HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks Sign Thomas Greiss 2 Years / 1.175 Total

Old
07-05-2011, 06:59 PM
KirbyDots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Smith is as good as Niitty. Niitty may want a starting job but I don't think there's one out there for him, unless someone gets hurt.
Thought Niitty beat him out for starter in Tampa?

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Smith is as good as Niitty. Niitty may want a starting job but I don't think there's one out there for him, unless someone gets hurt.
Actually, I think their time in Tampa proved that Smith is NOT as good as Nitty. I'm just not sure that's relevant where Phoenix is concerned.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:00 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 441
I don't think the general consensus here has been right about a single thing relating to Greiss so far.

1. He will backup Nitty
2. He'll won't pass through waivers
3. He's done with the organization

Somehow he seems to linger.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:01 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
I'd imagine if Stalock didn't go down this past season, he'd likely play one more year (11/12) in the AHL and be ready for full time NHL back up duty the following season.

His injury is a bit of a set back.
But thats fine because it works out. We're congested in the system for that position.

I think Stalock is going to be a fine young goaltender to tryout for the spot when Nemo is done, but I am more high on Sateri making it.

I am glad everyone is high on Stalock, but Sateri has more experience playing on a better league then the AHL. There is no need to panic at all with the goaltending situation. Competition is good within our system.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:02 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Actually, I think their time in Tampa proved that Smith is NOT as good as Nitty. I'm just not sure that's relevant where Phoenix is concerned.
I thought Smith was very good down the stretch and in the playoffs. I guess, if anything, they're about equal and really, Phoenix has their tandem.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
But thats fine because it works out. We're congested in the system for that position.

I think Stalock is going to be a fine young goaltender to tryout for the spot when Nemo is done, but I am more high on Sateri making it.

I am glad everyone is high on Stalock, but Sateri has more experience playing on a better league then the AHL. There is no need to panic at all with the goaltending situation. Competition is good.
when nemo is done? nemo could be with the organization for another 10 years basically if all goes well. and even then nemo is still with the organization for another 4 years at the minimum. if stalock has to wait that long, then something is wrong.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
****in eh right boys

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:11 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
What about Sateri?
Edited/fixed.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:16 PM
SacLandshark

Last time I saw him play, he was Nabby's backup and I was not impressed then. Has anyone seen him recently and have any opinions on his NHL worthiness? In other words what are all these opinions I'm reading based on?

SacLandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:18 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
when nemo is done? nemo could be with the organization for another 10 years basically if all goes well. and even then nemo is still with the organization for another 4 years at the minimum. if stalock has to wait that long, then something is wrong.
Nemo finishing is going to have to be done basically by ear. We don't know what is going to happen.
He could get significantly better then he already is, in which case, why would you shoo him out the door after his contract year?

You have to field the best team possible. If Nemo continues to be the guy that amazes you, whats the problem then?

Yes, we could have a logjam between the pipes in our system by then, but if the best guy is still the best guy then what else do you want to do? Nemo is a true professional who likes to compete. Our kids are going to need to compete really hard to take his job and there is nothing wrong with that. Its healthy.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

this is what the shark fans are excited to see.

yes the defense could of been better on this, but that goal was just brutally bad to let in.

Old
07-05-2011, 07:24 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Why does this mean he could be in trouble?

Stalock is how old? 23? He has another couple of years in the minors before he even gets considered for NHL ice time.
Has nothing to do with Stalock's development and everything to do with the rather gruesome injury he suffered last year. "in trouble" in the sense of the injury could be worse than we've all been led to believe and that he might not be back for a while.

I'm shocked that he would want to come back. Happy because I love ze Germans, and it means my Greiss olympic jersey is still Shark-relevant, but shocked nonetheless.

If Wilson finds a taker for Niittymaki, I just might start believing he has jedi mind powers.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Has nothing to do with Stalock's development and everything to do with the rather gruesome injury he suffered last year. "in trouble" in the sense of the injury could be worse than we've all been led to believe and that he might not be back for a while.

I'm shocked that he would want to come back. Happy because I love ze Germans, and it means my Greiss olympic jersey is still Shark-relevant, but shocked nonetheless.

If Wilson finds a taker for Niittymaki, I just might start believing he has jedi mind powers.
Niitty to the Oilers for Cogliano

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:28 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post

this is what the shark fans are excited to see.

yes the defense could of been better on this, but that goal was just brutally bad to let in.
Yep. Because you certainly can't cherry pick bad goal videos for a great number of NHL goalies..... :

Not saying I expect Greiss to come out gangbusters and push Nemo for the starting gig, but he's posted respectable NHL stats, albeit in a small sample size.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
That's right! We got our token German back! I knew something was off after the Heater trade.
DW needs at least one German on the roster at all times.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:

that may be up next. Sharks has too many goalies right now and any of them could probably fill in the backup role.

So for the love of god, whatever DW is on, give home MORE of it. Hes on a friggin roll!

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:33 PM
SonomaShark
@SharkInfestation

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
DW needs at least one German on the roster at all times.
Heatley isn't German, he was just born there.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Yea, this may mean Stalock could be really in trouble.
Last report was he was going to make a full recovery but likely would not be ready by the time camps open.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Yep. Because you certainly can't cherry pick bad goal videos for a great number of NHL goalies..... :

Not saying I expect Greiss to come out gangbusters and push Nemo for the starting gig, but he's posted respectable NHL stats, albeit in a small sample size.
actually greiss is hard to pick vids for, there are litterally 2 nhl vids of him up on youtube.

i'm in the same boat as the poster that got me to find a video of greiss. yes it might be a small sample size, but greiss in his time as a back up behind nabby did nothing to prove that he is capable of being a full time back up goalie (meaning more then 20 starts a season).

every one complained/complains about niemi's bad rebounds but greiss seems to always put himself out of position because he over plays the puck and well that leads to more easy goals against, even more so then niemi's bad rebounds.

Last edited by Barrie22: 07-05-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old
07-05-2011, 07:35 PM
SJSharks2010

Hopefully he finds a way to move Nitty. I love Nitty, but backups should not be earning 2 million. I never understood the 2 year term.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:38 PM
gonegonegone*

this makes no sense... are we basically giving up on stalock and satari and sexsmith and all the other goalies in our pipeline? i guess griess will play in the ahl again? stalock on the IR ? and all our other goalies get another year whereever they are at? then next year griess is our backup again? yeesh makes u wonder why we even bother drafting so many. somehow teams like nash and chicago pop out good goalie after good goalie, while we haven't done anything since the 90s.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:40 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
Hopefully he finds a way to move Nitty. I love Nitty, but backups should not be earning 2 million. I never understood the 2 year term.
I don't understand why people think this means Niitty should be traded. I agree that a backup probably shouldn't be making $2mil but right now, the Sharks don't need the cap space. However, they need a good back up.

I guess maybe it's just me but I would not be too comfortable with Greiss as a starting goalie should something happen to Niemi.

Old
07-05-2011, 07:52 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
I don't understand why people think this means Niitty should be traded. I agree that a backup probably shouldn't be making $2mil but right now, the Sharks don't need the cap space. However, they need a good back up.

I guess maybe it's just me but I would not be too comfortable with Greiss as a starting goalie should something happen to Niemi.
Oh this has nothing to do with Greiss. I'm just saying I'd like to see Nitty moved. We don't NEED the space right now but it could pave the way for an extra depth forward or even another cheap defenceman.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:52 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Edited/fixed.
Do you need to add Heemskerk to the chart as well?

Gilligan,
I agree that Nitty's fantasy and reality may clash. I can see the situation in Tampa getting out of hand early. Unless Smith improves remarkably, I think Tampa will be looking for another answer. That and CBJ are the only two places where I see them as possibly having early problems. Detroit is looking for a backup, but I don't see Nitty as being demonstrably better than Howard to the point where he could win the job hands down.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 07:55 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Do you need to add Heemskerk to the chart as well?

Gilligan,
I agree that Nitty's fantasy and reality may clash. I can see the situation in Tampa getting out of hand early. Unless Smith improves remarkably, I think Tampa will be looking for another answer. That and CBJ are the only two places where I see them as possibly having early problems. Detroit is looking for a backup, but I don't see Nitty as being demonstrably better than Howard to the point where he could win the job hands down.
Smith signed in Phx, but I understand where you're coming from.

I also think Edmonton 'may' need a goalie, but really, I just don't think Niitty is that much better than these teams current back ups (except Columbus, who's kind of an unknown) or better than some of the guy still avail. in FA.