HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predictions for Lundqvist & Biron

Old
09-01-2011, 12:23 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Predictions for Lundqvist & Biron

Here goes!

GAA: 2.19

SV%: .920

GA:138

GS: 63

W: 38 L:21 OTL: 4 (Biron goes W:10 L:6 OTL:3)

NYR 11'-12' record: 48-27-7 103 points.

I expect a great year for Henrik, though I doubt he will crack 40 wins because Biron will be taking more of the load off his back since he'll likely have a healthier season. Regardless I think Henrik could still nab the V this year. We have a sick defense and an offense that should be improved and leave a little less pressure on Hank by staying in the offensive zone more. Given how the points added up I think this is a very fair prediction. 103 points give or take a few sounds like what we should expect this season, at least in my opinion. What are your predictions for our goalies?

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
I'm digging 103 points

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Considering Lundqvist had 92.3% last season, with the win numbers you've projected, 92% is a bit low, he would easily get higher than 92.5%

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 04:13 PM
NYR Viper

I think Hank wins the Vezina this season with a sparkling:

.930 sv pct.
41W's
67gp

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 05:25 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy3413 View Post
Considering Lundqvist had 92.3% last season, with the win numbers you've projected, 92% is a bit low, he would easily get higher than 92.5%
You're probably right, but when it comes to predictions I try to keep mine very conserative. I don't doubt Lundqvist could get a .93%+ but I'd rather underestimate than overestimate.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Artem Anisimov

I don't care what Hank does regular season. Although that seems about right.

I want him to play like Thomas in the playoffs.

Artem Anisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 05:39 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

GAA: 2.21

SV%: .935

W: 42 L:22 OTL: 3 (Biron goes W:8 L:4 OTL:3)

NYR 11'-12' record: 50-26-6 106 points.

I think the numbers may be a little generous but oh well.

09-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Kershaw

I hope Biron gets in more games this year. Lundqvist has a huge workload every year.

36-17-4, .923 sv percentage and 2.39 GAA

Biron:

13-8-4 .912 sv percentage and 2.42 GAA

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Giacomin

I like the predictions of 103 and 106 points. I think the King will win the Vezina this year if Biron can spell him for the whole season.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I hope Biron gets in more games this year. Lundqvist has a huge workload every year.

Biron:

Your GAA predictions are far too high, especially with the defense we have this year

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 09-06-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 06:01 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Hank said he likes to play in more games.

I imagine 62-67 games for Hank is what he wants to do.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:04 PM
msv957

Shiny stats don't really matter.... Just win baby...

This team is strong on defense and offense. Also, lots of depth if injuries occur.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If Henrik hits a .930 sv% this year this team could do some serious damage... the one year we had a real complete roster (07-08) he ran a .912 with 10 shutouts (Showing serious inconsistency) which likely cost us some points in the standings from his usual form. If he picks this year to have a great one... watch out.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:20 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem Anisimov View Post
I don't care what Hank does regular season. Although that seems about right.
Agree...regular season stats are nice, but aside from the first 4 games of the '09 playoffs series against the Caps, I have never seen Lundqvist put this team on his back in the playoffs for more than 1 game. He's a phemoneal goaltender, and while he certainly was no slouch in the playoffs, I just feel that he's better than he's shown in these situations. This is put up or shut up for Henrik, IMO. For now, yeah, we can put most of the blame on the Rangers' squad in front of him. But now, he has the horses to get it done. No more excuses.

It'd be nice to see him hit the 40 win mark, although I don't really care as long as he dominates in April-June.

09-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Agree...regular season stats are nice, but aside from the first 4 games of the 0'09 playoffs series against the Caps, I have never seen Lundqvist put this team on his back in the playoffs for more than 1 game. He's a phemoneal goaltender, and while he certainly was no slouch in the playoffs, I just feel that he's better than he's shown in these situations. This is put up or shut up for Henrik, IMO. For now, yeah, we can put most of the blame on the Rangers' squad in front of him. But now, he has the horses to get it done. No more excuses.

I'd still like to see him hit the 40 win mark, though.
Possible answer would be that even though we tried to rest him this year so that he was fresher in the playoffs, he still ended up playing something to the tune of 24 straight games because of Biron's injury.

Maybe we'll get lucky and have more flexibility in that regard this year.

Old
09-04-2011, 09:25 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Possible answer would be that even though we tried to rest him this year so that he was fresher in the playoffs, he still ended up playing something to the tune of 24 straight games because of Biron's injury.

Maybe we'll get lucky and have more flexibility in that regard this year.
I would say that certainly attributed to his less than stellar playoff performance against the Caps. Lack of organizational depth in that position certainly hurts the team if any injury problems arise, as they did last season. I'd like to see Clark and co turn more towards goaltenders past round 1, we haven't drafted a goalie in 2 years, IIRC. Lundqvist is still rather young, but the Rangers need to prepare a successer.

Regardless of Biron's status, I still stand by what I say. I know that it's considered sacrilege by some fans to question Lundqvist, and while he IS the Rangers, he needs to show it past the regular season before I consider him "great" or any variation of the word when discussing his overall career.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

Biron:

I hope he doesn't. Lundqvist performs poorly under a lesser workload.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Lundqvist does not suddenly become a lesser goaltender in the playoffs. His lower numbers are a result, predictably of playing as a lower seed in the playoffs.

Henrik has started for the Rangers in 7 playoff series. In all of those, the Rangers have been the lower seed. Most of them were against teams that were amongst the best in the league that year (Sabres, Pens, Caps twice) so when the numbers decrease marginally, or the perceived performance goes down, much of it has to do with the quality of opposition.

Playing 5 games against the caps is going to be different than a regular season 2 week period with games vs the Flyers, then Jets, then Islanders, ect.

Eddie Giacomin is a Hall of Fame goaltender and likely the greatest every to wear a ranger uniform. But he never won a cup. And with the exception of '71, he never really stood out in the postseason, either. I'd attest that being in the hall of fame qualifies you as great. I think that Henrik could be the same, with or without a magical playoff season.

Old
09-04-2011, 09:49 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Lundqvist does not suddenly become a lesser goaltender in the playoffs. His lower numbers are a result, predictably of playing as a lower seed in the playoffs.

Henrik has started for the Rangers in 7 playoff series. In all of those, the Rangers have been the lower seed. Most of them were against teams that were amongst the best in the league that year (Sabres, Pens, Caps twice) so when the numbers decrease marginally, or the perceived performance goes down, much of it has to do with the quality of opposition.

Playing 5 games against the caps is going to be different than a regular season 2 week period with games vs the Flyers, then Jets, then Islanders, ect.
I understand that. For now, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, given the fact that the teams he entered the playoffs with weren't exactly cup caliber...but that doesn't make him any better, just as losing to a lesser team doesn't make him any worse. Regardless of standings, he was not as good as he was in the regular season, IMO. He didn't carry the team, and I feel he has the ability to carry a team in the playoffs regardless of the team's position entering them — that is what truly great goaltenders can do. For now, he hasn't done that yet. Thus, he isn't a true "great" in my eyes.

I know many will disagree with me...but that's just how I feel.

Quote:
Eddie Giacomin is a Hall of Fame goaltender and likely the greatest every to wear a ranger uniform. But he never won a cup. And with the exception of '71, he never really stood out in the postseason, either. I'd attest that being in the hall of fame qualifies you as great. I think that Henrik could be the same, with or without a magical playoff season.
But the difference there is that he had that magical season, where, thus far, Henrik has not. If the team goes into the playoffs this year as a 5 seed or higher, and he is less than stellar again, I won't be making any excuses for him.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I hope he doesn't. Lundqvist performs poorly under a lesser workload.
More games for Hank!

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Well, simply because the difference between good and great is a matter of arbitrary semantics, I would pose this question;

Is there a goaltender in the league, that you can name, that you would rather have between the pipes for this Rangers team for the next 3 years than Henrik?

I would imagine that most people's lists have to be awful short in that regard. So while Henrik may not be qualified as "great", on a year to year basis, he has been more consistently good, whilst being able to carry a heavy workload as any goaltender in the league.

Only Luongo and Vokoun have rivaled his consistency since the lockout, and neither of them of late have shared his level of workload.

Old
09-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I would say that certainly attributed to his less than stellar playoff performance against the Caps. Lack of organizational depth in that position certainly hurts the team if any injury problems arise, as they did last season. I'd like to see Clark and co turn more towards goaltenders past round 1, we haven't drafted a goalie in 2 years, IIRC. Lundqvist is still rather young, but the Rangers need to prepare a successer.

Regardless of Biron's status, I still stand by what I say. I know that it's considered sacrilege by some fans to question Lundqvist, and while he IS the Rangers, he needs to show it past the regular season before I consider him "great" or any variation of the word when discussing his overall career.
Outside of his first playoff appearance where Henrik played (a) injured and (b) awful... Lundqvist has done well in the playoffs.

In 06-07 he, and Jagr, led the Rangers to a competitive 6-game set against the Sabres in the 2nd round of the playoffs (a.k.a. team Voltron). Lundqvist was a big reason for it. He also earned himself a 2.07GAA and a .924SV% in the 10 games he played. Those are "excellent" numbers and he had an "excellent" performance.

In 07-08, he did fantastic against the Devils in the first round, one of the biggest reasons we made short work of them, and did a fair job keeping the Penguins series respectable (lets face it, we met a team that wound up going to the SCF two consecutive years, it wasn't exactly a comparable match up).

In 08-09, again, like in 06-07, we faced team Voltron (Washington Capitals - the most potent offensive team in the NHL). Now, while his stats don't scream MVP, you can also argue that the series wouldn't have even gone 7 games if he hadn't put in several dynamite performances that left Ovechkin saying he is the only reason the series went to seven games and even said he played like "God." (you can Google it if you'd like).

In 10-11, again, we faced a team we just couldn't compare to. I don't think Lundqvist let up one soft goal the entire series. When the Capitals won, they earned those wins. They clearly had the talent that we just didn't have and no amount of blue collar work ethic can make up for the lack of talent the Rangers had in comparison to the Capitals. Scoring chances for us were few and far between.

This year... We will see how it goes. Brad Richards doesn't make us a contender to say "It's put up or shut up for Henrik." If Brad Richards actually pans out like we expect him to, if Gaborik can bounce back, if Dubinsky/Callahan can continue to develop, then we can say it's time to "put up or shut up," and I'd agree with that. With Brad Richards I believe, an most hockey analysts believe, that we are still a bubble team (7th/8th).

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Fataldogg

Quote:
If Henrik hits a .930 sv% this year this team could do some serious damage... the one year we had a real complete roster (07-08) he ran a .912 with 10 shutouts (Showing serious inconsistency) which likely cost us some points in the standings from his usual form. If he picks this year to have a great one... watch out.
Again, people continue to point to that year as an "off" year due to the .912SV% but fail to realize he was nominated for the Vezina.

How can one have an underwhelming year and be nominated for the Vezina at the same time?

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:38 AM
darko

I'd like to see Hank hit the 40-win mark.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Again, people continue to point to that year as an "off" year due to the .912SV% but fail to realize he was nominated for the Vezina.

How can one have an underwhelming year and be nominated for the Vezina at the same time?
He was a distant third, and there weren't a ton of outstanding individual goaltending performances that year.

It wasn't a "bad" goaltending year. It was just sub par by Henrik's very high standards that he has set. There arent very many netminders that can call a .912 with 10 shutouts a down year.