Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Board work?

10-23-2015, 07:40 AM
vCash: 500
Board work?

As an adult in a non-check league (pushing/leaning,rub-outs, and pins are permitted, just not hits), I find myself occasionally at a loss at how to approach a situation along the boards. I am seeking:

1. General references (youtube?) on good advice (besides keeping your head up).
2. Specifically, how to go into the corner as a defenseman (first in) for the puck and protect yourself in case someone is not in control and crashes into you or someone purposely lines you up (there is always "that guy").

I will also check with my coach at practice this week.

Thanks in advance.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
10-23-2015, 08:08 AM
So this is the general advice for actual contact, but: if you're going to get tagged/hit/whatever, be right up against the boards, not a foot or two away. When you're against the boards, the boards absorb a lot of the impact. You also stay on your feet, even if you do get a bit winded or the guy really runs into you. When you're a bit further away, though, you basically get two impacts -- the guy hitting you, and you hitting the boards.

Obviously, you should also go in at an angle. And you should give a look around before doing so, not as you're doing so, so that you can know which angle/direction to go and you generally know what your options are (or at least what to look for). At the higher levels you have way less time to make those decisions, but they're also easier decisions because your teammates are actually in the right place.

The net is a good tool to keep guys away from you, as they don't know which side you'll come out on. But going around the net, especially if it's obvious what you're doing, is one place you can get really steamrolled just as you come around, if your head isn't up. I guess that's, again, more for contact, but if you have idiot "that guys" in your league, it might be relevant.

Also, related to the net: if the play's in your end, don't ever do this (cuz you'll be going up the middle when it's not absolutely 100% safe), but if there's only one forechecker, I like to make it look like I'm going around the net, and if that single forechecker commits to cut me off on the far side, I just cut quickly without going around the net, and go up the short side before he has a chance to compensate. Prevents that "getting steamrolled as you come around the net" thing.

RefinedRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
10-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Welcome to my house!
I get a lot of my victims coming around behind the net or just after. It might be non checking, but it's not non-contact, which no one should forget.

Line them up like your gonna steam roll them and when they see you out the corner of their eye, they'll forget about the puck, look to bail out or give a hurried bad pass.

There is less space skating behind, so I'll get in their road turn the shoulder to them and stop. They end of running into me while I'm more or less stationary. No call.

The guys that don't have wheels will also try and cut back inside you rather than go to the outside when coming our from behind or around the net and you're up forechecking. If you can anticipate correctly and turn inside them just prior then they end up turning right into you.

You don't have to get out of anyone's way.

As for the boards, gotta be careful going shoulder to shoulder, but if they're skating one on one against you and try to beat you on the outside when there just isn't the room to do it, in my experience, most refs will realise that it was a dumb move on the part of the puck carrier and they should have expected a little something, as long as you don't try and level anyone.

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
10-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Your best bet is staying either in contact with the boards or being <2' away, if you're protecting the puck. Don't stand 3'+ away with your head towards the boards & back to the other players. Board play (puck battles) is all about playing the puck close to your body + protecting it & yourself. Use you're stick, feet, kick the opponents stick, whatever.

It's a fairly advanced skill in hockey. Probably won't be much online.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
10-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Same old Caps
vCash: 840
Get close to the boards with your hip and shoulder ready for a potential impact and with a wide stance. If you find yourself pinned to the boards, push with your hands against the boards to free yourself.

I also have a neat little trick which I learned from Datsyuk. I put the blade of my stick against the boards to use it as a support. It prevents me from getting pushed. Be careful though, if someone pushes too hard you could spear yourself in the gut.

Eazy for Kuzy is online now   Reply With Quote