HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[CBJ/MTL] Mike Blunden for Ryan Russell (July 2011)

Old
07-09-2011, 06:46 PM
ScopeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Herein lies the problem. Martin doesn't play enforcers. Well I'm not talking about enforcers straight up (like Laraque/Gillies). I'm talking about players who have enforcer "abilities" (like Rupp/Mara). If the problem is Martin not wanting that to happen, then Martin and his mentality is the problem.

I think we're getting off-topic.
Martin plays guy who know how to play. Nothing wrong with that. Moen and White can both fight and play and they get ice time. If Blunden contributes and executes well he'll play too. We should be able to find players who can both fight from time to time and execute well enough to earn ice time under Martin.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
if they were killing off a 5-3 and he took the first penalty, got out of the box and then scored on, say, a breakaway or something along those lines it'd be a shorthanded goal and obviously not indicative of anything... which isnt to say you're necessarily wrong just that citing a shorty doesnt necessarily mean he spent much or statistically significant time in a PK role.
True. But the guy has multiple shorthanded goals in the AHL (at least 3), so that would be some kind of luck to get multiple opportunities like that. Since we're talking about special teams, it should also be noted that he has a bunch of powerplay goals down there, too, so he probably has more offensive potential than your typical Pyatt 4th line plugger, for example. Yet another reason I make the Knuble comparison.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
True. But the guy has multiple shorthanded goals in the AHL (at least 3), so that would be some kind of luck to get multiple opportunities like that. Since we're talking about special teams, it should also be noted that he has a bunch of powerplay goals down there, too, so he probably has more offensive potential than your typical Pyatt 4th line plugger, for example. Yet another reason I make the Knuble comparison.
Thinking about it now, Knuble is better comparison.

A poor man's Knuble would be great, but just being on the 4th line for that extra physical edge and a player who can drop the gloves if need be would be perfect.

Apparently a week ago, or so there was an article on nhl.com about Gauthier wanted to add size to the bottom 6.

Last edited by Analyzer: 07-09-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 09:04 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Blunden

A player of Blunden's ilk can hopefully continue to develop his hockey skills. He doesnt need to give Nathan Horton or Brad Marchand etc a licking he just needs to play very physical hockey.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 12:37 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Thinking about it now, Knuble is better comparison.

A poor man's Knuble would be great, but just being on the 4th line for that extra physical edge and a player who can drop the gloves if need be would be perfect.

Apparently a week ago, or so there was an article on nhl.com about Gauthier wanted to add size to the bottom 6.

Looks like he has a mean streak to him. I like.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Looks like he has a mean streak to him. I like.
What do you mean "looks like"? All I've been able to find is that he's a decently tough and physical guy that is willing to stick up for himself and teammates. I haven't seen mention of a "mean streak" at all.

Regardless, I'm kind of intrigued by this guy. By all reports, he hasn't come close to peaking yet, and had established himself on Springfield's 1st line this year until he hit a bit of inconsistency and then missed the last half of the season injured. I think we've acquired him right in time to see the years that really define his career path.

Old
07-10-2011, 02:08 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
What do you mean "looks like"? All I've been able to find is that he's a decently tough and physical guy that is willing to stick up for himself and teammates. I haven't seen mention of a "mean streak" at all.

Regardless, I'm kind of intrigued by this guy. By all reports, he hasn't come close to peaking yet, and had established himself on Springfield's 1st line this year until he hit a bit of inconsistency and then missed the last half of the season injured. I think we've acquired him right in time to see the years that really define his career path.
You've done alot of research on this, so I want to ask you why the jackets traded him for Russell, who will not be an nhl player.

it just seems like a strange deal with the way blunden has been talked about in here... OTOH, russell has no nhl potential.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:08 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
What stood out for me at the time was him in front of the net unhindered. (Toshiro, Are you responding to your own posts?)
It's okay that you do as long as you are posting in the first place.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:51 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
You've done alot of research on this, so I want to ask you why the jackets traded him for Russell, who will not be an nhl player.

it just seems like a strange deal with the way blunden has been talked about in here... OTOH, russell has no nhl potential.
I'm concerned that they know more about his injury than we do, and dressed up the trade in a Russell brothers reunion package. The weirdest part is that Blunden was a sign-and-trade, which doesn't seem to happen that much these days (and some around here have tried to claim never happen). Both he and Russell had come to the end of their contracts, so it's weird that Columbus would bother to sign him, just to trade him days later. Why not just let him go? Was it really part of the design to bring the other Russell into the organization? Is Russell really the best return they could have gotten from him, once signed? I know what you mean... there are some weird aspects to the deal; #1 being that it looks like a trade that we stand almost no chance of "losing", but also have the best chance of "winning", which is weird in its own right, lol.

But let's be clear about one thing: all I've been commenting on are his tools, potential, past roles, "comparisons", and the like. The reality is that he hasn't even been able to crack the Blue Jackets' NHL squad permanently over the past couple of years, so he's the farthest thing from a guarantee to fulfill any/all of our "expectations". Having said that, it's encouraging to hear that some believe he's not done developing. And in fact, we know that this tends to be the case with bigger players who try to find their path through physical/grinding roles. So, I guess we'll see. It's an interesting trade with absolutely zero risk, at the very least.

Old
07-10-2011, 04:20 AM
Marksman

Good deal for Habs. Hopefully he pans out better than Chipchura.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:55 AM
LeMAD

Blunden looks really bad, but Russell doesn't have NHL upside anyways.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I'm concerned that they know more about his injury than we do, and dressed up the trade in a Russell brothers reunion package. The weirdest part is that Blunden was a sign-and-trade, which doesn't seem to happen that much these days (and some around here have tried to claim never happen). Both he and Russell had come to the end of their contracts, so it's weird that Columbus would bother to sign him, just to trade him days later. Why not just let him go? Was it really part of the design to bring the other Russell into the organization? Is Russell really the best return they could have gotten from him, once signed? I know what you mean... there are some weird aspects to the deal; #1 being that it looks like a trade that we stand almost no chance of "losing", but also have the best chance of "winning", which is weird in its own right, lol.

But let's be clear about one thing: all I've been commenting on are his tools, potential, past roles, "comparisons", and the like. The reality is that he hasn't even been able to crack the Blue Jackets' NHL squad permanently over the past couple of years, so he's the farthest thing from a guarantee to fulfill any/all of our "expectations". Having said that, it's encouraging to hear that some believe he's not done developing. And in fact, we know that this tends to be the case with bigger players who try to find their path through physical/grinding roles. So, I guess we'll see. It's an interesting trade with absolutely zero risk, at the very least.
Maybe Columbus was looking to keep him and didn't think they'd get an offer for him, then bam.

Kind of like Setoguchi and Wilson.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

A few more (poor quality) videos showing Blunden's work in front of the net back in his junior days, including one (the second one) where our Yemelin low hit interferes with him, but he gets up and goes right to the net and ends up taking out the garbage:

http://video.blackhawks.nhl.com/vide...onsole?id=8488
http://video.blackhawks.nhl.com/vide...onsole?id=3481

Here's a post game interview I found interesting. Mentions that he has been tried at centre before (I partially discredited the Rupp comparison on C/W versatility, so I have to retract that a bit), and his confidence as a penalty killer:

http://www.videosurf.com/video/sept-...unden-93902209

Talking about plateauing and change of scenery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8P1NCg4hGA

Dr. Blunden operates: http://www.videosurf.com/video/stick-work-99380630

There are a few of his fight videos out there, but you really don't want to see him get handled by Stortini, Clowe, Konopka, etc, hehe.

Old
07-10-2011, 01:59 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Good deal for Habs. Hopefully he pans out better than Chipchura.
Even if he does, we still win the deal by a mile.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Andy

Kudos to Gauthier for what is shaping up to be a really decent pickup.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:22 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I looked quick and thought we traded Blunden?

Lol. Solid plugger!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

were did you dig this thread up from....page 254

excellent couple of weeks for him his earning ice time.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
holyhabs87

steal of the century

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Christ, here I thought we did this deal today.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I looked quick and thought we traded Blunden?

Lol. Solid plugger!
Haha, that's what I thought, was like why did we re-trade the same players again?

Theosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:37 PM
pine*

See ya, Blunden. Was nice knowing ya. Had a few good moments with us the past few games.

Welcome to Montreal, Russell!

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
See ya, Blunden. Was nice knowing ya. Had a few good moments with us the past few games.

Welcome to Montreal, Russell!
The habs didn't trade him, it's teh thread from the summer when we acquired him.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
were did you dig this thread up from....page 254

excellent couple of weeks for him his earning ice time.

Seriously? I mean...seriously? WTF

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

We traded a guy who's scored on every shot he's taken in the NHL, Gauthier.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:42 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Christ, here I thought we did this deal today.
me too

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote