–09 Pavel Datsyuk Detroit Red Wings C 4
2009–10 Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay Lightning RW 1
2010–11 Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay Lightning RW 2

You wouldn't want any of those guys on your team? The only one I wouldn't want is "No Winner"

ChibiPooky is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 03:56 PM
  #965
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 25,075
vCash: 1520
Obviously forgot it was..... sing it.... Hammer time.

Hammer Green
Alzner Carlson
Poti Wideman

Erskine
McNeill Collins Orlov

That should accumulate cap room. If that 1st we got is looking to be a late 1st, move it at the TDL for a stud.

RandyHolt is online now  
Old
07-22-2011, 04:02 PM
  #966
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,985
vCash: 500
pim's can be a really difficult stat to quantify. much like +/-. hendricks loaded up on regular season pim's that mostly fell into the setting the tone catagory. he didnt bring much of that in the playoffs.

semin certainly took a good retaliation penalty v the flyers in those playoffs. he gets credit for that. his offensive zone penalties for hooking are, however, empty calories of zero value.

there are bad penalties and untimely penalties and penalties of no value. there are good penalties, well timed penalties and penalties of great value. one over aggressive, poorly timed penalty can ruin a season.

johnny erskine has a pretty good handle on when to do it and when not to. semin has a pretty good idea of when to fight back and when to hold back. if he could handle his stick lifting the same way, he might be looked upon considerably differently.

karl alzner's nik lidstrom pim column is a good thing.

txpd is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 04:25 PM
  #967
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Obviously forgot it was..... sing it.... Hammer time.

Hammer Green
Alzner Carlson
Poti Wideman

I like all these guys BUT they're gonna need a bruiser back there before they're 2 legit 2 quit.

Atlas is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 05:08 PM
  #968
fsnoles98
Registered User
 
fsnoles98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
semin and peter bondra score in very similar binge and drought scenarios.
Your grasping for straws comparing Bondra and Semin. By comparing these 2 maybe your not a true Cap fan.

fsnoles98 is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 05:19 PM
  #969
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,985
vCash: 500
delete.


Last edited by txpd: 07-22-2011 at 06:22 PM.
txpd is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 06:01 PM
  #970
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 6,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewClearWinter View Post
*Fruition. Sorry that was driving me nuts
Had a boss who use to combine the word flustered with frustrating and call a situation very flustrating. The guy who was very high up in agency was dead serious in using it as well, as if it was a legitimate word.

And while we're on the language kick, there' no such word as rediculous, it's ridiculous. If I only had a a dollar for every time I've seen rediculous in an HF post.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 06:17 PM
  #971
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Your grasping for straws comparing Bondra and Semin. By comparing these 2 maybe your not a true Cap fan.



You're grasping at straws to use the English language, anyway.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 06:42 PM
  #972
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 25,075
vCash: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I like all these guys BUT they're gonna need a bruiser back there before they're 2 legit 2 quit.
That bruiser so many of us covet just doesnt seem to be on George's radar. George keeps harping on puck movers, and loading up on them. If you cant beat them, join them. The key is to actually replace them in the playoffs when they are so badly injured, they are ineffective.

More important than a bruiser as George is constructing the team, is trust-able depth. Bruce doesn't seem to trust his depth, he would rather ride vets with broken feet and shoulders than try a healthy 7 8 type. In part because he doesnt use them much in the RS to gain trust.


Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-22-2011 at 08:54 PM.
RandyHolt is online now  
Old
07-22-2011, 06:51 PM
  #973
NewClearWinter
Registered User
 
NewClearWinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: College Station, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Had a boss who use to combine the word flustered with frustrating and call a situation very flustrating. The guy who was very high up in agency was dead serious in using it as well, as if it was a legitimate word.

And while we're on the language kick, there' no such word as rediculous, it's ridiculous. If I only had a a dollar for every time I've seen rediculous in an HF post.
Rediculous is a word. It describes the act of being diculous again. Duh

NewClearWinter is offline  
Old
07-22-2011, 11:34 PM
  #974
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Your grasping for straws comparing Bondra and Semin. By comparing these 2 maybe your not a true Cap fan.
Not really, both exhibited goal scoring streakiness throughout their careers. Bondra was a better pure sniper, and a much faster skater, but Semin is better defensively (when motivated) and has much better hands.

Both of them could carry a line, and neither played much better with all-star caliber centers (Oates, Backstrom)

Devil Dancer is offline  
Old
07-23-2011, 09:05 AM
  #975
Ovechkins Wodka
Registered User
 
Ovechkins Wodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
and bondra had a cannon of a slap shot from the point on the PP.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.