Notices

Jason Gregoire to WPG

Old
07-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Le Golie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienjet View Post
Do you guys think he will spend much time down here?
I think he'll play this coming season there. He might push hard for a job with the Jets in camp so it will really depend on our depth when the roster is set. Personally I think he's good enough to play a fourth line role this season but for his sake I hope he gets a year to develop in St. John's.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I think he'll play this coming season there. He might push hard for a job with the Jets in camp so it will really depend on our depth when the roster is set. Personally I think he's good enough to play a fourth line role this season but for his sake I hope he gets a year to develop in St. John's.
I really don't know much about him anyone got a scouting report on him?Any vid's on youtube of him?Thanks.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:45 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
i think he has a legit shot at making the team so who knows, it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to let him start the year in St Johns

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:49 PM
White Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
Wouldn’t it be nice if we had our very own Blake Wheeler . . . oh . . . yeah . . . right . . . sorry, Blake.
What was the problem with Wheeler. Yotes wanted to see him go it seems and Thrasher fans want him to stay.

-37-

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:56 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

As Coyotes fans, we were downright P**sed off that Wheeler would do what he did after the Organization had taken a reach on him at #5.

In fact, the Coyotes offered him more $$$$ than the Bruins, but he wanted to be part of an organization with a rich history that was in a more traditional hockey market.

Upon learning he took less money elsewhere, the HATE was on and no Coyotes fan wanted him to be part of their team. We were glad to see him go and relished the fact that he got traded right before the Bruins went on to win the Stanley Cup.

They just wished the #5 selection would have been used on someone else. It sucks when you use a top 5 pick on someone and all you have to show for it is the 35th pick in the draft 4 years after the fact.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
I really don't know much about him anyone got a scouting report on him?Any vid's on youtube of him?Thanks.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post

Excited to say the least.Him,Klingberg and Petterson will be dynomite.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:43 PM
BrianL*

So, do we owe the Islanders a compensation draft pick?

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:01 PM
dkehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Not to my knowledge, no. As far as I know, he was an unrestricted free agent.

dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
No. Isles get bent over. Stupid rule.

If Gregoire had been a first rounder the team losing him would get a second round pick (not from the team who signed him, just a bonus pick) but there is no compensation for non-first rounders.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:32 PM
dkehler

Why are they pronouncing his name "GregWIRE" in the videos? Is there really how he pronounces it, or is it just that the announcer cannot pronounce Gregoire properly?

Old
07-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkehler View Post
Why are they pronouncing his name "GregWIRE" in the videos? Is there really how he pronounces it, or is it just that the announcer cannot pronounce Gregoire properly?
Not totally sure, but on NHL.com they've got under his name for pronunciation Grehg-wahr.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:41 PM
dkehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Not totally sure, but on NHL.com they've got under his name for pronunciation Grehg-wahr.
Okay. That is what I would expect. Thanks.

Old
07-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Ya, I believe you're correct.

College players can attend NHL camps so long as they pay their own transportation to and from the camp location, cover their own rooms and food at their own expense. They maintain their college status unless they have these expenses covered by an NHL team.

Or something like that.
In addition to this, they are not allowed to keep any equipment or clothing they use at the camp.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:47 PM
White Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
As Coyotes fans, we were downright P**sed off that Wheeler would do what he did after the Organization had taken a reach on him at #5.

In fact, the Coyotes offered him more $$$$ than the Bruins, but he wanted to be part of an organization with a rich history that was in a more traditional hockey market.

Upon learning he took less money elsewhere, the HATE was on and no Coyotes fan wanted him to be part of their team. We were glad to see him go and relished the fact that he got traded right before the Bruins went on to win the Stanley Cup.

They just wished the #5 selection would have been used on someone else. It sucks when you use a top 5 pick on someone and all you have to show for it is the 35th pick in the draft 4 years after the fact.
Thanks

Karma does exist. To go from the Bruins to the Leafs and be that close to the SC. Life can be a beeeatch at times. Leafs are starting to pick up and they'll get to the playoffs eventually.

-37-

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:27 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Gregoire looks like he has 3rd/2nd line tweener potential from what I see in those videos.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:51 PM
WpgSensFan

Quote:
Being that he is already 22 years old I would say depending on the camp he has there is a good chance he could make the big team to at least start the season.

WpgSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:43 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Quote:
What are you talking about? The Islanders were very high on this player and wanted badly to keep him in the fold but he chose to use the loophole to become a free agent.
That's not exactly the situation and circumstances. If the Islanders really wanted to keep Gregs in the system, they could have.

Another Isles fan posting here chimed in with a similar take:
Quote:
If the Islanders wanted him they would have had him. They have no trouble keeping any college draft pick thus far and won't in the future. They didn't give him the money he felt he wanted and became a free agent and got his money.
Too much is being made of this minor, minor signing. I'll be awfully surprised if Gregoire has any impact at all in the NHL this season with the Jets. I wish the local kid well, but it's not like he's a highly touted prospect.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk View Post
That's not exactly the situation and circumstances. If the Islanders really wanted to keep Gregs in the system, they could have.
My personal opinion is it is the other way around. It appears Gregoire had no interest in signing with the Isles, thus allowing him to become a free agent and play a role in where he plays.

Old
07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Quote:
My personal opinion is it is the other way around. It appears Gregoire had no interest in signing with the Isles, thus allowing him to become a free agent and play a role in where he plays.
Fair enough. I, among many other Isles fans, see it differently. There are of course Isles fans who are ticked off that the team didn't keep Gregoire around. He had at least a dozen if not more other prospects ahead of him on the Isles depth chart so he does have a better opportunity with a new team.

If NY thought this kid was special, they would have signed him before his fourth year to avoid this from happening. I highly doubt that management was unaware that Gregiore (Kessel too) could go this route.

Old
07-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk View Post
Fair enough. I, among many other Isles fans, see it differently. There are of course Isles fans who are ticked off that the team didn't keep Gregoire around. He had at least a dozen if not more other prospects ahead of him on the Isles depth chart so he does have a better opportunity with a new team.

If NY thought this kid was special, they would have signed him before his fourth year to avoid this from happening. I highly doubt that management was unaware that Gregiore (Kessel too) could go this route.
Right but that still doesn't answer the question on how you can make Gergoire sign the piece of the paper. Botta, said that even after he became a FA he had an offer sitting on the table from the Islanders. That means, almost for certain, that they offered a contract while he was exclusively theirs.

Regarding earlier years we just don't know how it played out. Maybe Gregoire wanted another year in college, maybe the Islanders wanted him to spend another year in college, maybe it was a mutual decision, who knows.

Good for him to get his. I can't hate on the kid too much, but it is frustrating to lose a bright spot to a loophole of sorts.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Right but that still doesn't answer the question on how you can make Gergoire sign the piece of the paper. Botta, said that even after he became a FA he had an offer sitting on the table from the Islanders. That means, almost for certain, that they offered a contract while he was exclusively theirs .
Exactly, that is my line of thinking. It just seems obvious to me that Gregoire, for whatever the reason, had no interest in being apart of the Isles organization.

Old
07-07-2011, 09:05 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Right but that still doesn't answer the question on how you can make Gergoire sign the piece of the paper. Botta, said that even after he became a FA he had an offer sitting on the table from the Islanders. That means, almost for certain, that they offered a contract while he was exclusively theirs.

Regarding earlier years we just don't know how it played out. Maybe Gregoire wanted another year in college, maybe the Islanders wanted him to spend another year in college, maybe it was a mutual decision, who knows.

Good for him to get his. I can't hate on the kid too much, but it is frustrating to lose a bright spot to a loophole of sorts.
I just read Botta's write-up and it does add some food for thought.

For the record, I don't blame Gregoire for not signing, or the Isles for not putting more effort into keeping him around. I don't think he's a terribly important piece in the grand scheme of things for either team. But it is a nice story for him to sign at home. It'll be interesting to see his development this season with the Jets or in the AHL.

Old
07-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Part of me wonders if Gregoire didn't sign because of the instability of the Islanders franchise, but 2 things make me doubt this theory:

1> If I was a lower pick I don't know if I would risk a career in the NHL by not signing with the team that drafted me.

2> The Jets aren't THE most stable place to go at this exact moment, simply due to the uncertainty of a rookie management/ coaching staff.

It would be nice if Jason would give a frank interview as to why he chose not to sign with the Isles.

07-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 8000
Quote:
The Islanders did want him, and they don't have him. I know the prevailing opinion on the Isles board is that Garth Snow dropped the ball here, but I haven't seen any indication that Gregoire badly wanted to sign with the Islanders at any point. He seemed content finishing his college career and opting to become a free agent.
I don't see how Garth dropped the ball. This part of the CBA was known, and they can't force him to sign any contract they offer him. Botta said the Jets offered him more then what the Isles offered so if they really wanted him, all they had to do was offer more which would take away the intrigue of free agency. But they obviously set a max amount they wanted to give him and passed on giving him more. This happens with all prospects but unlike CHL players, passing on a contract gives you UFA status instead of being rolled back in to the draft. Isles had similiar negotiations with Hamonic and Martin but they took the deal out of fear of being put back in to the draft so Isles didn't have leverage and didn't want to give him more money.
Quote:
Really? Two of the three college players to ever use this loophole are Islander picks. Sure the Isles have as many NCAA grads as any team, but they don't have Gregoire or Kessel anymore. That's pretty significant. I wouldn't feel too comfortable about Anders Lee either until the ink is dry on his contract. I would hate to see him leave the Islanders too.
This didn't stop them from taking Mayfield in the second round early on. They were able to bring in Ness, Donovan, Rhakashani and Okposo in the past. I'd hate to see Anders Lee be moved too but I think he is a better prospect than Kessel or Gregoire so if they aren't aggressive enough early on to get him to sign and he feels the need to go the FA route to get more money I'm sure they will offer him more due to him being a great prospect. Same with Brock Nelson.
Quote:
Make no mistake the Isles are very disappointed to lose him. He's certainly not as high on the Islanders prospect chart as he is here, but it always hurts to lose a solid prospect and get no compensation.
I bet they are slightly dissapointed but they set a price and didn't waiver from it. As you point out, he isn't particularly high on the prospect list so the biggest regret they probably feel is the lack of compensation.

Anyway, I don't have hate for anyone in this situation. These aren't major prospects (don't get me wrong, they are good but Isles have many great prospects in the fold) so losing them doesn't hurt too much and Garth wasn't going to hurt negotiations ahead with College prospects like Nelson and Lee by inflating Gregoire's and Kessel's contracts.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote