HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins to host prospect development camp from 7/11 - 7/16

Old
07-17-2011, 04:28 PM
SEALBound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
Exactly. He won't. 1st line in WBS

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Sullivan
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Asham-Adams-Jeffrey/MacIntyre

Where is Letestu even going to play?

Line-up's already set
I'm sure there will be injuries. There will be poor play by someone at some point. He'll get in.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 04:52 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Wow I like how one video has changed everyone's opinions about Bennett. Sounds completely reasonable.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Jacob

I'm not talking about his skills, which are fine, I'm talking about his personality and what kind of person he is. He strikes me as aloof and non-chalante.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 04:57 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I'm not real sure about Beau Bennett.

I'm not talking about his skills, which are fine, I'm talking about his personality and what kind of person he is. He strikes me as aloof and non-chalante.
I don't have any major worries about Bennett. I do share some concern about that last part, but that may also simply resolve with maturity & age.

However it does seem apparent that he will need more time than we anticipated. The skill is there, and he seems like a good character kid with a good work ethic. The Pens staff (based on comments from Bylsma & Hynes) seems to think highly of him. I simply think he'll need that 3rd year in Denver, instead of leaving after 2. I don't think that changes the long-term outcome.

Quote:
He would make it through waivers, IMO

N. Johnson will too
Johnson will, but I don't think Vitale will. He has just shown too many tools -- speed, toughness/tenacity, face-off ability, etc -- that one of the lousy teams in the league will happily take him for nothing more than the waiver fee.

And as mentioned, he plays "Penguins hockey". I think he is the long-term replacement for Adams. I'd rather keep him and get a decent return for Letestu than lose Vitae for nothing.

Quote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Sullivan
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy

Line-up's already set
I don't think that's the line-up or that anything is set. I think this is better:

Kunit--Crosby--Neal
Staal--Malkin--Kennedy
Tangradi--Jeffrey--Sullivan
Cooke--Adams--Dupuis
Asham
Vitale

That's 14 forwards, and enough extra to fill in for injury. If Jeffrey isn't ready to start the year, Letestu or Vitale fills in until he's back. If Tangradi doesn't make the team, than we keep both both Letestu & Vitale, and we're still only carrying 14 forwards.

Last edited by jmelm: 07-17-2011 at 05:28 PM.
jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Yeah. I'm hoping the laid-back surfer vibe is just a SoCal cultural-difference thing.

Quote:
Exactly. He won't. 1st line in WBS

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Sullivan
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy

Line-up's already set
Why would you put MacIntyre in over him, when Letestu was a regular contributor for us on a one-way contract last year and Shero's gone on record as saying nothing is guaranteed for SMac, who's on a two-way deal?

Letestu would fit in comfortably centering the 3rd or 4th line, depending on how DB wants to configure the line-up. We also, as a mediocre faceoff team, happen to need his elite skills in the dot more than anything SMac could offer us on a regular basis. As has been pointed out, he's a nuclear option.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:08 PM
SEALBound

Quote:

Not everyone has Sid's maturity.

I think he'll be fine. I'm not at all concerned about him right now. 3-4 years from now, yes. As of right now he has a long road ahead of him.

Old
07-17-2011, 05:12 PM
SEALBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Yeah. I'm hoping the laid-back surfer vibe is just a SoCal cultural-difference thing.

Why would you put MacIntyre in over him, when Letestu was a regular contributor for us on a one-way contract last year and Shero's gone on record as saying nothing is guaranteed for SMac, who's on a two-way deal?

Letestu would fit in comfortably centering the 3rd or 4th line, depending on how DB wants to configure the line-up. We also, as a terrible faceoff team, happen to need his elite skills in the dot more than anything SMac could offer us on a regular basis. As has been pointed out, he's a nuclear option.
I can see him in over Letestu in games that you need the enforcer out there...maybe like an Islanders game? A 4th line of Asham - Adams - S-mac (Hmmm...S-Mac...Smack...nickname?) would be a nice checking line to throw out there in chippy situations

Old
07-17-2011, 05:12 PM
wej20

Quote:
that might just be the way he comes across in interviews though.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 05:52 PM
torrencemd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
ya from the videos of the camp i've seen, it looks like he's not that great of a skater, or in very good shape.
Kid was a freshman at U of Denver last yr. Put on 20 lbs over that yr and produced at a pretty impressive pace for a freshman on a team that tends to make it decently far in the frozen 4. I would be more concerned if in 2 yrs he comes back in this sort of shape. But hey maybe it was just the freshman 15?? too much xbox and pizza...

torrencemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:36 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

I'm kind of sick of seeing Adams as a center as well, he's fairly good there out of any of the other WINGERS, but he's not a better faceoff man than Letestu.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrencemd View Post
Kid was a freshman at U of Denver last yr. Put on 20 lbs over that yr and produced at a pretty impressive pace for a freshman on a team that tends to make it decently far in the frozen 4. I would be more concerned if in 2 yrs he comes back in this sort of shape. But hey maybe it was just the freshman 15?? too much xbox and pizza...
No such thing, brother.

I'd be more worried about Beau's skating than his attitude. He looked like a fool doing that drill where they had them hopping over those things.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Saw the Dangles interview... I didn't notice anything unusual. He does seem very laid back but seems like he has his priorities straight. Who knows. He's just a college kid. After another year it will be a better barometer. I don't remember how big he was last summer but he also seems to have put on some muscle. 23 lbs according to the interview so that's pretty damn good even if he's exaggerating by 6 or 7 lbs.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:48 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

I don't get why people are so focused about his personality, he seems like a California kid to me, laid back and taking everything in stride. Kind of the zen surfer boy type of deal "I'll like totally get out of this, what I put in..ride the wave broheim, ride the wave..."

He reminds me of Malkin in that way, not everyone is the "boring by the book" interview like Crosby, he could stand to let his personality out a little more.

Old
07-17-2011, 06:51 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
No such thing, brother.

I'd be more worried about Beau's skating than his attitude. He looked like a fool doing that drill where they had them hopping over those things.

Which is why he probably changed his tune about going pro after next season, he now says he'll take it in stride and see what the best option is, that Denver is a good place to stay if he's not ready, to develop further.

I'm ok if he stays there for 2 more years, he says he's worked on his skating and that his first few strides are smoother, haven't seen any of the camp clips so I can't say but I think I will take HIS word for it. He has a lot of filling out to do for his 6'1" frame. Another year in Denver should get him closer to 200lbs, maybe he goes pro after that or stays another year, no rush really.

I did like hearing that Kuhnhackl can play both wings, if someone finally answers if he has actually grown, that'd be great and much appreciated.

Old
07-17-2011, 06:53 PM
JTG

I'm more concerned about Beau's skating than his personality.

Some players are just really laid back. There is a difference however in personality and compete level. The kid can be as laid back as he wants to be as long as he competes.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:00 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'm more concerned about Beau's skating than his personality.

Some players are just really laid back. There is a difference however in personality and compete level. The kid can be as laid back as he wants to be as long as he competes.
Well from the interviews he says his skating has improved, but people are hell bent on trying to figure out how big of an improvement it is. He says his first few strides are better, I'll take his word for it.

It's not like he's a lock for the big club, he's going back to his college team and will continue to work on his flaws, I am sure the team has talked to him about it, but from what I can gather, he says himself that he's improved that part his game and that instead of being for sure about going pro after 1 more year, he says now he will take his time to make that decision based on his development. Which means he now realizes, he's got a lot of work to do.

I'm not worried about him at all like a lot of people in this thread are. Guys that are super laid back off the ice, can compete hard on it. Malkin is a prime example, he's a giant goof ball off the ice it seems, but on the ice he has a bit of a temper where if you shove him, he shoves you back and then some.

With skating, it takes a bit of time to improve it as a whole, right now him improving his first few steps is a big step, it makes his stride a little smoother and more fluid regardless of how quick he is, the rest could be a strength issue as in more power in his legs from more muscle. That looks like something he knows he can work on and the short seasons in college will definitely help.

Old
07-17-2011, 07:11 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
I'm kind of sick of seeing Adams as a center as well, he's fairly good there out of any of the other WINGERS, but he's not a better faceoff man than Letestu.
So put him on RW with Vitale at C. Problem solved. Adams can play either position.

If there were injuries or another situation, I could also envision Vitale playing RW on a 4th line with Letestu at centre. There are a myriad of possibilities. One includes Letestu not being in the top 12.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Beauner
Shooter Tutor Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
No such thing, brother.

Have you ever tried doing that? It makes EVERYONE look like a fool and isn't as easy as it looks.

Obviously his skating needs work but I don't think that drill is a good thing to judge him on.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
Have you ever tried doing that? It makes EVERYONE look like a fool and isn't as easy as it looks.

Obviously his skating needs work but I don't think that drill is a good thing to judge him on.
What, you mean you can't make an assessment on a 19 y.o. kid regarding his inner make-up, strengths and weaknesses and the likelihood of him being a future top-six winger in the NHL based on an interview and couple two minute vids?

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:23 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
So put him on RW with Vitale at C. Problem solved. Adams can play either position.

If there were injuries or another situation, I could also envision Vitale playing RW on a 4th line with Letestu at centre. There are a myriad of possibilities. One includes Letestu not being in the top 12.
If Staalkin is the plan no matter what...then I want Jeffrey on that 3rd line C. I agree that Vitale makes sense on that 4th line and I definitely want to keep Adams as a RW'er. Not sure where Letestu fits. Is Letestu a better fit on that 4th line than Vitale?

Old
07-17-2011, 08:26 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
What, you mean you can't make an assessment on a 19 y.o. kid regarding his inner make-up, strengths and weaknesses and the likelihood of him being a future top-six winger in the NHL based on an interview and couple two minute vids?
exactly.

People want to over analyze EVERYTHING.

Old
07-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Beauner
Shooter Tutor Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Crazy, isn't it?

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:53 PM
JTG

Quote:
If Staalkin is the plan no matter what...then I want Jeffrey on that 3rd line C. I agree that Vitale makes sense on that 4th line and I definitely want to keep Adams as a RW'er. Not sure where Letestu fits. Is Letestu a better fit on that 4th line than Vitale?
Fit? No. Best for the team? Yes.

Gotta think about what makes the team the deepest. Letestu isn't a ideally a 4th line center, but when one of our centers goes down, would you rather have Letestu of Vitale getting bumped up? You know people are getting injuried...it's a requirement for every season.

Old
07-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I can see him in over Letestu in games that you need the enforcer out there...maybe like an Islanders game? A 4th line of Asham - Adams - S-mac (Hmmm...S-Mac...Smack...nickname?) would be a nice checking line to throw out there in chippy situations
Yep, that's a pretty limited need though.

Quote:
Since Jeffrey is garbage on faceoffs, has already transitioned well to wing once in the AHL, and Letestu has shown that he's not only great on faceoffs but a quality fit on that 3rd line, I'm not sure what kind of argument anyone would have for using Jeffrey as a 3rd line pivot and putting Letestu into limbo rather than using Letestu at 3C and moving Jeffrey to the wing.

It makes no sense to me. Like, let's throw history out the window and expose a quality young player to waivers on a hunch?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:01 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Since Jeffrey is garbage on faceoffs, has already transitioned well to wing once in the AHL, and Letestu has shown that he's not only great on faceoffs but a quality fit on that 3rd line, I'm not sure what kind of argument anyone would have for using Jeffrey as a 3rd line pivot and putting Letestu into limbo rather than using Letestu at 3C and moving Jeffrey to the wing.

It makes no sense to me. Like, let's throw history out the window and expose a quality young player to waivers on a hunch?
Glad I'm not the only one who believes this.