HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trenton Devils close up shop

Old
07-07-2011, 10:29 AM
kingjdv

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kingjdv
Trenton Devils close up shop

Congrats to the NJ Devils. Now the Trenton fan base matches their own. Zero!

http://www.trentonian.com/articles/2...3929944249.txt

Hopefully, Trenton can get an expansion club, re-invent the Titans and get the Flyers and Isles back in there.

kingjdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:57 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

i was a titan season ticket holder and it was a good time for awhile as they were always competitive. the first year they changed names, we didn't renew...my family are all huge flyers fans, why would we ever cheer on a team associated with the devils. and the few games I did go to, the product always sucked. hopefully a new ownership group will bring back the titans.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:40 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Wow and I had an opportunity to get an internship with them over the fall. Good thing I passed on that and went with the Riversharks

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:41 PM
FlyerX

Flyers should have done what it took to get the Phantoms in there instead of moving way the hell up to Glen Falls.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:09 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Flyers should have done what it took to get the Phantoms in there instead of moving way the hell up to Glen Falls.
Given that the Devils had a very long-term lease with the arena, that wasn't possible. However this does open the opportunity for the Brooks Group to bring the Phantoms to Trenton for 2012-13, as it does not look like there will be an arena in Allentown any time soon.

The Devils ruined AHL hockey in Lowell and are ruining it in Albany and now they have killed ECHL hockey in Trenton, a city that used to average over 7000 fans per night.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Given that the Devils had a very long-term lease with the arena, that wasn't possible. However this does open the opportunity for the Brooks Group to bring the Phantoms to Trenton for 2012-13, as it does not look like there will be an arena in Allentown any time soon.

The Devils ruined AHL hockey in Lowell and are ruining it in Albany and now they have killed ECHL hockey in Trenton, a city that used to average over 7000 fans per night.
Lowell used to struggle to reach 1500 fans in Lowell even when some of their biggest rivals were in town. I went to a game a couple of years ago to see them play Manchester and their was such a small crowd you could hear the players talking on the ice.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:03 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Lowell used to struggle to reach 1500 fans in Lowell even when some of their biggest rivals were in town. I went to a game a couple of years ago to see them play Manchester and their was such a small crowd you could hear the players talking on the ice.
While Lowell was not a great draw when they were the Lock Monsters under the Isles and then Hurricanes, they were somewhat respectable. When the Devils came to town, it went south very quick, much like what happened in Trenton.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:47 PM
schroed3r

I've been to a couple Trenton Devils games when they played the Reading Royals. The arena is in a not so great section and the ticket prices and concession prices are rediculous. They average about 1000 people if that. It's no suprise that they closed up shop.

schroed3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Mosetter27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Wow and I had an opportunity to get an internship with them over the fall. Good thing I passed on that and went with the Riversharks

a buddy of mine is a equipment manager for them Ryan Bittle... ill be at the sharks game on sunday the section to the left of the riversharks dugout front row seats 3 & 4

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:31 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroed3r View Post
I've been to a couple Trenton Devils games when they played the Reading Royals. The arena is in a not so great section and the ticket prices and concession prices are rediculous. They average about 1000 people if that. It's no suprise that they closed up shop.
There are plenty of arenas across the country that are in "no so great sections" of the city, yet they draw fans. If you put a good product on the ice, people will come see it, which is evidenced by the fact that when the Titans were good, they drew between 5000 and 7000 per game.

The arena is top notch, absolutely AHL calibre, and I think a Phantoms AHL team would draw very well there. It would make a lot of sense on many levels for the Brooks Group to explore this opportunity and get out of Glens Falls.