vCash: 663
Manitoba Mounties PLZ.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:24 PM
tbryant2k11

vCash: 500
--

Putting a WHL team in a 5000 seat arena in Winnipeg would really look out of place. Westman Place can hold just under 6000 now.

The average attendance for Wheat King games played in Winnipeg is around 3500. Winnipeg had no problem selling out the MTS Centre for the NHL Exhibition games, yet can't get a decent attendance for WHL games.

Does Winnipeg really want a WHL team right now?

tbryant2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
From the people I talk to, they don't go to the Wheat Kings games because the team isn't "ours". If it was a WHL team from Winnipeg, different story I'd think.

03-29-2012, 07:43 PM
tbryant2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
From the people I talk to, they don't go to the Wheat Kings games because the team isn't "ours". If it was a WHL team from Winnipeg, different story I'd think.
The teams that played in the NHL exhibition games weren't either.

Old
03-29-2012, 07:43 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Prince George might be relocating soon, because of that long drive, but I don't know, I hope we get an expansion team, but I kind of want them to call them Headingley, just because that little town will feel more important, and I mean we have the Jets, but either way it will be cool to have a WHL team as well, Selkirk wouldn't be a bad idea either, they have a nice state of the art arena, good enough for WHL, their arena reminds me alot of Wesman.

Anyways, I would love to have an expansion WHL team, in Winnipeg, would be an awesome rival with Brandon and would be fair cause lots of us can't go to Jets games, just cause of the sellouts all the time. The players would probably attend Westwood or John Taylor and I think this should happen by 2014-16.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbryant2k11 View Post
The teams that played in the NHL exhibition games weren't either.
But that's the NHL.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:06 PM
tbryant2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
But that's the NHL.
Of course.

Old
04-01-2012, 10:50 PM
misterb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
Intriguing wrt WHL, location stinks though. Leaves a huge chunk of the city out of the market.
Are you kidding?

Perfect location, the new stadium should be out there too.

misterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterb View Post
Are you kidding?

Perfect location, the new stadium should be out there too.
That is a 50 min drive for people living in the SE. Wouldn't even want to imagine how long a bus ride it would be.
Would be better if the arena was built in Steinbach for people in the SE. Shorter drive.

I would definitely support a WHL team in Winnipeg. I didn't really have any interest in going to the Wheat Kings games because I have no attachment to the team at all.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:56 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
comparing prices to other teams in the WHL average season ticket packages are around $300 a year per seat. At that price i would consider it but obviously if the games conflicted with Jet games i would be at the MTSC instead lol

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:31 PM
shaunhil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Apparently there's going to be a new 5000 seat arena built on Red River Exhibition grounds. Since it will be built outside city limits and without public money, it doesn't violate TNSE's agreement with the city.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...144560765.html
I was coming here to post that. Winnipeg on the come up.

shaunhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:50 PM
bicycles

not happening... Shindico wants to borrow money against the land which they claim is worth $140 million... it is not worth anywhere near that. they will not get the loans needed and the project won't happen. it's just a fluff release to draw up interest for their Westport Festival big box centre they are building next door, which they seem to be having trouble attracting tenants to.

a WHL team would play out of MTS. guaranteed.

bicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:20 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Winnipeg, only NHL market in Canada without major junior hockey. Okay, okay, Toronto and Montreal's teams are in the suburbs, but technically in the metro area.

I think it would fill a void created with the departure of the Moose. Family entertainment at family prices.

If you market the team to attract the kiddies, than you're building future demand for the big league team when they grow up.

Don't think Winnipeg would draw the crowd sizes that Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver do. Even Edmonton didn't draw all that well until this year when their team started to win more than lose. However, even if the team could draw 3,000 per game it would be a success. Believe it or not, 3,000 a game is not far off the number that most CHL teams average.

Saw the demise of the Clubs and the Warriors (and vague memories of the Jr. Jets). And truthfully, they weren't marketed very well at all.

If TNSE were involved then it would succeed because they know how to run hockey teams. If TNSE wanted to quail any competition with the MTS Centre, they should be seeking a WHL franchise immediately, and poof, Red River Ex plan is gone.

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 04-03-2012 at 12:39 AM.
AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:48 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod1 View Post
personally i think this would be awesome but i've also heard for years that the WHL doesn't want to come to wpg because of travel costs. Apparently team already hate going to Brandon because its too far east compared to the rest of the league
All the more reason that the Wheaties would support the idea of a team in Winnipeg. Any team going to Brandon would also come to Winnipeg and therefore making other teams "eastern" trips more cost effective. We saw for years how the AHL scheduled back to back games vs the Moose for the visiting team. This method of reducing traveling costs for other teams could be considered.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Wolf357

The Wheat Kings games that were held here didnt sell out due to a few reasons.
First: As said before they simply arnt our team.
Second: they really didnt do a whole lot of Marketing. I'm a Hockey guy and only did I see highlights on CKY of the previous night that I knew that they were even playing at MTSC.

I honestly think if TNSE were to own and operate the team they would do very well. At $300 for season tickets? Yep I'm all over that.

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:09 PM
cutchemist42

Can't say I would bother. Bisons hockey is just fine for me.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:18 PM
fitzy0019

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Can't say I would bother. Bisons hockey is just fine for me.
its too bad they dont market the Bisons more within the city. even on campus, if you dont research the games, you have no idea when they are on. its excellent hockey, and the students who attend make it a fun atmosphere

fitzy0019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:37 AM
TroubaFan1

I love the idea myself.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:28 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

i wonder if it would ever be possible for the Jets to have there own TV channel kinda like a partnership with TSN where they televised all the games like they do now but also filled up time slots with other content. Maybe TNSE could own a WHL team and televise the games locally on that channel?

Old
04-04-2012, 02:39 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy0019 View Post
its too bad they dont market the Bisons more within the city. even on campus, if you dont research the games, you have no idea when they are on. its excellent hockey, and the students who attend make it a fun atmosphere

Exactly, its former CHLers except with a few more years of development so the players are still great to watch.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:41 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Exactly, its former CHLers except with a few more years of development so the players are still great to watch.
same thing could be said about the MJHL teams in Winnipeg the Blues/Saints. Great hockey and its really cheap to go watch but there is no effort put into marketing. No reason a MJHL playoff for either team shouldn't be sold out.

Old
04-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

I think the WHL is an entirely different hockey experience since the Clubs/Warriors left. The WJC, the NHL increasing the profile of the entry draft, huge success of younger players such as Crosby, Hall, Eberle, RNH, etc., merchandising and even the advancement of technology (with great CHL league websites and forums like this one) has made Major Junior hockey one of the most exciting places for hockey fans who seem to have an insatiable attitude for the game, stats, prognostication and discussion.

This culturally-changing level of interest combined with TNSE's incredible organization and marketing abilities would guarantee success of the WHL in Winnipeg.

I think TNSE should buy the Bisons as well (privatizing as other universities such as Lakehead have done) and unveil the best kept secret in the Winnipeg hockey scene.

Ched is offline   Reply With Quote