HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs/Wheeling Nailers 2011-12 season

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2011, 04:42 PM
NotProkofievian

vCash: 500
Why some of our prospects develop and some don't seems very odd to me. For every Pacioretty or Gallagher or Eller who seems to figure out on their own that they need to be bigger, stronger, and faster to get to the next level we've got a guy like Avtsin who doesn't seem to have gotten bigger, faster or stronger over the off-season.

So my question is, what role do the habs themselves play in the supervision of the development of our prospects. Are they left to help themselves in the off season? Because with the amount of bull-**** abounding in physical training, it can be very easy to lose your way.

Old
12-11-2011, 04:48 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
I haven't seen any games, but what the hell is with Berger? I was expecting more of the guy. One assist in 17 games for a power forward type of player! I don't think he'll be around next year. Too bad.
k.

He just signed a three-year contract, odd statement to make.

Habs Prospects website
Old
12-11-2011, 05:57 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Avtsin pots a goal in Hamiltons' 2-1 win today.

Old
12-11-2011, 06:11 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Avtsin pots a goal in Hamiltons' 2-1 win today.
Omgomgomg.

Old
12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
TinordiandSubban

It was a goal-scorer's goal, waited out the goalie and showed great patience.

Old
12-11-2011, 06:34 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

The potential is there.. We all know that. We just need to coach him, motivate him, cultivate him and be patient.

Old
12-11-2011, 06:45 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
It was a goal-scorer's goal, waited out the goalie and showed great patience.
Just checked the video...

Can't teach that.

Old
12-11-2011, 06:50 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
The potential is there.. We all know that. We just need to coach him, motivate him, cultivate him and be patient.
The problem is we will wait another 10 or more games for another beautiful move like that. At first I didn't think he wanted it bad enough but then this year there were signs of effort but not consistent. I expect to see patience with him this year but at what point does he get the minutes to develop over Disimone, LeBlanc, Dumont, Fortier, Masse, all of whom are really working hard each shift. IMO he will not grow playing 3rd and 4th line minutes in the AHL but how can he get top minutes ahead of guys putting out more.

Old
12-11-2011, 07:07 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
The problem is we will wait another 10 or more games for another beautiful move like that. At first I didn't think he wanted it bad enough but then this year there were signs of effort but not consistent. I expect to see patience with him this year but at what point does he get the minutes to develop over Disimone, LeBlanc, Dumont, Fortier, Masse, all of whom are really working hard each shift. IMO he will not grow playing 3rd and 4th line minutes in the AHL but how can he get top minutes ahead of guys putting out more.
The reason all those players get the icetime they do,is their work ethic.When Avtsin puts out every ounce of effort he has every shift he gets,the icetime won't be an issue.Jodoin will be so elated by his efforts,he'll be tried in every way PK,PP,ES and last minutes of the period and the game.At that point the Habs will be calling him up for a look at his progression and possibly to stay.

Old
12-11-2011, 07:34 PM
NotProkofievian

You need to treat different players differently. Setting Avtsin up against plumbers in a "hard-work" competition is setting him up to fail. Avtsin has something that Dumont will never have: god-given ability.

It's up to us to nurture it out of him. I don't really believe in the "baptism by fire" method of developing prospects. The tautological reasoning that if you throw all your eggs against the wall, the ones that dont break will be the strongest is true. However such an approach is only valid if you have a lot of eggs. Otherwise, you're just breaking perfectly good eggs.

While Desharnais needed only obstacles to succeed, it may be the case that Avtsin needs to be coaxed along a bit.

Old
12-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
At least AK's numbers looked good at the end of the year, Avtsin's numbers, not so much.
Avtsin's numbers for a 19 year old in the AHL were very good. Given the circumstances, there isn't much to complain about him last season.

The inconsistency this year, is of more concern to me.

Old
12-11-2011, 08:04 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Avtsin's numbers for a 19 year old in the AHL were very good. Given the circumstances, there isn't much to complain about him last season.

The inconsistency this year, is of more concern to me.
Not sure you can blame Avtsin since he's had to adjust to new linemates every other game, on top of spending the first 15 games on the fourth line.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:21 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Not sure you can blame Avtsin since he's had to adjust to new linemates every other game, on top of spending the first 15 games on the fourth line.
As Montreal pointed out, he had 5 of his 8 points while playing with Leblanc. He didn't play with any talented players the other games. Now with the a few bodies coming back, his numbers will get better IMO.

Old
12-12-2011, 07:56 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
As Montreal pointed out, he had 5 of his 8 points while playing with Leblanc. He didn't play with any talented players the other games. Now with the a few bodies coming back, his numbers will get better IMO.
Only if his icetime doesn't get cut back when the other players return off the IR list.Plus he needs to have linemates with a little talent,Mitch Wahl is a loaned player basically an ATO.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Anybody saw the 2 fights of Schultz yesterday?

Old
12-12-2011, 09:16 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Anybody saw the 2 fights of Schultz yesterday?
Yeah they were ok, both guys got shots in but nothing exciting. The good bout was Henry taking on Finley. Finley got a couple more shots in but Henry was giving up 3" and about 35 pounds. Lots of guts. Also, Finley became a lot less aggressive with our guys in his end. Some times you have to make a point.

Old
12-12-2011, 09:24 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Also does anyone know how the hell Mayer managed 45/46 saves tonight. I'm shocked.
Mayer played the best game I've ever seen from him, it's too bad he didn't get the SO as he deserved it and was the best player for the Dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Andrei at Avtsin's age had 23 points in an AHL season. It took Andrei a good three years to become a producer, and he was a top 10 pick. Give it time, Avtsin will flourish.
Avtsin is 20, will be 21 in March, Kostitsyn at 20 (turned 21 in Feb), Kostitsyn had 47 pts in 64 games. So far Avtsin has 8 pts in 25 games, so he's on pace for 24 pts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Did you watch the whole game? Did we get outplayed badly giving up 46 shots or were most not very good chances? I thought the game against the Marlies we were awful in our end and lucky they only scored 2.
Yes I did. I wouldn't say they had a ton of great chances but Mayer still played great. Against the Marlies I thought they played well enough against a better team but they have to sure up things in their own end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
I haven't seen any games, but what the hell is with Berger? I was expecting more of the guy. One assist in 17 games for a power forward type of player! I don't think he'll be around next year.
Berger has really struggled as he has trouble with the speed of the game imo. But when he does play he doesn't get much ice time and hasn't looked very good. Perhaps now that the Dogs are getting healthy they will send him to the ECHL to get more ice time.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Schwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
k.

He just signed a three-year contract, odd statement to make.
True. Doesn't mean he can't be traded or even sent to the ECHL though.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:08 PM

Can someone who follows the Dogs tell me how is my boy Schutz doing in the fighting department? Did he destroy some people?

Old
12-14-2011, 08:42 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Can someone who follows the Dogs tell me how is my boy Schutz doing in the fighting department? Did he destroy some people?
no nothing much happened in the last two fights

Old
12-14-2011, 07:19 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Another goal for Avtsin.

Dogs up 1-0./

Old
12-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Another goal for Avtsin.

Dogs up 1-0./
Would be nice for him to go on a tear. I'm not feeling good about his progress so far.

Old
12-14-2011, 07:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Another goal for Avtsin.

Dogs up 1-0./
The line that was out of the PP on the goal, Avtsin-Lefebvre-Schultz and no I'm not kidding. Lefebvre took it wide and threw it on net, I thought Desjardins had it covered but Avtsin swatted it home.

Old
12-14-2011, 07:38 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The line that was out of the PP on the goal, Avtsin-Lefebvre-Schultz and no I'm not kidding. Lefebvre took it wide and threw it on net, I thought Desjardins had it covered but Avtsin swatted it home.
Can't complain, he was in the tough area of the ice.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:31 PM
NotProkofievian

These are the goals that Avtsin needs to learn to score in North America. We all know that if he gets time in the slot, the goalie's done, but you gotta earn that time. It'd be awesome to see him get a little bit of confidence.

Closed Thread