HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part I)

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2011, 08:44 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Not enough gems that we can ignore our huge LW gap in our top 6.
I mean:

Dubinsky
Kreider
Miller

I would say that's at least "okay" depth at LW.

Old
10-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

If Galchenyuk has a drop off this year, I can see him dropping. Although playing with Yakupov, I don't see him having a drop off unfortunately

Old
10-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
If Galchenyuk actually drops into the 8-10 range, the Rangers should put together a big package and pick him up. The best chance at getting a top 5 offensive talent they'll ever have. I'm drooling just thinking about it. He's so versatile. Can beat you in so many ways. A level of dynamism this organization sorely lacks.
Absolutely. The org would be totally justified in cracking open the piggy bank to move up to get him. However, I'm not sure I'm buying the notion he'll fall that far.

Old
10-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

This Yakupov fella looks like a complete tank.

Some team is going to be very, very lucky to draft him. Hoping he goes out West, but praying he doesn't land in the Atlantic. We have enough young superstars to worry about

Old
10-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
If Galchenyuk actually drops into the 8-10 range, the Rangers should put together a big package and pick him up. The best chance at getting a top 5 offensive talent they'll ever have. I'm drooling just thinking about it. He's so versatile. Can beat you in so many ways. A level of dynamism this organization sorely lacks.
How come he hasn't played this season yet? Injury?

Old
10-18-2011, 12:40 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
How come he hasn't played this season yet? Injury?
think he hurt his mcl

Old
10-18-2011, 12:41 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

As awesome as the Russian forwards are this year, I think that we should go defenseman this year. 2013 is very deep up front. Guys like Murray, Ebert, and Reinhart are pipe dreams. Those guys are all going top 10. The short list of guys I have my eye on are as follows (in order of preference):

Dumba
Trouba
Koekkoek

Dumba and Trouba would have been without a question top 10 picks in the 2011 draft if they were eligible. This draft overall has scary top end depth.

Old
10-18-2011, 12:41 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Injuries won't drop Galchenyuk. Brett Connolly was a veritable Gaborik of junior hockey and he "dropped" to 6th. Maybe depth of the draft drops him but I can't see it. Kid would be fantastic to have. Love that he's technically an American.
yeah i think the depth of this draft could possibly drop a player whos had an injury plagued year. galchenyuk should be healthy before christmas though so i don't see him dropping due to injury.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:26 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

matt dumba has his fans no doubt, hes a stud but i still say that morgan rielly has better upside and is an overall better player.

hes flown under the radar some with the other bigger names gettting all the props but hes a pretty slick dman prospect in the ryan murphy mold.

his stock will continue to rise and imo hes a sure fire top 10 kid next spring.

this highlight is pretty slick. @ :40 in

http://whl.ca/video/index/id/1317917695

*disclaimer*

the play by play guy for moose jaw is without a doubt theh most annoying tool i have ever heard call a hockey game. he just needs to be silenced. his voice makes my ears bleed.

Old
10-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Anyone know bloodlines in this years draft? I haven't gotten any guides or read up yet so im not in the know. Isn't Domi's kid coming out soon?

Old
10-20-2011, 12:44 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Anyone know bloodlines in this years draft? I haven't gotten any guides or read up yet so im not in the know. Isn't Domi's kid coming out soon?
I believe Stepan's cousin is in this years draft.

Old
10-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I believe Stepan's cousin is in this years draft.
Correct-a-mundo. Zach Stepan is in the draft. Projected to be a high 2nd rounder

Old
10-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Looks like a Sarnia radio station confirmed Galchenyuk will undergo knee surgery. Projected return date is March.

Old
10-21-2011, 06:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Looks like a Sarnia radio station confirmed Galchenyuk will undergo knee surgery. Projected return date is March.
Sucks for the kid, but I hope he drops.

I'd do a pick swap with some higher end prospects involved to get him.

Old
10-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Mentioned him in the prospects thread, but a name to watch this year is Tom Wilson out of Plymouth. He's a massive RW that can throw bombs and has really solid offensive upside. Great hands around the net, and a heavy shot that he can get off quickly. He's also an underrated passer. He can win battles along the boards and find an open man. He has a very projectable frame as he is already 6'4 200lbs (only turned 17 in March) and I think he'll fill out at about 225-235lbs when he matures. He has the potential to be an absolute monster.

He should get a lot of attention from the Rangers since he's playing on the same squad as JT Miller, but he also posses a lot of the qualities the Rangers have been targeting in their picks. He's a good kid who has a very strong commitment to academics.

From an article here about Plymouth signing him to a contract:

Quote:
"...a big, physical winger who displays a real scoring touch around the net and has the potential to develop into a power forward at the next level. He has legitimate size and a great stick. The strength of his game is his ability to finish and put the puck in the net. He might not be the prettiest, but he could be one of the more natural finishers in this age group. He displays a real ability to put the puck in the net, and he really takes advantage of his chances."

Old
10-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Feel bad for him, but like Blitz said, if this means he'll drop and we have a shot at him, I'm happy.

Old
10-21-2011, 09:32 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Mentioned him in the prospects thread, but a name to watch this year is Tom Wilson out of Plymouth. He's a massive RW that can throw bombs and has really solid offensive upside. Great hands around the net, and a heavy shot that he can get off quickly. He's also an underrated passer. He can win battles along the boards and find an open man. He has a very projectable frame as he is already 6'4 200lbs (only turned 17 in March) and I think he'll fill out at about 225-235lbs when he matures. He has the potential to be an absolute monster.

He should get a lot of attention from the Rangers since he's playing on the same squad as JT Miller, but he also posses a lot of the qualities the Rangers have been targeting in their picks. He's a good kid who has a very strong commitment to academics.

From an article here about Plymouth signing him to a contract:
skating issues

Old
10-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
skating issues
If he was a great skater, we'd be watching him get picked up by a lottery team in the top 10. He's going to be a climber.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:27 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
If he was a great skater, we'd be watching him get picked up by a lottery team in the top 10. He's going to be a climber.
hes a nice looking prospect.

just saying, he doesnt skate that well. odd stride and not all that athletic on his skates. he isnt slow but hes quite lumbering and the stride is an issue. ya still gotta be able to get from point a to point b effectively.

hes real big though. so that makes sense that he isnt a figure skater.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes a nice looking prospect.

just saying, he doesnt skate that well. odd stride and not all that athletic on his skates. he isnt slow but hes quite lumbering and the stride is an issue. ya still gotta be able to get from point a to point b effectively.

hes real big though. so that makes sense that he isnt a figure skater.
I think his skating looks like a lot of kids who are still growing into a big body. His balance is off most of the time, but there are periods where it comes together and it's very impressive.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:41 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I think his skating looks like a lot of kids who are still growing into a big body. His balance is off most of the time, but there are periods where it comes together and it's very impressive.
Most big kids like that need to work on their core strength and leg strength more because they have just recently had their growth spurts. Makes sense.

I would be okay with a pick like him in the 1st. Big kid with good hands. He would definitely fit the mold of a Rangers pick but kids like him ALWAYS seem to go higher than projected. Kassian and Biggs are just 2 examples recently. Not to say either are going to be bad players, but IMO they were both taken too early.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:52 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Yikes...Galchenyuk having possibly season ending surgery now.
I wonder if the injury really WILL affect his stock now.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:56 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Yikes...Galchenyuk having possibly season ending surgery now.
I wonder if the injury really WILL affect his stock now.
cant imagine him going top 10 in a deep draft like this now. be a steal if we managed to get him somehow.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:00 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
cant imagine him going top 10 in a deep draft like this now. be a steal if we managed to get him somehow.
Hell yeah, I'd still bite.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
He's too talented to fall out of the top 10. It's an injury that requires a lot of rehabilitation time after the surgery. However, players are certainly able to make a full recovery. It's not as if he has some chronic condition that is going to flare up throughout his career, and he's not exactly "injury prone" either.

I don't think teams are going to be scared away because of this.

Closed Thread