HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will This Be Sean Avery's Last Season As A Ranger?

Old
07-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
It shouldn't be a question of whether or not this will be his last season because he should be done after this past season. Avery serves no purpose on this squad. In fact, he serves no purpose on any NHL squad. He is AHL fodder. Can't keep giving players ample opportunities to succeed, Sean's had his shots. Whether or not he's been "affected by the refs or Torts" has nothing to do with it. The underlying fact: Torts is the coach and is staying, which means buh-bye Avery.

Can't envision Torts playing that bum.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:57 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I might dispute that Avery is terribly overrated as well. I think most people recognize him for the third line player that he is. People just love his persona.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:59 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Haha, and there you have the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of over/underrating a player.

Old
07-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
I might dispute that Avery is terribly overrated as well. I think most people recognize him for the third line player that he is. People just love his persona.
What persona? Haven't seen a single act of agitation since the days of the Marty Brodeur taunt. Even then, it was funny, but hardly all that effective. When you consider the negatives that surround him, it's equatable to Scott Gomez. For every positive Sean Avery brings (which is nothing these days), he brings twice as many negatives. No point.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
What persona? Haven't seen a single act of agitation since the days of the Marty Brodeur taunt. Even then, it was funny, but hardly all that effective. When you consider the negatives that surround him, it's equatable to Scott Gomez. For every positive Sean Avery brings (which is nothing these days), he brings twice as many negatives. No point.
People like that he's a "bad boy." They like him drilling Smid, they like him pantomiming tears to other players, they like the incredulous way he looks at the referees. They find him entertaining.

It's just pain.
Old
07-09-2011, 12:05 PM
chosen

Quote:
People are calling him effective. Effective players don't go offsides more than all the rest of his teammates. They don't implode in big playoff spots like he did against Washington. They don't disappear for long periods of time.

About once every five or ten games he plays really well and it makes you wonder where that player is the rest of the time. Usually fans despise inconsistency and love guys who bring it every night, like Callahan. Yet, some fans will overlook his consistently inconsistent play and continue to live with an imaginary, romantic view of Avery, becaue they like his "persona".

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
People like that he's a "bad boy." They like him drilling Smid, they like him pantomiming tears to other players, they like the incredulous way he looks at the referees. They find him entertaining.
I find winning entertaining, and Avery's presence in the lineup hardly helps those odds, while probably hurting them. I'm not saying what people should or should not like, but ultimately, the team winning is of the most importance, not the players personalities, who they sleep with, what they say, etc. If Avery was an effective player, I'd like him as a player. He simply isn't effective.

It's a business. Chris Drury buyout was business. Letting go of Matt Gilroy is business. Sean Avery being sent to the AHL should be just as high of a priority as those two things, just as examples of the past month.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
People are calling him effective. Effective players don't go offsides more than all the rest of his teammates. They don't implode in big playoff spots like he did against Washington. They don't disappear for long periods of time.

About once every five or ten games he plays really well and it makes you wonder where that player is the rest of the time. Usually fans despise inconsistency and love guys who bring it every night, like Callahan. Yet, some fans will overlook his consistently inconsistent play and continue to live with an imaginary, romantic view of Avery, becaue they like his "persona".
He wasn't effective last year, and people would be wrong to claim that he was.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I find winning entertaining, and Avery's presence in the lineup hardly helps those odds, while probably hurting them. I'm not saying what people should or should not like, but ultimately, the team winning is of the most importance, not the players personalities, who they sleep with, what they say, etc. If Avery was an effective player, I'd like him as a player. He simply isn't effective.

It's a business. Chris Drury buyout was business. Letting go of Matt Gilroy is business. Sean Avery being sent to the AHL should be just as high of a priority as those two things, just as examples of the past month.
You honestly place Gilroy and Avery on the same level as Drury, as far as being a detriment to the team? That's just absurd.

Avery is a third line player that will probably be a healthy scratch for half of the season. Then he'll be gone. He's a non-issue at this point.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I feel like some are still looking at the 2007 Avery here. He's not even half as effective as he was then.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
I would be shocked if Avery was brought back here next year. We are running out of spots in the line-up, and it seems that his time on Broadway has just about run out.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:53 PM
chip chipperson*

what some avery haters will never get, is that avery supporters recognize that last year was disappointing (even though he was among the leaders for assists). the pro avery crowd like myself also believe that at least some of the blame goes on torts. he was great under renney and stinks under torts. put 2 and 2 together people. he took a penalty in the 3rd period with a 3 or 4 goal lead and then was scratched the next couple games. give him normal minutes, and when he takes a penalty dont scratch him for a dozen games.

people want him to be the aggitator of old, but with aggitation comes penalties. and when avery takes a penalty, he gets scratched. he is handcuffed. torts needs to be open minded.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:13 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
hardly all that effective? rediculous. he took one of the "all time great goalies" off his game and that was harldy effective? how ever you feel about him now, dont go back and downplay how great he was during that series. and the atlanta series. funny how we have 2 playoff series wins in 11 years and avery was the mvp of both. but according to you he was hardly effective. its not even a matter of opinion, you are flat out wrong.

Last edited by chip chipperson*: 07-09-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old
07-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I see things from both sides. I still have that idea of Avery as a great agitator. Love him for it. I see him now as just another player. 50/50 on him.

My opinion may go in circles.

I'm a fan of his, but if we let Avery loose, it won't be a big deal. I can't see it hurting the team. He's just a fan favorite 3rd/4th liner gone anyway, as of right now. I wouldn't even be upset or even close to how disappointed I was when he left after the 08 season because of who he was for the teams prior.

Yes, he's not very good under Torts, but he has had his moments where it did us some good.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Avery to get back to how he used to be and I really hope he does because he can be a vital force that gets our boys going. No doubt about that. Just as of now, he's another grinder that isn't playing up to his reputation whether it's Tortorella having a say about it or not.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
people want him to be the aggitator of old, but with aggitation comes penalties. and when avery takes a penalty, he gets scratched. he is handcuffed. torts needs to be open minded.
I can see this side of it.

The other side I can see (just speculation like Torts having Avery on a leash and telling him not to do this or that) is what if Torts is telling him to do his job of agitating and stirring the up **** without being completely stupid and taking penalties.

And maybe Avery just doesn't know how to roll with that.

It's both the player and the coach for Avery not being who he is, in my opinion.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:44 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I can see this side of it.

The other side I can see (just speculation like Torts having Avery on a leash and telling him not to do this or that) is what if Torts is telling him to do his job of agitating and stirring the up **** without being completely stupid and taking penalties.

And maybe Avery just doesn't know how to roll with that.

It's both the player and the coach for Avery not being who he is, in my opinion.
i see what you are saying, but this is why i disagree. as i said before we were at home, 3rd period with a 3 or 4 goal lead. avery aggitates, takes a penalty and torts flipped out. again 3 or 4 goal lead. if torts is pissed about that ok i can understand although i disagree. but was that the end of it? no, because avery was then scratched for what seems like forever. i like torts, but i think he needs to change his attitude about avery.

Old
07-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Garden Mystique

vCash: 566
I hope he's gone after this year....

Garden Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:03 PM
AXN

Prospal was better than him. It is Woski or Avery or an injury. If Wolski steps up his game then Avery will be a healthy scratch. I would not be surprised if one of them was traded or bought out.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Prospal got spoon fed power play time and got to play with our premier players. I don't want him back.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Vitto79

I would be pretty surprised to see EC, Avery, Feds, Wolkski back next yr...........They are fine depth guys for this year but I am hoping Hagelin, Zuccarello can impress and secure spots this yr and for sure next.

Kreider and Thomas are wild cards next yr. Many fans will hope 1 or both can make the jump. Yes I don't see Thomas getting a spot and they are not going to rush the kid

Depth in the minors is strong assuming vets keep spots and call up options are the below. BTW fantastic lines in CT

Hagelin, Kolarik, Zuccarello,
Mitchell, Newbury, Weise,
Bourque, Yogan, Thurreson

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:47 PM
chip chipperson*

feds is already signed

Old
07-09-2011, 04:34 PM
gotmonte

to be honest. I wish he wouldnt even get THIS season to make his last.

I am sure we wont, but I would LOVE for the Rangers to just buy him out with the second window of opportunity we have.

Its not because he cant play. Its because the league wont LET HIM PLAY. The guy has to squeeze his stick each time he is on the ice. Has to think before he hits someone because the league has this "hard-on" for him and love to call penalty after penalty on him

He is a sparkplug that is firing like the gap is too wide. He needs to be able to be aggressive and when it can, he gets the crowd pumped up, his teamates pumped up, and most importantly himself pumped up and then you watch the goals being scored by him.

He is good for 20 goals a year IF HE CAN PLAY THE WAY HE LIKES TO. When he has to police himself AND the league is policing him, he stinks.

So unless the league has a new heartfelt warming for him (which is not happening) he needs to go.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:42 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
to be honest. I wish he wouldnt even get THIS season to make his last.

I am sure we wont, but I would LOVE for the Rangers to just buy him out with the second window of opportunity we have.

Its not because he cant play. Its because the league wont LET HIM PLAY. The guy has to squeeze his stick each time he is on the ice. Has to think before he hits someone because the league has this "hard-on" for him and love to call penalty after penalty on him

He is a sparkplug that is firing like the gap is too wide. He needs to be able to be aggressive and when it can, he gets the crowd pumped up, his teamates pumped up, and most importantly himself pumped up and then you watch the goals being scored by him.

He is good for 20 goals a year IF HE CAN PLAY THE WAY HE LIKES TO. When he has to police himself AND the league is policing him, he stinks.

So unless the league has a new heartfelt warming for him (which is not happening) he needs to go.
Let's not forget that the refs' attitude towards him didn't come out of thin air. He brought it upon himself.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:22 PM
xxxZENxxx

I feel bad for Avery, because this might be his last year in the NHL... period, given his past history.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 01:13 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

He most definitely won't be back even if he has a great season. Not sure he should considering the emergence of some or all of the following left wings by next year: Wolski, Zuccarello, Hagelin and Kreider, in addition to Dubinsky and Rupp already having two of the four LW spots locked up.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote