HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Police in Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Anksun

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives
This business of giving out speeding tickets only if you drive more than 20km/hr over the limit is dumb and misleading. The Quebec government should increase the maximums to 110km/hr on the highway and 80km/hr on the service road and if you go 5km or more over the limit you get the ticket. A leeway of 5km/hour is good common sense but a leeway of 20 on a limit of 100 is definitely too much.

I agree but there's actually something preventing this kind of idea.
-
Radars are not totally effective. Well I mean, there's a marge of 2-3 km/h between what the radar gets and what's your real speed. It's rare but possible so they have to takes this into account. Then there's the difference between the radar and your speed meter which is not your vault either. 2-3 km/h. That's a minimum of 5km/h of "wrongness".

Add to that the police will USUALLY never gives a ticket under 110km/h because right now, the driver wont even lost a misconduct point... you losse 1 point for going 110/119, 2 points between 120/129 and so on. It's not like only the police seems to think giving a ticket at 106km/h is pointless, The SYSTEM also think so.

All that to say, would you put the limit to 110. You would still have to accept up to "120" or so AND you would also have to change the actual system point in that you are starting to losses points at 111 and not 120.

Overall I agree with you. In fact, driving at 125 today is definitely way more secure for the driver and the others (on autoroute) than driving at 110 15 years ago... It's more than time they adjust the speed to the new bumpers, motors, brakes, and so on. (I'm only talking about autoroutes... no ways I would agree on any upgrades in speed in residencial areas, 50 is more than enough and sometimes too much for my liking.)

Old
07-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Fan

Thank the lord for the police to ticket these speeders and dangerous drivers.
This morons are a threat to society as they just disregard the safety of others and flaunt the law.
Going 90 in a residential area is inviting a fatality to an innocent citizen.
If you want to race and drive like the losers on the Fast and Furious join a track that lets you otherwise I hope the cops take your liscence away and throw your sorry ass in jail where you belong..

What the f do you think there are speed limits for ???????????????

Old
07-30-2004, 05:28 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Mooch, you are one lucky university student to be driving such an incredible machine.
Well its my Moms car, but i drive it more than anyone in my house. Plus me and AMG have become quite attached, so i call it "my" car......

I cant say im not lucky though, my dad just bought me a 2000 Acura Integra GS. Mint, but my dads a car dealer, so..............

Old
07-30-2004, 06:11 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
A 50 is usually residential isn't it ? The kind of place where kids often dart out to retrieve a basketball. If I lived on a suburban street and you were doing 90, I'd hope to be able to catch him or her and explain how our children do matter to us, though that concept may be foreign to the driver. ON the other hand, we all have real important places to rush off to.
Depends, I know some 50 limit roads where there's nothing close to the road (like wood on both sides, no houses on either side, etc).

Old
07-30-2004, 06:20 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
I agree but there's actually something preventing this kind of idea.
-
Radars are not totally effective. Well I mean, there's a marge of 2-3 km/h between what the radar gets and what's your real speed. It's rare but possible so they have to takes this into account. Then there's the difference between the radar and your speed meter which is not your vault either. 2-3 km/h. That's a minimum of 5km/h of "wrongness".

Add to that the police will USUALLY never gives a ticket under 110km/h because right now, the driver wont even lost a misconduct point... you losse 1 point for going 110/119, 2 points between 120/129 and so on. It's not like only the police seems to think giving a ticket at 106km/h is pointless, The SYSTEM also think so.

All that to say, would you put the limit to 110. You would still have to accept up to "120" or so AND you would also have to change the actual system point in that you are starting to losses points at 111 and not 120.

Overall I agree with you. In fact, driving at 125 today is definitely way more secure for the driver and the others (on autoroute) than driving at 110 15 years ago... It's more than time they adjust the speed to the new bumpers, motors, brakes, and so on. (I'm only talking about autoroutes... no ways I would agree on any upgrades in speed in residencial areas, 50 is more than enough and sometimes too much for my liking.)
Odometers have up to a 10% margin, so while yours show 100km/h, you could be doing 110km/h. After knowing my car well, it had a 7km/h difference at high speed (7km/h less on the odometer).

Besides, speed is a contributing factor to the risks of an accident, but it's far from being the only one, and you don't get tickets for most of the others...

My mother is afraid in cars, she's not comfortable at all. Yet, she thinks I'm a really good driver and she's calm when with me. She dislikes speed usually (and really complains about it), yet she never even notice when I "speed". Why? Simply because I pay attention to the road, I keep enough distance between my car and others and mostly I drive differently depending on the road conditions. If it's sunny and warm, I know my car will really adhere to the road and I will have great control over my car. Keeping good distance, I'll go a bit faster than usual. If it's rainy I'll go slower. If it's snowing, I'll stay on the clear parts of the road and will go below the speed limit most likely. Anyway, my rant is that I really doubt that speeding tickets really contributes to keep accidents down.

Old
07-30-2004, 06:21 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan
Thank the lord for the police to ticket these speeders and dangerous drivers.
This morons are a threat to society as they just disregard the safety of others and flaunt the law.
Going 90 in a residential area is inviting a fatality to an innocent citizen.
If you want to race and drive like the losers on the Fast and Furious join a track that lets you otherwise I hope the cops take your liscence away and throw your sorry ass in jail where you belong..

What the f do you think there are speed limits for ???????????????
Since you're asking, I think the speed limits are for idiots.

Old
07-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Anyway, my rant is that I really doubt that speeding tickets really contributes to keep accidents down.
Good point, now I have a feeling that who police are not different than Bandits.
I agree if you drive 90 in residential area is dangerous (depends on the environment actually). I feel it is unfair for me because I was driving on the service road in which the entrance of the highway is blocked. Every car drive at that speed.
It's purely robbery and there is nothing to do with safety on the road.

Old
07-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Habfansincebirth

Just out of curiosity, what is the quickest you've ever done Montreal-Toronto? I'll wait to see how others answer before I give my best time.

Old
08-02-2004, 07:18 AM
[nixloose] Christoph

Send a message via ICQ to [nixloose] Christoph Send a message via MSN to [nixloose] Christoph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfansincebirth
Just out of curiosity, what is the quickest you've ever done Montreal-Toronto? I'll wait to see how others answer before I give my best time.

what's you best time?

Old
08-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Habfansincebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by [nixloose] Christoph
what's you best time?
I did not want to post it before seeing what others replied because I get the feeling from the way people on this board react to everything that most posters are very uptight and I am not interrested in getting into a debate about civic responsibilty. My best time is 3 hrs 30 mins. Which comes out to an average speed of 180km/hr. That drive is soooo boring that I cannot drive the posted speed limit (or anywhere near it). It's not so much a conscious desision to speed, but more of a natural response to the open road. I hate being behind someone for any length of time, so I end up passing everyone. I also find that I am more concentrated on the road when I go fast because my senses are heightened.

Old
08-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfansincebirth
I did not want to post it before seeing what others replied because I get the feeling from the way people on this board react to everything that most posters are very uptight and I am not interrested in getting into a debate about civic responsibilty. My best time is 3 hrs 30 mins. Which comes out to an average speed of 180km/hr. That drive is soooo boring that I cannot drive the posted speed limit (or anywhere near it). It's not so much a conscious desision to speed, but more of a natural response to the open road. I hate being behind someone for any length of time, so I end up passing everyone. I also find that I am more concentrated on the road when I go fast because my senses are heightened.
you know Toronto is a big city. 3.5 hours.. from Montreal downtown to Toronto downtown or just the boundary of Toronto? That would make a difference.

Old
08-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Habfansincebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
you know Toronto is a big city. 3.5 hours.. from Montreal downtown to Toronto downtown or just the boundary of Toronto? That would make a difference.

600km in 3.5hrs. Don valley Pkwy and 401 till hwy 40 and hwy 15.

Closed Thread