HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Gregoire to WPG

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2011, 09:48 AM
  #76
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,908
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk View Post
Don't get too excited about Gregoire. The Isles get a little more negative flak than they deserve at times. But if Gregoire didn't stick in NY you can probably assume there is a fairly good reason. There's late bloomers to be had, sure, but in that regard Chevy probably made his first mistake not at least qualifying Anthony Stewart. Gregoire won't be making the team out of camp in fall. My two cents anyway.
I wouldn't assume anything, personally.

To be fair, Gregoire not making the Isles could be for a couple reasons. One being he may have wanted to finish what he started in North Dakota. Two being, perhaps he just wasn't ready at the young ages of 19-20. And don't forget, he didn't start playing for North Dakota immediately after he was drafted.

Being drafted out of the USHL at the time of his draft (2007), there was no way he was jumping to the NHL with just one year of USHL hockey to his name, not to mention he went back for a 2nd year in the USHL. So you can cross off expecting him to realistically make the Isles for the 2007-2008 or 2008-2009 seasons.

After his first season at North Dakota (2008-2009), he only had one year of WCHA under his belt at the age of 20, so, doubtful for him to make the jump to the NHL at that point. After his 2nd season in North Dakota he had still just turned 21, no need to rush him nor is there any reason to expect him to make the NHL at that point, in my opinion.

And, after his 3rd season in North Dakota, now just turning 22 this past season, well, here we are. Now is a realistic time for him to perhaps make the jump. But, even so, I would be very hesitant. Jumping from the WCHA schedule to the NHL schedule is gigantic. A season, or half a season, perhaps even 1.5-2 seasons in the AHL may be best for Gregoire.

Realistic expectations and patience is key.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=143887  3545 verified LNGE Contributor
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:15 AM
  #77
The Maltais Falcon
Registered User
 
The Maltais Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 500
This talk of his "not making the Islanders" or "not sticking in NY" is confusing to me. Since he was a college player up until now, there's no way he could've attended an NHL training camp. It's possible the Isles' brass weren't high on him based on his performances in summer prospect camps or in his college games, but there's no way he could've actually tried out for the team in pro camp before. The scheduling would've been impossible and there may be rules against NCAA athletes attending pro tryout camps anyways.

The Maltais Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
  #78
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,908
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post
This talk of his "not making the Islanders" or "not sticking in NY" is confusing to me. Since he was a college player up until now, there's no way he could've attended an NHL training camp. It's possible the Isles' brass weren't high on him based on his performances in summer prospect camps or in his college games, but there's no way he could've actually tried out for the team in pro camp before. The scheduling would've been impossible and there may be rules against NCAA athletes attending pro tryout camps anyways.
Ya, I believe you're correct.

College players can attend NHL camps so long as they pay their own transportation to and from the camp location, cover their own rooms and food at their own expense. They maintain their college status unless they have these expenses covered by an NHL team.

Or something like that.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:42 AM
  #79
Rheged
JMFT
 
Rheged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,460
vCash: 500
Nice signing, very solid NCAA numbers and a local product. Hard not to be pretty pleased about this one.

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:44 AM
  #80
White Noise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
Quote from Wpg Free Press,

"In the NHL's CBA, any college player who does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class becomes a free agent four June 1s after he was drafted.

The Islanders kept Gregoire's exclusive rights up to June 1 of this year, but not beyond, because he left college.

That put Gregoire on the open market early last month".

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know enough about the Isles to coment on why they let him go. It could be something as simple as they didn't need him for whatever reason. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with him.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...125129629.html

-37-

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:19 AM
  #81
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,046
vCash: 5239
It's on the main site now, so I guess it's official.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:21 AM
  #82
King Woodballs
**** HFJets
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 34,183
vCash: 375
how much is it for
i heard 3 years but dont know the $$$

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:33 AM
  #83
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 13,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
The Winnipeg Jets are pleased to announce they have agreed to terms with forward Jason Gregoire. As per club policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Gregoire, 22, has played the last three seasons for the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux where he has collected 109 points (57g, 52a) and 46 penalty minutes in 120 games played. Prior to UND, Gregoire spent two seasons with the Lincoln Stars of the United States Hockey League. The Winnipeg, MB native was named the USHL Player of the Year in his second season with Lincoln when he scored 69 points (37g, 32a) in 54 games. Gregoire also played two seasons with the Manitoba Junior Hockey League’s Winnipeg South Blues, helping them win the Turnbull Trophy in 2006.
http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568798

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:36 AM
  #84
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jet Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 780
vCash: 500
Why is it club policy to not disclose terms? Isn't all that stuff published by the league anyways?

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:37 AM
  #85
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,908
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Why is it club policy to not disclose terms? Isn't all that stuff published by the league anyways?
The numbers will likely come out soon.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:38 AM
  #86
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,046
vCash: 5239
Not going to lie, this most definitely makes my day.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:45 AM
  #87
White Noise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
A little off topic but Chipman graduated from UND so this will give Gregoire and Chipman something in comon apart from hockey.

-37-

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:08 PM
  #88
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote
 
Winnipeg Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: England
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Wouldn’t it be nice if we had our very own Blake Wheeler . . . oh . . . yeah . . . right . . . sorry, Blake.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:52 PM
  #89
Le Golie
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk View Post
Don't get too excited about Gregoire. The Isles get a little more negative flak than they deserve at times. But if Gregoire didn't stick in NY you can probably assume there is a fairly good reason. There's late bloomers to be had, sure, but in that regard Chevy probably made his first mistake not at least qualifying Anthony Stewart. Gregoire won't be making the team out of camp in fall. My two cents anyway.
What are you talking about? The Islanders were very high on this player and wanted badly to keep him in the fold but he chose to use the loophole to become a free agent.

Blake Kessel also pulled the same stunt and is now a free agent. It suck the Islanders lose two legitimate NHL prospects because of this. They wanted Gregoire and Kessel in their organization.

For our own sake as Jets fans, we better hope this loophole gets closed off when the next CBA is tabled or we'll get screwed out of some good college talent down the road as well.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:02 PM
  #90
Mungman
It's you not me.
 
Mungman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Outside the Asylum
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,972
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
What are you talking about? The Islanders were very high on this player and wanted badly to keep him in the fold but he chose to use the loophole to become a free agent.

Blake Kessel also pulled the same stunt and is now a free agent. It suck the Islanders lose two legitimate NHL prospects because of this. They wanted Gregoire and Kessel in their organization.

For our own sake as Jets fans, we better hope this loophole gets closed off when the next CBA is tabled or we'll get screwed out of some good college talent down the road as well.
Well this is only the second time (from what I've read) that this has been exploited, if it becomes a more regular occurance either you are correct and teams will continue to lose these drafted players, or you will see college players not get drafted until later in their college careers when they will have completed their degrees within the 4 years the loophole allows.

Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:06 PM
  #91
Le Golie
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
Well this is only the second time (from what I've read) that this has been exploited, if it becomes a more regular occurrence either you are correct and teams will continue to lose these drafted players, or you will see college players not get drafted until later in their college careers when they will have completed their degrees within the 4 years the loophole allows.
It will become more common. This year alone there are two. The Islanders have another very good prospect, Anders Lee, who would have this same option if he stays in college another two seasons.

This loophole hurts teams who are in the less desirable markets, so we should all hope this stops while we're ahead.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:07 PM
  #92
MissSioux85
Registered User
 
MissSioux85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
So happy the reports turned out to be true.

Gregoire was really fun to watch at UND. I can't wait to see him at the next level.

He scored a lot of great goals during his career as a Sioux. This is one of my favorites.

http://youtu.be/VKz27O1eRus

MissSioux85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:15 PM
  #93
Kevin27nyi
Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,082
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
What are you talking about? The Islanders were very high on this player and wanted badly to keep him in the fold but he chose to use the loophole to become a free agent.

Blake Kessel also pulled the same stunt and is now a free agent. It suck the Islanders lose two legitimate NHL prospects because of this. They wanted Gregoire and Kessel in their organization.

For our own sake as Jets fans, we better hope this loophole gets closed off when the next CBA is tabled or we'll get screwed out of some good college talent down the road as well.
If the Islanders wanted him they would have had him. They have no trouble keeping any college draft pick thus far and won't in the future. They didn't give him the money he felt he wanted and became a free agent and got his money. I mean, don't get me wrong, they would love to have him but at their price, not his. It's no biggie for the Isles, he isn't high in the prospect depth chart so we won't lose sleep over this and the Jets get a good prospect.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:23 PM
  #94
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,796
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Would be a nice story if he broke into the lineup next year. I love all these hometown signings!

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:26 PM
  #95
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,011
vCash: 500
This is a nice signing.

I would expect him to play a season to a season and a half in the AHL before earning a full time spot with the Jets.

If he develops accordingly and reaches his potential, I see no reason why he cannot develop into an Andrew Brunette or Alex Burrows type of player. Very serviceable player with a nice set of hands and a keen sense of defensive positioning.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:29 PM
  #96
White Noise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
I don't know what was going in within the Islanders organization but the reality is they let him go as of Jun 1. If they wanted him that bad, they could have kept him. Islanders were aware of his situation and may have simply overlooked the fact he was from Wpg and underestimated Jet interest.


Don't blame Wpg. Ask the Islanders why they didn't pay more attention. Another possiblity is that fan interest is greater than Islander interest for whatever reason.


-37-

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:32 PM
  #97
Kevin27nyi
Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,082
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I don't know what was going in within the Islanders organization but the reality is they let him go as of Jun 1. If they wanted him that bad, they could have kept him. Islanders were aware of his situation and may have simply overlooked the fact he was from Wpg and underestimated Jet interest.


Don't blame Wpg. Ask the Islanders why they didn't pay more attention. Another possiblity is that fan interest is greater than Islander interest for whatever reason.


-37-


this Islanders weren't caught off guard, they knew of this. They can't force him to sign.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:35 PM
  #98
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
love this signing for the jets! he had 37 points in 43 games with UND last year
Better than that he had 25 goals and 43 points in 33 games this past season with UND.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:35 PM
  #99
Le Golie
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
If the Islanders wanted him they would have had him.
The Islanders did want him, and they don't have him. I know the prevailing opinion on the Isles board is that Garth Snow dropped the ball here, but I haven't seen any indication that Gregoire badly wanted to sign with the Islanders at any point. He seemed content finishing his college career and opting to become a free agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
They have no trouble keeping any college draft pick thus far and won't in the future.
Really? Two of the three college players to ever use this loophole are Islander picks. Sure the Isles have as many NCAA grads as any team, but they don't have Gregoire or Kessel anymore. That's pretty significant. I wouldn't feel too comfortable about Anders Lee either until the ink is dry on his contract. I would hate to see him leave the Islanders too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
They didn't give him the money he felt he wanted and became a free agent and got his money. I mean, don't get me wrong, they would love to have him but at their price, not his. It's no biggie for the Isles, he isn't high in the prospect depth chart so we won't lose sleep over this and the Jets get a good prospect.

Make no mistake the Isles are very disappointed to lose him. He's certainly not as high on the Islanders prospect chart as he is here, but it always hurts to lose a solid prospect and get no compensation.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:36 PM
  #100
Canadienjet
Registered User
 
Canadienjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,644
vCash: 500
Do you guys think he will spend much time down here?

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.