HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

different sharpening methods

Old
06-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Blueland89

vCash: 500
different sharpening methods

I've been playing inline for about a year and a half now and I am about to start playing ice when I get my skates sharpened if i'm not mistaken there are different edges what are they and there advantages

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:10 AM
trtaylor

See http://home.comcast.net/~shshockeystats/skates.html for a good introduction.

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:24 PM
ponder

Smaller ROH (radius of hollow) = deeper hollow/steeper edges = more bite into the ice, but also more friction and thus less glide.

Most people use a 1/2" ROH, if you feel like that's not enough bite/edge hold you can try 3/8", if you feel like you'd be fine with less bite, try 5/8".

There's also FBV (flat bottom v) sharpenings, but that's a whole different story, and not many shops offer it, I'd just stick with traditional "ROH" sharpenings at first.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 03:03 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

I also come from a roller background. Here's a basic overview of skate sharpening that breaks it down for you.

In the beginning you might want to go with something "sharper" like 3/8 since you are used to wheel bite that occurs when you angle your inline skates too sharp (for example, transitioning from back to front). Once you get used to the gliding motion of ice you might try a flatter hollow.

I skate on a 5/8 blade now and I love it.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Recast

Send a message via MSN to Recast
I've been to all sorts of skate sharpening places around this city and can't seem to get 3/8 consistently. Is there something I can do or someway I can check to see if my skates are done well? Maybe 1 out of 4 or 5 times I actually get the hollow that I want. Just want to be able to walk into a shop, say "3/8's", and get what I want.

Recast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:51 PM
AIREAYE

First off Chemical, awesome avatar pic. Love that album and love the band

Some (I think most shops should have them) use a device to check the balance of the hollow post-sharpening. This is simply a plane scale to see if the edges of the steel are perfectly flat and balanced. You could perhaps politely request a shop to check that for you.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 04:09 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
First off Chemical, awesome avatar pic. Love that album and love the band

Some (I think most shops should have them) use a device to check the balance of the hollow post-sharpening. This is simply a plane scale to see if the edges of the steel are perfectly flat and balanced. You could perhaps politely request a shop to check that for you.
Yeah, too few shops use edge checkers, they should be standard but aren't. Nothing worse than a sharpen where the edges aren't level.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:25 PM
AIREAYE

Had a guy bring in skates sharpened from one of our biggest competitors. He complained about a horrible sharpening and upon checking the steel both visually and with the device, I could immediately tell that the balance was horrible off. It was like a wave pattern on the steel LOL.

Needless to say that after I showed that to him, he probably won't be going back there again.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote