HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread III (vs. Portland @ BC PLACE, Sun Oct 2, 1:30p, TSN2)

Old
07-12-2011, 12:01 PM
*Injektilo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathansPost View Post
It's much better to bring in a guy like this with something still to prove than some over the hill player just for the name.
I completely agree on this point, but I would rather have the Whitecaps go after a natural central midfielder that fits this description.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:25 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
I completely agree on this point, but I would rather have the Whitecaps go after a natural central midfielder that fits this description.
Anybody in mind? Unfortunately players aren't jumping on the chance to play here.

LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
*Injektilo

Not off-hand, but unlike hockey, the football world is huge - if the scouts look enough they will find someone.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Bucky Katt

I'll take a wait and see approach on this since I have never seen the guy play. It will be interesting to see what they do with their formation. I can't see them going to a 3-5-2 with the way the back line has played. Do they go with a 4-2-3-1 with Chiumiento, Camillo and Jarju playing behind Hassli while leaving Koffie and Dunfield? Vagenas? in a defending midfield role? Maybe use the RD and LD up the wings more? I haven't watched enough of the sport to be a real tactician, just throwing things out there.

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:08 PM
LongRoad

It's also quite possible the Caps will still be bringing in a CM.

LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
I dono how people can be upset about this, he is clearly a upgrade on salgado, and maybe even camillo also, we have to see how he plays.

I was hoping it was a mid or back also, trust me. But we can fix that in the off season next year. A media guy on twitter said, the best way for the Back to calm down, is to have the lead.

Let's see what kinda magic he will put up with hassli.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:20 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
Man, if the club continues to be run like this, I think they'll start losing a lot of the casual fans the first month of the season won over (if they haven't already).
*signing a DP player, however unknown* > *riding out the season*

in the eyes of 'casual fans'. NO one knew who Hassli was but he's just as prolific a scorer as bigger name DPs.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:24 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Not off-hand, but unlike hockey, the football world is huge - if the scouts look enough they will find someone.
Now was if the best "natural" central midfielder wasn't as good as Mustafa playing out of position?

Just playing devs-ad

Old
07-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
*signing a DP player, however unknown* > *riding out the season*

in the eyes of 'casual fans'. NO one knew who Hassli was but he's just as prolific a scorer as bigger name DPs.
Hassli had success with Zurich which is a hell of a lot more than doing okay in the Belgian second division. I guess we'll see how this turns out but, as Injektilo mentioned, the world of football is massive and I'm sure we could have gotten a young player with a better track record than this guy.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Now we need an experienced, mature Middle who can command the field.

I don't think the caps are done here.

Old
07-12-2011, 02:35 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Hassli had success with Zurich which is a hell of a lot more than doing okay in the Belgian second division. I guess we'll see how this turns out but, as Injektilo mentioned, the world of football is massive and I'm sure we could have gotten a young player with a better track record than this guy.
More players.. but also a hell of a lot of teams looking to add the exact same needs..

It's not like we're Barcelona FC, hell we're not even Wolverhampton. We're not in a top league by any stretch but MLS is still a decent place to play.... but we're DEAD last.

Quite ignorant to assume we could have just picked up someone better.

Old
07-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
More players.. but also a hell of a lot of teams looking to add the exact same needs..

It's not like we're Barcelona FC, hell we're not even Wolverhampton. We're not in a top league by any stretch but MLS is still a decent place to play.... but we're DEAD last.

Quite ignorant to assume we could have just picked up someone better.
It really isn't when you see the likes of Frings joining a horrible TFC. What is ignorant is to compare a player that's played in Ligue 1 and for one of the top Swiss sides to some dude that played second tier Belgian football.

Old
07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
The Vengabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vengabus View Post
I'm a veritable Whitecaps insider.

The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:24 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
It really isn't when you see the likes of Frings joining a horrible TFC. What is ignorant is to compare a player that's played in Ligue 1 and for one of the top Swiss sides to some dude that played second tier Belgian football.
It could be worse

Quote:
Ali Dia (born 20 August 1965 in Dakar) is a former professional Senegalese footballer who once played for the English FA Premier League club Southampton after falsely claiming to be a cousin of Liberian international George Weah.[1]

[...]

Dia was signed by Southampton manager Graeme Souness, after Souness received a phone call purporting to be from Liberian international and former FIFA World Player of the Year, George Weah. "Weah" told Souness that Dia was his cousin, had played for Paris Saint-Germain, and had played 13 times for his country. Actually, none of this was true, and the phone call was made by a fellow university student of Dia's to Souness, suggesting that he should give Dia a chance with the Saints.[2] Nonetheless, Souness was convinced, and signed Dia on a one-month contract.

Dia played just one game for Southampton, in the number 33 shirt, against Leeds United on 23 November 1996; he had originally been scheduled to play in a reserve friendly against Arsenal, but the match was cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch. In the match against Leeds, he came on as a substitute for Matthew Le Tissier after 32 minutes, but his performance was spectacularly below Premier League quality. He was later substituted (for Ken Monkou) after playing for 53 minutes;[3] Leeds won the match 20.

Le Tissier himself recalled the story in a television interview, telling that Dia spent only a weekend at the club. He first came down to train with the team on Friday morning and that he "didn't look very good" and Southampton players thought that they would "never see him again", but then, on the next day, Dia was surprisingly named to the subs' bench. His performance on the field after he came on to replace Le Tissier "was unbelievable. He ran around the pitch like Bambi on ice; it was very, very embarrassing to watch." Yet, according to the team's physiotherapist, on Sunday morning Dia "turned up for treatment of an injury", and "then he left, and we never saw him again ... nobody knows where he went."[4]
(saw this posted on another site ... hopefully our scouting was a little more thorough )

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Red

Quote:
He didn't do "okay" in the Belgian second division, he was top 3 in scoring (with a ton of assists on top of it) which indicates that he was pretty dominant at that level. He has spent some time in the first division as well when he was even younger, and put up "okay" numbers there.

Him being a DP doesn't mean he's making a ton of money - he could be a DP for the rest of this season and then not be one next year the way the cap works. I'm not familiar with him but I don't think it's a bad signing AS LONG AS they're still looking to sign another midfielder (doesn't have to be a DP). I think smaller signings like this of younger players are more important to the long run health of the franchise than signing 32+ DPs who just want a nice retirement (with obvious exceptions who have indeed been successful).

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Carl Carlson

Interesting signing by the team. I was pretty surprised it wasn't a true proven CM but I'm not going to pass judgement until I see Jarju play. The fact he has been capped by the Gambian senior natl team and was the U17 captain is a good indicator he has quality. I'm really hoping this transfer works out as we'd have some great attacking options for the next few years with Hassli, Salgado and Jarju.

Rumours are abound that we are still looking to sign someone so maybe a CM is on the menu.

If Demerit stays healthy, we get a solid CM and the Jarju signing works out I can see us doing damage in the 2nd half.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Carl Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
I dono how people can be upset about this, he is clearly a upgrade on salgado, and maybe even camillo also, we have to see how he plays.

I was hoping it was a mid or back also, trust me. But we can fix that in the off season next year. A media guy on twitter said, the best way for the Back to calm down, is to have the lead.

Let's see what kinda magic he will put up with hassli.
If he and Hassli can get on the same page we could have one of the best strike tandems in MLS.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
just realized the whitecaps are in fifa 11 lol

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
just realized the whitecaps are in fifa 11 lol
are you sure? they aint in mine wtf

Old
07-12-2011, 07:43 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
You can download it. They have the EA ads up all the time at Whitecaps games.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:48 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Now was if the best "natural" central midfielder wasn't as good as Mustafa playing out of position?

Just playing devs-ad
Still a waste of resources. If he's that good as a MF, which remains to be seen, then he's being wasted there when he could play so much better up front.

And no we're not Barca, but we're not talking about trying to sign Fabregas here. If we can sign players from the top Swiss league, we could find better DPs than someone operating in the 2nd tier Belgian league.

I'm really not criticizing the idea of signing a player with that kind of past, by the way. I understand where the Whitecaps stand in the grand realm of world soccer. I'm criticizing the fact that he's a DP and that he doesn't fill our biggest void.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Bieksallent

Also, Graeme Souness, the manager not the player, is a massive idiot.

I hope Jarju works out but I have so little faith in Soehn right now, maybe it's best we don't make any signings until he's replaced.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
Quote:
you've to get the updated roster... FML i need an online code

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Illmatic Stoic

I hate online codes, had to buy one a while back, its a rip-off! The Whitecaps are in "Rest of the World" area because they were updated later into the game and thus not placed into MLS.

Illmatic Stoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Bucky Katt

Quote:
I'm criticizing the fact that he's a DP and that he doesn't fill our biggest void.
At this point, is it more important to fill a void or to bring in as much talent as possible and fill in the voids later? Besides, we have a lot of voids.

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote