HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WJC summer camps

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2004, 10:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
WJC summer camps

Jaroslav Halak is currently at the summer evaluation camp for Team Slovakia, it ends this weekend. He should return as the starter I would guess. Here's the roster, http://hokej.point.sk/reprezentacia/...p?clanok=30478

Christopher Heino-Lindberg will be in the summer evaluation camp for Team Sweden on August 9th to the 14th, where Team Sweden will play Team Finland, and two teams from the USA. Lindberg will have to beat out a younger goalie in Akerlund, but it would be great to see two of our three recent goalie draft picks at the wjc's. Here's a link to the camp, http://www.usahockey.com/usa_hockey/...al_camp_ann///

Kyle Chipchura will be at the Team Canada summer evaluation camp which is also coming up shortly. It's going to be tough for him to make the team, but a good showing at camp and a good start to the season could get him on the team, but a lot also depends on the NHL lockout. Locke and Michaud are the last 18 year olds to be at camp for Team Canada, with Ferland and Milroy being invited in their final year. (sadly neither Locke or Michaud were invited as 19 year olds)

I have no idea what Team Russia will have their camp, I would hope to see Yemelin at least at camp. With Vorobiev, Lyamin, Kosmatchev, Ezhov (I would assume that will be there top 4) and Belov, Anikeenko, Mikhaylishin, Amakhin, Karetin fighting for the remain spots, I would think that Yemelin has a chance to make the team as a 7th or 8th D, although I'm just guessing.

As for Team Belarus, Grabovski is now 20, so he won't be going, and Kostitsyn it will depend on what the Habs do with him and if signed if they will let him go.

So we could have up to five prospects at the wjc's if all goes well, although I'm still hoping Lapierre can get a look with a great start to the season, to add some grit/speed to Team Canada if there's no lockout.

Old
07-29-2004, 11:55 PM
db23

The summer camp, for the Canadian team at least, is probably not that critical in the naming of the final team. But anyone not invited would have to play spectacularly through the season to get an invite to the final camp. Michaud was invited to the summer camp in his last year of eligibility but had a crappy season and didn't make the final camp. Not sure about Locke, but I think it may have been the same. But Hockey Canada seems to be making a concerted effort lately to create a team of players who have international experience together previously like the U.S. team, rather than just an "All Star" junior team. That should help Chipchura's chances. Plus the fact that he is a good defensive centre and a good faceoff performer. Most of the forwards are used to being the offensive catalysts.

Yemelin should have a good chance, Russia doesn't seem to have a great group of defensemen at this age level.

Chipchura is also one of just 3 1986 born forwards. Crosby is an '87, but he might not be available a year from now. So, out of Chipchura, Wolski and Bolland they would probably want to keep at least one or two to have some continuity for next year's team.

Last edited by db23: 07-30-2004 at 12:02 AM.
Old
07-30-2004, 10:15 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I like Russia's top 4. Ezhov is solid, Lyamin I've never seen but he's gotten a lot of hype for his skills, Kosmatchev and Vorobiev all spent time in the RSL this past season. Anikeenko is likely a top 15 pick in '05, Belov I liked what I saw from him at the remax games. Yemelin will have his work cut out for him to crack the top 6 I would guess. But having never seen him play, I can't say if he will make the team or not, if so that's impressive. And if they take 8 defensemen, hopefully he is one of the 8.

Closed Thread