HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part I)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2012, 11:54 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Any thoughts on how we exploit this is a deep draft?

Very tasty so far, but what do we think looks like our top 3?

Also given where we are on 1/20/12, any thoughts as to trade up after the season?
From what I have read and heard from hockey people, the quality of the draft seems to be somewhat less than was promised a year or two ago. The first round, especially the top 20 is still terrific but apparently a lot of players beyond that have not yet developed as hoped. Hmmmm.....

Old
01-31-2012, 12:16 AM
Pizza

Two things I take away from recent drafts:

Some one almost always falls.

The Rangers make at least one very solid pick.

Conclusion: Clark and Gorton will make this a good draft for us. Somewhere they're working on it right now while we're all snug in our beds.

Old
01-31-2012, 07:42 AM
eco's bones

To be honest I think the Rangers 1st round pick is going to be in play at the trade deadline. I don't see much value to be had from WW or EC or MZA. Wolski has talent but he's a floater--he's hardly played this year--has one year left as an RFA but to qualify him a team would have to give him more than $4 mil per ($3.8 mil x 10%). That's not going to happen.

If the Rangers want to upgrade with a top 6 forward or bring in a quality defenseman the most likely asset is that first round pick.

Old
01-31-2012, 08:56 AM
bourgeoisie
Je suis Charlie

Here's a couple brief/rough reports from thescoutingreport.org

Pontus Aberg

Quote:
While Forsberg and Collberg may be considered to be having “underwhelming” seasons thus far, Aberg has proven to be a very pleasant surprise when it comes to Swedish prospects. Skating in the Elitserien as a rookie, Aberg has put himself into contention as a Rookie-of-the-Year candidate with some strong offensive results this season. Aberg has always been regarded as a great two-way player and someone who brings it every shift with a high effort-level, but his offensive emergence has been the major catalyst behind his rising in the draft rankings.
Caught my eye because he has the same birthday as me, had a great showing at the Ivan Hlinka tournament last year. He could possibly be on the board at the time we pick. Has 14 points in 34 games played, nothing to sneeze at as an 18 year old in the SEL. Right handed shot.

Right handed Center Colton Sissons will also be scrutinized by Ranger Scouts, being McColgan's teammate in Kelowna.

Quote:
With good size and a lethal shot, Sissons undoubtedly projects on the high end as a top-6 winger in the NHL. His game is not without question marks, though – as he currently has a team-worst -15 rating. Sissons could also benefit from using his teammates better as evidenced by his low assist totals, however has certainly shown a knack for being a hard worker on the ice. Sissons was recently named captain of his team for the upcoming CHL top prospects game, which proves his ability to lead by example on the ice. Look for Sissons to continue to put up impressive goal scoring numbers, while also continuing to improve his all-around game leading up to the draft.
It will be hard to find Offensive talent like that in the later first rounds. Doesn't fit the archetype that Gordie and co usually go after, but if he shows them he can play, who knows.

And here is an intriguing one. Anton Slepyshev, LW for Metallurg of the KHL.
Quote:
There is obviously some risk to taking Slepyshev based on the fact that he’s already contributing in the KHL and might not be in any hurry to cross the pond, but the upside is well worth that risk ala Evgeni Kuznetsov. Slepyshev is a big winger who oozes offensive skill with an array of slick puckhandling skills and the ability to dangle in and out of traffic. He’s already showing he can compete with men in the second best league in the world and as he continues to learn how to use his size and strength, he’ll be a very dangerous forward. We’re working with some limited viewing so don’t be surprised to see him rise between now and our finals.
The Rangers don't have the same concerns as a lot of smaller market teams when it comes to drafting out of the KHL... He is worth looking into.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/201...-rankings-130/

Last edited by bourgeoisie: 01-31-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old
01-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Big story for me this year is where Tanner Pearson is going to go. Talk about dominating.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Is it strange that I really want a guy with a cool Russian name?

Old
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Is it strange that I really want a guy with a cool Russian name?
Does Datsyuk have a little brother we can draft? Please?

Old
01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

The Rangers would be far better served holding on to their first round pick, unless they can use it to acquire a Ryan-level player, and attempting to trade up in the first round, particularly if a top offensive talent begins to slip.

This is really the year to do something like that. The draft is so strong in the first 15-20 picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Hockey View Post
The Rangers don't have the same concerns as a lot of smaller market teams when it comes to drafting out of the KHL... He is worth looking into.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Don't you know that when the Rangers drafted Cherepanov, it had nothing to do with that and everything to do with Glen Sather's brilliance and acumen as a front office executive?

Old
01-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Does Datsyuk have a little brother we can draft? Please?
Sergei Fedorov does. I heard Fedor Fedorov was pretty good.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:59 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Sergei Fedorov does. I heard Fedor Fedorov was pretty good.

Let's grab Marcel Hossa, too. He is tearing up the KHL!

Old
01-31-2012, 01:00 PM
McRanger

Quote:

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/201...-rankings-130/
They still have to sign him to an ELC, so he will be making a lot less money over here no matter who drafts him.

Not sure why people still believe NY has some sort of magical draw over every player, especially some of these foreign farm town kids.

That's where the work comes in, figuring out who might not come over. I would think in light of the Lokomotiv place crash you would see almost everyone willing to hop the pond but you never know.

Its a lot easier today than 5 years ago when the KHL looked like it might start seriously stealing talent.

Old
01-31-2012, 03:54 PM
bourgeoisie
Je suis Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
They still have to sign him to an ELC, so he will be making a lot less money over here no matter who drafts him.

Not sure why people still believe NY has some sort of magical draw over every player, especially some of these foreign farm town kids.
It isn't so much that NY has a magical pull over these players, it's more that teams like Columbus and Florida wouldn't appeal to these players enough for them to cross the pond to pay their due diligence. Think about it, if you had the choice to leave your home to play in the NHL, wouldn't you have more incentive to come to an Original six team with no ownership/financial issues as opposed to a team that is having trouble drawing a crowd and more importantly paying their players? These are concerns that a lot of teams picking under us have. It can make a solid player drop, whether you agree with the logic or not.

Old
01-31-2012, 07:44 PM
McRanger

Quote:
It isn't so much that NY has a magical pull over these players, it's more that teams like Columbus and Florida wouldn't appeal to these players enough for them to cross the pond to pay their due diligence. Think about it, if you had the choice to leave your home to play in the NHL, wouldn't you have more incentive to come to an Original six team with no ownership/financial issues as opposed to a team that is having trouble drawing a crowd and more importantly paying their players? These are concerns that a lot of teams picking under us have. It can make a solid player drop, whether you agree with the logic or not.
I doubt team "finances" have anything to do with it. A Russian player drafted by us or by any other team is going to have a low ELC. If anything they would make more money on a crappier team because they would pretty much be guaranteed a spot without having to see any AHL time, which most non-superstars would with the Rangers.

And if a Russian player is even remotely concerned about stability then any NHL team is going to look attractive. Bankruptcy in the NHL means new owners and MAYBE relocation. It doesn't mean not getting paid.

The bottom line is if a Russian wants to play in the NHL he would come over no matter who drafts him. A lot of the players are already in NA. If he wants to stay home or wants to make more money as a teenager then that is what he is going to do, because no NHL team not matter what their finances are going to be able to pay him much. Those things come before other factors like having a guaranteed spot and playing with countrymen. Everything else comes after that.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:29 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

We have Brooklyn in NYC which has a nice Russian community in the Brighton Beach Area. Arty used to go visit there when he was in Hartford, and Zubov used to hang out there when he was here. That's a huge factor.

As far as draft picks this year; Rangers will most likely draft somewhere between 19 and dare I say 30 and although no one knows what the two Gs (Gordie and Gorton) have in mind, going by previous drafts I see guys like Tom Wilson, Nicolas Kerdiles, Stefan Matteau (more to do with he's from the USNTDP than being the son of Stephane), and Slater Koekoek being targets. Tough guys who have good character.

You never know. I don't think they'd go after Malcolm Subban but they are a little thin at goalie. I'm not sold on any of these guys like Stacjer, Missian, etc.

Old
02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

An NHL.com "expert" -(Kimelman) thinks we will use our first round pick this year on a goaltender.

Can't make this stuff up.

Besides, i'f we're taking a goaltender, should definitely be Subban.

02-06-2012, 05:39 PM
NYR Viper

I don't think they will use a 1st rounder, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers took a goalie in this years draft. Johnson and Talbot are getting older, Missaen and Stajcer look to be nothing special.

Old
02-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Simple answer. Draft/Sign Andy Iles.

Old
02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Allaire seems to prefer Monsters to mites.

One undersized NCAA guy who is actually more gifted than Iles who will be available this year is Shawn Hunwick. Very underrated goaltender who almost won the title last year.

Old
02-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Allaire seems to prefer Monsters to mites.

One undersized NCAA guy who is actually more gifted than Iles who will be available this year is Shawn Hunwick. Very underrated goaltender who almost won the title last year.
He's on Michigan right? Remember hearing his name in Hagelin highlights.

Old
02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
He's on Michigan right? Remember hearing his name in Hagelin highlights.
Correct. Hunwick has the quicker legs and side to side movement, which is important for his size.

Andy is better at challenging the shooter to accommodate for his stature, and does not get caught out of position often.

Iles reminds me a bit of Arturs Irbe. Hunwick reminds me of a smaller Marc Andre Fleury.

Old
02-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Correct. Hunwick has the quicker legs and side to side movement, which is important for his size.

Andy is better at challenging the shooter to accommodate for his stature, and does not get caught out of position often.

Iles reminds me a bit of Arturs Irbe. Hunwick reminds me of a smaller Marc Andre Fleury.
I have no clue who Arturs Irbe is, but I like the sound of a Fleury

Old
02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Weak, man. Weak.

Old
02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
God I feel old all of a sudden

Old
02-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Weak, man. Weak.

Anyone can say "Weak, man. Weak." and pluck a video off of YouTube.

Old
02-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
God I feel old all of a sudden
I'm with ya... His pads were also pretty gross

Closed Thread