HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kolbe Out, Walton In as Radio Voice

Old
08-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Hale Dunter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
That's plain STUPID. The guy was the voice of the team for thirteen friggin' years. A classy organization doesn't treat a long time employee like that. Sorry. And I say that as someone who is not a fan of Kolbe's work.
Agreed. They should never have led him to believe he had *any* chance of getting the job in the first place. If they wanted to get a new PBP guy, fine. Tell the old one you're fired and hire a new one. Dont jerk the guy around telling him he can "apply for the job", that is really classless, if true.

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:25 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
Talk about an ironic post.................
Please enlighten me, oh wise drama queen.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Foy

I just saw this thread and remembered that Walton was in and Kolbe was out. I smiled inside. And outside.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 02:24 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale Dunter View Post
Agreed. They should never have led him to believe he had *any* chance of getting the job in the first place. If they wanted to get a new PBP guy, fine. Tell the old one you're fired and hire a new one. Dont jerk the guy around telling him he can "apply for the job", that is really classless, if true.
Late on this, but I should point out something: Kolbe was on a year-to-year contract. He was told in-house that the Capitals were changing his part-time play-by-play job to a full-time Director of Broadcasting position, which meant his current job no longer existed and that he was essentially out of a job. It simply wasn't a matter of "getting a new play-by-play guy." The Capitals were open from the beginning that they would consider all candidates, which only makes sense because of the change in position. If Kolbe felt "jerked around," then he's incredibly naive, because it was obvious that he wouldn't be simply handed the new position because of his play-by-play service, which was now only one part of the new job, and because he didn't have all of the qualifications for the new position.

Suppose they told Kolbe that he wasn't allowed to apply for the new position? Would that be classy?

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Hale Dunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
Late on this, but I should point out something: Kolbe was on a year-to-year contract. He was told in-house that the Capitals were changing his part-time play-by-play job to a full-time Director of Broadcasting position, which meant his current job no longer existed and that he was essentially out of a job. It simply wasn't a matter of "getting a new play-by-play guy." The Capitals were open from the beginning that they would consider all candidates, which only makes sense because of the change in position. If Kolbe felt "jerked around," then he's incredibly naive, because it was obvious that he wouldn't be simply handed the new position because of his play-by-play service, which was now only one part of the new job, and because he didn't have all of the qualifications for the new position.

Suppose they told Kolbe that he wasn't allowed to apply for the new position? Would that be classy?
Oh, come on. What if they were in love with his PBP style? Would they still not consider him because he lacked "qualifications for the new position"? (Which are what exactly?) Clearly the most important part of that job (by far) is the PBP, they aren't going to hire a hack PBP guy that has some other nebulous "qualifications", right?

The point is, if they liked him, they would have kept him. And since they obviously didn't like him, they should have just told him as much. And perhaps they did, what do I know?

I honestly wasnt a huge Kolbe fan either but I think teams are treading on thin PR ice whenever they make this kind of change and it pays to err on the side of complete fairness, honesty, and generosity when it comes to a 13 year employee who is the public voice of the team.

And again, I am only basing this on what I have read here. They could have given they guy a fat severance package for all I know.

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:29 AM
txpd

i am a radio station program director by trade. i have more than 20 years in that business. Ive mentioned that Kolbe sucked but was working what amounted to a part time job. That has been backed up in this change.

The team decided that it was time to create a fulltime budget line in order to get a major league quality broadcaster to continue to build their image. It was clear last season that Kolbe was being exposed as inferior as the multimedia usage of his work on NHL.com and the NHL Network expanded to a critical point. Anyone that heard him interviewed during an NHL Live show could see he was not up the same quality of his peers.

In order to justify a fulltime budget line the Capitals have added multimedia/online duties to the broadcasting, but make no mistake about it. This was the Washington Capitals moving from a part time broadcaster that they hired when they had to buy all their air time on secondary radio stations just to keep their games on the air, to a time where Caps radio casts are capable of drawing competition for the rights and actual ratings on the radio. Steve Kolbe had no chance to keep that job once it went from a part time job held by a hobbyist to a fulltime job held by a major league quality professional.

Kolbe would be wise to be grateful that he got the chance to do what he has been doing for as long as he had the chance.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:01 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Walton's new Twitter: @WaltonCaps

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:20 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale Dunter View Post
Oh, come on. What if they were in love with his PBP style? Would they still not consider him because he lacked "qualifications for the new position"? (Which are what exactly?) Clearly the most important part of that job (by far) is the PBP, they aren't going to hire a hack PBP guy that has some other nebulous "qualifications", right?

The point is, if they liked him, they would have kept him. And since they obviously didn't like him, they should have just told him as much. And perhaps they did, what do I know?
No, they're going to hire somebody who has *all* of the qualifications and experience to handle the new job, which Walton has with his work with Hershey (where he did more than just the PBP). What you suggest--that they wouldn't hire a hack play-by-play guy who has some of the other qualifications for the job--doesn't even apply in this case. The Capitals want somebody who could fulfill all of the requirements of the new position, not just one part of it, no matter how important. That meant opening up the hiring process to outside candidates rather than simply giving Kolbe a new contract.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:29 PM
txpd

the truth is that if they caps had a chance to hire, say....kenny albert, they would have done it even with the fact that he could not have done the website/multimedia work that they have walton in for. make no mistake that this position was designed with walton in mind.

if the guy they wanted had a different set of prime skills, the job descript might well have been significantly different.

the bottom line here was that the capitals were moving away from a radio product that was of secondary value with a part time outside contractor handling the work to an in house full time position.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:09 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Actually just catching up on the caps report from yesterday. Walton sounds great even in that format.

08-25-2011, 01:19 PM
BobRouse

Wow..do you guys really listen to the radio for Caps games that often???

Maybe if I'm driving I will tune in for updates here and there but thats it. With the internet and NHL center ice/CSN showing everygame...I don't see the need for radio but then again I don't know everyones situation.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 01:24 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

Maybe if I'm driving I will tune in for updates here and there but thats it. With the internet and NHL center ice/CSN showing everygame...I don't see the need for radio but then again I don't know everyones situation.
I listen traveling to, from and during Bears games. Good ol' hockey overload!

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Foy

Quote:

It's also the website stuff, the post game show on the drive home from games, the Caps report, all of that.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
This much fuss being made over the Caps hiring Walton and Kolbe leaving is amusing, frankly. I'm surprised it didn't happen much earlier. The organization upgraded. Big-time. Of couse, people complained when the team didn't re-sign Brian Willsie, too. The first time.

Oh, and there's only been one "Voice of the Capitals".

Last edited by Marshall: 08-26-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:

My reaction as well. I agree with this wholeheartedly. Radio... it's like we're in the 1930s.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Yeah, most Caps fans talk about Joe B and watch the game on CSN. For me, there's no cable here, so I pretty much have no choice but to listen to radio. It's all online now, since the AM signal for the Caps goes to **** at night.

Looking forward to the new era.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Every single Caps game ends on free video streaming services within about five minutes of the drop of the puck, though. Every time they shut down a US node, they open up again in Montenegro or some other spot.

If you have the Internet, you have Beninati and Laughlin.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Anyway, Walton tweeted back at me after I told him I was looking forward to listening to his calls this year. "Thanks"

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Actually just catching up on the caps report from yesterday. Walton sounds great even in that format.
Actually, this brings up an interesting point about the potential dynamic - Walton's new energy, excited, fresh from being basically the mdeia face/voice of the most storied AHL franchise ever, vice Vogel's somewhat weary jaded views.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 11:01 AM
txpd

i could be wrong, but i think there are some that are so against the people running this team that even releasing a generally disliked radio broadcaster would stir up criticism.

Old
09-01-2011, 01:03 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Per Bears twitter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHersheyBears
Bears announced today that Scott Stuccio has been named the team's new Broadcaster and Media Relations Coordinator

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 03:28 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Heh. I see that tool Jonathan Warner is gone. The turnover is complete.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=69030

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote