HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kolbe Out, Walton In as Radio Voice

Old
07-06-2011, 05:46 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Probably a caps radio guy generation gap here of those that listened to Weber versus Kolbe..understandable in the common sense manner. Geezers vs. the Younglings..the age old battle .
I never got much exposure to Weber, but it's still pretty obvious to me that Kolbe is downright awful. Nice guy, but horrible as a play by play man.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:53 AM
txpd

useil, weber had his style and you can argue that one way or the other from old school to more modern. kenny albert is current and he describes the game more often than not.
kolbe's major problem appeared to be an inability to talk off the top of his head. he needed prepared material.

that show prep he relied on far too much. as a result very often significant events would happen on the ice that he would not even see. if it were a road game where he was solo, he would have to wait for the replay to tell you what happened.

there is no excuse for multiple goals to go in the net and the listen not know what team scored them much less how they scored. he missed penalties almost as a rule.

to underline kolbe's problem any interview with kolbe on another media would result in a non-stop delivery of this prep/stats and stories. often on a program like NHL Live where he would be asked a question about what HE thought about a Caps situation, Kolbe would answer with stats rather than any analysis. in otherwords he couldnt tell the questioner what he thought.

when johansson and ovechkin had that long two on zero where they passed the puck back and forth at least twice the fact that he was unable to work johansson's name or the fact that it was a two on zero into his description is glaring. its not that hard.

lastly, when he was trying to describe the game, he couldnt very well. you never knew which side of the ice the puck was on. its because he couldnt think quickly.

walton and mishken who have both been talked about here can tell a listener where the puck is and as a rule which player and which team has it. i dont think ive ever heard mishken scream SCOOOOOORREEEEEEE out of the middle of a sentence about marty st louis career scoring vs an opponent.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Honest to god...I dont know how anyone new or old can like Kolbe. At all. He's freaking terrible.

If they rehire him in this new role...it's a stupid hire.

#TeamWalton

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:40 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Who's the guy you hear in the Verizon Center bathrooms? That's the only audio feed I've heard. If I'm not at the game I really only watch on TV if it's available. Haven't used a radio since I stopped driving to work.
Senator Larry Craig from Idaho

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:14 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Senator Larry Craig from Idaho
:flee:

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Duke33

Met Kolbe twice at a couple chalk talks, very nice guy, fun to talk to. But lousy play by play. Can't count the times I'd be listening to senseless babble or jibberish then suddenly out of nowhere "Backstrom scooooooooooores!" I'd be like huh? what?

Walton's another nice guy. Maybe a teeny bit too bombastic for my taste but still would be a big improvement with the play by play.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr14 View Post
get rid of jonathan warner. guy is the biggest homer on the face of the planet
Dude...that guy is the WORST! I'm convinced he either does the broadcast on his knees or ass up. A Caps player could strangle a fan on ice and Warner would be like, "oh I think you're being harsh on him"...just a terrible company yes man.

He makes me sick every damn postgame show that I can stomach through driving home...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Never heard Walton...hope he's as good as you guys are suggesting if he gets it.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:38 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Never heard Walton...hope he's as good as you guys are suggesting if he gets it.
If you look up some Hershey Bears highlight videos on youtube you can sample some of his work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHersheyBears

Old
07-06-2011, 03:47 PM
aaronk21214

I listen to a lot of home and away games on XM…

Kolbe’s not as bad as people let on. He’s average, and a lot better than some.

Walton’s great, but I feel as if he’s becoming more and more of a homer every time I listen to him. That may be because I listen almost exclusively to Hershey playoff games. He might be more “Fair and Balanced” in the regular season.

I like Dan Kamal (former Atlanta guy). He was not picked up in Winnipeg, so he’s on the short list of regional talent. He sounds young, but not as nerdy-hip as that guy from Florida with all the movie quotes. I like the way he celebrates goals, excited but not overly loud. He had a weird way of saying “Atlanta” when they scored (“Ad-lahnna”). Maybe that’s how locals do it.

All in all, I think the increased responsibility of the position means they’ll look long and hard at Walton. He does so much more for the Bears than the radio. Wonder if this spells a demotion/layoff for Mike Vogel?

PS., say no to having the TV audio be your radio feed. This only works if the TV guy specifically calls it like a radio broadcast (in other words, radio audio on TV good, TV audio on radio bad). The only one that does it well is the guy from Buffalo. The TV call leaves too much out (as it should, you’ve probably got your own set of eyeballs).

aaronk21214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:49 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'd rather have a huge homer than a guy who gets just as excited when the opposition scores and gives you virtually no idea of what's going on during play.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:54 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd rather have a huge homer than a guy who gets just as excited when the opposition scores and gives you virtually no idea of what's going on during play.
In general, a homer who acknowledges his bias is fine, and if he's an otherwise competent play-by-play guy then it's clearly an upgrade over an unbiased incompetent.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:05 PM
aaronk21214

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
In general, a homer who acknowledges his bias is fine, and if he's an otherwise competent play-by-play guy then it's clearly an upgrade over an unbiased incompetent.
Competency is king, but for me, I appreciate it when a play-by-play man respects the other team’s abilities. If the other team does something spectacular, it’s almost as exciting as if your team did it, especially if the game is close. Some announces flat out bury anything the other team does well.

Also, as someone who listens to a lot of games on the radio, sometime you can miss a score by the other team if there isn’t at least some energy in the call. You’re driving, zoning out a little bit, and all of a sudden the score’s not what you think it is because there was a goal and the announcer just sort of read off the box score and kept on with whatever he was chatting about.

Those are the two biggest symptoms of a homer announcer.

aaronk21214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Devil Dancer

Who is Kolbe's color guy? Because that man is a complete and total idiot.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:17 PM
txpd

i prefer a homer that gives me a clear view of what happened. joe michaletti for instance. recall colton orr crosschecking ovechkin in the head away from the play. he said straight up that it was a cheap shot.

i dont want to be listening to the radio and hearing that my guy (orr) just got jobbed and think that til i see some video.

this is where i think joe b and locker are solid.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:23 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Ken Sabourin..good guy too. Played D with him at that first PCOI Dave Fay things.

07-06-2011, 05:23 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
It had been Ken Sabourin, no? Not sure if he was still there this past season though.

Old
07-15-2011, 11:00 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I've hit Walton with a few tweets but he hasn't taken the bait yet.

They better get this done.

Old
07-15-2011, 11:09 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I've hit Walton with a few tweets but he hasn't taken the bait yet.

They better get this done.
Funny was just wondering about this right before coming here. I hope so to re: walton.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:14 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

He was going on the other days about all the places he'll go to with the Bears this season so I hit him with the "Oh you wont miss the AHL buses much with those NHL charter flights this season." kinda line. He didn't bite.

Old
07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
HockeyTS32

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr14 View Post
get rid of jonathan warner. guy is the biggest homer on the face of the planet

Not even that, he knows NOTHING about hockey imo

HockeyTS32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:11 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

http://dumpnchase.com/?p=880

Boom. So long Kolbe.

Old
08-09-2011, 11:12 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
http://dumpnchase.com/?p=880

Boom. So long Kolbe.
Holy cow Walton is in. There will be happy people here. NO DOOM AND GLOOM PLEASE!

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Awesome. Hershey games won't be the same but I'll have to check out catch his Caps pxp. Might even end up preferring it to the TV crew.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Mwd711

Walton Named Caps Radio Voice

From http://paranoidpuck.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/walto/
Quote:
Longtime Washington Capitals radio man Steve Kolbe has been replaced by Hershey Bears play by play man John Walton. Walton spent nine seasons as the voice of the Bears and before that also called hockey games as the voice of the CCHA’s Miami University and AHL’s Cincinnati Mighty Ducks. Walton is one of the longest tenured announcers in the AHL and is one of the most popular as well. He called his 1,000th AHL game this past season.
Sad to see Kolbe go. I really liked him but I'm looking forward to hearing Walton as I've only heard great things about him. If Steve has to go, this is probably the best choice to take over.

Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote