HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Korpikoski files for Salary Arbitration

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
When is Korpikoski eligible for free agency under the current CBA?
2014-2015

Old
07-19-2011, 02:44 PM
ScottsdaleYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
Would you take either of those players over Korpo?
Yes - Wheeler for sure, and so would probably every GM in the league. Don't get me wrong, I like Korpedo, but either some of us are player's agents, or we are vastly over-estimating his worth because he's on our team. Look at the RFA signings as a whole - he's a $1.75m player AT BEST in this market.

Old
07-19-2011, 02:49 PM
PHX FireBirds18

People thought it was a steal when we signed Vrbata to 3 year 9 million contract. Korpikoski has the potential to surpass him offensively and play superior defense. 3 years 6.5 million 2, 2.25, 2.25. Continue hoping he grows into his offensive game and that contract could be real good value one day. Even if he tails off into the 30 pt region, he's still going to be a very important player for us and well worth the contract IMO. Knowing Maloney though. He's going to get it done for much cheaper than that. Korpi hasn't improved enough yet and both sides will most likely settle on a safer figure.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
Would you take either of those players over Korpo? I wouldn't. His defensive game is vastly superior to both, and you can bet his agent will be playing to that angle in an arbitration hearing. The other two have sort of plateaued in production, whereas Korpo is on the rise--though it could be argued last year was a statistical anomaly and he'll fall back to earth in 11-12. They're all right around the same age, so the comparisons can most definitely be made.
Doesn't matter. How do you prove defensive ability? PK shifts? +/-? Cogliano gets plenty of PK time. Korpikoski has a great plus seventeen but the yotes are one the best five on five teams in the league. They are easily the more proven players. I can't imagine production and track record aren't the most important aspects in an arbitration. You can't prove anything else.

Old
07-19-2011, 04:04 PM
ctwin22
Go Desert Dogs

Fellas, I'll mention again that he shot 18% last season, now, I'm not an expert, but I can guarantee that he comes back to the norm and has a shooting % somewhere near 10%, which means he goes back to being a 30pt player.

Caveat:
Unless he increases his number of SOG (100+) last season, he will need to get it nearer to 200 to have a comparable year.

I just don't see that happening, so I don't want the Yotes to get stuck with a 2+million contract for a player that had an anomaly of a year.

Let him prove that last season was a fluke then I'll be more than happy to pay him $2.25m per, but until then, he's a one hit wonder.

Old
07-19-2011, 04:16 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
Fellas, I'll mention again that he shot 18% last season, now, I'm not an expert, but I can guarantee that he comes back to the norm and has a shooting % somewhere near 10%, which means he goes back to being a 30pt player.

Caveat:
Unless he increases his number of SOG (100+) last season, he will need to get it nearer to 200 to have a comparable year.

I just don't see that happening, so I don't want the Yotes to get stuck with a 2+million contract for a player that had an anomaly of a year.

Let him prove that last season was a fluke then I'll be more than happy to pay him $2.25m per, but until then, he's a one hit wonder.
I agree to an extent. His shooting percentage will surely come down, but I definitely expect his shots to increase. I don't think they'll double, but they'll go up.

You also have to consider why his shooting percentage rose. Maybe it was a fluke, but he was also driving to the net a lot more, which means higher percentage shots. Beyond that, his 19 goals were scored at even strength or on the penalty kill (that is, none on the powerplay), and 10 of them were in the 3rd period (vs. only 2 in 1st and 7 in the 2nd). He scores not because he's a good scorer but because he's relied upon in important minutes. As Tippett trusts him more, he'll get more time and likely score more goals.

That said, we're talking about 19 goals here. It's a tiny, tiny sample size, and there's no good way to break it down.

Old
07-19-2011, 05:35 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post

Caveat:

Personally, I think $2.1 million is the highest we go to match, but I suspect that the arbiter will deal with $1.6-1.8 million.

As far as how to compensate a player, I think there are certain variables that come into play. The most obvious is points or points per TOI. I think the next designation is how consistently those points have been put up, as it is easier to award someone if they have had three straight seasons between 45 and 55 points, versus someone who has been up and down.

Finally, they look at specialteams play, and the obvious point that Korpi's value is on the PK.

It's a scenario where we probably low-balled the raise, knowing that we could. If we go to $1.1 million, Korps and his agent know that this case going before an arbiter can probably squeeze out about 300-500k more. Well worth the money and effort to go through arbitration. I'd be beyond shocked if it goes above $2 million per year...

Old
07-19-2011, 05:41 PM
BeSeeingYouSeattle

Weren't they "close" per GMDM.

Old
07-19-2011, 05:49 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
Weren't they "close" per GMDM.
Yes, but close can be a relative thing. What if Korpi was after $1.7 million, and GMDM would not budge from $1.5 million? Wouldn't you want to at least see if you can get someone to say that $1.7 million is fair value, especially b/c no team can walk away from anything less than $1.65 (approximately)?

Old
07-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Kaizen

Korpikoski signed as per capgeek.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=635

Probably deserves its own thread.

Closed Thread