HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Blisters and how I can solve them?

Old
07-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Bambi Legs

vCash: 500
Blisters and how I can solve them?

Hey guys, I just recently bought some skates. I've probably skated 20 hours on them or so and they feel great for the most part.

The problem is the blisters I get on the inside of the arch of my foot. I have been trying all kinds of things to fix it (bandaids, zinc athletic tape, moleskin, 2nd skin, different layers of socks, etc.) I am wearing Bauer X4.0 size 12 and I'm using Easton skate socks. Every time I skate it is usually for 2 hours or so and it is free skating. My feet get bad blisters every time.

Could it be because my feet sweat a ton and it is causing friction? Would getting that area of the boot punched out help because I am flat foot and I think the arch is pushing into my foot?
If you have any suggestions please let me know. I've had terrible luck with skates so far and I love this pair, but I'm constrained by the size of my foot (14 US) in what skates I can get.

Here is a picture to give you an idea of where I get wear on my feet:

Thanks a lot!

Bambi Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:36 PM
CGNY87

I have the same problem if I need up playing for more than 3 hours at a time. So if I am planning on playing more than one game I find it helps to completely remove the skates in between games. I adjust my socks (feet socks) and let my feet breathe a little bit. I still have a little soreness in the area but it usually doesn't blister.

But if it is only from skating for about 2 hours then take them to your local hockey store and see if they will punch that area out a little

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:03 PM
jazz4all

i just got the same problem last month. it's already happened twice.
to solve it, for me, i tighten my skates (not too tight but snug enough to keep my foot in place) whenever it becomes a bit loose. use wax or new laces might help.

hope that can help

jazz4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:21 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Blisters are caused by rubbing. Which means that you need to stop the rubbing.

Additional padding like moleskin prevents the rubbing from hitting your skin. It's still rubbing. Thicker socks often serve the opposite effect of what you want. The extra thickness and cushion keeps your leg moving around.

I would tighten the upper half of your skate and see if the trouble persists. Wear a reasonable sock without too much cushion, and made out of a synthetic.

Forefoot snugish, ankle tight. And how sure are you of your shoe/skate size? Are you one of those people who just slides an oversized sneaker on? I'm inclined to trust you because the skate size is different from the sneaker size, usually a sign of somebody getting fitted, and the relative giantess of the feet, but it's a standard question I ask with skate concerns.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:24 PM
LyNX27

I skate for 8 hours sometimes on the lake... No blisters. Should bake your skates to make sure they fit right on all parts of the foot. Blisters are generally caused by the part of the boot rubbing on the foot for an elongated amount of time and rubbing the skin so it stretches. Try gauzing/ placing a bandaid over the area which has been rubbed raw (works best on ankle and heal). Other ways of helping include tying the skates tighter, thicker socks.

From the picture you put up, it looks like the boot is a tight fit on your ankle, or its too loose and your rubbing up too hard on that side when you change direction/rotate.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 01:38 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I had blisters at first in the exact same spot. Now I can't say for sure that it wasn't just my skates breaking in, but once I switched to the Bauer Vapor socks I stopped get the blisters. They hold very tight to your foot and the outside is almost slippery. This allows your foot to move a little bit in the skate as oppsed to your sock moving around and rubbing on your skin. I would recommend these to anyone. They are a little pricey ($17) but worth it IMO.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:18 PM
joonkol

Try putting your feet in a plastic bag and then wear your skates.

I learned this from my friend. I had really bad blisters from roller blades and ice skates. Been doing this for more than 10 years. Not had a blister since.

joonkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:52 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Try a pair of hiking/backpacking socks made of synthetic material. They wick moisture away from the skin and reduce friction, hopefully leading to less blisters. And add a bit of comfort. I've done this ever since I started and never had a blister, even though I otherwise tend to blister easily doing stuff like backpacking.

Hiker's/army trick, haven't tried it myself so can't offer personal experience. Put on socks and then rub a bar of soap over the trouble spots. The soap will protect against friction.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:05 PM
AIREAYE

Your arch is pushing out into the boot?

Get Superfeet, your arch will be in it's natural position and not pushing out into the sides.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:57 AM
jazz4all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Your arch is pushing out into the boot?

Get Superfeet, your arch will be in it's natural position and not pushing out into the sides.
i thought superfeet is for normal-high arches.

jazz4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:20 AM
JaeTM

I had a game yesterday and my skates are pretty new and I got 2 blisters on the insides of my ankles. Had another game today and it hurt so badly to skate. I have another game on Monday. Any ideas on what to do to heal them quickly? I've basically just been putting Neosporin on them frequently.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:28 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4all View Post
i thought superfeet is for normal-high arches.
Its less effective on flat arches but it will still help your skates fit snugger, decreasing friction and blisters.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:16 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
Its less effective on flat arches but it will still help your skates fit snugger, decreasing friction and blisters.
It's not about fit, but about reforming your foot to it's natural arched position, which would indeed reduce the occurrence of blisters in the arch area.

W/o Superfeet, your foot splays out and you lose that arch. It's that splayed out part of your outer foot/arch area that is rubbing against the boot.

I would recommend rebaking your current skates (without any insoles in them when baking) and putting in appropriately sized Superfeet after they come out of the oven (trimmed of course) and just like you would when you first bought them, sit in them for 10 minutes or so.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote