HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo-NY Islanders or Buffalo-Minnesota

Old
07-06-2011, 09:48 AM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

vCash: 500
Buffalo-NY Islanders or Buffalo-Minnesota

Seeing how our two biggest needs are salary cap relief and top 6 center there are trade proposals that I thought might work.

To Buffalo:
C Josh Bailey
D Ty Wishart

To Islanders:
D Andej Sekera
D Shaone Morrisonn
CGY 2nd Round Pick 2012

or if you don't like that trade then maybe....

To Buffalo
C Matt Cullen

To Minnesota
D Andej Sekera
RW Brad Boyes

The Bored Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Reddawg

You're underpaying slightly in the first proposal and overpaying in the second, and neither Center represents an upgrade over the current roster in any event. If Josh Bailey was projecting to be a great top six Center, the Islanders probably wouldn't have taken Centers with two of their last three first round picks...at best he's a healthier Tim Connolly.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:02 AM
fightclubber25

i almost like the cullen idea.. we could use a solid scoring&checking center. i wouldnt give up two player for him though. id say morrisonn/sekera and a 3rd rounder is fair value.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:12 AM
tmack224

I love Bailey people easily forget hes only 21 with 3 seasons already under his belt. He is gonna be a great third line center with the possibility of first or second line center. I'm all for the first trade especially if we can dump Morrison on them.

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Cullen has a limited NTC. I wonder if that is even an option since part of the draw with signing in Minny is that he's a Minnesota kid who played at St Cloud St.?

Plus, I don't like that Cullen deal that much.

Bailey lit it up in the AHL last year and I could see that deal working out.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:24 AM
LGB24

Sekera and Boyes for Cullen is a huge overpayment

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I'd like to find a way to get something done around Sekera for Bailey... the Isles need to reach the floor... maybe they'd take Kotalik? or Morrisonn?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:08 PM
BritSabre

Bailey would be great for that 3rd line C hole. Love to get him in.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I'd love Matt Cullen as our 3rd line center, but we're overpaying for him. No way do I give up Sekera to bring in Cullen.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Dabs21Nike

Something around Sekera for Bailey could work IMO. With our center depth it wouldn't be a terrible idea to try and plug him in at 3C.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:06 PM
SoFFacet

We aren't as deep on Dmen this season as people think we are. You need at least seven good ones to survive the playoffs, and right now Sekera is slated in that top-7 along with Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff, Leopold, Weber, and Gragnani. If you trade him you're guaranteed to end up with inexperienced and untrustworthy 3rd pairings later on.

I know that people are unhappy with the number of real centers we have, but imo thats a better problem than having insufficient Dmen. Besides, we do have some makeshift centers (Boyes, McCormick) and a maturing prospect (Adam) who can play center if necessary.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
We aren't as deep on Dmen this season as people think we are. You need at least seven good ones to survive the playoffs, and right now Sekera is slated in that top-7 along with Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff, Leopold, Weber, and Gragnani. If you trade him you're guaranteed to end up with inexperienced and untrustworthy 3rd pairings later on.

I know that people are unhappy with the number of real centers we have, but imo thats a better problem than having insufficient Dmen. Besides, we do have some makeshift centers (Boyes, McCormick) and a maturing prospect (Adam) who can play center if necessary.
If we're winning faceoffs, the d-men dont have to be on the hook quite as often - The lack-of-natural-centre issue is a huge bane on the Sabres right now -

- Adam, Boyes, Hecht, McCormick, Gerbe are all capable of playing the position, TRUE.
- These players are the ones that you want taking key faceoffs, FALSE

There are only 2 guys (which is bad cause we have 4 lines...) on this team that i would trust to take a faceoff in our own end - Roy & Goose. I am not even sure I trust Leino yet, mind you, I hope I get proven wrong quickly.

1. Roy
2. Leino
3. ??? (Hecht)
4. Goose
X. Stuart, Adam

We are deep enough on the back end to still be competitive - Scheistel, Brennan, & McNabb are all relatively close to being ready - and we have enough vets back there now that we arent stuck in a position where 2 rookies are paired together (ie: Butler-Weber, Sekera-Butler etc...)

1. Regehr - Myers
2. Leopold - Ehrhoff
3. Gragnani - Weber
x. Morrisonn, Scheistel, Brennan, McNabb

If someone gets hurt, you just mix & match a bit...

Remember this is only year 1 of a 3 year plan!!! Our depth in the system at centre sucks, and is still going to suck in 2 years... Our depth at defense is really good, we have 2-3 near-ready kids & 2-3 that will be in a couple years... Lets get a natural centre or two!!!

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:51 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
If we're winning faceoffs, the d-men dont have to be on the hook quite as often - The lack-of-natural-centre issue is a huge bane on the Sabres right now -

- Adam, Boyes, Hecht, McCormick, Gerbe are all capable of playing the position, TRUE.
- These players are the ones that you want taking key faceoffs, FALSE

There are only 2 guys (which is bad cause we have 4 lines...) on this team that i would trust to take a faceoff in our own end - Roy & Goose. I am not even sure I trust Leino yet, mind you, I hope I get proven wrong quickly.

1. Roy
2. Leino
3. ??? (Hecht)
4. Goose
X. Stuart, Adam

We are deep enough on the back end to still be competitive - Scheistel, Brennan, & McNabb are all relatively close to being ready - and we have enough vets back there now that we arent stuck in a position where 2 rookies are paired together (ie: Butler-Weber, Sekera-Butler etc...)

