HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Redden will report to camp

Old
07-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsRngrs View Post
I agree. Lets stop all this NICE stuff and "it's so great he's going to report" BS. Yes we made a BAD business deal but where is the accountability on Reddens part. If he can't play he should RETIRE...but he won't!
Nobody is happy he is going to report. I wish just as much as anyone that he would just go away. Unfortunately, that line of thinking isn't based in reality.

The problem with your opinion is that he CAN still play. It's his cap hit that is keeping him out of the NHL. The guy can still be a legitimate 5/6 dman on most of the teams in this league. Why should he just give up on the game if he still has a passion to play?

And BTW, if he wants to try and arouse interest from another team, be it in the NHL or overseas, this is exactly what I would expect him to do. Report to NYR training camp, showcase yourself, and then try to work out a deal. I'm pretty sure he already has permission from management to talk to other teams.

He's already had to deal with the consequences of not living up to his contract. It must be humiliating to ride the bus in Hartford for a former all-star. But you know what? The dude has handled himself with class. Instead of going the Souray/Rissmiller route and forcing the organization to ship him out of town to keep him away from the kids, he has become a mentor and tried to help our prospects.

It's not like he signed that contract not intending to live up to it. He just failed, plain and simple. Now people expect him to just walk away from boatloads of cash when he has no guarantees from another team? Pure lunacy.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Black Tank

Isn't it possible that Redden knows his body simply cannot perform at the NHL level again so rather than being cut like most players, he actually gets paid millions due to Sather's folly? Knowing this would make it a hell of a lot easier to go through the motions, ride the bus, and thank the almighty for Glen ****ing Sather.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Edge

A big part of me feels bad for Redden, because almost eveyone who has met him, myself included, thinks he is a good guy.

I just cannot recall anyone falling apart quite so rapidly as him, without at least the excuse of having a major injury.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:13 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Yes, it is Sather's fault for giving the guy a huge contract, but WAY to many people are failing to realize that a professional with integrity earns his contract. Wade has in no way shape opr form lived up to his end of the bargain. He hasn't played like a 7 million, a 6 million, a 5 million or even a 4 million dollar defenseman. Yes, Shame on Sather for giving him the contract, but ya know what, shame on Wade for not showing some integrity and doing the right thing and hanging them up. He is hurting the team that he was paid a boatload of money to help. At this point to say its not his fault is unfair. Originally it was not his fault....today, Wade is letting greed get in the way of integrity. If he still though he was worth a damn, he'd walk away and sign a deal elsewhere and compete at the games highest level. He's a bum now, a washed up bum collecting a paycheck for doing nothing. To me he is the posterboy for players that lack integrity and passion. He's an burden on his club and will never be remembered for anything other than that.

EDIT- And in my opinion the team hasn't done enough to embaress him or shame him into retiring. He cannot meet his end of the contract. He wasn't paid to just show up and suck, he was paid to produce, which he cant anymore. Show some class and retire.
You could make a compelling argument that Redden (and pretty much every other FA) earned their contract through their play in the seasons leading up that contract.

As for your edited post, he was paid to play hockey, presumably to the best of his ability. Do you have any proof that he is not doing this?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
A big part of me feels bad for Redden, because almost eveyone who has met him, myself included, thinks he is a good guy.

I just cannot recall anyone falling apart quite so rapidly as him, without at least the excuse of having a major injury.
Drury wore out very quickly too. Anyway, I remember Redden getting rocked his whole career in OTT and I think it aged him much quicker than normal. It's just my theory but I think he was a fairly lightly built dman who took huge hits to make plays and he's paying for it now.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
The elimination of the clutch-and-grab in the NHL really hurt Wade. His lack of mobility then became glaringly obvious.

In limited minutes, with a coach that deploys him strategically, he could still be a good bottom pairing defenseman.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:27 PM
thesnake

The thing that people who are bashing Redden need to explain to me is, exactly how is he “hurting” the Rangers?? I don’t get it?

He’s got no impact on the cap. He’s in Hartford playing to the best of his abilities and not complaining or poisoning the team. On top of that, he’s been reported to be a positive influence on the young guys coming up…

What exactly is he doing to hurt the Rangers? He’s collecting $$ from Dolan, but how does that hurt the team, or the fans? Do you think your ticket prices would go down? They wouldn’t. Do you think he’s blocking some prospect? He’s not… I just don’t get it…

Is it just that he’s collecting lots of money for playing in a very competitive hockey league upsets some people? Why does anyone care what he’s getting?

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnake View Post
The thing that people who are bashing Redden need to explain to me is, exactly how is he “hurting” the Rangers?? I don’t get it?

He’s got no impact on the cap. He’s in Hartford playing to the best of his abilities and not complaining or poisoning the team. On top of that, he’s been reported to be a positive influence on the young guys coming up…

What exactly is he doing to hurt the Rangers? He’s collecting $$ from Dolan, but how does that hurt the team, or the fans? Do you think your ticket prices would go down? They wouldn’t. Do you think he’s blocking some prospect? He’s not… I just don’t get it…

Is it just that he’s collecting lots of money for playing in a very competitive hockey league upsets some people? Why does anyone care what he’s getting?
Hes on the summer cap each offseason, but your point is well taken.

I just dont understand the venom towards both Drury and Redden. Seems like the vast contigent bashing these 2 are the holier than thou souls that get on their soapbox and proclaim that they "have enough money" and dont need to be taking more from the organization (forget the whole contract thing, right?). The majority of these folks would be total hypocrites if placed in the same situation as Drury or Redden.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:44 PM
thesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hes on the summer cap each offseason, but your point is well taken.

I just dont understand the venom towards both Drury and Redden. Seems like the vast contigent bashing these 2 are the holier than thou souls that get on their soapbox and proclaim that they "have enough money" and dont need to be taking more from the organization (forget the whole contract thing, right?). The majority of these folks would be total hypocrites if placed in the same situation as Drury or Redden.
Exactly. I think it's just a case of the morality police in effect.

If people are dying to get on people who are doing things that offend their morals you'd think that two players who are living up to their end of a contract would be pretty far down on the list of targets....

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:46 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
I cant imagine the Rangers would block him from talking to other NHL teams. I am sure they want him gone more than anyone. If I were Redden I wouldnt leave the AHL for Europe, but I would leave the AHL if a NHL team was interested in me.
I don't imagine the Rangers would block him either. I'm just uncertain if he has thought to ask yet.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:49 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

It's a shame his contract wasn't front loaded to the point where he would have become tradeable.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 06:42 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Redden is working out in Kelowna,BC with some other players. Shea Weber. Josh Gorges. Blake Comeau. Scott Hannan. Nolan Yonkman.

http://reganbartel.blogspot.com/2011...-training.html

Quote:
Wade Redden was seen working out this morning at the Capital News Centre. Redden will again play in the AHL with Hartford this season.
The blog of Kelowna Rockets radio broadcaster Regan Bartel. He was at the facility today. Spoke to the players.

No Europe. Redden told Bruce Berlet in May about preferring to stay in the AHL rather than play in Europe.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Scenario: Redden spends the year in the AHL, but come playoff time, some of our D get hurt. Redden gets the call-up (there's no salary cap in the playoffs) and plays out of his mind and scores the cup-winning goal for us.

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 08-22-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Scenario: Redden spends the year in the AHL, but come playoff time, some of our D get hurt. Redden gets the call-up and plays out of his mind and scores the cup-winning goal for us.
HAHAHAHAHA! I love it

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:35 PM
eco's bones

All I can say is it's a good ****ing thing we didn't give him an NMC and at least he wasn't a problem with our D prospects last year. So if he wants his money--****ing fine. Serves Sather right on that.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 07:58 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Scenario: Redden spends the year in the AHL, but come playoff time, some of our D get hurt. Redden gets the call-up (there's no salary cap in the playoffs) and plays out of his mind and scores the cup-winning goal for us.
Why would the salary cap suddenly disappear in the playoffs? I've never heard this before.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:02 PM
94now

He can play in NHL. For quarter of his pay there will be many takers including NYR. He will stay put in HFD, though.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:32 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
i think if that happened 3 things would happen:

1. HF instantly implodes...permanently.
2. Minds = Blown
3. There would be much rejoicing

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:41 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

The man is getting paid 6 million a year to play minor league hockey. He's basically being paid to not do anything.

There is no way I see him uprooting his family to go to Europe.

I doubt he breaches his contract at all as well because as I said he's being paid to do nothing really.

He may just try to finish out his contract and then get a 1 year contract back in the NHL.

08-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Why would the salary cap suddenly disappear in the playoffs? I've never heard this before.
There's never been a cap during the playoffs. Look it up if you like.

Players don't get paid during the playoffs. Their entire salary is paid off for the regular season only.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

Players don't get paid during the playoffs. Their entire salary is paid off for the regular season only.
Yup, players aren't even paid a salary during the playoffs.

EDIT: You edited your post while I was quoting, so I just said the same thing as you.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Could he refuse coming up, and would that be a breach of contract? All hypothetical, of course.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Could he refuse coming up, and would that be a breach of contract? All hypothetical, of course.
Why would he refuse to come back to the NHL? (and yes, it would be considered a breach of contract).

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:34 PM
mike14

Quote:

This is splitting hairs, but I hate the 'players don't get paid in the playoffs' line. Yeah, I know they don't get a paycheck, but the very generous ones they recieve throughout the year make up for that. They get paid to play hockey, regardless of how long the season is, and as such they get paid for the pre-season, the season, the playoffs and the off-season.

Yeah it's a stupid thing to get worked up about, but for some reason it really gets my goat....

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
All I can say is it's a good ****ing thing we didn't give him an NMC and at least he wasn't a problem with our D prospects last year. So if he wants his money--****ing fine. Serves Sather right on that.
No kidding, that was exactly what I was thinking when I saw this thread popping up again. What a difference monumentale there can be between three letters called NMC. While Drury's lethal* contract gave so much agony you'd think New York would chronically run out of weed, Redden's horror show of a contract was solved with a yawn. Well ok, not so much of a yawn, but a gigantic cheer from a board of mass depression, who never thought... ... this man would ever be logical, smart or humble enough to admit his own chain train wrecks of mistakes and at least waive Redden like he deserved. Well, what do you know, a couple of years later and the three stooges are all finally gone (and Sather has hopefully learnt his lesson, especially after the fans were so eager after his head, a rally was formed).

*I once heard of a man who died of a heartattack, just because he accidentally clicked on the Rangers on cap geek and saw Drury's contract. That man was merely 23 years old.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote