HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal signs Erik Cole - 4 years/$4.5M per with NTC V2.0

Old
07-11-2011, 12:26 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Low: 0 G, 0 A, 0 PTS
high: 30 G, 40 A, 100 PTS
I don't expect that he'll be injured and I also don't expect the NHL makes goals worth 2 points next year.

I do however expect me to make a posting mistake now and then

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:35 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I don't expect that he'll be injured and I also don't expect the NHL makes goals worth 2 points next year.

I do however expect me to make a posting mistake now and then
Sadly I can't find it online but it was a Wade Belak reference where in an interview he said he would "score 30 goals, 40 assists, should be good for 100 points".

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:09 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Sadly I can't find it online but it was a Wade Belak reference where in an interview he said he would "score 30 goals, 40 assists, should be good for 100 points".
Never heard of it but funny none the less.

Old
07-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Andy

I just read an article on yahoo about Cole and Michael Ryder...

...why the hell does this argument about Cole not being able to play outside of Carolina keep coming up?

He played 63 games in edmonton(and 63 games outside of Carolina)...how can anyone say anything definitive about his play on a different team, when he hasn't had a large enough sample size to prove himself?

It's not like he's played for 5 different teams and only has success in Carolina. He's played 63 of his 620 career games on a different team...I would hardly call that proof or evidence that he not capable of producing on another team.

It's really starting to become an annoying argument. The logic used for Cole can be used for many players around the league who have played for only one team. Look I'll do it right now..."Can Leino produce outside of Philadelphia? he's never proven anything without the Flyers" see what i did there.

It's funny in leino's case because most hockey analysts think Leino was a good signing and are sure that he will continue to produce(when he hasn't proven anything), yet are hesitant with Cole who had one bad year in the nhl.

/Rant

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:32 PM
haburger

you are getting annoyed with habs fans that post on here?gee ,what a surprise.MOST people on here dont know jack about hockey.but without them this site wouldnt be here.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post

...why the hell does this argument about Cole not being able to play outside of Carolina keep coming up?

He played 63 games in edmonton(and 63 games outside of Carolina)...how can anyone say anything definitive about his play on a different team, when he hasn't had a large enough sample size to prove himself?

It's not like he's played for 5 different teams and only has success in Carolina. He's played 63 of his 620 career games on a different team...I would hardly call that proof or evidence that he not capable of producing on another team.

It's really starting to become an annoying argument. The logic used for Cole can be used for many players around the league who have played for only one team. Look I'll do it right now..."Can Leino produce outside of Philadelphia? he's never proven anything without the Flyers" see what i did there.

It's funny in leino's case because most hockey analysts think Leino was a good signing and are sure that he will continue to produce(when he hasn't proven anything), yet are hesitant with Cole who had one bad year in the nhl.

/Rant
I can't see how Cole will NOT be a positive influence and major contributor to this team. His style and pace of play will mesh seamlessly with this team, at least in my view.

Playing 20+ minutes with Plekanec and Cammalleri as well? I think Cole will be just fine.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:50 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Cole reminds me of a Steve Begin with better wheels and better hands. I don't know if he takes untimely penalties though, as it is something that seems to happen often with agressive players who try a little too much. He is the kind of player that the fans here will respect a lot.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
Cole reminds me of a Steve Begin with better wheels and better hands. I don't know if he takes untimely penalties though, as it is something that seems to happen often with agressive players who try a little too much. He is the kind of player that the fans here will respect a lot.
please no... you didn't say that, I never read that.

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:19 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Warrior View Post
I wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't bolded it

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:32 PM
PricePkPatch

Hey, it's still a valid point to raise.

Can someone tell me how disciplined Coe is regarding penalties? I like to be among the top PK of the league, but let's not run after the devil's tail, shall we?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:45 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Warrior View Post
Do the exercise : imagine Steve Begin skating fast to the net with the puck. Now imagine he skates faster and actually shots the puck behind the goalie. Steve begin becomes a 50 pts player But honestly, Erik Cole gets 50 pts a season because of his horse power and his ability to finish. It's an odd combination of assets to be a top6 in an NHL team. He is a D'agostini with grit (okay enough with the stupid comparisons).

Old
07-11-2011, 06:56 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Do the exercise : imagine Steve Begin skating fast to the net with the puck. Now imagine he skates faster and actually shots the puck behind the goalie. Steve begin becomes a 50 pts player But honestly, Erik Cole gets 50 pts a season because of his horse power and his ability to finish. It's an odd combination of assets to be a top6 in an NHL team. He is a D'agostini with grit (okay enough with the stupid comparisons).
That's actually the worst comparison I can think of. D'Agostini was fast, and that's basically the only thing I'll give him. He had a good shot, but seemingly refused to unleash it, he'd instead look to dish it off to BGL. He was a gigantic floater, and refused to do any work in the defensive zone. I was sick of him after like 5 games and was so happy when he left. I would literally yell at my TV when I saw #36 floating around the blue-line. Works me up just thinking about it

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:57 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post

Can someone tell me how disciplined Coe is regarding penalties? I like to be among the top PK of the league, but let's not run after the devil's tail, shall we?
i think I remember someone posting a stat where he's actually very disciplined. Something like his ratio to penalties drawn/penalties taken being very good.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
i think I remember someone posting a stat where he's actually very disciplined. Something like his ratio to penalties drawn/penalties taken being very good.
In that case, I can't say I hated Begin when he wasn't taking penalties or acting like a ****ing psychopathic punk. He could have been a well-rounded 3rd-4th liner, had he not a tumor replacing his brain.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:08 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I saw something along that line too. It was pointing out that Cole took about 1 penalty for every 2 he draws.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:21 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
That's actually the worst comparison I can think of. D'Agostini was fast, and that's basically the only thing I'll give him. He had a good shot, but seemingly refused to unleash it, he'd instead look to dish it off to BGL. He was a gigantic floater, and refused to do any work in the defensive zone. I was sick of him after like 5 games and was so happy when he left. I would literally yell at my TV when I saw #36 floating around the blue-line. Works me up just thinking about it
So he is a heart away from being the next Eric Cole

Old
07-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post

/Rant
Puck Daddy is a closet Habs hater.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Closet? He doesn't do a good job hiding it.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post

Well, he only took 17 minor penalties last year, which is less than 1 penalty per 2 games. I'd say that's fairly decent. Just to put things into perspective, AK and Gomez took 18 minors.

As for us not running after the devil, we were the team that went the most on the PK last season.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
I saw something along that line too. It was pointing out that Cole took about 1 penalty for every 2 he draws.
That's because he played on Carolina and the whole league thinks they're divers.

It's true, a lot of fan bases hate Carolina because they think they're all a bunch of divers.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:38 AM
neofury*

Cole will play well for us but just watch guys magically over the course of one season he won't be a good penalty ratio guy anymore. More like even or worse. I just have a feeling we always seem to take stupid penalties.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:06 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
That's because he played on Carolina and the whole league thinks they're divers.

It's true, a lot of fan bases hate Carolina because they think they're all a bunch of divers.
There is such a perception in fact, and I am one person who has questioned why Carolina gets so many PP while not being all that good a team won-loss wise, but after having watched a lot of the highlight reel goals Eric Cole has scored, I think I see why he has a great ratio.

Because Cole (and Staal and a few others) use their speed to attack the opponents, they do get hooked and held a lot. In fact, on several of the goals Cole has scored in the compilations, you see the referee's arm up to call a delayed penalty for hooking.

The nice thing is that he fights through the check without whitewashing it, still gives his team a chance to score, and he actually doesn't seem to just flop around a lot.

I like!!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:23 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Ovechkin reminds me of a Tom Pyatt with better skills and better hands...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:27 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
I always thought he was a closet Habs fan?

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:42 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Ovechkin reminds me of a Tom Pyatt with better skills and better hands...
Not for me.

Pyatt is a stronger and more interested backchecker.

If you had said D'agostini, then sure.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote