HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

The politics of fighting

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2012, 05:14 AM
DarzipanMildo

vCash: 500
The politics of fighting

Is it far-fetched to think that much of the anti-fighting lobby is politically motivated? I get the feeling that those who want fighting banned in the NHL see it as a larger effort against violence and aggressive behaviour in general.

Meanwhile, black kids in Florida are getting murdered for wearing hoodies.

Old
03-24-2012, 05:22 AM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarzipanMildo View Post
Is it far-fetched to think that much of the anti-fighting lobby is politically motivated? I get the feeling that those who want fighting banned in the NHL see it as a larger effort against violence and aggressive behaviour in general.

Rich white guy morality is pretty funny. As long as you ignore the main issues and problems with society, tell people to be good, they should be good.

And if they aren't? well then its clearly their fault. Ignore the man behind the curtain, there is causal effect of history, there is no injustice, there is only rich white guy morality, which in the end will save the whole world

Old
03-24-2012, 05:34 AM
Smokey McCanucks

Well, it's certainly not hockey fans leading the charge. The anti-fighting talk after that Rangers-Devils game really pisses me off. These people don't understand the game. That sort of thing leads to a better, cleaner game. Maybe if six guys drop em off the opening faceoff of Canucks-Hawks, Keith and Sedin are still playing for the stretch drive. That's my perspective.

Old
03-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

this ones definitely going to get taken over to the political board, "howdy y'all"

clearly this is a vast left wing conspiracy to ultimately get rid of Canada's military, and result in the Winnipeg Jets being called the Winnipeg Wimps.

Good thing Chairman Harper will keep our military good and strong, and keep fighting in hockey.

i don't think any political party cares about fighting in hockey. And its a pretty bogus political cause, considering how many bigger problems there are in Canada, let alone the rest of the world.

not political. I'm a pacifist, but if people want to beat the **** out of each other, let them. If you don't want to fight in a hockey game, you shouldn't be a chicken for backing down. you should be smart for doing that, and try to score a goal instead.

Old
03-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Exalted User

This thread is going places.

Old
03-24-2012, 06:36 AM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

They won't get rid of fighting, as they shouldn't. I have no problem with them getting rid of the 250 lb roid heads that play 3 min a game.

Old
03-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Is it far-fetched to think that much of the anti-fighting lobby is politically motivated?
Yes.

Quote:
I get the feeling that those who want fighting banned in the NHL see it as a larger effort against violence and aggressive behaviour in general.
No, I don't think that's true at all.

Any group of people regards what they grew up with as the pinnacle of achievement; anything prior is obsolete and inferior, and anything after is pointless or a dilution of that perfection. When multiple generations have grown up with a certain aspect of hockey existing, there's going to be an attachment to it not because it's useful or necessary, but because it's part of an era that evokes warm fuzzy feelings.

You're starting from the erroneous standpoint that people are either pro-fighting or anti-fighting, which isn't the case. There are very few who truly fall into either camp; I'd estimate less than 5% in either group. There's an enormous middle ground, although some people lean more in one direction. But I can guarantee you that we'd be able to come up with a 10-point spectrum of where people's attitudes on fighting truly lay, and 75% of the people would score right in the most central of that middle ground.

And that's something that cuts across political and social lines.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:11 AM
darksociety

It's 'politically' motivated not in that there is a well-established lobby or party behind the shift, but rather in the same sociological manner of political correctness. There is a prevalence of - IMHO - wimps in society who have difficulty dealing with any manner of confrontation, conflict, risk-taking, or violence no matter what the context (justified or not). Hell, remember the last time you had a heated argument at work and what a huge deal it was to everyone? It's the same mentality that bans tag on the playground and fines you $250 for driving 20 km/hr over the speed limit. Fighting will one day be gone from the NHL because society demands it.

Political enough for my books.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:13 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

yeah, I can really see a push to rid America of violent sports....

all the while UFC fighting is becoming more popular then boxing....oh wait...

fighting in hockey will always stay, and there will always be people on both sides of the fence, but violent sport is growing in this country not declining.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksociety View Post
It's 'politically' motivated not in that there is a well-established lobby or party behind the shift, but rather in the same sociological manner of political correctness. There is a prevalence of - IMHO - wimps in society who have difficulty dealing with any manner of confrontation, conflict, risk-taking, or violence no matter what the context (justified or not). Hell, remember the last time you had a heated argument at work and what a huge deal it was to everyone? It's the same mentality that bans tag on the playground and fines you $250 for driving 20 km/hr over the speed limit. Fighting will one day be gone from the NHL because society demands it.

Political enough for my books.
I don't think any of those have anything to do with each other. You're talking about a very small fringe element that basically purports to speak for a much larger body. The idea that any type of call for banning fighting in hockey, or even looking at banning in hockey, has anything in common with the idea of shying away from any type of confrontation is such a huge stretch that it defies logic.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:02 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
I don't know about politically motivated, but the people who complain about it all seem to come solidly from one side of the isle. Though I doubt all the people who come from one side of the isle complain about it.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Brooklanders*

Quote:

What the hell does one have to do with the other?
This is an extremely irresponsible post.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstroms pads View Post
This thread is going places.
most likely to the fighting section of HF

Old
03-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Homeland Security