HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[CBJ/MTL] Mike Blunden for Ryan Russell (July 2011)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2011, 11:23 PM
  #176
Jamie Thomas
Registered User
 
Jamie Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,307
vCash: 50
Nice low risk move. Blunden probably doesn't have much upside other than a 4th line winger with size, something this team clearly doesn't have in excess, but I'm pretty sure that Russel was nowhere in the plans of the team. I do think Blunden should start the year in the AHL, and I really hope this is not the solution to the lack of toughness in the bottom lines. Would not be surprised if it was the case though, PG doesn't seem a big fan of anything that can drop the gloves and bring respect in the line up. Still hoping Winchester remains a target. I probably should not hold my breath for that.

Jamie Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:30 PM
  #177
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
No lose type of deal.
Big body? = check
Likes to hit? = check
Can skate decent for a 4th liner? = check
Not adverse to dropping the gloves? = check

That's fine as a fourth liner for me. As long as he shows, in time, to be responsible defensively, I will take that over Tom Pyatt any day of the week.
I'd take me over Pyatt and I can barely skate. But I will fight anyone!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:31 PM
  #178
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 28,587
vCash: 50
I love his name.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:51 PM
  #179
Physical HABuse
Registered User
 
Physical HABuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
I won't say he will make the team for sure. However, big guys who hit and who consistently go to the net at the NHL level....can make for a long career. Even if they don't score the goals...every teams needs guys like that. They screen....they wear down goalies.....they change momentum in games......they often make the team better.

Physical HABuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:54 PM
  #180
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Can anyone remind of these games where the Sabres and Pens pushed us around?
My God man, are you so accustomed to seeing the Habs pushed around that it does not stick in your memory?

Canadiens' Pacioretty, Cammelleri, Halpern out with injuries.

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011

First, they lost winger Michael Cammalleri early in the first period with a separated left shoulder when he was checked from behind by Mike Weber and landed hard in the boards. Weber received a 2-min minor penalty for cross-checking on the play. The injury will likely keep Cammalleri out of the lineup for 4-6 weeks.

Finally, center Jeff Halpern likely suffered a separated shoulder and a mild concussion when he was checked on the head by pesky forward Patrick Kaleta. Kaleta was handed a 2-min minor penalty for boarding on the play.

http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/slasher98/29928/

And if you want to check the Boxscore for that game, you will notice that neither Mike Weber nor Patrick Kaleta had to fight any Canadien player in that game after removing both Cammy and Halpern from the game.


Nice post.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:56 PM
  #181
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Thomas View Post
Nice low risk move. Blunden probably doesn't have much upside other than a 4th line winger with size, something this team clearly doesn't have in excess, but I'm pretty sure that Russel was nowhere in the plans of the team. I do think Blunden should start the year in the AHL, and I really hope this is not the solution to the lack of toughness in the bottom lines. Would not be surprised if it was the case though, PG doesn't seem a big fan of anything that can drop the gloves and bring respect in the line up. Still hoping Winchester remains a target. I probably should not hold my breath for that.
Signing Moen(I know it was a Gainey signing)
Trading to get Mara back
Calling up White

have all proven otherwise.

I think Gauthier doesn't get guys who drop the gloves because I think the only fighters he wants are those who can actually play hockey and these are actually pretty hard to come by because the teams that have them don't want to give them up. There are a couple of decent ones on the market as you have pointed out like Winchester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
My God man, are you so accustomed to seeing the Habs pushed around that it does not stick in your memory?

Canadiens' Pacioretty, Cammelleri, Halpern out with injuries.

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011

First, they lost winger Michael Cammalleri early in the first period with a separated left shoulder when he was checked from behind by Mike Weber and landed hard in the boards. Weber received a 2-min minor penalty for cross-checking on the play. The injury will likely keep Cammalleri out of the lineup for 4-6 weeks.

Finally, center Jeff Halpern likely suffered a separated shoulder and a mild concussion when he was checked on the head by pesky forward Patrick Kaleta. Kaleta was handed a 2-min minor penalty for boarding on the play.

http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/slasher98/29928/

And if you want to check the Boxscore for that game, you will notice that neither Mike Weber nor Patrick Kaleta had to fight any Canadien player in that game after removing both Cammy and Halpern from the game.


Nice post.
Game 4 Boston Vs Philly...Giroux aims for Begeron's head(Bergeron gets concussion). Boston a team with many enforcers and fighters didn't prevent that play.

Game 3, Boston vs Vancouver...Rome levels Horton with a controversial hit. Boston a team with many enfornces and fighters didn't prevent that play.

Habs vs Islanders, Pacioretty boards Eaton. Habs have no enforces, Islanders do. The Islanders enforces did not prevent Pacioretty from committing that play. Or in other words: The habs having no enforces to face those on the Islanders did not deter Pacioretty from committing such a hit.

Habs Vs Boston. Wisniewski boards Peverley. Habs have no enforces, Bruins do. The Bruins enforcers did not prevent/deter Wisniewski from committing that play. Or in other words: The habs having no enforces to face those on the Bruins did not deter Wisniewski from committing such a hit.



Now the point of this is not to say that we don't need a couple of meaner players on the bottom 6 because as I have stated many times...we do. What it is trying to say is that your argument isn't as clearcut as you think. In other words...I don't think the cause of these plays/injuries were the result of the fact that a team had or didn't have players who could fight back. Which is essentially the premise of your post(at least that is what it appears to be)...that if the Habs had enforcers, these players would not have been injured because the players who injured them, would have avoided doing so in fear of retaliation.


Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-08-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: merged
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:38 AM
  #182
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Signing Moen(I know it was a Gainey signing)
Trading to get Mara back
Calling up White

have all proven otherwise.

I think Gauthier doesn't get guys who drop the gloves because I think the only fighters he wants are those who can actually play hockey and these are actually pretty hard to come by because the teams that have them don't want to give them up. There are a couple of decent ones on the market as you have pointed out like Winchester.


I love how the Gauthier/Martin apologists spin a story to fit their playbook.

How many games did Mara play in during the Bruins series? And arent the Bruins the toughest team in the League?

ONE. Mara was in one game. Game 6 and we actually won that one. Mara is a bottom DMan and I was shocked that we brought him back. And I was shocked again at how steady his play was and how willing he was to stand up for his teammates.

And for that, he got in one game against Boston. Proved how much toughness is respected by Martin (Gauthier by default), eh? Sorta like Martin press boxing O'Byrne against the Flyers the previous playoff year.

Thanks for the laugh.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:40 AM
  #183
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
#CBJ close to a trade that would send RW Mike Blunden to Montreal for minor-league F Ryan Russell, twin brother of Kris Russell.

Discuss.

Discuss?

This ain't exactly Front Page News!

What is there to discuss?



Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:41 AM
  #184
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 23,408
vCash: 500
Wow, Blunden eh? That's a name I haven't thought about since he, Latendresse, and Chipchura played on that WJC team together. Gotta say, I like the trade. Even if it only ever affects Hamilton, I think we ended up with the bigger AND better player out of the deal. Fairly tough, but doesn't take a whole lot of penalties, and has a big shot, I think. I can't think of a single criticism for the exchange, and that's saying something for me, lol.

edit: Just went back and looked him up. Forgot that Pyatt, Pouliot, and Boyd also played on that team. Gauthier is collecting the set! Dubnyk for backup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
No lose type of deal.
Big body? = check
Likes to hit? = check
Can skate decent for a 4th liner? = check
Not adverse to dropping the gloves? = check

That's fine as a fourth liner for me. As long as he shows, in time, to be responsible defensively, I will take that over Tom Pyatt any day of the week.
That might take a bit of time. Apparently that's a large part of what has kept him from cracking Columbus' roster permanently. Could be one of those cases where the size and skill aren't necessarily lacking, but maybe hockey sense/awareness is. Oh well. It's not like you have to be Merlin on skates to be effective in bottom 6 roles, be it AHL or NHL.


Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-08-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: merged
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:48 AM
  #185
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Game 4 Boston Vs Philly...Giroux aims for Begeron's head(Bergeron gets concussion). Boston a team with many enforcers and fighters didn't prevent that play.

Game 3, Boston vs Vancouver...Rome levels Horton with a controversial hit. Boston a team with many enfornces and fighters didn't prevent that play.

Habs vs Islanders, Pacioretty boards Eaton. Habs have no enforces, Islanders do. The Islanders enforces did not prevent Pacioretty from committing that play. Or in other words: The habs having no enforces to face those on the Islanders did not deter Pacioretty from committing such a hit.

Habs Vs Boston. Wisniewski boards Peverley. Habs have no enforces, Bruins do. The Bruins enforcers did not prevent/deter Wisniewski from committing that play. Or in other words: The habs having no enforces to face those on the Bruins did not deter Wisniewski from committing such a hit.



Now the point of this is not to say that we don't need a couple of meaner players on the bottom 6 because as I have stated many times...we do. What it is trying to say is that your argument isn't as clearcut as you think. In other words...I don't think the cause of these plays/injuries were the result of the fact that a team had or didn't have players who could fight back. Which is essentially the premise of your post(at least that is what it appears to be)...that if the Habs had enforcers, these players would not have been injured because the players who injured them, would have avoided doing so in fear of retaliation.
I thought out a nice long response to this but decided why bother since you keep bringing up the "enforcers dont stop injuries" canard. No one, and I mean no one, is STUPID enough to believe what you are trying to project on what I and other people are really saying with regard to team toughness.

So I will leave you with this. If you keep on taking it, people will keep on giving it to you.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:05 AM
  #186
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I thought out a nice long response to this but decided why bother since you keep bringing up the "enforcers dont stop injuries" canard. No one, and I mean no one, is STUPID enough to believe what you are trying to project on what I and other people are really saying with regard to team toughness.

So I will leave you with this. If you keep on taking it, people will keep on giving it to you.
post 180 shows otherwise

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:07 AM
  #187
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,175
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Guys I know it's summer, but don't over analyze it or AHL him also. If he works hard in training camp he has just as great a chance as anyone, He has experience & is willing to fight. We could use him on the 4-6 mins lines-12 Vs Boston.

I think he's a little more than Main Street/Hamilton bound, he can be a Hab. If he wants to be...He's on the right track! "Let's see what he does with Op"

Sure "YouTube" Many guys lose fights to Clowe, but how many fight Clowe because they care.


Last edited by Player 61: 07-08-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:10 AM
  #188
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
post 180 shows otherwise
Nice. You are on the canard bandwagon also.

But you know what I meant. Cammy gets hurt, nothing is done to Weber. Halpern gets hurt, nothing is done to Kaleta.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:25 AM
  #189
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 23,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Guys I know it's summer, but don't over analyze it or AHL him also. If he works hard in training camp he has just as great a chance as anyone, He has experience & is willing to fight. We could use him on the 4-6 mins lines-12 Vs Boston.

I think he's a little more than Main Street/Hamilton bound, he can be a Hab. If he wants to be...He's on the right track! "Let's see what he does with Op"

Sure "YouTube" Many guys lose fights to Clowe, but how many fight Clowe because they care.
Not actually true, but I know what you're saying.

I guess you never know how a guy is going to take to a new coach/system. Maybe he's able to make the next step if he fits in. My expectations for him are pretty low; like, a very poor man's Knuble (fairly big and tough, but not undisciplined or an enforcer, hard worker with a good shot and decent scoring touch around the net, but rarely thought of in terms of his creativity with/without the puck or his defensive contribution). There's no doubt that guys like that are able to earn NHL ice time, but this guy either needs a bit of work, or a system that suits him better.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:26 AM
  #190
1UP
Registered User
 
1UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Great move for the Habs and for the twins. Everybody's happy.

Blunden still has an outside chance at a grinder NHL career. You never know when you'll need some beef.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:45 AM
  #191
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Nice. You are on the canard bandwagon also.

But you know what I meant. Cammy gets hurt, nothing is done to Weber. Halpern gets hurt, nothing is done to Kaleta.
funny thing is, the simple thought of saying something like this in my face would make you cringe


Bergeron gets hurt, nothing is done to Jones, Savard gets hurt, nothing is done to Cooke (Yeah yeah, a hug fest as revenge, wow the toughness), Happens to Horton, nothing...


happens to us we're pansies... happens to the "toughest team in the league, and suddenly those examples are somewhat irrelevant...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:47 AM
  #192
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Nice. You are on the canard bandwagon also.

But you know what I meant. Cammy gets hurt, nothing is done to Weber. Halpern gets hurt, nothing is done to Kaleta.
Boy, are you gonna love Conboy.

I think you could pet his dog and he'd beat you to a pulp.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:29 AM
  #193
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,105
vCash: 500
the name sounds very familiar... did he play on the national jr team a few years ago?

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:06 AM
  #194
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
I'd take me over Pyatt and I can barely skate. But I will fight anyone!
Sure you would darling.

Difference between you and Pyatt is he took his beating like a man, spitting blood and all he went to the bench like nothing happened. played the following game against the same B the exact same way, didnt change a thing.

while after the first punch, you'd be cryin' to your mommy

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:12 AM
  #195
sandman08
Registered User
 
sandman08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hyderabad, India
Country: India
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
funny thing is, the simple thought of saying something like this in my face would make you cringe


Bergeron gets hurt, nothing is done to Jones, Savard gets hurt, nothing is done to Cooke (Yeah yeah, a hug fest as revenge, wow the toughness), Happens to Horton, nothing...


happens to us we're pansies... happens to the "toughest team in the league, and suddenly those examples are somewhat irrelevant...
Your example of fallacy in an argument is completely way off base and wrong given it doesnt fit the argument or help the other side of said argument. For shame. You should be warned or banned for such egregious behavior.


Last edited by sandman08: 07-08-2011 at 05:18 AM.
sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:23 AM
  #196
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
That might take a bit of time. Apparently that's a large part of what has kept him from cracking Columbus' roster permanently. Could be one of those cases where the size and skill aren't necessarily lacking, but maybe hockey sense/awareness is. Oh well. It's not like you have to be Merlin on skates to be effective in bottom 6 roles, be it AHL or NHL.
Problem is that people underestimate how big the difference is between "barely adequate defensively" and "Tom Pyatt level of defensive play".

Think of it this way. The barely adequate guy is to be somewhat trusted going out there for 5 minutes per game playing against fourth liners. Tom Pyatt can be fully trusted to play 15 minutes per game against scorers as strong as Ovechkin or Crosby and find his line rarely scored against.

It is really, really too bad that most fans in Montreal did not appreciate the vastness of this difference or the value of Pyatt's defensive contributions, and even more unfortunate that the coach fell victim to the same sense of desperation as some fans for "more size" or "better scoring" from that roster spot in the second half of last year. The Habs' record when Pyatt was sat out in favour of a 4th/5th liner on our roster was well under .500 while their record when he played was almost .700, which is not a complete coincidence!

I have nothing at all against the trade of Russell for Blunden, since Russell was VERY far from ready to make the Habs team, but if folks think that Blunden will be an upgrade on Pyatt, they will be disappointed. I think Pierre Gauthier must still remain active on the market for another forward, and he has the money for someone that will be much more impactful than a Mike Blunden.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:27 AM
  #197
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
Your example of fallacy in an argument is completely way off base and wrong given it doesnt fit the argument or help the other side of said argument. For shame. You should be warned or banned for such egregious behavior.
haha, easy on me, too many words I dont understand... and babelfish isnt helping me much in this case

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:40 AM
  #198
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 500
Blundell as well as Willsie are AHL jersey's fillers. No more. Period.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:46 AM
  #199
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Blundell as well as Willsie are AHL jersey's fillers. No more. Period.
AHL jersey fillers sometimes turn into NHL contributors if injuries hit. It's good to have guys that can come up and contribute.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:53 AM
  #200
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,503
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
the name sounds very familiar... did he play on the national jr team a few years ago?
Yes he did 2005-06, he even scored 2 goals in the finals against Russia

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.