HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs/Wheeling Nailers 2011-12 season

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Delmas should be with the Dogs and Mayer with Wheeling...

Old
01-16-2012, 08:12 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Mayer would be ok if he had eavestroughing around the net.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:37 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

By all accounts, Mayer has been playing his best hockey. Having said that, Delmas is a far better goalie and should be at least splitting time. Hope he's called up by the AHL "winter classic"

Old
01-17-2012, 01:09 AM
S Bah

Quote:
While Lawson gets healthy,Delmas will improve faster with more games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
By all accounts, Mayer has been playing his best hockey. Having said that, Delmas is a far better goalie and should be at least splitting time. Hope he's called up by the AHL "winter classic"
Rawlings, or Hunwick one of the College goalies seem to be better prepared for the NHL or AHL these days.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:14 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Per Dogs web page Delmas sent down yesterday.

Old
01-18-2012, 04:49 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Per Dogs web page Delmas sent down yesterday.
I heard Lawson on the radio during Sunday's game and it sounded like he was going to be back for the outdoor game, so hopefully he's not rushing back as we are going to need him to be at his best if there's to be any hope of the playoffs.

I put together a mid season report card on the Dogs so far based off what I think they have done this year vs what I expected from them.

http://www.habprospects.com/modules....rticle&sid=170

Old
01-18-2012, 04:54 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

So somewhat irrelevant, but apparently the Wheeling Nailers team (ECHL affiliate) is up for sale. Any chance of relocation or just new ownership?

Old
01-18-2012, 08:15 PM
hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I heard Lawson on the radio during Sunday's game and it sounded like he was going to be back for the outdoor game, so hopefully he's not rushing back as we are going to need him to be at his best if there's to be any hope of the playoffs.

I put together a mid season report card on the Dogs so far based off what I think they have done this year vs what I expected from them.

Good read! Thanks

Old
01-18-2012, 08:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Avtsin Engqvist Palushaj
DeSimone Willsie Leblanc
Dumont Masse Schultz
Nattinen Wahl Lefebvre

St-Denis Stafford
Henry Callahan
Mitera FitzGerald

Mayer

Fortier still injured but day to day. Berger, Stejskal, Fast all healthy scratches. Lawson has been cleared to play, the Habs goalie coach was working with him today.

What a nice play on the Palushaj goal, tick tac toe passing. Engqvist, Schultz, Palushaj, Masse, having good games.

Willsie 6 PP(Stafford, Palushaj)
Masse 7 (Schultz)
Palushaj 12 (Engqvist, FitzGerald)
Dumont 7 (Schultz, Masse)

Old
01-18-2012, 09:08 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:

Yup good read. I think you were harsh with Berger as he really didn't have enough time to get a better grade jumping from Oshawa to Hamilton and being injured.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:12 PM
TinordiandSubban

Listened to the third, Derek was raving about Ian Schultz "playing the best hockey of his career right now!"

Bulldogs are turning the season around at least.

Old
01-19-2012, 10:25 PM
windycity

what's the likelihood of Schultz making the Habs any time soon? haven't seen him play since last season (once) but seems marginal at best

Old
01-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
what's the likelihood of Schultz making the Habs any time soon? haven't seen him play since last season (once) but seems marginal at best
Best case scenario.... he plays awesome all season next year in the AHL and comes up in 2013-14.

But even that is a long shot.

Old
01-19-2012, 11:36 PM
NewHabsEra*

Schultz is a big boy with some interesting upside to become a very tough fourth liner to face, a guy who can fight as well.. Thats great to hear cause Habs need some of those guys... I would also love to see Conboy with the Habs in the future..

Old
01-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Beakermania*

The issue i see with both Shulz and Conboy is that while they are good fighters they are more middleweights or light heavy weights, than a true heavyweight enforcer.

Ie they would be more Travis Moen type of fighter and less of a guy like say George Parros.

This means that no team is gonna put them in the lineup unless they are able to take a regular shift and contribute in other ways (such as the PKing that Moen does) to a lineup. They need to be good enough to be regulars in the NHL. I'm not convinced that either of Conboy or Shulz is that good.

We've seen the difference when a Blunden (who is still a borderline NHLer) is in the AHL, and what he is able to generate in that league, vs where Shulz and Conboy are. We also see the difference when we compare them to Ryan White who was a much, much superior AHL player to what either of these guys has been to date.

Conboy I don't have much hope left for. Especially with this major injury setting him back an entire year basically at the worst possible time for him..

Shulz still has a chance though, just due to his age. Its a long shot, but if he has more games like the other night he could progress into that guy who is capable of a third/fourth line regular shift. Its by no means a sure thing though, he's gonna need to take off.

Old
01-20-2012, 03:00 AM
S Bah

Schultz is at least two yrs. away but can fight,Hamilton will be a young talented team with all the prospects coming.I would like to see a couple more centers than what they have,Dumont seems to be adjusting to center pretty well since his injury.I don't know if they tried Avtsin at center,but it couldn't hurt at this point of the season.Go Dogs Go!

Old
01-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
The issue i see with both Shulz and Conboy is that while they are good fighters they are more middleweights or light heavy weights, than a true heavyweight enforcer.

Ie they would be more Travis Moen type of fighter and less of a guy like say George Parros.

This means that no team is gonna put them in the lineup unless they are able to take a regular shift and contribute in other ways (such as the PKing that Moen does) to a lineup. They need to be good enough to be regulars in the NHL. I'm not convinced that either of Conboy or Shulz is that good.

We've seen the difference when a Blunden (who is still a borderline NHLer) is in the AHL, and what he is able to generate in that league, vs where Shulz and Conboy are. We also see the difference when we compare them to Ryan White who was a much, much superior AHL player to what either of these guys has been to date.

Conboy I don't have much hope left for. Especially with this major injury setting him back an entire year basically at the worst possible time for him..

Shulz still has a chance though, just due to his age. Its a long shot, but if he has more games like the other night he could progress into that guy who is capable of a third/fourth line regular shift. Its by no means a sure thing though, he's gonna need to take off.
admittedly I haven't seen much of Schultz at the AHL level, but I don't think he's at all comparable to White in the toughness/intimidation/fighting department.

Schultz in his final 2 years of junior hockey was one of the most feared physical presence in the WHL... fought any/all tough guys in that league (despite being a prominent offensive factor for his team), and I both saw and heard of how intimidated many scrappers were when they faced the hitmen.

White was never anywhere remotely close to that type of player, nor was Blunden.

IF his skating/overall play reach the level where he can play 4th line minutes in the NHL, I think he'll be a more willing and capable fighter than guys like Moen/Blunden/White. Perhaps not a full fledge "heavyweitght" based on size alone, but a bigger/stronger rick rypien type who will take on all comers and do much more damage with his fists than a moen/blunden/white can.

Old
01-20-2012, 08:45 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Yup good read. I think you were harsh with Berger as he really didn't have enough time to get a better grade jumping from Oshawa to Hamilton and being injured.
Berger has really struggled in all the AHL games he's played, the injury didn't help matters but before the injury he couldn't really do anything. I likely saw every game he's played in the AHL and it wasn't pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Unlikely unless injuries hit really hard. I like the improvement he's made from last year, so the hope is that he can build off this next season. He's been on the 3rd line the past few weeks and has done a good job, has picked up the offense a little as well.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Avtsin Engqvist Palushaj
DeSimone Willsie Leblanc
Dumont Masse Schultz
Nattinen Wahl Lefebvre

St-Denis Stafford
Henry Callahan
Mitera FitzGerald

Mayer

Fortier still injured but day to day. Berger, Stejskal, Fast all healthy scratches. Lawson has been cleared to play, the Habs goalie coach was working with him today.

What a nice play on the Palushaj goal, tick tac toe passing. Engqvist, Schultz, Palushaj, Masse, having good games.

Willsie 6 PP(Stafford, Palushaj)
Masse 7 (Schultz)
Palushaj 12 (Engqvist, FitzGerald)
Dumont 7 (Schultz, Masse)
Is Palushaj offering a solid input? I think he did ok in the limited role he had when he was with the big club. In light of Gionta's injury, who would be the best winger for Bourque – Plekanec: Palushaj or Leblanc?

I am a huge fan of Leblanc but the kid is just not physically ready imo. Bourque – Plekanec – Palushaj seems like a solid line to me.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
admittedly I haven't seen much of Schultz at the AHL level, but I don't think he's at all comparable to White in the toughness/intimidation/fighting department.

Schultz in his final 2 years of junior hockey was one of the most feared physical presence in the WHL... fought any/all tough guys in that league (despite being a prominent offensive factor for his team), and I both saw and heard of how intimidated many scrappers were when they faced the hitmen.

White was never anywhere remotely close to that type of player, nor was Blunden.

IF his skating/overall play reach the level where he can play 4th line minutes in the NHL, I think he'll be a more willing and capable fighter than guys like Moen/Blunden/White. Perhaps not a full fledge "heavyweitght" based on size alone, but a bigger/stronger rick rypien type who will take on all comers and do much more damage with his fists than a moen/blunden/white can.
He drops the gloves more than White did, no doubt about that.

My point though is just being wiling to drop the gloves won't be enough if he doesn't become a much better hockey player. He needs to continue his progression, he cant get stuck as a bad 3rd liner / decent 4th liner in the AHL, and expect his fists alone to get him to the NHL.

He needs to be able to take a regular shift, even if its just 4th line minutes, and not be a liability in order to make the NHL. He's not there yet, and there is some question in my mind if he'll ever get there. He's got a lot of work to do.

We look at the Bruins with these things, but even their "enforcer" Thornton can play the game, at least at a 4th line level. He's actually a pretty decent hockey player, and isn't a liability at 8-10 minutes a game. Thats what Shulz needs to become, at minimum, in terms of hockey skill or their won't be a place in the league for him.

Because of the lack of true heavyweight size, I can't see him making it as a 2 minute goon. If he's a liability on the ice, teams will just bypass him for the liability who is at least a true heavyweight (And there are plenty of those in the AHL).

Old
01-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Is Palushaj offering a solid input? I think he did ok in the limited role he had when he was with the big club. In light of Gionta's injury, who would be the best winger for Bourque – Plekanec: Palushaj or Leblanc?

I am a huge fan of Leblanc but the kid is just not physically ready imo. Bourque – Plekanec – Palushaj seems like a solid line to me.
Palushaj is red hot. He's over a PPG for the season and leads the team in points. This dispite playing like 12-14 games less than everyone else on the team, due to the time he spent in Montreal.

He's been especially hot recently, really tearing it up.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:34 AM
TinordiandSubban

Highlights are up, Schulz #21 makes two really nice passes.

http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/vide...autostart=true

Old
01-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
Highlights are up, Schulz #21 makes two really nice passes.

http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/vide...autostart=true
Funny how they misspelled Milwaukee.

Old
01-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Protest the Hero

Palushaj just looks like he has no confidence in the NHL. Always deferring to his more experience linemates, I know he's a pass first guy, but I'd like to see him hold onto the puck longer, and really take control of the play like he seems to be able to do in the AHL, or try to.

We've seen he can hustle, and finish his hits, but next time he's called up he has to be a playmaker, not a grinder.

Old
01-20-2012, 10:36 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post

Yes, Palushaj is playing very well for the Dogs, the duo of Engqivst -Palushaj have been on a major tear and a huge reason behind the Dogs turnaround in the season after a brutal November.

I would go with Leblanc over Palushaj, but neither are physically ready although I think Leblanc's smarts and grit would be a better addition plus he's showed more in the NHL then Palushaj did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
He drops the gloves more than White did, no doubt about that
White drops the gloves more then Schultz does in the AHL. In White's 2nd pro season he had 14 fights per his fight card, that's more Schultz's has had in his AHL career. I know that in juniors Schultz fought more then White, but not in Hamilton.

Closed Thread