HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Sign Thomas Greiss 2 Years / 1.175 Total

Old
07-06-2011, 05:29 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite2 View Post
Sorry but Greiss is terrible. He played for my SEL club last season and after having had markstrom and lack, this guy did not live up to those goalies:

Thomas Greiss 32GP 2.92GAA .901SV%
Wasn't he hung out to dry by his defense for the greater portion of the games?

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:34 AM
couturefan39

Greiss didnt have any help at all.

couturefan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
My avatar strike was a success!!!

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:50 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
If DW could actually now somehow get rid of Nitty, I would pronounce this the best offseason ever.
Nitty>>>>>>>Greiss

07-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Nitty>>>>>>>Greiss
I don't think its that many, maybe more like

Nitty >>> Greiss.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:16 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by couturefan39 View Post
How many Brynäs games did you watch last season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
Wasn't he hung out to dry by his defense for the greater portion of the games?
He did get hung out to dry quite a bit, but far from all the blame can be put on the defensemen. I think Greiss was really overwhelmed by the change in play between North America and Sweden's Elitserien after spending four years with the Sharks organization. There was an obvious difference between how he played at the start of the season and by the end of the season. It took Greiss several months to rebuild his confidence after a disastrous start, but once he did his play was alright.

Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Competitive Violence View Post
How many Brynäs games did you watch last season?

He did get hung out to dry quite a bit, but far from all the blame can be put on the defensemen. I think Greiss was really overwhelmed by the change in play between North America and Sweden's Elitserien after spending four years with the Sharks organization. There was an obvious difference between how he played at the start of the season and by the end of the season. It took Greiss several months to rebuild his confidence after a disastrous start, but once he did his play was alright.
That's the worry I have, that he'd start off poorly here trying to again adjust(even niemi went through a rough patch adjusting to our D) the thing is we won't and can't afford to tank games till he can be an average backup.

The relatively small amount we save isn't worth the ability to pull niemi in his occasional rough starts and have the player's confidence that the backup goalie will close the door on any more goals to allow them to focus on comebacks.

There were definitely times last season when I told myself niitty was just the better goalie of the two, his style was more fun to watch as well being more athletic, and fewer issues stopping pucks above waist-level. I just think with the differences in their styles it's great to have them both.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
KzooShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The other thing is that putting Sateri in the ECHL is a major step down in competition from what he was doing in Europe. He also fared very well in his brief stint in Worcester for a guy who had just been playing on international ice. Sending him to the ECHL might stunt his development at this point, and my understanding was that he would not be returning to Europe as the Sharks wanted to start his development on North American ice both to get a better judge of his talent and allow our development staff to start working with him.

So if Sateri is going to be in the AHL, we have too many goalies. So I am a bit confused.
It might be possible that Stalock would agree to play a few games in the ECHL when he first gets back as a rehab stint since it'll be what, February 2012 before it's been a full year since the injury. I doubt he's going to do a ton in any league this year.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:31 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

capgeek: Thomas Greiss's #NHL #SJSharks deal is one-way in the second season http://t.co/CsslMlW

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:51 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturefan39 View Post
Poor argument as he had about the same defense as Eddie Lack, Anders Nilsson and Jakob Markstrom had.

Markstrom was about 2.00 GAA with 20 more games played.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:16 PM

And JP Anderson is still in Juniors for what one more year? Then they have to place him somewhere. So many goalies... no wonder we havent drafted any in the last couple of years.

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:19 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209 View Post
And JP Anderson is still in Juniors for what one more year? Then they have to place him somewhere. So many goalies... no wonder we havent drafted any in the last couple of years.
He should be. Thomas Heemskerk become a question though, because I think his jr eligibility is over. like someone (LS?) said, it's possible that DW works out a partnership agreement with another AHL club or two and loans one or two of our goalies to them.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 23 GP, 9-10-4 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:36 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
He should be. Thomas Heemskerk become a question though, because I think his jr eligibility is over. like someone (LS?) said, it's possible that DW works out a partnership agreement with another AHL club or two and loans one or two of our goalies to them.
Heemskerk won't be in juniors (he was overage last season).

Sharks have a slew goalies signed that **will** play pro (most likely in North America) this coming season.

Sharks were a bit handcuffed with ECHL Stockton affiliation as Edmonton had a goalie there too, so they couldn't provide 2 to a single team. Ended up having Sateri and Greiss play in Europe, Heemskerk as overager. Hutton is gone, and those three are looking for a roster spot.

Old
07-06-2011, 04:49 PM

I just don't see DW loaning players, especially goaltenders, to other organizations...generally when that's done that marks the end of those player's careers with the loaning team.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:07 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I just don't see DW loaning players, especially goaltenders, to other organizations...generally when that's done that marks the end of those player's careers with the loaning team.
I think you have the wrong idea.

Affiliates (ECHL, CHL) can play the heck out of a player. If there's an injury, the guy can be called up.

Sharks still "control" the development of the player.

(I doubt the Sharks will find another AHL team to send a goal to, but Worcester will have 2-4 guys on the roster.)

Old
07-06-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
I think you have the wrong idea.

Affiliates (ECHL, CHL) can play the heck out of a player. If there's an injury, the guy can be called up.

Sharks still "control" the development of the player.

(I doubt the Sharks will find another AHL team to send a goal to, but Worcester will have 2-4 guys on the roster.)
I don't have the wrong idea, I just accidentally left "AHL" out of my post. ECHL loans happen all the time, but AHL loans to other organizations generally don't happen if the loaning team has any interest in keeping that player.

Old
07-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Better late than never I guess.

@brodiebrazilCSN Brodie Brazil

#sjsharks resign G Thomas Greiss to a 2-year deal

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I don't have the wrong idea, I just accidentally left "AHL" out of my post. ECHL loans happen all the time, but AHL loans to other organizations generally don't happen if the loaning team has any interest in keeping that player.
Didn't Edmonton work out loan deals for Jeff Deslauriers/Devan Dubnyk a few years ago? Granted IIRC that was a bit different because the Oil shared an AHL team with another NHL franchise and they didn't have the space to put all their goalies on the same roster.

The Nemesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Didn't Edmonton work out loan deals for Jeff Deslauriers/Devan Dubnyk a few years ago? Granted IIRC that was a bit different because the Oil shared an AHL team with another NHL franchise and they didn't have the space to put all their goalies on the same roster.
Yeah, without a team of their own they were at the mercy of placing guys wherever they could find a spot.

Old
07-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Yeah, without a team of their own they were at the mercy of placing guys wherever they could find a spot.
that is technically the same as the sharks are in right now, it just so happened that a few years in a row the sharks went goalie crazy and picked 3 or 4 quality goalies that all should be starting in the ahl at basically the same time.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
that is technically the same as the sharks are in right now, it just so happened that a few years in a row the sharks went goalie crazy and picked 3 or 4 quality goalies that all should be starting in the ahl at basically the same time.
Right now there are 6 healthy goaltenders and 6 spots, so it isn't an issue. So DW has until Stalock can play to figure something out.

And just as an FYI, should DW decide to take one of the two likely headed to Worcester (Greiss/Sateri) and loan them out to another AHL team after the AHL season starts they cannot rejoin Worcester at a later point in the season if they play a single game for the other AHL team (the exception would be if their NHL rights were traded, then they could go back to Worcester)

Old
07-06-2011, 08:08 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Quote:
Edmonton didn't have an AHL affiliate; Dubnyk spent most of his development with Stockton.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568756
Sharks official announcement

Old
07-06-2011, 08:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Right now there are 6 healthy goaltenders and 6 spots, so it isn't an issue. So DW has until Stalock can play to figure something out.
AFAIK, there are 7 goalies (six healthy) and four spots (NHL/AHL).

The Sharks may or may not extend/renew affiliation with ECHL Stockton. I'm not aware they have any (current) AA minor affiliation.

Old
07-06-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Edmonton didn't have an AHL affiliate; Dubnyk spent most of his development with Stockton.
He spent one season there, and then 2.5ish seasons with Springfield in the AHL....that's hardly "most".

Old
07-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
AFAIK, there are 7 goalies (six healthy) and four spots (NHL/AHL).

The Sharks may or may not extend/renew affiliation with ECHL Stockton. I'm not aware they have any (current) AA minor affiliation.
It's 6 for 6.

Trust me.