HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kolbe Out, Walton In as Radio Voice

Old
08-10-2011, 04:10 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
nbtw...we know the real reason that leonsis sacrificed the best radio play by play man in the league. market researched showed that the fan base wnted someone fired. so ted chose kolbe. mcphee agreed.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:28 PM
sycamore

I'm curious why you guys despised Kolbe so much. Is it that he didnt measure up Weber, his inabiliity to control his excitement at times, what exactly?

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:50 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

A listener had virtually no idea what was happening in the game while Kolbe was calling a game--which is the primary job of a radio play-by-play guy. Joe Beninati is a better PBP guy, and he's on TV, where the viewer doesn't need any play-by-play.

His excitement at the other team scoring also wasn't particularly endearing.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:13 PM
sycamore

I always had this ugly suspicion that he was despised because of his working class roots. You could tell from his accent that he was not from a middle class background -- he grew up in Catonsville, Md (not exactly Chevy Chase or Rockville) -- and I suspect a lot of people didn't like someone of a blue-collar upbringing holding a prestige position like play-by-play caller for the Washington Capitals.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Atlas

Kolbe was unskilled as a broadcaster. He simply chose the wrong profession for himself--just like Kanye West.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
I always had this ugly suspicion that he was despised because of his working class roots. You could tell from his accent that he was not from a middle class background -- he grew up in Catonsville, Md (not exactly Chevy Chase or Rockville) -- and I suspect a lot of people didn't like someone of a blue-collar upbringing holding a prestige position like play-by-play caller for the Washington Capitals.
That might be the single most absurd argument I've ever seen on these boards, and there have been some dandies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Uh...Are you being serious?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:53 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
That might be the single most absurd argument I've ever seen on these boards, and there have been some dandies.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:09 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Come on now. Like any job it comes down to performance. I've played hockey with Kolbe and wish him the best as he is a very nice guy. But when it comes down to it with play by play Walton is flat out better.

I'm sure there is an age as far as caps fan thing here. Back in the day for west coast swings radio is all that we had. Still remember the quality drop Weber to Kolbe. Still wish Kolbe the best though....sigh.

08-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Mothra

Quote:
or.....he just stunk

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:22 AM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
nbtw...we know the real reason that leonsis sacrificed the best radio play by play man in the league. market researched showed that the fan base wnted someone fired. so ted chose kolbe. mcphee agreed.
Best play-by-play man in the league? Stay off the crack. Who else have you listened to? Kolbe, despite being a nice guy, was one of, if not the, worst radio play-by-play guys in the NHL. He wouldn't be the best in the ECHL. To put it bluntly, the guy is a no-talent who lucked into an incredible situation. He was able to stay there for years because the team was awful, drew flies, and no one cared. Now that the team has a following, that weakness got exposed and management made a change for the better.

Second of all, it's not McPhee's decision. McPhee doesn't have anything to do with the business decisions.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:43 AM
pgreene

someone's sarcasm detection meter must still be in a drunk tank in dallas...

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:57 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
LOL...yeah no. Couldn't be further from the truth. His play by play was average at best. Often times he missed entire buildups to goals and the listeners had no clue what happened. He's supposed to paint a picture as a radio man....he didn't do it well. The exuberant reaction to opposing goals was annoying...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie20 View Post
Best play-by-play man in the league? Stay off the crack. Who else have you listened to? Kolbe, despite being a nice guy, was one of, if not the, worst radio play-by-play guys in the NHL. He wouldn't be the best in the ECHL. To put it bluntly, the guy is a no-talent who lucked into an incredible situation. He was able to stay there for years because the team was awful, drew flies, and no one cared. Now that the team has a following, that weakness got exposed and management made a change for the better.

Second of all, it's not McPhee's decision. McPhee doesn't have anything to do with the business decisions.
You must be new to veiled sarcasm....

Old
08-11-2011, 03:44 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
You must be new to veiled sarcasm....
Where was the veil?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Where was the veil?
When you've read TXPDs posts as long as some of us, you get to know when he's deadpanning in a post.

Old
08-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
When you've read TXPDs posts as long as some of us, you get to know when he's deadpanning in a post.
He said, "where was the veil?". He thinks txpd's sarcasm was obvious. I don't know how you misunderstood that.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Francesa

Kolbe was alright. Look forward to the Walton era.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:35 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
He said, "where was the veil?". He thinks txpd's sarcasm was obvious. I don't know how you misunderstood that.
You're right....I should stop boozing at business lunches.

Old
08-11-2011, 10:51 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Sample:

Crosby, dumps the puck into the zone, Alzner goes back for it. So anyhow, there was this peanut butter sandwich. I like white bread, but this had wheat. And the jam was strawberry, not raspberry. And Ovechkin scoooooores!

That is what made Kolbe great.

I hated what the team did to Weber and cannot wait for the Walton era to start.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Francesa

I just hope I can pick up the game on radio. Might have to listen online. When it gets dark out the AM radio signal goes to ****.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:50 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
The Capitals texted him to inform him that he hadn't been chosen. He did not have a job with the Capitals at the time, so there was nothing for him to be fired from. Really, they didn't even need to contact him at all, but probably did so because of his past relationship with the organization.

Also, dpj0122 is the guy who was outraged that the Capitals-Penguins Super Bowl Sunday game wasn't canceled because of the snow storm. Everyone should disregard whatever he says.
That's plain STUPID. The guy was the voice of the team for thirteen friggin' years. A classy organization doesn't treat a long time employee like that. Sorry. And I say that as someone who is not a fan of Kolbe's work.

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:52 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
That's plain STUPID. The guy was the voice of the team for thirteen friggin' years. A classy organization doesn't treat people like that. Sorry.
Nope. Not at all.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:56 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Nope. Not at all.

The Redskins are hardly a model that the Caps should be emulating.

Old
08-12-2011, 04:58 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Talk about an ironic post.................