1. Regehr - Myers
2. Leopold - Ehrhoff
3. Gragnani - Weber
x. Morrisonn, Scheistel, Brennan, McNabb

If someone gets hurt, you just mix & match a bit...

Remember this is only year 1 of a 3 year plan!!! Our depth in the system at centre sucks, and is still going to suck in 2 years... Our depth at defense is really good, we have 2-3 near-ready kids & 2-3 that will be in a couple years... Lets get a natural centre or two!!!
I totally disagree that faceoffs are more important than defensemen. Morrisson will likely be waived or traded as per his wish. That gives us only six Dmen not counting Sekera before we get to callups. I'm okay with McNabb/Brennan being the 8th Dman in. 7th, that makes me nervous. More nervous than Adam playing 3/4C, anyways.

We can always trade Dmen for Centers later on when more of our D pipeline is ready for the NHL. We might not even need to if two of Leino, Adam, Catennacci, Sundher or Jacobs work out. But in any case this year a quality 7th D is more important to us than an 8th player capable of playing C (current seven being Roy, Leino, Hecht, Goose, Boyes, Adam, McCormick) even if several of our current Cs are converted wingers.

And for the love of god, there is no three year plan. Thats something Terry came up with in the heat of the moment to inspire fans. The plan is to be competitive this year, next year, every year.

Last edited by SoFFacet: 07-06-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old
07-07-2011, 03:52 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:

sign hannan use mag as the 7th and if need be add a veteran fa dman at league minimum.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:28 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
sign hannan use mag as the 7th and if need be add a veteran fa dman at league minimum.
Or, we use our own perfectly good Dmen instead of signing random idiots.

Old
07-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Herman Hessian
Hyperbole Mania #1

Quote:

And for the love of god, there is no three year plan. Thats something Terry came up with in the heat of the moment to inspire fans
hallelujah - at last, someone else takes that PR soundbite for exactly what it was rather than a cast iron guarantee - no-one with an ounce of business sense would ever hamstring themselves by making that sort of remark and expect it to be taken to heart, particularly in a sport where so many intangibles can derail the best laid plans....

Herman Hessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 04:14 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarwarrior27 View Post
Seeing how our two biggest needs are salary cap relief
Stopped reading after this.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 04:18 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'd like to find a way to get something done around Sekera for Bailey... the Isles need to reach the floor... maybe they'd take Kotalik? or Morrisonn?
Same. I came into the thread ready to laugh, but the base of the deal isn't a horrendous starting point.

The hurdle, obviously, would be that the Isles would value Bailey far higher than what we'd probably give up in Regier's eyes.

And is Bailey the guy you want to throw your chips at to acquire? Or do you go after someone more proven and a bit older?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:19 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Seeing how our two biggest needs are salary cap relief and top 6 center there are trade proposals that I thought might work.

To Buffalo:
C Josh Bailey
D Ty Wishart

To Islanders:
D Andej Sekera
D Shaone Morrisonn
CGY 2nd Round Pick 2012
I've no idea how highly Snow and his scouts view the inconsistent Sekera,if they'd think he was a high enough upgrade on Eaton,to give up Bailey.

You can take Morrison out of the deal.With Sekera the nyi would have 7 blueliners signed and both De Haan/Donovan headed to Bridgeport for their 1st yr.From comments I've read,it sounds like the Isles expect both to be pushing for nhl jobs by the end of next season.

No interest in moving the big kid Wishart.He looked solid in his time playing with the NYI, after he was dealt for Rolison.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:

To Buffalo:
C Josh Bailey
D Ty Wishart

To Islanders:
D Andej Sekera
D Shaone Morrisonn
CGY 2nd Round Pick 2012

To Buffalo
C Matt Cullen

To Minnesota
D Andej Sekera
RW Brad Boyes
Not to be rude, but you do realize that Leino wasn't brought in to play 4th line center? And Roy isn't going to be on the 3rd line either. Those are your top 2 line centers to start the season.

I'm not sure what the deadline is to become cap compliant, but depending on what Sekera and Enroth make they might pursue a salary dump for a draft pick or a buyout.

As far as the trades go they look decent to me, I would consider making both of those deals if the other team was willing.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:57 PM
vein

did you just steal my avatar?

vein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:00 PM
cjdv16

Quote:

To Buffalo:
C Josh Bailey
D Ty Wishart

To Islanders:
D Andej Sekera
D Shaone Morrisonn
CGY 2nd Round Pick 2012

To Buffalo
C Matt Cullen

To Minnesota
D Andej Sekera
RW Brad Boyes
That trade's a joke from an Isles perspective.

How's a deal like Ennis & Myers for Wishart, Bailey, and a sweeter of that good ole' 2nd round pick sound?

Didn't think so.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:36 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
That trade's a joke from an Isles perspective.

How's a deal like Ennis & Myers for Wishart, Bailey, and a sweeter of that good ole' 2nd round pick sound?

Didn't think so.
Not that the deal in the OP is even close to as bad as what you just posted, but really, you felt the need to post here? In the Sabres forum? In a thread where most people already told the OP it was a bad idea?

Old
07-10-2011, 09:58 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Not that the deal in the OP is even close to as bad as what you just posted, but really, you felt the need to post here? In the Sabres forum? In a thread where most people already told the OP it was a bad idea?
QED

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vein View Post
did you just steal my avatar?
I feel shame.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote