HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part I)

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
there will be options that are further along in their development
Again, I just disagree wholeheartedly with this argument. Why the rush to draft a player who will be ready to step in ASAP? You do not and can not fill needs at the end of the 1st round.

Kreider was drafted out of high school and faced weak competition. That was the knock on him. He was a project who most thought would be 4-5 years away. Very few if any thought he'd be in the NHL 3 years later at the time of that draft.

Who's to say after a year in the USHL/BCHL and 2 years in the NCAA McEachern won't be ready? It's up to the player and how quickly he develops.

You take the best player available, even if it will take him 5 years compared to a player who will be ready in 3. Needs change constantly. The Rangers aren't going to disregard a player because he may play 1 year of junior and 4 years in the NCAA. That's just foolish. If they think he's going to be the better NHL player, they take him.

And I know the Rangers think the same way. Look no further than 2010 when they took McIlrath over Fowler. Fowler stepped right in. McIlrath is probably at least 1-2 more years away. But they took McIlrath because they believed he was the BPA.

Last edited by Draft Guru: 06-08-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old
06-08-2012, 06:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Dubuque (USHL) defenseman Michael Matheson, expected to get picked in the first couple rounds, is taking a unique path to the NHL draft. He's a Quebec native who passed on playing in the QMJHL to play junior hockey in the United States. He's headed to Boston College and is looking forward to it.

He said the performance of New York Rangers prospect Chris Kreider during the playoffs, straight from BC, validates his decision.

"Oh, for sure," he said. "You look at Chris Kreider. ... Brian Dumoulin did the same thing with Carolina. They do a great job of developing their players."

He got an up-close look at Kreider's NHL drive and determination during his first visit to BC.

"[Kreider] was on the ice working on his skating all alone right in between classes," Matheson said. "I was meeting with the coaches, we heard someone on the ice, and we went out on the ice and he was out there practicing. You could see from day one he was really dedicated."
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...bine-nhl-draft

Old
06-08-2012, 06:50 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Never knew how dedicated Kreider was to lace them up between classes. Good nugget of info.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:00 PM
eco's bones

One of the things about Kreider that excites me the most is that he seems to be a very driven individual--meaning he's not only capable but he's prone to motivating himself. For someone so young that is amazing. Case in point and I've mentioned this before--his draft profile--favorite book he doesn't mention Harry Potter or some hockey book but Italo Calvino's Baron in the trees. This guy is open to a lot not just as a hockey player either. This kind of mindset also gets him through two difficult high school grades in one year and basically an extra college year of studies in three years while playing three full seasons of Hockey East Competition + playoffs, two WJC's and two World Championships with the USA team. It's almost scary and one has to wonder what kind of social life he's had until now but anyhow he's been interviewed tons of times in college--and a whirlwind of stuff during the playoffs which kind of put him back on his heels.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:12 PM
nsvoyageurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Is The Hockey News Draft guide out yet? If so how is it this year?

First year im not going to get ISS or Redline since the Rangers are drafting pretty high up im not as excited for the pick.
Yes it is, I bought one myself last week.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:24 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Again, I just disagree wholeheartedly with this argument. Why the rush to draft a player who will be ready to step in ASAP? You do not and can not fill needs at the end of the 1st round.

Kreider was drafted out of high school and faced weak competition. That was the knock on him. He was a project who most thought would be 4-5 years away. Very few if any thought he'd be in the NHL 3 years later at the time of that draft.

Who's to say after a year in the USHL/BCHL and 2 years in the NCAA McEachern won't be ready? It's up to the player and how quickly he develops.

You take the best player available, even if it will take him 5 years compared to a player who will be ready in 3. Needs change constantly. The Rangers aren't going to disregard a player because he may play 1 year of junior and 4 years in the NCAA. That's just foolish. If they think he's going to be the better NHL player, they take him.

And I know the Rangers think the same way. Look no further than 2010 when they took McIlrath over Fowler. Fowler stepped right in. McIlrath is probably at least 1-2 more years away. But they took McIlrath because they believed he was the BPA.
Kreider was going to the NCAA that fall. Not a year later. And he was a lock for the WJC.

There's no parallel.

The only knocks on Kreider were from those who knew nothing of him. The same knocks from the same folks who still knew nothing of him until he skated in his first NHL game.

MacEachern has nothing in common with any recent Rangers first round pick, as far as where he was when drafted vs where he will be after being drafted.

BPA is subjective. However, MacEachern wouldn't be the BPA. Kerdiles would. And if not Kerdiles any of Wilson, Matteau, Sissons, Samuelsson would be.

A first round pick still developing in lower levels isn't a good pick. Its just not.

No one is saying the pick needs to be ready in 2 years. But to still be below the NCAA is not how you conduct a first round.

Second round pick or later that's fine.

You mention MacIlrath, he was in the WHL.

No Rangers first round pick in the last decade...further...was drafted and still a year away from the NCAA.

If they pick MacEachern, they need to push him to the CHL.

This isn't a slight on him. He looks to have a lot of tools. Great skater. Big. But there's nothing to gauge his tools against for at least another year.

He seems like a good kid.

If they pick him, ill be concerned. But ill be rooting for him.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:30 PM
RangerBlues

Galchenyuk was 6'4 195 at the combine. The Canadians are drooling.

Forget about Nash. See what it takes to get the #2

Last edited by RangerBlues: 06-08-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: oops
Old
06-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Jacques Strap

It might be common knowledge, but if it's not, here is a good site to view hockey prospect videos.

http://www.hockeyprospect.tv/

Old
06-08-2012, 09:11 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Just throw out a few names. I might not have rankings but I know a little about the players.
do as many or as few as you feel like it but i'd be interested in seeing what they said on

Wilson
Matteau
Kerdiles
Mac^2
Nieves
Hart

Old
06-09-2012, 06:03 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
do as many or as few as you feel like it but i'd be interested in seeing what they said on

Wilson
Matteau
Kerdiles
Mac^2
Nieves
Hart
Mark Jankowski and Scott Laughton

Old
06-09-2012, 08:38 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Isn't Derek Stepan's cousin in this draft class?

Old
06-09-2012, 09:18 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Isn't Derek Stepan's cousin in this draft class?
yes zach stepan is derek's cousin

Old
06-09-2012, 09:39 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
yes zach stepan is derek's cousin
Knew that just wasn't sure if he was eligible. I thought I remember reading that he had a good year.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Knew that just wasn't sure if he was eligible. I thought I remember reading that he had a good year.
Not really. He went from a probably first round pick to a probably 3rd round pick.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:44 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Keep an eye on Thrower and Koekoek in this draft. Both had injuries, both can play. Both could drop.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Keep an eye on Thrower and Koekoek in this draft. Both had injuries, both can play. Both could drop.
Neither drops outside of the top 35 picks, though.

I'd love Thrower in the 2nd round, but the only way it makes sense to grab him is to trade back.

I'd rather take Mac Squared, though.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Im hoping Kerdiles is on the board at #28. But if he isn't, there will be options that are further along in their development.

Again, Kreider was going to BC no matter what. He worked his ass off in school to make it happen. He made up about a year worth of school in one summer to be eligible.

MacEachern isn't doing that.

He will be in the USHL max next year if he wants to play in the NCAA.

By contrast, Fogarty, a third round pick had to play in the BCHL for a year to retain his NCAA rights for next year.

A second round pick or beyond is worth taking a risk on a player like that. Not a first round pick.

Kerdiles, Matteau, Wilson, Hart, Samuelsson, Sissons, Nieves.

There are going to be options available.

If we want MacEachern, its easier to trade up in the second or later rounds.
LOL SISSONS? Really?

Matteau and Sissons are super low upside, safe picks. **** that in the first round. Go all out risk reward. I am not enamored with anyone on your list outside of Hart or Samuelsson.

We need to go all upside. Mac Squared is the all upside pick.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:58 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Neither drops outside of the top 35 picks, though.

I'd love Thrower in the 2nd round, but the only way it makes sense to grab him is to trade back.

I'd rather take Mac Squared, though.

I'll be more than happy with either one as the Rangers first round pick especially KoeKoek. Kid has talent.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I'll be more than happy with either one as the Rangers first round pick especially KoeKoek. Kid has talent.
I wouldn't pick them unless we moved down.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:05 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
LOL SISSONS? Really?

Matteau and Sissons are super low upside, safe picks. **** that in the first round. Go all out risk reward. I am not enamored with anyone on your list outside of Hart or Samuelsson.

We need to go all upside. Mac Squared is the all upside pick.
I agree with this sentiment...the Rangers have a solid prospect base, but, they need a few more home runs. I'd like to see them try for a few more high-risk, high-reward types, especially since they're drafting late in each round.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:15 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Again. Where is MacEachern playing next year?

When is the last time the Rangers drafted a player in the first round and had him play below the NCAA or CHL?

It was nothing to do with what I want. The track record speaks for its self.

Who owns his CHL rights?

Old
06-09-2012, 11:18 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

And secondly i never i said i dislike the player. Id love to draft him in the second round.

I have (rightful) concerns about drafting a player that is still a year away from playing at the level every other first round player is either at now or will be in the fall.

And i never said i was enamoured with Sissons and Matteau. Read back a couple of pages to see what I said about them.

But i have an easier time seeing the Rangers draft Matteau then drafting a player that will be toiling below the NCAA or CHL for a year. Not a first round pick. Second and beyond like Fogarty yes.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Again. Where is MacEachern playing next year?

When is the last time the Rangers drafted a player in the first round and had him play below the NCAA or CHL?

It was nothing to do with what I want. The track record speaks for its self.

Who owns his CHL rights?
I don't care where he's playing, actually. He's a long term prospect with huge upside.

Why the heck would we pick SISSONS of all guys? Yeah, let's take a guy with maybe third line potential.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:27 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I don't care where he's playing, actually. He's a long term prospect with huge upside.

Why the heck would we pick SISSONS of all guys? Yeah, let's take a guy with maybe third line potential.
Jesus, Jonathan. Look at the post above you. Relax yourself.

I am on record not being high on Sissons. I like him. Solid player. But he doesn't look high-end to me, either.

And Im also on record saying i like MacEachern and his tools and upside.

Doesn't mean my concerns are not valid.

But you didn't answer the question. Who owns his CHL rights? Does anyone? Was he drafted?

If not, and we draft him, it would be wise to have Graves call in a favor for him and get him into the Oshawa Generals organization.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
idn't answer the question. Who owns his CHL rights? Does anyone? Was he drafted?

If not, and we draft him, it would be wise to have Graves call in a favor for him and get him into the Oshawa Generals organization.
I have no idea. I don't mind him playing HS for another year or going to the USHL or anything else. That's not a big deal at all.

Closed Thread