HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Camp (Public Scrimmages 7/16 & 7/17)

Old
07-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Qubax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
i recorded a video of brodin i'll get it put up, he really was fun to watch play.

here it is, not long but shows him and how he plays a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKP-SGWFVnc
I'm surprised there isn't more hype about Brodin, I think he looks good in that pick and can be an Oliver Ekman Larsson type of franchise potential Dman for you guys...

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Aapo

Great shoot out goal by Granlund!!
Maybe we should stop comparing him with Koivu and start comparing him with Peter Forsberg instead:

Last edited by Aapo: 07-16-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Aapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:13 PM
forthewild

Jaric i followed Brodin very closely and i have to disagree with you, you are right he wasn't flashy but if you watched him play he was outstanding. one thing i noticed over and over was how he read the play before everyone else, if you watch him he would start going one way and then the play and everyone else would follow. if he started skating back the play would break down and the other team would start the rush but he knew that before everyone else. His shot i though was good, took one slapper got through, yes he needs to put more sauce on it, but adding 30lbs of muscle should help.

in that vid what you didn't get to see because i blow at recording but at the end when he pinched and dumped the puck into the zone, he actually started heading to where the puck was going to be before anyone else, as the Green player was shooting the puck Brodin was in position.

he was by far the best dman and one of he best players on the ice today, not flashy but he did his job well, broke the team out, made good passes and played good D. Showed why he is the 2nd best prospect with the Wild.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:21 PM
MaV

Here's the problem for Granlund: He pulled the same shootout move a couple of months age in World Championships when nearly 20% of the country was watching a game that mattered. Now he is on a prospects camp for a week to get out of the military service...

Anyway and seriously, he is a player who plays the better when the games get more important and harder. Not just because he would be more motivated, but he can also cope with the faster pace because of the unique ability to slow the game down. I wouldn't really expect him to excel in scrimmage like this. Especially if his linemates are not always expecting and ready to take a pass at all this.

MaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Jaric i followed Brodin very closely and i have to disagree with you, you are right he wasn't flashy but if you watched him play he was outstanding. one thing i noticed over and over was how he read the play before everyone else, if you watch him he would start going one way and then the play and everyone else would follow. if he started skating back the play would break down and the other team would start the rush but he knew that before everyone else. His shot i though was good, took one slapper got through, yes he needs to put more sauce on it, but adding 30lbs of muscle should help.

in that vid what you didn't get to see because i blow at recording but at the end when he pinched and dumped the puck into the zone, he actually started heading to where the puck was going to be before anyone else, as the Green player was shooting the puck Brodin was in position.

he was by far the best dman and one of he best players on the ice today, not flashy but he did his job well, broke the team out, made good passes and played good D. Showed why he is the 2nd best prospect with the Wild.
I have to agree. Pairing Brodin with Genoway was a stroke of genius because it allowed both players to use their strengths.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:

That's good to know, looking forward to watching the video. Very reassuring!

By the way, don't take my word as meaning anything. Like I said, my kid was incredibly distracting, and I was way down at the end right on the glass, and with the new glass I can't see anything at the other end. If I said "he didn't stand out" it was more I didn't see if he did anything good or bad.

Clarifying on Granlund, it wasn't a criticism, just a note. It was really obvious that he wasn't trying much. He did seem more involved early on but then he took a pretty decent hit and then backed off. My favorite part of the day was this pinpoint pass he made, where he carried the puck across the blue line on the rush, literally turned his back and head, and backhand threaded a pass through traffic right onto the stick of another player. He had a few just brilliant moments like that. But then there were times where play would go the other way and he'd "go off for a change" by lazily gliding FROM THE DOTS IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE. Good lord.

He has nothing to prove, and it was obvious. So maybe he's just tired, or banged up, or whatever. That's why you can't draw conclusions to much from these scrimmages...most of the kids looked pretty good but obviously some don't have a future where some could be quality NHL'ers. When they face tougher competition, THAT'S when you draw the conclusions

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh yeah that clip where Zucker taps on the glass for the puck, I don't think I've seen that before at any level. He was so fun to watch...

That end of the ice I literally couldn't see anything that was going on. Brodin looked great in that clip!

Old
07-16-2011, 06:50 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Just some random thoughts about some players i noticed

Granlund - had some great patience with the puck and mad some smart/creative plays with the puck.

Brodin - Didn't notice him the first half, but 2nd half when he was out there I tried to just watch him, and he looked calm, and was reading plays well. Not flashy, had a nick shultz type of game (You don't notice him but he's doing things right).

Broda - he seemed to be everywhere, nothing specific stood out about him but I just kept seeing him with or battling for the puck.

Kuemper - disappointed me, his glove side looked really weak, especially high glove side in the shootout (Obviously).

Hackett - seemed solid all around, didn't notice any particular weaknesses (but i wasn't really watching him) he seems to like to play the puck, but maybe that was just today.

Phillips - skating was awkward but not as slow as I had anticipated, he had a sense of where to go to get a goal, looks like he could be a good around the net guy.

Zucker - Guy is quick, and every time he had the puck you got the sense that he could score, just something about him.

Scandella - looked solid, as anticipated from a guy who played in the NHL last year. Patient with the puck, good skater.

Genoway - was quick and confident on the rush, good passing. As Jarick said reminded me of Spurgeon last year.

Foucault - surprised me with how much finesse he can have in his game

That's all I can remember from today. Looking forward to going back tomorrow.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:26 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

People should not be surprised by Granlund's or Phillips' speed. It was said they had below average acceleration, not below average overall speed. Basically, they're like Mikko... have average NHL speed, just not great acceleration to that speed.

This board can go a bit overboard at times with criticisms like that when they read scouting reports. Next thing you know they are being compared to Andrew Brunette in terms of skating.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:41 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Team White Thoughts

Old
07-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Caior89

Damn, i had to work!
So.. any vids? i already watched granlund sick goal and saw that genoway had a pretty one too.

Going to watch it tomorrow.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
LOL @ Havlat breakaway speed

I'm telling you, Zucker-Coyle-Wellman

Actually I kind of would prefer Coyle at the RW and put a playmaker like a Granlund at center.

Great writeup, Nate.

Also, on Zucker's goal, I'll add he did this sick hesitation on his shot before releasing which caused the goalie to go down and then popped the water bottle. The kid is a gem.

Old
07-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Jbcraig1883

I was able to catch most of it on the internet so I am sure I missed a lot of stuff. With that says, here goes:

Zucker, Phillips, Scandella, and Foucault were the most noticeable in my opinion. I expected more from Granlund. He certainly showed his creativity and vision but he lost a lot of puck battles and tried to skate through too many people. I thought his line showed some creativity but maybe I am expecting too much. Maybe I am weighing the negatives more but I noticed him on the ice for a few goals against...maybe he just is taking this camp lightly.

I did not notice Coyle at all.

Foucault was a beast, offensively at least. The guy has great hands.

Kuemper certainly did not live up to his junior year. He really looked bad in the shootout.

Hackett's experience last year was obvious. His two stops on Zucker's breakaway were great.

Zucker capitalized on his chances and I like his speed.

Phillips has the goal scorers touch. I really liked how he zoned in on the puck when Foucault made his nice pass. Also, I love how he stops at the net. He doesnt keep skating on the rush.

Scandella was great on the rush and won ever board battle I saw.

I liked some of Seeler but he got blow by a few times. But it is understandable since it is a higher level than what he is used to. Overall, I liked his game. Had some good outlet passes and had a blast on net.

I did not notice Brodin much. There was one time where he got the puck at the blueline, did a great back pedal to get into the middle and get a shot off. That back pedal reminded me of Lidstrom...but I am not kid myself into thinking that his what we drafted. I also liked his shot on the breakaway. But Kuemper made many guys look deadly.

Larsson looked good in the first half but not in the second. He seems to have above average everything. I like his wall play and think his style will fit the NHL type game.

I liked Genoway's goal but 3 guys, including Granlund, just watched him. It was hard to notice defenders since their numbers were not easily seen online. I heard Andresen say he stopped a few of the better players and also have read good things on here so that is good...

Can't wait to watch tomorrow.

Medvec had a nice bomb on his goal but he does not seem strong defensively.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:27 PM
forthewild

Zucker looked so good today, his speed and shot are just so much fun to watch, and he plays with some passion. would love to see Granlund center him and Coyle tomorrow... during the stream

will say one thing about Phillips and his skating, he seems to not move his feet as much as i expect him to, maybe thats one of the things thats really making his skating be questioned, and something i think he'll work on, but the way he played making moves, reading plays and he had that hunch of where to be which made me really happy.

Old
07-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Zucker played great. I have always thought of him as our second best offensive prospect after Granlund. Watching the scrimmage only confirmed my thoughts. I can't wait until he drops out of college haha

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:32 AM
lacrosseguy

cdn st john sea dogs fan

I posted a while ago, what it takes to win the Memorial Cup outside of Canada is vastly underappreciated........the philips kid is a stud..ive watched him multiple times in st john, and he is worth the price of admission..he was rated 9th by THE HOCKEY NEWS, and 13 by central scouting...........................you guys got the steal of the draft a year from now you will appreciate...

lacrosseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:06 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
I don't doubt it. The Burns trade keeps looking better and better. Seto, Coyle, and Philips. That is quite the package we got for Burns, even if he is one of the best defensemen in the league. Even better considering our organizational weaknesses in forwards and prospects.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:11 AM
BuddyMcCormick

#6 Macro Scandella - One of the Top 2 defensemen that played today. Has the ability to rush the puck form one end to the other. Sound defensively. Was a great idea to pair him with Seeler. Skating was fluid. Passes crisp and accurate. Would like him to shoot more.

#27 Cody Almond - Did not play.

#31 Matt Hackett - Easily the best goalie that played today. Positioning was sound. He didn't have a weak zone in his game. Challenging shooters in the shoot out.

#38 Nathan Burns -

#40 Jonas Brodin – The other of the Top 2 defensemen. Much what can be said about Scandella can be said about Brodin with the exception that he wasn’t as aggressive from the back end. His skating simply amazed me.

#42 Kris Fredheim -

#43 Chay Genoway -

#44 Dylan Busenius -

#45 Carson McMillan – Did not play.

#46 Jared Spurgeon – Did not play.

#47 Johan Larsson – Larsson didn’t woo me but I could see some of the hype surrounding this kid. He was flashy at all but rather very solid. Strong puck play. It was difficult for the White team to control the puck between Larsson and Granlund. Sound defensively.

#49 Derik Johnson -

#50 Johan Gustafsson – Did not play.

#51 Sam Lofquist –

#52 Justin Fontaine – Largely invisible throughout the whole scrimmage.

#53 Tyler Graovac –Did not play(?)

#54 Brett Bulmer – Did not play.

#56 Mario Lucia – For being one of the youngest players out there, the
kid impressed me. Big kid, not overly fast but not slow. Good hands. Can read plays pretty well. Big kid, can’t wait until he fills out.

#57 David Makowski –

#58 Kyle Thomas –

#59 Jason Zucker – Fast. Aggressive. This kid was everywhere. Threw
his body around a little bit which is a good sign for a smaller kid. He likes to shoot, has a good shot.

#60 Stephen Michalek – A high school goalie that played against higher competition. He impressed me for what it was. His reaction time looked good. Needs work on his positioning. If he can get that down I can see him being a solid pick.

#61 Zack Phillips – We all know he’s not going to blow past anyone, however his skating isn’t as atrocious as some mad eit out to be. Has a scorers touch. Good hard shot and pretty crisp passes. Always seemed to be in the right spot.

#62 J.T. Brown –

#63 Charlie Coyle – I didn’t notice him a whole lot, when I did he seemed to be creating space for Zucker.

#64 Mikael Granlund – I think we all saw what we expected to see out of him. Was able to control the play of the game with seemingly little effort. His passes were crisp and often caught his own teammates off guard. He did seem to lose board battles, not sure if it’s because of his size or that he seemed to be taking it as a pick-up game.

#65 Sean Lorenz – Did not play.

#67 Kyle Medvec – Huge kid. Above average shot. Above average passing. Appeared shaky on his skates. Wasn’t a defensive liability and contributed some on offense.

#68 Josh Caron –

#70 Darcy Kuemper – Looked pretty good during the game. Positioning and reactions were above par. The shootout was a whole nother monster for the kid. Such a big kid shouldn’t have problems glove side.

#71 Tyler Cuma – Did not play.

#72 Kris Foucault – Really impressed me. Slick hands. Good wheels. Wasn’t afraid to throw his body around.

#73 Joel Broda –

#74 Colton Jobke –

#75 Chad Rau –

#76 Nick Seeler – In general you could tell he was shaky but grew in confidence as the scrimmage continued. Had some good passes and a few good shots. Had trouble holding up against the older competition a couple times.

#77 David McIntyre -

#78 Jack Connolly – Was invisible to me for most of the scrimmage. Played 3rd fiddle to Granlund and Larsson.

#80 Carter Sandlak –

#81 Mike Kramer –

#82 Dylan Willick –

#83 Taylor Peters –

That's all I amassed from the scrimmage earlier today. It's pretty vague but I'm hoping to go to Sunday's and hopefully fill in the players I didn't get a decent look at and fill out more for the players I gave scouting above.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:43 AM
leoleo3535

You wern't impressed with Caron + Willick's play?

Caron scored, was physical....left to be sewn up, returned and was solid.

Willick was the only forward to play both zones and apply the body, backchecked like a dog chasing a car, undressed the goalie on a penalty shot only to hit the post and scored a hilite reel shootout goal 2nd only to Granlund's.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:56 AM
BuddyMcCormick

Who are you directing that towards? There were easily 30 kids out there to try to pay attention to, it's not hard to not notice them all. I guess Willick really didn't stand out to me until his shootout goal. Caron, the same.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:55 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
LOL @ Havlat breakaway speed

I'm telling you, Zucker-Coyle-Wellman

Actually I kind of would prefer Coyle at the RW and put a playmaker like a Granlund at center.

Great writeup, Nate.

Also, on Zucker's goal, I'll add he did this sick hesitation on his shot before releasing which caused the goalie to go down and then popped the water bottle. The kid is a gem.
Thanks. With all apologies to Larsson, a Coyle-Granlund pairing would be amazing to watch.

Old
07-17-2011, 10:21 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

How'd Seeler look considering where and what he's coming off of compared to the majority of the group?

I sort of have higher hopes for him than his draft position would otherwise suggest. Watched him in high school a bit, he does have a nice skill set. I do like his planned development route as well. I can see Blais rounding this kid into a player once he gets a hold of him.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:31 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
How'd Seeler look considering where and what he's coming off of compared to the majority of the group?

I sort of have higher hopes for him than his draft position would otherwise suggest. Watched him in high school a bit, he does have a nice skill set. I do like his planned development route as well. I can see Blais rounding this kid into a player once he gets a hold of him.
i thought he played well, had good mobility took some shots and moved the puck, was top pairing for green team.

Old
07-17-2011, 11:23 AM
urho

Hmm... Running a little late? I guess they don't put a stream-link on the homepage until the last minute?

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:49 AM
cenas*

Granlund is a bust.

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote