HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens have signed Zenon Konopka to a 1 year deal

Old
07-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Berserker*

vCash: 500
Good signing we need some more toughness. This could be a very exciting season with all the rookies developing along with a line of Smith-Konopka-Neil to wreak havoc. Us sens fans are defnitely in for an entertaining season. Konopka is very good at face offs and good at killing penalties as well as being a phsyical force on the ice. I remember hearing a story about when he was captain for the 67's that he threatened to kick the **** out of his own team if they didn't play better the next period.

Smith-Konopka-Neil is a perfect line for Ottawa becuase it will set the intensity level and it will likely be a loved line by Cameron and possibly MacLean. I don't thik this will effect Carkner's spot at all. Murray will likely be trying to move Kuba and Lee to provide roster spots for both Runblad and Cowen. Winchester might become tradeable at this point however.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
backdoorpass

its a good signing cause its only 700k and one year, gives you option to trade him, wont get alot but still something, and if hes not playing well he just sits and someone else plays, not really hurting the team in any way, and if he plays thats means hes playing effective helping the team protecting the team, i know we need skill but was there really anyone to go after this year especially with those high money/term deals, just not worth it, next year or year after when are prospects are that much better thats when you sign UFAs that have skill then theres a mix of money guys and young guys are good enough that counter balance with low salaries, it takes time

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cujomi
YNWA

If this is setting up a bottom 6 forward being traded I can see it being a centre + a defenceman to Columbus for maybe Brassard or Vermette?

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:29 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

I'm not sure why some people are against this...he's a cheap depth signing known for his leadership abilities. It's not like he's going to steal a spot from a skill player and he's going to stand up for his teammates.

It's funny that the main trade board thinks this is a great signing by us but our own fans are miffed about a 1 year, base deal.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Iamok
#Panic

This was such an obvious move. Especially when Murray said he wanted to add another guy, but not to the top 6.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:30 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
If this is setting up a bottom 6 forward being traded I can see it being a centre + a defenceman to Columbus for maybe Brassard or Vermette?
Regin + Kuba + Neil for Brassard

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:32 PM
crashthenet

He'll plays his heart out every night. A fringe NHL'er that some fans gravitate to. Cost you next to nothing so nothing lost.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mcnorth

Quote:
Hope so - been dreaming about sending a package (usually with Lee) to Columbus to get Vermy back for two years.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Maybe a lot of us actually remember him from the 67's.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:33 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Doubt it's Vermette. He'll be centering the second line behind Carter. No question about that. Brassard on the other hand could be a real interesting one.

I'd be willing to spend a bit in trade to nab him for the 2C spot. I could see something along the lines of Kuba + Foligno + mid-range prospect for Brassard + draft pick.

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:33 PM
operasen

Quote:
Kuba and Regin/Winchester? I'd do that

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:35 PM
mcnorth

Double Post.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:35 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Anybody good with Photoshop?

I'd love to see a "Don't Mess with the Zenon" poster.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Kuba and Regin/Winchester? I'd do that
I think Kuba+Regin+mid range prospect would make C-bus think about it.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:39 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Warriors, come out to play-ay. I guess he's taking the Sean Donovan role? Perhaps since winning on the ice is going to be challenging this year, we'll focus on the alley a bit. Smith Konopka Neil sure sounds like a fun energy line to throw out there on occasion, but it doesnt really seem balanced properly for a full time line. But who knows, lots of truculence in the division.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Euclid
Futbol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
How can anyone not like this signing? The optics of this deal are awesome.

1. Short term.
2. Small salary.
3. Local ties.
4. Great face-off percentage.
5. Sticks up for teammates.
6. Great pro.
7. Positive influence on a team that's going to be very, very young.
8. Adequate penalty killer.
9. Knows his role. Won't create disturbances in the locker room looking for more ice time.
10. Can relieve the other heavies on the team of their pugilistic duties. ie. Neil and Carkner are more effective when they are on the ice.

Just a great signing. The fans are going to love his style of play. His teammates are gonna learn how to stick up for each other. And it's a one-year deal, which buys time for the next crop of bottom six forwards to get some more experience at the AHL level.

Couldn't have said it better. I put a premium on skill, but you can't ignore the need for toughness and protection, especially on a team as young as ours. Consider Filatov, a player some have said plays scared after a big hit. Opposing teams are not going to be so willing to punish Filatov if they know Konopka's gonna be hunting their ass the rest of the game.

Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
alxmrtl

We needed an extra forward, rather him than Shannon.

OTTAWA
Filatov - Spezza - Alfredsson
Michalek - Regin - Butler
Foligno - Smith - Condra
Greening - Konopka -Neil
Winchester

BINGO
Hoffman - Locke - Wick
Daugavins - Da Costa - Petersson
Dziurzynski - O'Brien - Cannone
Cowick - Grant - Hamilton
Lessard - Caporusso

alxmrtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:40 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

He's gonna make sure nobody messes with the rookies.

Good signing, even though we have a surplus of bottom 6'ers.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:42 PM
KarlSen

Lessard was called up last season to provide some extra fighting ability. Zenon is an upgrade for that spot. Sens have plenty of lower end players, but they can't handle the fights, and Carkner as a regular D should not be handling the enforcer role and being taken out of a game by a 3 to 6 minute a game player.

Brennan liking the deal is unsettling though.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:44 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
I think Kuba+Regin+mid range prospect would make C-bus think about it.
As weird as this sounds, I'd rather keep Regin and include Foligno instead, hoping to get a nice draft pick as well with Brassard.

My reasoning: to a certain extent, Condra provides the same style of game play that Foligno does, but seems to be a significantly better passer, while Foligno has the edge in goalscoring (for now, I'd consider their release, accuracy and velocity to be on the same plane).

I like Condra's upside because his hockey IQ seems to be generally higher than Foligno's.

And with that said, given the smallish age difference, it will be easier to sell Columbus on Foligno as a proven scorer who's bound to improve. We should be able to land Brassard + draft pick for that package.

Why we keep Regin: has almost no value scoring-wise after last year. Is almost certain to improve exponentially this year. Has the makings of fitting in to the team's system better than Foligno because of his style of play (has an affinity to puck possession games, watch him in the 6-game series against the Penguins two years ago for proof). Also considerably better defensively than Foligno. His awareness is far more advanced than Foligno's, who relies exclusively on his physical abilities.

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:47 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Meh - to me, a rebuild shouldn't be about playing 30 year-old tough guys. I'd rather a younger player get a chance to earn some NHL experience and hopefully blossom for the future.

How many bottom 6 forwards does this team need?

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
As weird as this sounds, I'd rather keep Regin and include Foligno instead, hoping to get a nice draft pick as well with Brassard.

My reasoning: to a certain extent, Condra provides the same style of game play that Foligno does, but seems to be a significantly better passer, while Foligno has the edge in goalscoring (for now, I'd consider their release, accuracy and velocity to be on the same plane).

I like Condra's upside because his hockey IQ seems to be generally higher than Foligno's.

And with that said, given the smallish age difference, it will be easier to sell Columbus on Foligno as a proven scorer who's bound to improve. We should be able to land Brassard + draft pick for that package.

Why we keep Regin: has almost no value scoring-wise after last year. Is almost certain to improve exponentially this year. Has the makings of fitting in to the team's system better than Foligno because of his style of play (has an affinity to puck possession games, watch him in the 6-game series against the Penguins two years ago for proof). Also considerably better defensively than Foligno. His awareness is far more advanced than Foligno's, who relies exclusively on his physical abilities.
Regin can also play LW if you decide to go that route. Foligno really struggled when they tried him at C. It was pretty ugly.

Old
HSF

Konopka is a great pickup has real good character and i remember him sticking up for the isles last year when the media was all over them

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Slightly off-topic, but still concerning Konopka:

Wasn't Zenon Konopka the owner of an Ottawa pub a few years back, on Bank Street, right near Billings Bridge? It's something else now (something like the green frog pub, or another equally awfully named establishment), but I could have sworn that he was involved in that restaurant. I know it was a former '67 alum.

...They had GREAT wings.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:48 PM
koreaboy

you'd have to think we're set for the season now. the blueline is jammed and its hard to see where we'd have room for another forward too. i'm not saying its a great lineup, but it looks like murray is going to give filatov every opportunity to nail down a top 6 scoring role along with butler and regin. then you have a zbad, a dacosta, or maybe even a silfverberg who might be called on to fill a top 6 role and the 6 billion other guys who can fill in a bottom 6 role and its really hard to see us acquiring anyone else through FAgency.

i don't have a problem with this signing. it allows us to trade/sit carkner in the goon role, and it gives us a lunchbucket pro and a very good faceoff guy. and he's dirt cheap, and its only for a year.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote