HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part I)

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's a toss-up between the two, IMO.

I wouldn't mind trading down for more picks and picking up a goalie in the 2nd, also.
Drafting goalies is a bad idea at this point. Every year there are a good crop of very talented 20-21-22 year-olds coming out of the NCAA or European leagues that can be gotten for free.

03-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Trading down isn't a bad option. Just depends on how far. 5-6 spots to pick up an extra 2nd would be ideal, IMO.

I just think with the state of our team and our pipeline, we're in a good position to pick up a kid with some real boom potential.
If we lose in the ECF and get the 28th pick, I wouldn't mind trading down to around 40th and pick up a 2nd and 3rd.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Drafting goalies is a bad idea at this point. Every year there are a good crop of very talented 20-21-22 year-olds coming out of the NCAA or European leagues that can be gotten for free.
If we can pick up an extra 2nd round pick, I think it'd be worth it. Grab Subban in the early 2nd.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
If we can pick up an extra 2nd round pick, I think it'd be worth it. Grab Subban in the early 2nd.
If Subban is still there in the early 2nd? Its pretty hard to say no to. But there are some really good looking prospects in the 2nd round territory like Tim Bozon and Phillipe Giuseppe that may be available there.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:51 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I can see the point in trading down, but I'd rather see this team trade up, especially if a very talented offensive player drops a bit. We have the organizational depth to make it happen. It's been 7 years since the team traded up in the first round. I think it's time to do it again.

Old
03-07-2012, 04:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
I enlisted the help of a Western Conference scout to help talk a bit about the 2012 NHL Draft class as a whole, and give some reports on some American prospects he’s seen so far this year.

Last year, around this time, it looked as though the 2012 Draft was going to be long on high-end talent, with great depth. This year, it’s becoming more clear that there is a fair amount of that high-end talent, but a shallow player pool.

The scout agreed saying, “After the first 25 players, there’s a bit of a drop. Once you get past 40 or 50, there’s a huge drop.”

That significant drop off after the first 40-50 players means that there will be some tough decisions from the second round on.

“I think it is going to be hard to find value late,” said the scout. “There are going to be kids that you take educated guesses on that you could go either way. The history of these kids is going to be huge.”
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...u-s-prospects/

The NHL scout also discussed Matteau and Kerdiles. He sees Matteau going between #15-#25. Kerdiles is a late 1st round pick talent.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:03 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Boo Nieves will play in the USHL this season

Quote:
Nieves closed out his high school season at the Kent School in Connecticut last weekend with a semifinal-round loss to St. Sebastian's School (Mass.) in the New England Prep School Ice Hockey Association large-schools tournament.

Nieves made the flight to Indiana on Thursday morning.

Wallack expects Nieves to be in the lineup when his team plays host to the Youngstown Phantoms on Friday in a critical United States Hockey League showdown. The Ice will then battle the Green Bay Gamblers on Saturday.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=7268

Old
03-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...u-s-prospects/

The NHL scout also discussed Matteau and Kerdiles. He sees Matteau going between #15-#25. Kerdiles is a late 1st round pick talent.
Matteau going that high would surprise me. He has no real shot at being a top 6 player. Maybe a 5-10% chance.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I wouldn't mind trading up either. Besides Erixon, we really have no guys who are impact prospects, unless CT and MSC can somehow go against the grain and become offensive dynamos in the NHL. I'd rather forego depth for one really, really bright piece.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:26 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I go one more draft of skill, skill skill at both positions. Namely, stickhandling and shooting. I might even be inclined to try and grab an offensive defenseman with a 3rd or 4th rounder. Just a guy with a big shot who doesnt screw around.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:08 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I go one more draft of skill, skill skill at both positions. Namely, stickhandling and shooting. I might even be inclined to try and grab an offensive defenseman with a 3rd or 4th rounder. Just a guy with a big shot who doesnt screw around.
How often are guys like that available in the 3rd or 4th rounds?

RANGERS =
Old
03-08-2012, 03:31 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
How often are guys like that available in the 3rd or 4th rounds?
Every year.

Edler was a 3rd rounder. Wideman was an 8th rounder. Chara was a 3rd Rounder. Letang was a 3rd rounder. Yandle was a 4th rounder. Bieksa was a 5th rounder.Buff was an 8th rounder.

I just named some of the best offensive d-men in the game.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:07 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Yakupov hit with a headshot tonight by an Isles prospect...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...with-head-shot

Quote:
"I thought it was blatantly dirty' Beaulieu said, according to the Canadian Press. "Nail took alot of stitches to the face, it's all marked up. Halmo didn't hit anything else, but his head. We've got to take these hits out of out game and protect our kids."

Old
03-11-2012, 12:20 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Yakupov hit with a headshot tonight by an Isles prospect...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...with-head-shot

Yakupov skated cross ice with his head down and kinda fell into the opposing player. I didnt see much wrong with the hit. Hopefully it teaches Yakupov to keep his head up.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

How is Yakupov?

Old
03-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Looks like Dalton Thrower (D - Saskatoon) is going to miss the remainder of the season with an upper body injury. Hopefully that'll keep him from jumping too far up the board and we can snag him late in the first, or early 2nd if we trade down. Great blend of skating, offense, and physicality on the blue line. Kronwall-esque.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

What do people think of Andrei Makarov? He impressed me in the WJC final, where's he projected to go?

Old
03-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
What do people think of Andrei Makarov? He impressed me in the WJC final, where's he projected to go?
No me gusta los Russians.

Besides guys like Anisimov and Datsyuk, most of them are lazy, selfish pieces of ****. Not saying it applies to all of them, but the damage has been done. I don't like Russians. (Hockey players, that is)

Old
03-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post

Besides guys like Anisimov and Datsyuk, most of them are lazy, selfish pieces of ****. Not saying it applies to all of them, but the damage has been done. I don't like Russians. (Hockey players, that is)
With forwards...maybe. But how can this apply to goalies? They're already more isolated from the other players on the team as it is. I mean, a goalie can maybe refuse to work with the goalie coach, but that would only classify as lazy, not selfish.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
With forwards...maybe. But how can this apply to goalies? They're already more isolated from the other players on the team as it is. I mean, a goalie can maybe refuse to work with the goalie coach, but that would only classify as lazy, not selfish.
I look at Bryzgalov and classify all Russian goalies as him

Old
03-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:

Makes me cringe coming from an "Aspiring Sports Journalist"

Old
03-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

I dont think AO is lazy...maybe you could make the argument he's selfish, but not lazy. I dont think Kovalchuk is lazy either, guy works really hard out there.

I think all the anti-russian sentiments are just ppl jumping on a popular bandwagon.

I dont care where a player is from, as long as our scouts like em, ill believe in em.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Makes me cringe coming from an "Aspiring Sports Journalist"
If a player is good, a player is good. I can have my own opinion. If I am writing an article, I'm obviously not gonna write that ****, but this is an online forum where I can write what I like.

Just don't like Russian players, just like Brooksie hates Torts.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

Quote:

Makarov plays in the WHL, low risk of Russian factor

Old
03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Makarov plays in the WHL, low risk of Russian factor
That is true.

Closed Thread