HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago-NYR

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2011, 01:53 AM
  #1
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,562
vCash: 1948
Chicago-NYR

Chicago
Boyle

NYR
Frolik

Rangers need a LW, Frolik was outstanding in the playoffs and can play either side. He'd be a good fit in the Rangers system. Put him with Richards and watch him go. Hawks need a No. 3 C and are looking to get more size so Boyle fits well.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:58 AM
  #2
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,732
vCash: 300
Frolik is a nice player, but Boyle is much, much more versatile, and although he'll more than likely be outscored by Frolik, he's better than him at everything else.

Add to Frolik, and then we can talk.

__________________

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:01 AM
  #3
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Yikes no thank you. Frolik hasn't improved at all since being drafted and he certainly doesn't look like a Torts kinda guy.


Last edited by Kershaw: 07-06-2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: ed
Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:02 AM
  #4
brtriad
Registered User
 
brtriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Loop
Country: United States
Posts: 13,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I like Boyle but if we're using Frolik as bargaining chip we can do better. Anisimov or Dubinsky would be more in the ballpark, but I doubt the Rags would ship out either one.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:04 AM
  #5
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,326
vCash: 500
I think I'd rather see Boyle on top LW creating space for Richards-Gabby than Frolik. Boyle can play LW as well, so that's really a no go. Right now we have Fedotenko, Boyle/Rupp (one will play LW and one will play C), Wolski, Dubinsky on LW. Plus Avery wherever, most likely a healthy scratch.

Including Hagelin, we have like 3-5 bottom LWers. We need a top 6 LW, which Boyle obviously won't get us.


Boyle also doesn't play an excessively aggressive game for his size and I think he sort of overperformed last year (he had a month or two where basically every shot he took found the net), so I'm not sure if he'll help Chicago there.

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:05 AM
  #6
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
I like Boyle but if we're using Frolik as bargaining chip we can do better. Anisimov or Dubinsky would be more in the ballpark, but I doubt the Rags would ship out either one.
For Frolik? I wouldn't do Boyle for him, let alone a very solid two way center or top 6 PWF. If Dubi or Anisimov are in talks, Frolik would be a toss in, not the centerpiece...

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:07 AM
  #7
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,732
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
For Frolik? I wouldn't do Boyle for him, let alone a very solid two way center or top 6 PWF. If Dubi or Anisimov are in talks, Frolik would be a toss in, not the centerpiece...
No kidding.

If the Rangers are dealing one of those players to the Hawks, a LOT more than Frolik is going to be coming back.

BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:11 AM
  #8
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
I like Boyle but if we're using Frolik as bargaining chip we can do better. Anisimov or Dubinsky would be more in the ballpark, but I doubt the Rags would ship out either one.
Was this serious?

Both are clearly better than Frolik by a wide margin.

I can understand the value between Boyle and Frolik being similar, but i still would rather keep boyle.

You do remember who you traded for Frolik right? His value hasn't changed all that much.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:02 AM
  #9
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,374
vCash: 500
Doesn't Frolik have like a $3 million cap hit, or was that Olesz? If so, double no thanks.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:10 AM
  #10
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,591
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Rangers need Boyle more.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:12 AM
  #11
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Frolik better offensive player, but Rangers need Boyle's size. Boyle only goes as part of a package for an upgrade.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 03:13 AM
  #12
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Frolik is a nice player, but Boyle is much, much more versatile, and although he'll more than likely be outscored by Frolik, he's better than him at everything else.

Add to Frolik, and then we can talk.
Frolik has a more proven track record than Boyle, I get it, you are a Rangers fan and you like the guy but 1 pretty decent year and you think he's worth more than Frolik?

Frolik had a down year, but that's not enough where the Hawks would have to add to get Boyle.

How well did Boyle do in the playoffs? How many of his 0pts helped his team? Consider that as well, a 21 goal scorer suddenly disappears in the playoffs, an enormous task for a 6'7" W/C.

Value wise, the Rangers need Boyle more like Thadd said. So it's skewed.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:30 AM
  #13
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,619
vCash: 500
I know you love Boyle, but Frolik is a better player. He could become your needed Top6 LW. Boyle is a bottom 6 guy.

Do you have enough options for the PK if you move Boyle?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:41 AM
  #14
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,732
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
Frolik has a more proven track record than Boyle, I get it, you are a Rangers fan and you like the guy but 1 pretty decent year and you think he's worth more than Frolik?
I don't think he's necessarily "worth" more than Frolik, but I do think Boyle is more valuable to the Rangers than Frolik is, thus why if Frolik is being offered up for Boyle, I would think the Hawks have to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
Frolik had a down year, but that's not enough where the Hawks would have to add to get Boyle.
They're adding because there is no incentive from a Ranger perspective to deal Boyle for Frolik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
How well did Boyle do in the playoffs? How many of his 0pts helped his team? Consider that as well, a 21 goal scorer suddenly disappears in the playoffs, an enormous task for a 6'7" W/C.
Instead of looking at the stat sheets, I watched each of those games, and Boyle was one of the Rangers most involved forwards. He was getting a bunch of chances, generating good shots, and was, as usual, forechecking excellently. The game goes beyond stats, you know, he certainly didn't "disappear". He is what he is, a 3rd line centerman, who was primarily paired up against Ovechkin and Backstrom in a defensive role. His role wasn't to carry the team on his back offensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
Value wise, the Rangers need Boyle more like Thadd said. So it's skewed.
...exactly, which is why the Hawks would have to add to Frolik for the Rangers to budge. If you understood this from the beginning, why bother making a point of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I know you love Boyle, but Frolik is a better player. He could become your needed Top6 LW. Boyle is a bottom 6 guy.

Do you have enough options for the PK if you move Boyle?
"Better"? I guess, if it depends on what your definition of "better" is. More proven, yes, but if Boyle can continue to put up ~15 goals, ~30 points, and contribute in all the other ways that he does, he ends up being a more valuable player to the Rangers team, unless Frolik can become a consistent 55-60 point guy.

As for the PKing, yeah, the Rangers have plenty of PKing forwards -- Prust, Fedotenko, Callahan, Dubinsky, Gaborik, Stepan, and Anisimov can all adequately kill penalties -- but Boyle is one of the Rangers top-4 penalty killers. He's an excellent shot blocker, which is an important thing for the Rangers, considering how much of their system relies on shot blocks.

BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:44 AM
  #15
OnlyTheBrave*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Arguing about a player with a poster that has his username dedicated to that player is a losing battle.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:47 AM
  #16
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,732
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
Arguing about a player with a poster that has his username dedicated to that player is a losing battle.
Instead of making comments about my username, which is a joke that was started on the NY board, how about you counter the points I made? The discussion is about Boyle/Frolik, not my fan allegiance. Call me biased, whatever, but I'm not really the biased type.

(Unless is involves Kris Letang, which is when you just shouldn't bother arguing. I would try and sugercoat an own goal in the SCF for Letang)

BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 04:53 AM
  #17
HockeySensible
NHL Says...
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Was this serious?

Both are clearly better than Frolik by a wide margin.

I can understand the value between Boyle and Frolik being similar, but i still would rather keep boyle.

You do remember who you traded for Frolik right? His value hasn't changed all that much.
Was this serious? Frolik is better than the package that aquired him. It's not Frolik's fault that Tallon's a moron. Skille is Tallon's love child. You or I look at Skille and see a borderline 4th liner.. Tallon looks at Skille and sees this amazing potential.

Either way, Frolik > Boyle but if Frolik keeps taking forever to sign then this would be a decent trade.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:49 AM
  #18
Black Tank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: a NYer in England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
Frolik can share iced lattes with Wolski in the press box b/c there is no way he is going to cut it in Tortorella's system. I don't see a player who is completely committed to the system and is the checking center relied on against opposing top lines being traded for a guy like Frolik in a one for one trade. Not unless Sather/Torterella think they can turn Frolik into a 40 goal guy and that's a real stretch.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:43 AM
  #19
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,619
vCash: 500
I think this would make sense for both teams. If this is the case it won't happen in real life

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:45 AM
  #20
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,562
vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
You do remember who you traded for Frolik right? His value hasn't changed all that much.
Would Jeff Halpern, Mike Smith, Jussi Jokinen and round 4 pick be fair value for Richards? That's called winning a trade. So by your logic, if Ovechkin gets traded for Hunwick, every team will blacklist him and refuse to trade for him unless they are giving up a player equal to or lesser than Hunwick.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Frolik can share iced lattes with Wolski in the press box b/c there is no way he is going to cut it in Tortorella's system. I don't see a player who is completely committed to the system and is the checking center relied on against opposing top lines being traded for a guy like Frolik in a one for one trade. Not unless Sather/Torterella think they can turn Frolik into a 40 goal guy and that's a real stretch.
I'd like to read a description of Tort's system and Frolik as a player through your eyes because you're way off the mark on both so far.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:53 AM
  #21
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust
 
MacTruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
Frolik + a 2nd for Boyle would get me listening.

I like Frolik, but Boyle is the perfect 3rd line player and we need size up front.

No thanks.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:57 AM
  #22
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 20,091
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Frolik is far from the shrinking violet most HF posters perceive him to be. They confuse "soft perimeter player" with "European".

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:31 AM
  #23
Black Tank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: a NYer in England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Would Jeff Halpern, Mike Smith, Jussi Jokinen and round 4 pick be fair value for Richards? That's called winning a trade. So by your logic, if Ovechkin gets traded for Hunwick, every team will blacklist him and refuse to trade for him unless they are giving up a player equal to or lesser than Hunwick.




I'd like to read a description of Tort's system and Frolik as a player through your eyes because you're way off the mark on both so far.
Straight north-south, with hard physical forecheck creating offensive chances. The handful of times I saw Frolik he was more Wolski than Boyle in that regard, but if I'm wrong fill me in on his game.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:45 AM
  #24
Alien Valuating
Registered User
 
Alien Valuating's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens
Posts: 674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Was this serious? Frolik is better than the package that aquired him. It's not Frolik's fault that Tallon's a moron. Skille is Tallon's love child. You or I look at Skille and see a borderline 4th liner.. Tallon looks at Skille and sees this amazing potential.
Either way, Frolik > Boyle but if Frolik keeps taking forever to sign then this would be a decent trade.
So what you're saying is that you or I look at Skille and see Skille, while Tallon looks at Skille and sees skill?

Alien Valuating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:55 AM
  #25
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,117
vCash: 566
before I even opened the thread I saw who started it and I said to myself "you're not getting boyle" now I open it and I want to say....

Boyle plays left wing.

Keep trying Steel.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.