HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part I)

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 01:45 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
There's no doubt that there's one name on everyone's tongue right now. But strangely enough, the player I really like in this draft is Ryan Murray. Obviously we are not getting him, but I just live his game.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:24 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
One question?

Should we explore trading down our first rounder (#28) to get two second rounded picks instead?

We choose at #59 in the second round.
Possible partners would be:

#31 + #45. Columbus BJs
#33 + #51 Montreal Canadiens
#37 + #40 + #50 Tampa Bay Lightening
#38 + #47 Carolina Hurricanes
#42 + #44 Buffalo Sabres

Stockpiling 3 picks instead of two might be the Better option between picks numbers 28 to 59 - at least I would think so. Then again, need to find a partner that bites the bait...

Old
05-31-2012, 06:27 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Someone posted draft guides on the Prospects board.

Which is the best one? Future Considerations, ISS, etc.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
where will Tom Wilson go? any chance the Rangers nab him in the 2ed round...
It depends on if a team really likes him. At the very least, he's a fearsome fighter and bottom-six player in the NHL. His skating is good enough. However, if a team feels like he has top-six potential, which I personally think he does, I could see him going in the early 20's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Two defensemen who I think could be in play at 30 that not many have mentioned:

Dalton Thrower, D, Saskatoon (WHL)
Slater Koekkoek (pronounced Koo-Koo), D, Peterborough (OHL)

These two guys are cut from the Black and Blueshirt mold.

I'm not convinced that we take a forward at 30. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they did, but I don't think it's a guarantee. It'll be BPA, and I think that might be a defenseman. I think there's a better chance we can get a top 4 D than a top 6 F at 30.

I do not expect Kerdiles to get past Boston at 24.
I'd love for them to get Thrower. The guy is seriously underrated. He's a bit undersized, but he plays like he's 8ft tall and has no quit in his game. Plays the game like Niklas Kronwall. He's another guy that I think will be gone before we step up to the podium.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
From what I've read, Kerdiles doesn't sound like a guy I'd want us to take in the first round but of course it depends on what's available. Sounds like a 2nd round player. Maybe the two draft guides I have are the only two that make him sound unappealing.

And to add a guy I like from reading the guides who looks like he might realistically be available is Sissons. Sounds like he can already play our game.

Last edited by McDonagh: 05-31-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 05:22 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
One question?

Should we explore trading down our first rounder (#28) to get two second rounded picks instead?

We choose at #59 in the second round.
Possible partners would be:

#31 + #45. Columbus BJs
#33 + #51 Montreal Canadiens
#37 + #40 + #50 Tampa Bay Lightening
#38 + #47 Carolina Hurricanes
#42 + #44 Buffalo Sabres

Stockpiling 3 picks instead of two might be the Better option between picks numbers 28 to 59 - at least I would think so. Then again, need to find a partner that bites the bait...
Oh, I think they should absolutely look into stockpiling a couple extra picks.

I feel in a draft as wide-open as this one, a guy taken in the the third round will likely be on a similar level as a guy taken in the late first.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Huh?

Do you know how many prospects teams interview at the combine?

It's an easy opportunity to do your due diligence on players, with so many in the same setting.

Just because they interview a player at the combine doesn't mean they believe he is 1st round material or they would draft him if he were available.

There's zero correlation between a combine interview and what round the team projects for said player.
They interview the players they are interested in.

There are hundreds of draft eligible players, you think they interview them all?

They're interested in Kerdiles. I've been saying since last June they will be interested. They know him from their time scouting Miller.

Old
05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Any one want to trade draft guides again this year? Shoot me a PM. Got my first one today.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:50 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Would love for the Rangers to take Martin Frk with their selection. When I saw the kid play at the WJC at 17, I thought he would be a very good NHL player. He has size, a good shot, and the ability to shoot the puck from the point on the PP.

He has slipped due to a concussion this season, but I would love to see them take him late round one or trade down, get some picks, hope he slips and makes it to the early 2nd, grab an extra pick and get him then.

I think Detroit will be all over this guy. He's the type of player they go after, someone they can mold in the lower levels for a while and bring up when ready. He will not be a player ready at the age of 20, but a longer term project. With the depth they have in the prospect pool right now, he'd be a good guy to have to work with.

Colton Sissions will be another guy that'd I'd like to see this team get. He's big and physical and scores goals. He played with McColgan, so the team should know about him as they went to watch Shane play as well.

I think getting a bigger scoring forward is a need for this team and they could look to get it through the draft with these two players.

Also, expect this team to look at Zach Stepan in the 3rd round as well. They know what kind of person Derek is and there is a good chance his brother might become something as well. The bloodlines are there. Have to explore it IMO.

Last edited by mrjimmyg89: 06-01-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old
06-01-2012, 06:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Scouts who like his feisty, physical style -- and the skills set that complements it -- believe he could go late in the first round. Others think he could slip all the way to the Round 3, although it seems likely that some team will take a chance on him before that.

One Eastern Conference scout, who requested anonymity, said, "He may go in the second round if a team believes the skating will improve."

Samuelsson's skating consistently is cited as the softest spot in his game and appears to be the biggest hurdle he will have to clear before becoming a reliable contributor in the NHL.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz1wXWdkddb

Ulf was a good skater for a big man. How come his kid has an issue with his skating?

Old
06-01-2012, 06:40 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Would love for the Rangers to take Martin Frk with their selection. When I saw the kid play at the WJC at 17, I thought he would be a very good NHL player. He has size, a good shot, and the ability to shoot the puck from the point on the PP.

He has slipped due to a concussion this season, but I would love to see them take him late round one or trade down, get some picks, hope he slips and makes it to the early 2nd, grab an extra pick and get him then.

I think Detroit will be all over this guy. He's the type of player they go after, someone they can mold in the lower levels for a while and bring up when ready. He will not be a player ready at the age of 20, but a longer term project. With the depth they have in the prospect pool right now, he'd be a good guy to have to work with.

Colton Sissions will be another guy that'd I'd like to see this team get. He's big and physical and scores goals. He played with McColgan, so the team should know about him as they went to watch Shane play as well.

I think getting a bigger scoring forward is a need for this team and they could look to get it through the draft with these two players.

Also, expect this team to look at Zach Stepan in the 3rd round as well. They know what kind of person Derek is and there is a good chance his brother might become something as well. The bloodlines are there. Have to explore it IMO.
Zach is Derek's cousin, not brother.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I've seen about 9 Oil Kings games since Samuelsson joined the team. There were maybe 4 or 5 times that stick out in my mind where his skating was an issue. Two of those occasions were plays where he lost his man in coverage and took a bad penalty to try and recover.

To me, he looks much more like a big kid who hasn't settled into his frame than he does a bad technical skater. After talking to a few people about his memorial cup performance, I think I'm pretty content with him being our first pick.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Zach Stepan is going to Penicton(BCHL)for 12-13. Ohio State in the fall of 2013. Former Wisconsin assistant Mark Osiecki is head coach at OSU. The Badger players loved him. Not a surprise Zach is going there. Jordan Schmaltz backed out of a verbal commitment to Wisconsin when Osiecki left. He is going to North Dakota this fall.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

For anyone who isn't aware, the workouts began at the combine today. TSN has a live blog running:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9681

Our own Leslie Treff is also Tweeting from the floor:

Quote:
Leslie Treff ‏@HFNYRangers
10:30 group has quite a few top prospects in it. Grigorenko, Murray, Trouba.

8m Leslie Treff ‏@HFNYRangers
Dalton Thrower has trouble w vertical.

16m Leslie Treff ‏@HFNYRangers
Ceci doing very well on the vertical.

32m Leslie Treff ‏@HFNYRangers
Hart does very well on vertical.
Hart doing well on vertical is very impressive considering he's the heaviest player at the weigh-in (at least so far) at 216lbs.

TSN Blog mentioned Adam Graves was spotted on the floor this morning.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
For anyone who isn't aware, the workouts began at the combine today. TSN has a live blog running:

Hart doing well on vertical is very impressive considering he's the heaviest player at the weigh-in (at least so far) at 216lbs.

how was his vertical?

Old
06-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz1wXWdkddb

Ulf was a good skater for a big man. How come his kid has an issue with his skating?
Ulf was okay in close quarters but not open ice where a forward needs to be.

That said I think his size and skill still get him in the first round, this draft, come on

Quote:
I've seen about 9 Oil Kings games since Samuelsson joined the team. There were maybe 4 or 5 times that stick out in my mind where his skating was an issue. Two of those occasions were plays where he lost his man in coverage and took a bad penalty to try and recover.

To me, he looks much more like a big kid who hasn't settled into his frame than he does a bad technical skater. After talking to a few people about his memorial cup performance, I think I'm pretty content with him being our first pick.
Yeah he was always a standout when I watched him play. Size, skill, compete level, not to mention bloodlines, etc. Not sure his skill level is high enough to make up for the skating, will be picked ahead of NYR selection so I doubt he's an option.

Quote:

I like Hart, a top wildcard IMO. I think the Rangers take a good hard look at this kid.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I think Sammy will go right around the time the Rangers pick. Somewhere in the 20-40 range. His skating isn't terrible, but it's a little all over the place. He's got a bit of an unorthodox stride, but I see what Trxjw is saying. It might be the kind of thing that gets better as he fills out.

I too wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers want Hart, but I think he might be one of the biggest risers in the first round. Have a feeling a lot of teams are really infatuated with his potential. Could see him going in the 15-20 range.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah he was always a standout when I watched him play. Size, skill, compete level, not to mention bloodlines, etc. Not sure his skill level is high enough to make up for the skating, will be picked ahead of NYR selection so I doubt he's an option.

I like Hart, a top wildcard IMO. I think the Rangers take a good hard look at this kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I think Sammy will go right around the time the Rangers pick. Somewhere in the 20-40 range. His skating isn't terrible, but it's a little all over the place. He's got a bit of an unorthodox stride, but I see what Trxjw is saying. It might be the kind of thing that gets better as he fills out.

I too wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers want Hart, but I think he might be one of the biggest risers in the first round. Have a feeling a lot of teams are really infatuated with his potential. Could see him going in the 15-20 range.
The group outside of the top-15 is just crazy in terms of the fluctuation in rankings. Guys are all over the board depending on who you ask. I've seen Samuelsson as low as 50 and as high as 20. Really depends on what team falls in love with him I guess.

Hart would be a solid selection. I'm not enamored with Harvard in terms of player development, but you have to like his raw tools.

Wonder if injuries will allow Marcantuoni to drop to us in the 2nd. The potential for that kid is insane. The way he can stickhandle at top speed is incredible.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I think we're going to see alot of off the board picks. The combine and interviews will be time for impressions to be made with this lowkey bunch.

Something tells me there are some Euro players being underrated that need to be part of the NYR draft discussion.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I think we're going to see alot of off the board picks. The combine and interviews will be time for impressions to be made with this lowkey bunch.

Something tells me there are some Euro players being underrated that need to be part of the NYR draft discussion.
Certainly possible. I've had my eye on a couple European kids, but unfortunately I haven't gotten much of a look at them outside of WJC tape.

Ville Pokka - I thought he was very good overall at the WJC for the Finns. Should go in the 2nd round. 2nd pairing potential, and he's a righty which is always good.

Tobias Tornkvist - I've seen him rated in the 6th round in places, but I'd take him in the 4th or 5th. Didn't fair so well offensively in the U18, but he's a big kid who can motor and lay the body.

Mikko Lehtonen - Long term project, but has a great toolbox. Can really move the puck. Would be a gem in the 5th or 6th round (assuming we picked up a pick of course).

Wouldn't mind jumping up to nab Collberg if he falls. Kid is going to be a stud. Can only hope the fact that he got terrible ice time in Frolunda keeps some teams from taking him and we can jump up to grab him.

Last edited by Trxjw: 06-01-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Anyone think the Rangers will try move up? What's a Dubi + 1st package get you?

If they don't think they can make a trade for a scoring winger and given the UFA class is weak would they move up?

Old
06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
I say we draft Lindberg

Old
06-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Wow. Looks like Ludvig Rensfeldt, the Hawks 35th overall pick in 2010, isn't getting a contract. I thought he had progressed pretty well and looked to be adapting to the NA game quite nicely.

Beukes kid also looks like he'll go unsigned. No surprise there.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Anyone think the Rangers will try move up? What's a Dubi + 1st package get you?

If they don't think they can make a trade for a scoring winger and given the UFA class is weak would they move up?
With Gaborik's injury you want to subtract NHL roster players to add someone who won't help for at least two years?

Dubinsky isn't going anywhere unless it's for a legitimate high-end NHL scorer.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Wow. Looks like Ludvig Rensfeldt, the Hawks 35th overall pick in 2010, isn't getting a contract. I thought he had progressed pretty well and looked to be adapting to the NA game quite nicely.

Beukes kid also looks like he'll go unsigned. No surprise there.
Haven't really followed him since his draft year. Why is he going unsigned - has he not developed or does he want to bolt his organization (or is it some other reason entirely)?

Closed Thread