Winnipeg Jets re-sign Andrew Ladd - 5 Years

Old
07-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
No way on God's green earth, dude. We're keeping him forever.

Maybe you can work with the Islanders and try to get the rights to David Toews.

How about Benny for Jonathan?

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 50
Looks like Andrew Ladd got a modified NTC in his deal, and a signing bonus of 3 million spread out over the first 3 years.

Quote:
reporterchris Chris Johnston
Interesting. RT @capgeek: #NHL #NHLJets Andrew Ladd gets a modified NTC and a couple million in signing bonuses *******/pE7b5a
Here Capgeek breaks down the contract.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...K5SfPc.twitter

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Looks like Andrew Ladd got a modified NTC in his deal, and a signing bonus of 3 million spread out over the first 3 years.

Here Capgeek breaks down the contract.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...K5SfPc.twitter
Can someone explain how the signing bonus works with the cap hit and the salary?

The cap hit is 22 / 5 = 4.4. But the 22 million is the addition of just the yearly salaries.

Is the signing bonus external to the cap hit, i.e. he will get an additional 3 million over the contract for a total of 25 million?

Or is it that in year 1 his actual salary is 4 million with 1 million being a signing bonus? So he gets the 1 million up front, and then 3 million is averaged out over the course of the year?

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:41 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Hustler and Lawless had a good interview on 1290 with Andrew yesterday and when asked why he signed with Winnipeg long term he said:

1. Chevy: Andrew said he knows Kevin and Chevy sets the tone in the organization!! unfortunately I had reception issues right when Lawless asked Ladd if Chevy had the goods to build a championship team

2. Ladd mentioned he wanted to stay put on this team because he likes his role on the team (Captain) and he wasn't sure if he would be able to get the same role on another team. he liked his team mates and wants to settle down in one city.

3. last point he made was TNSE and how he was treated on his visit to town. he liked all the people in the organization and realized how excited they were to be in the NHL and how committed they were to being a first class organization to play for.

All in all yesterday was a big day for our organization and it sounds like our new captain couldnít be happier either

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
I love seeing this stuff...

Quote:
ďTo be back in Canada Ö is a big thing for any hockey player,Ē Ladd said. ďTo say I havenít been thinking about our first game next year and what the atmosphere is going to be like, Iíd by lying.

ďItís been on my mind a lot and itís something thatís been driving the excitement in my life right now. Itís going to be fun to be back in Western Canada. My family can jump on a flight and get there pretty quick. And my fiancťe has lots of family in the area, too, so itís going to be great for both of us.

ďIím just excited to get going.Ē

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2087282/

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Can someone explain how the signing bonus works with the cap hit and the salary?

The cap hit is 22 / 5 = 4.4. But the 22 million is the addition of just the yearly salaries.

Is the signing bonus external to the cap hit, i.e. he will get an additional 3 million over the contract for a total of 25 million?

Or is it that in year 1 his actual salary is 4 million with 1 million being a signing bonus? So he gets the 1 million up front, and then 3 million is averaged out over the course of the year?
A big thanks to the always reliable Illegal Curve via twitter, they answer your question.

Quote:
IllegalCurve Illegal Curve Hockey
According to @capgeek, Andrew Ladd's contract w/ @NHLJets includes a signing bonus of $3 million dollars--no salary cap impact though

Old
07-06-2011, 10:17 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

good to see the captain finally re-signed. Will be interested to see what happens with Bogosian. I'm guessing Wheeler will be signed before arbitration.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Huffer

Quote:
A big thanks to the always reliable Illegal Curve via twitter, they answer your question.
Well, it doesn't really answer my question.

I am going to have to assume that the signing bonus is taken off the yearly salary (i.e he is getting 1 million right away and then a 3 million dollar salary in year 1).

That has to be the only way. If signing bonuses did not count against the cap, we would have already seen big money teams throw around 5 + million dollar signing bonuses in order to sign a whole bunch of stars with lower cap hits.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
This was my favorite part from the Free Press article:

But it was when the 25-year-old Maple Ridge, B.C., product few into Winnipeg last month -- on his own dime, no less -- to meet with owner Mark Chipman, general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff and assistant GM Craig Heisinger to tour the arena and shake some hands that the team's big thinkers became convinced of this:

They absolutely, positively had to get the 25-year-old locked up as soon as possible.

"The thing that was most impressive to me," Cheveldayoff said, "was (after the meeting last month) he went back to his hotel and sent emails and text messages to all the other players on the team, talking about the facility, talking about the friendliness, talking about the ownership, talking about the vision.

"I didn't get a chance to speak to the players until the next day and they all, to a man, said, 'Oh yeah, Laddy already talked to us.'

"Those are the key characteristics you want in your leader."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...125063109.html

Old
07-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Well, it doesn't really answer my question.

I am going to have to assume that the signing bonus is taken off the yearly salary (i.e he is getting 1 million right away and then a 3 million dollar salary in year 1).

That has to be the only way. If signing bonuses did not count against the cap, we would have already seen big money teams throw around 5 + million dollar signing bonuses in order to sign a whole bunch of stars with lower cap hits.
You make great points, as it would be a huge loophole for teams to use when signing players. So, i'm not entirely sure...

I believe a signing bonus is an additional pay to the player that doesn't effect the cap hit, in this case anyway.

Christian Ehrhoff for example has a similar deal. He gets $4,000,000 cap hit, but in the first year gets an $8,000,000 signing bonus and in year two he gets a $5,000,000 signing bonus. Over the duration of his 10 year deal, he will receive 40 million dollars, however the signing bonus of a total of $14,000,000 is additional salary, I believe.

It's tricky... is it a loophole? I don't know.. perhaps someone can help explain the ins and outs here.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Sweech
COYS!

The modified NTC is no surprise to me. I was actually surprised to find out that he originally did not have one. The whole point of him wanting the long term deal was to set down family roots here and that would be slightly difficult if you got traded.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Huffer

Quote:
You make great points, as it would be a huge loophole for teams to use when signing players. So, i'm not entirely sure...

I believe a signing bonus is an additional pay to the player that doesn't effect the cap hit, in this case anyway.

Christian Ehrhoff for example has a similar deal. He gets $4,000,000 cap hit, but in the first year gets an $8,000,000 signing bonus and in year two he gets a $5,000,000 signing bonus. Over the duration of his 10 year deal, he will receive 40 million dollars, however the signing bonus of a total of $14,000,000 is additional salary, I believe.

It's tricky... is it a loophole? I don't know.. perhaps someone can help explain the ins and outs here.
Exactly Guerzy, the Ehrhoff example is even better to illustrate this.

It HAS to be that the 8 million he is getting in year 1 makes his salary actually 2 million over the course of the year.

The Sabres can't be giving him 18 million actual dollars this year, and 13 million actual dollars next year. That 14 million can't just be "extra", can it? That would throw the whole salary cap system out the window.

If signing bonuses didn't count against the salary, and ergo the cap, wouldn't we have already seen the Leafs, Habs, Rangers, etc, throwing out crazy high signing bonuses so that they could bring cap numbers down and therefore sign more stars?

Old
07-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Totally agree, Huffer. It's an odd situation, very odd, I think. I'm totally with you that what we're seeing here, if we're understanding it right, is a total loophole for teams to stay on the low end of the 'cap' and simply give a bonus to that player.

There has to be an answer to this somewhere.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:35 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Rich did some analysis of the extension.

RFA Analysis: Analyzing the Andrew Ladd Contract

Tuesday was a big day in the history of the Winnipeg Jets 2.0. Team captain and points leader Andrew Ladd was signed to a five-year contract (to read Laddís comments on the signing click here) for a total payout of $22 million dollars. That, of course, equates to an annual salary cap hit of $4.4 million per season.

The contract will see him paid $4.0 million in 2011/12, or his final restricted free agent (RFA) season, followed by the next four seasons at $4.5 million per. Beginning in 2012/13 Ladd would have been an unrestricted free agent (UFA) and open to sign with whatever team he wished. That is what made the timing of this contract so important.

Make no mistake, Andrew Laddís agent rightfully waited for July 1 to hit prior to penning his client to any form of long-term agreement. Ladd flew into Winnipeg in early June, said all the rights things to the media and held much more leverage than the Jets in this negotiation.

More after jump.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgMikos View Post
Rich did some analysis of the extension.

RFA Analysis: Analyzing the Andrew Ladd Contract

Tuesday was a big day in the history of the Winnipeg Jets 2.0. Team captain and points leader Andrew Ladd was signed to a five-year contract (to read Laddís comments on the signing click here) for a total payout of $22 million dollars. That, of course, equates to an annual salary cap hit of $4.4 million per season.

The contract will see him paid $4.0 million in 2011/12, or his final restricted free agent (RFA) season, followed by the next four seasons at $4.5 million per. Beginning in 2012/13 Ladd would have been an unrestricted free agent (UFA) and open to sign with whatever team he wished. That is what made the timing of this contract so important.

Make no mistake, Andrew Laddís agent rightfully waited for July 1 to hit prior to penning his client to any form of long-term agreement. Ladd flew into Winnipeg in early June, said all the rights things to the media and held much more leverage than the Jets in this negotiation.

More after jump.
Will you guys be making the interview you will do with Cheveldayoff on your show tonight available on you website?

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:27 PM
dkehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Red pants for whoever wanted it:
That was me and thanks again!

dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote