HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2011 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread III (vs. Portland @ BC PLACE, Sun Oct 2, 1:30p, TSN2)

Old
07-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Red

vCash: 500
2011 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread III (vs. Portland @ BC PLACE, Sun Oct 2, 1:30p, TSN2)

Schedule - Games This Month (Home games in blue.)
OpponentDateTimeTVResult
vs. Portland Timbers (Cascadia Cup)Oct 21:30pmTSN2 
vs. Real Salt Lake Oct 66:30pmSNET ONE 
vs. DC United Oct 127:00pmSNET ONE 
@ FC Dallas Oct 155:30pmSNET ONE 
vs. Colorado RapidsOct 224:00pmSNET ONE 

Whitecaps Roster (MLS Games only.)
PlayerAgePositionAppsStartsGoalsAssists
*Akloul, Mouloud28CB87  
Boxall, Michael22CB1616  
Brovsky, Jeb22MF1611 1
Camilo22FW242182
Cannon, Joe36GK1111  
Chiumiento, Davide26MF201518
Davies, Phillippe20MF00  
Demerit, Jay31CB1211  
Duckett, Bilal22DF42  
*Dunfield, Terry29MF121113
Harris, Atiba26FW5523
Hassli, Eric30FW1816101
Harvey, Jordan27DF55 3
*Harmse, Kevin27DF31  
Janicki, Greg27CB108  
Jarju, Mustapha25FW42  
Khalfan, Nizar23MF185 3
Knight, Wes24DF1210 1
Koffie, Gershon19MF20191 
Leathers, Jonathan25DF1818  
Morfaw, Alexandre23MF21  
Nanchoff, Michael22MF51  
Nolly, Jay29GK1414  
Rochat, Alain28DF20202 
Salgado, Omar17FW1351 
Salinas, Shea25MF1714 3
Sylvestre, Brian18GK00  
Tan, Long23FW41  
Teibert, Russell18MF115  
Thorrington, John31MF43  
Vagenas, Peter33MF108  
*Wagner, Blake23DF99  
-Through August 21st game.
*Player no longer on roster.

Links
Official Whitecaps Site
Whitecaps on Facebook
Whitecaps on Twitter
Southsiders Supporters Group
Major League Soccer
Canadian Soccer Supporters (Voyageurs)

Last edited by Red: 10-02-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
I hate dunfield with a passion.

Last edited by Lucbourdon: 07-06-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Bieksallent

Typical Dunfield:

1) Miss a penow.
2) Give the ball away cheaply at the edge of your box -> tough save for Cannon -> goal from corner.
3) Profit.

I take umbrage with people badmouthing Koffie. He's a destroying midfielder, his job is to win the ball and disrupt offensive plays from the opposition. He's 19 and does this extremely well at the MLS level. He needs a more creative player playing beside him, not Dunfield.

Edit: Salgado started off brightly but went quietly into the night aside from the volley attempt where he hurt himself. Get him more time so he can adapt because God knows we aren't winning (m)any games the rest of the season. He's one for the future and that's basically what we're about for another year or so, so get him going!

Last edited by Bieksallent: 07-06-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Red

I don't think I've ever felt so much secondhand embarrassment for a football player as I did for Dunfield's weak ass penalty tonight and then watching him peel way off on the ball into the box on the Columbus goal.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
There we go, Red ftw

Back to dunfailed sucking

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:27 PM
JBIZ14

Absolute *****. I had a more competitive strike from the dot when I played U-12 Metro...that's just piss poor. RAGE.

Trying to stay positive Salgado looked okay and if he can get a little more strength he will be a handful in the box.

Camilo is dope..you can hate the SA floppin and lack of vision when he has the ball but man he is exciting to watch.

I really like Shea and if he had any touch on his crosses he would be amazing...great watching him run at defenders.

It's going to be a tough year and all we really have left to play for is the Cascadia CUp...the FO needs to fix this before we take a storied NA club and turn it into a TFC type embarrassment.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Carl Carlson

If there was a game we should have won this was it. We had good possession we created several god chances and we set ourselves up perfectly with a pk with less than 20 mins to go. Very very frustrating seeing us lose all 3 points. Dunfield was just horrible. Misses a PK (brutal attempt) and is partly responsible for their goal, all in 25 mins work. Hopefully this is the last straw and the club will finally find us a DP midfielder.

Only solace from tonight is seeing TFC lose 5-0 to NY.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
Absolute *****. I had a more competitive strike from the dot when I played U-12 Metro...that's just piss poor. RAGE.

Trying to stay positive Salgado looked okay and if he can get a little more strength he will be a handful in the box.

Camilo is dope..you can hate the SA floppin and lack of vision when he has the ball but man he is exciting to watch.

I really like Shea and if he had any touch on his crosses he would be amazing...great watching him run at defenders.

It's going to be a tough year and all we really have left to play for is the Cascadia CUp...the FO needs to fix this before we take a storied NA club and turn it into a TFC type embarrassment.
Fortunately it's damn near impossible to be as impotent as a Toronto based sports franchise.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Red

Quote:

I like Salinas but I think he's best used as a late game super sub who can use his speed on the wing to just run past tired defenders. As it is, he never shoots or goes to the net, just cross after cross after cross that ultimately never causes any real danger. I think they'd be better off playing Teibert for the first 65-70 minutes as he's a more accurate crosser and then subbing him for Salinas late.

Old
07-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I like Salinas but I think he's best used as a late game super sub who can use his speed on the wing to just run past tired defenders. As it is, he never shoots or goes to the net, just cross after cross after cross that ultimately never causes any real danger. I think they'd be better off playing Teibert for the first 65-70 minutes as he's a more accurate crosser and then subbing him for Salinas late.
Yeah, Teibert has class crosses and needs to play way more. But, hey, maybe we can have DRAFT PARTIES for the next few years!?

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:51 PM
JBIZ14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Agree. 100%.

Old
07-07-2011, 12:13 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

I don't think Teibert was on the bench tonight. With Hassli, Chiumiento and him out there didn't really seem to be anyone of quality to sub in. It was like Dunfield, Nanchoff (who?), Brovsky, Duckett (briefly had me excited because I thought Atiba Harris was back ) and Long Tan, that was it. Not sure what's up with Teibert.

Anyways, I see enough has been said about Dunfield already so I won't add any more, just a shockingly bad 25 minutes from a guy who is supposed to be a leader on the team. Next to him probably the worst guy out there tonight was Wes Knight, looked totally out of his depth and had to be bailed out by Boxall on several occasions. Made me yearn for Blake Wagner (another guy who was mysteriously absent, not sure what was up with him). Bright spots... well, they controlled the play pretty well for a large part of the game, Camilo and Salgado seemed to play reasonably well together. Aside from that? Columbus didn't really seem to generate much offensively until that last goal, this game was really a missed opportunity.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:29 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Terry Dunfield is a disgrace.

The other 10 players on the pitch are a collective disgrace for allowing him to take the penalty. As soon as I saw him line up, I told the guy beside me he was going to hit a savable penalty.

Argh.

07-07-2011, 12:36 AM
JBIZ14

Also the goal should have been an offside. Arggg

Old
07-07-2011, 12:37 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Never seen a guy single-handedly cost his team a game like Dunfield since I watched Felipe Melo score an own goal and get himself a red card in Brazil vs Netherlands last year.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:41 AM
*Injektilo

I didn't watch the game, and I'm somewhat glad I didn't. After seeing the highlights, I feel gutted for Shea. He's not a dirty player, and it looked like the foul was an unfortunate accident rather than anything premeditated. Overall, this is the game that breaks a season. Dunfield's missed PK, and the goal in injury time just kills a team's spirit. The more I look at Dunfield, the more I wonder how he's managed to have a professional career. He doesn't have the physique, the technique or the vision to succeed at this level.

I think there's a real failure of coaching that is ongoing, both in tactics and in lineup selection. I don't have a problem with the dismissal of TT, but only if we had a clear improvement in coaching. I don't see that with Soehn. I don't know if he's on an interim basis for the rest of the season, but I hope that there's plans to go headhunting for a better coach.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:45 AM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

So many changes need to be made... at least the weather was nice again today

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:49 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Sad as it is to contemplate, I wonder if we really are missing Atiba Harris up front. He was a big part of the attack at the start of the season when the team looked quite promising. Things seemed to take a turn for the worse once he was knocked out with the leg injury.

Might just be a case of correlation and not causation, but I wonder. He didn't have great finish but he had a knack for getting into good scoring positions in the games I saw him play in. Heck, he only played five games but still has more points than anyone on the roster aside from Hassli, Camilo and Chiumiento.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:03 AM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Sad as it is to contemplate, I wonder if we really are missing Atiba Harris up front. He was a big part of the attack at the start of the season when the team looked quite promising. Things seemed to take a turn for the worse once he was knocked out with the leg injury.

Might just be a case of correlation and not causation, but I wonder. He didn't have great finish but he had a knack for getting into good scoring positions in the games I saw him play in. Heck, he only played five games but still has more points than anyone on the roster aside from Hassli, Camilo and Chiumiento.
It's tough to say. Harris would definitely be good to have, but I wouldn't look at his points total to indicate anything. Soccer is not hockey in terms of deriving a player's value by stats alone. Rochat, AFAIC, is the team's best player, but there's nothing stats-wise that would indicate that.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:24 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

was at the game, couple points from a marginal soccer fan.

dunfield is ****, he looked like a 12 year old in a 50 year olds body out there running around like a maniac.

salgado is gonna be very good he showed a lot of strength and ability to hold the ball under pressure.

leathers? i think it was #25 I also liked him

the team looked good i think we outplayed columbus especially in the 2nd half, even when down a man..the officiating was terrible and the outcome was unfortunate but this is obviously a young team thats gonna get very good soon

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:33 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Vancouver teams are cursed.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
damesh

I'm going to my first Whitecaps game on the 18th. Anything I should do to prepare?

I'm curious to see if Man City busts out any of their first team players.

damesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Bucky Katt

Quote:
It's going to be a tough year and all we really have left to play for is the Cascadia Cup.
Wow I totally forgot about that. With the draw in Seattle we still have a really good chance of winning that. Watch us draw Portland away and then blow it in the two home games. Since those games are the last at Empire and the first at BC Place, hopefully we can get some good results - but some confidence going into those games would be nice.

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:23 PM
VanMelaner14
Tan the Man

The Caps cannot catch any breaks these days

VanMelaner14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:06 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Caps just acquired a left back, Jordan Harvey, from Philadelphia in exchange for allocation money. Looks like he's been a regular starter for them this season so I imagine he'll be part of our starting four at the back. That might indicate that they expect Demerit to be out for a while and that Rochat is going to have to play at the centre.