HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blueshirt Underground Radio Guest James Patrick 8PM

Old
07-06-2011, 03:54 PM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
Blueshirt Underground Radio Guest James Patrick 8PM

We are interviewing James Patrick tonight and will be talking to him not just about his playing days with the Rangers but what he thinks of the Sabres new ownership and the first few days of Sabres prospect camp.

Blueshirt Underground Radio

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be tuning in

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Just wanted to say I liked your show a lot, Patrick's always a really good interview -- smart and isn't one of those guys with the generic answer athlete syndrome. Good mix of Rangers and Sabres talk in the interview, I've always been into the Rangers as well so long as they aren't conflicting with the Sabres and discounting when Sather took them off the rails in free agency.

Of Sabres fan interest, he weighed in on an oft-debated topic: he sees no problem with forwards on the point. Right off the bat he conceded that the Sabres let in the second-most short handed goals last season but went on to say a lot of those were due to defensemen making mistakes on the point or turnovers from other positions. He specifically mentioned that Myers was responsible for many poor turnovers during his regressed 20 game opening stretch and really drove home how well Myers rebounded from a -17 to finish at an even 0. He mentioned Pominville specifically as a guy he thinks acquits himself very well defensively, with good back skating and instincts; says Poms is a guy who can fill in for defense when players are lost in games. He went on to say these days most forwards are capable skating backwards and keeping players to the outside.

He also mentioned Ehrhoff is more of a point shooter than a PP QB which I think bears repeating for those who aren't yet aware.

He mentioned that playing with Ruff at the tail end of his Rangers career is what led to him coming to play for the Sabres years later and eventually a spot on the coaching staff. I'm sure plenty of us were aware of that but for those who weren't, there you go.

Lots of talk about 80's Rangers players and some talk about Sabres alumni by proxy of Pegula flying everyone in. He said all the kinds of positive things you'd expect about Pegula, as did the radio guys who seemed to have purely positive views on Pegula Power. All in all a really good interview from a guy who seemed clearly enjoyed talking about hockey past and present with real Rangers fans (some of the best fans in the league, imo).

Old
07-07-2011, 12:37 AM
The Mouth

Thanks Rob for the kind words. James is a terrific guy and my favorite things from the interview were his palpable disdain for the flyers and the fact that Joceyln Gouvernmont (sp) actually showed up at the alumni party

I think the ranger fans in the chat room live were a bit envious that you have an owner who cares and is a fan.

As far as I am concerned there are only 2 teams in NY

The Rangers and Sabres and I root for the Sabres when there is no conflict because I am a fan of James Patrick.

http://blueshirtunderground.blogspot.com/

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:41 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Great snag on the interview, and well done!

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Thanks Rob for the kind words. James is a terrific guy and my favorite things from the interview were his palpable disdain for the flyers and the fact that Joceyln Gouvernmont (sp) actually showed up at the alumni party

I think the ranger fans in the chat room live were a bit envious that you have an owner who cares and is a fan.

As far as I am concerned there are only 2 teams in NY

The Rangers and Sabres and I root for the Sabres when there is no conflict because I am a fan of James Patrick.

http://blueshirtunderground.blogspot.com/
After I posted my reply I was like "**** I forgot to mention his diplomatic ****ing on Flyers fans" but by the time I got back to my computer I'd forgotten about it. It was great, I remember watching the incident live (on TV) that he described, the fans throwing beer cans at Lindy and the coaching staff after game 6. I'd never judge someone who told me they were a Flyers fan, but Flyers fans as a whole are just awful.

Growing up my favorite sports teams were the Sabres, Bills, Knicks, and Yankees (though I'm mostly indifferent to baseball and the Yankees these past few years), and the Rangers were basically the fifth team in. Getting all the Rangers games on MSG as a little kid (born in '84) gave me my hockey fix when the Sabres weren't playing. It didn't hurt that just a couple years after I started watching them they went and won the Cup with a team that was fun as hell to play with on those early Sega NHL games (Sabres and Chicago were the other great teams to play with -- Mogilny was unstoppable cutting across the crease and I once played with Chicago where I was on the PK for the entire game after the opening faceoff). When the Rangers tried to "rebuild" in the late 90's on a strictly cash basis it killed a bit of my interest in them but coming out of the lockout they had some great series with the Sabres which drew my respect and I really love their current core players, so I was glad that they, out of all the other teams, got Richards. Hopefully we'll see another tough series with the Rags this spring with the Sabres coming out on top.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 07-07-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old
07-07-2011, 07:53 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Ruff said the same thing about Ehrhoff. He's a PP trigger man, not necessarily a PPQB that'll hold puck possession and walk the blueline etc

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
...He also mentioned Ehrhoff is more of a point shooter than a PP QB which I think bears repeating for those who aren't yet aware...
Ruff has said the same on local sports-talk radio as well. He's here to shoot it. If nothing else, the coaching staff is consistent.

07-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Ruff said the same thing about Ehrhoff. He's a PP trigger man, not necessarily a PPQB that'll hold puck possession and walk the blueline etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Ruff has said the same on local sports-talk radio as well. He's here to shoot it. If nothing else, the coaching staff is consistent.
Happy they're consistent. If he's in the lineup, Gragnani should be running the PP. He's got the instincts and vision--say nothing for the movement he creates--to run an NHL PP.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:14 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Happy they're consistent. If he's in the lineup, Gragnani should be running the PP. He's got the instincts and vision--say nothing for the movement he creates--to run an NHL PP.
He showed glimpses of capability in that regard. But like all else, scouting comes into play, and Grags' tendencies (if he does indeed frequent the PP) will be picked up on. Hoping he has a nice arsenal of moves, knowing where to look and find the open man, when to shoot, when to walk the line, etc.

I don't doubt Grags has PPQB ability in him. I want to see it for a full year+.

His ability to lead the rush up ice on the PP will be nice. I've always been a fan of the dman being the one to skate the puck up ice for the PP break in, as opposed to letting a forward pick it up behind the net. Problem is, we havent had that back end fluidity since Campbell, really

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote