HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2018 Olympics in Korea

Old
07-06-2011, 11:34 AM
BayStreetBully

vCash: 500
2018 Olympics in Korea

Well, it looks like PyeongChang, Korea will be hosting the 2018 Winter Olympics! Congratulations to them, the NHLers will enjoy it there!

BayStreetBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:41 AM
fatloui

I wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL skip the Olympics that year and for very few players to object. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the NHL and KHL setting up their own international tournament somewhere in North America or Europe.

fatloui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Grabovski
Skittles

vCash: 50
Thats weird

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:04 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

congrats to Korea, I was hoping germany would get it so i could go over possibly but not anymore

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatloui View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL skip the Olympics that year and for very few players to object. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the NHL and KHL setting up their own international tournament somewhere in North America or Europe.
crazy idea. Olympic hockey tourney is organised by IOC not by NHL or KHL. So hockey tourney in city which hosts games or no hockey tourney. I dont agree with your idea.

Last edited by vorky: 07-06-2011 at 03:00 PM.
vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:12 PM
BayStreetBully

This was long overdue. Korea is a growing winter power and they deserved the Games after campaigning so hard for a decade. I'm actually pretty pumped about a Korean Olympics.

Old
07-06-2011, 12:29 PM
fatloui

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
crazy idea. Olympic hockey tourney is organised by IOC not by NHL or KHL. So hockey tourney in city which hosts games or no hockey tourney. I dont agree with your idea.

Yes, this communist coutry is problem, but problem of IOC.
I'm saying it would not be a part of the Olympics, and it's not really my idea. Last year when there was a lot of talk about the NHL skipping out on 2014, it was suggested that they could set up their own international tournament instead (that they could profit on). If they were to do so at any time as a replacement for the Olympics, it's likely they'd tried to work with other major leagues like the KHL and SEL or at least invite their players.

fatloui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:30 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBully View Post
This was long overdue. Korea is a growing winter power and they deserved the Games after campaigning so hard for a decade. I'm actually pretty pumped about a Korean Olympics.
the bad side is its going to cost alot for people to get there then accommodation, ticket costs and travel, food etc etc

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Memphis The Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Yes, this communist coutry is problem, but problem of IOC.
What?

Good for the South Koreans, they really deserved it.

Memphis The Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:09 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
I'm saying it would not be a part of the Olympics, and it's not really my idea. Last year when there was a lot of talk about the NHL skipping out on 2014, it was suggested that they could set up their own international tournament instead (that they could profit on). If they were to do so at any time as a replacement for the Olympics, it's likely they'd tried to work with other major leagues like the KHL and SEL or at least invite their players.
I respect your point of view but I dont agree with it. There is only one subject with legitimacy to organise international hockey tourneys. It is IIHF (or IOC at Olympics)

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:30 PM
ES

Is South Korea actually playing in hockey tournament with elites then? As a host they basically should, but they have a very weak team, although there's seven years left to develop players.

Discounting obvious hockey powers USA and Canada, in the last 20 years we have had hockey tourneys in

France - they were mostly 11th and 12th that time, surprised in the Olympics and ended 8th. But that was of course before dissolution of USSR and Czechoslovakia. (well, actually USSR was no more, but they continued under Commonwealth of Independent States for Albertville games, and new nations started out in low tiers.

Norway - between 9th and 12th at that time. The new countries had not rised to the top level with an exception of Slovakia, who entered the Olympics through qualification. In the World Champs Slovakia reached top level for 1996.

Japan - clearly weakest of four. Were having Asian mandate in World Champs for a while, but now just outside top 20. Still, their all-time Worlds record against South Korea is 15 wins and one draw in 16 games.

Italy - Has been in the elevator for some time now. Before the Olympics, in the worlds they were relegated in 2002 and got promoted in 2005. They did better than expected in their own Olympics, draws against Switzerland and Germany, biggest loss was 0-6 to Finland. Also the only of the weaker host nations who has played against dream teams - Nagano games had two-tier system where eight teams were playing for two spots with big six - those went to Belarus and Kazakhstan.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
Is South Korea actually playing in hockey tournament with elites then? As a host they basically should, but they have a very weak team, although there's seven years left to develop players.
I was thinking about the same thing, and I'm pretty confident that they will participate. They finished 3rd in their Division I group in this year's World Championships, so least they have some kind of talent.

To be honest, they will be thrashed, but who cares?

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:03 PM
billybobjoe2112

vCash: 73
I'm more concerned about the Womens side. It's gonna easily be 20-0 or 30-0 for Team Canada.

billybobjoe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:48 AM
hattub

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
I'm more concerned about the Womens side. It's gonna easily be 20-0 or 30-0 for Team Canada.
I'm actually here living in Korea where the hockey will take place. I play hockey with 2 of the girls on the woman's team. They come out every once and awhile to play with my mens team for extra practise. They're only middle school and high school aged but they're not bad. Not Canadian good, but getting better.

Last edited by hattub: 07-07-2011 at 08:04 AM.
hattub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
And maybe we'd see the first Korean-born (and trained) NHL or KHL draftee by 2018...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleKarppa View Post
the bad side is its going to cost alot for people to get there then accommodation, ticket costs and travel, food etc etc
Maybe for the Europeans. But the Korean won is undervalued (Seoul has a reputation as a shopper's paradise!) so the cost of living once you get there isn't bad.

Quote:
No worries, a 41-year-old Richard Park will be coaxed out of retirement to play for the motherland.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:49 AM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
Is South Korea actually playing in hockey tournament with elites then? As a host they basically should, but they have a very weak team, although there's seven years left to develop players.....
There was talk by the IIHF after Turin '06 that the host team might not get automatically qualified in future tournaments. This was due to the horrendous showing by the Italian Women's team.

I was not sure if this had been confirmed or not, but then I saw this:
IIHF on Twitter
July 7th, 2011 @ 3:04am PST
Quote:
Clarification: There is NO decision yet whether the host nation (Korea) will get automatic entry to the 2018 Olympic hockey tournaments.
I'd say the IIHF and the IOC should nudge the South Koreans to actually invest in their hockey program over the next 7 years. They won't make it to medal contention, but they can increase over their 31st rank now.

It is sad from a hockey fan's perspective to see up and coming Winter Sports nations like S. Korea, Japan and China heavily invest in all other winter sports but virtually ignore hockey. The reason for this is for all the investment needed to bring their respective hockey programs to the point of contenting for a medal, they can use the same amount of resources to get over a dozen medals in single athlete competitions such as speed skating etc...

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...136_89997.html 'PyeongChang Games will help ice hockey's spread' from The Korea Times

Quote:
....In Korea, the number of people who play ice hockey has increased but several factors including the lack of ice hockey venues makes expansion difficult. Though the circumstances aren’t perfect, the Halla players are sure that the sport can succeed in Korea and Japan with a little boost.

“Hardcore fans of Halla have multiplied and someday we are confident that ice hockey can succeed like baseball in Korea,” Halla official Min Ji-young said. “The ice hockey league needs motivation. If people started to discover ice hockey they would like it. The PyeongChang Winter Olympics in 2018 could be a trigger to popularize ice hockey not only in Asia but also Korea.” Halla head coach Shim Eui-sik agreed that PyeongChang’s bid win would promote ice hockey in Asia and Korea. “The gap between Korea and world class teams is huge. But Korea can rapidly shorten the gap through the Winter Games,” Shim said....
Also this from a Canadian blogger in Gwangju: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...162_77684.html

Quote:
....Recent years have witnessed the emergence of several recreational ice hockey teams in cities throughout the country, including Seoul, Daejeon, Cheongju and Gwangyang. There is also a team in my adopted city of Gwangju, where every weekend, a group of Canadians, Americans and Koreans take to the ice for approximately two hours at the Yeomju Sports Complex.

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
I see zero chance of that happening.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:07 PM
DetBigWangs

Quote:
Well, it looks like PyeongChang, Korea will be hosting the 2018 Winter Olympics! Congratulations to them, the NHLers will enjoy it there!

Sounds and looks so much like Pyongyang

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Maybe, one day, Anyang Halla would gain VHL (or perhaps KHL) entry...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:25 PM
AIREAYE

whoever thought that South Korea is communist... wow. -facepalm-

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:16 PM
PaulieVegas

There is no chance the NHL will participate in the Korean Olympics. They're something like 17 hours ahead of us, games will be on at all kinds of odd, overnight hours. Ratings will be too low for the NHl to consider stopping play. Instead, they'll have a World Cup that summer.

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:25 PM
BayStreetBully

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
There is no chance the NHL will participate in the Korean Olympics. They're something like 17 hours ahead of us, games will be on at all kinds of odd, overnight hours. Ratings will be too low for the NHl to consider stopping play. Instead, they'll have a World Cup that summer.
The NHL can't just pick and choose which Olympics it wants to play in. Either they're in or they're out. If they want to be part of Vancouver and Salt Lake, then Sochi and Pyeongchang come with it. The IIHF won't like being toyed with, and neither will the IOC. And by 2018, most of the NHLers will be of age where they grew up watching Gretzky, Yzerman, Bure, Hasek, Selanne and others in the Olympics. Crosby and others are not going to stand for being shut out of the Olympics.

And time differential can actually be better in Korea than it is in Europe for North American viewers. I missed the gold medal game in Italy because I slept in.

12 noon in Korea is 10 pm in Toronto/NY and 7 pm in Vancouver/LA.

3 pm in Korea is 1 am in the Toronto/NY and 10 pm in Vancouver/LA.

Just put the Canada and US games in those time slots and problem solved.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
They went to Nagano, which is in the same time zone.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:30 PM
joe89

Feels kinda premature to speculate about NHL players going there when they haven't even made that decision for Sotji..

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote