HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers re-sign Michael Sauer (2 years, $1.25M per)

Old
07-08-2011, 11:25 AM
turcotte8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Just Dubi and Cally to go

Get em tied up Slats
Boyle too.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:34 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Boyle too.
I hope they sign Boyle to a longer deal too, although I'm not sure he will go for it. I think he has the potential and work-ethic to be a perennial top PKer and 20 goal scorer.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I hope they sign Boyle to a longer deal too, although I'm not sure he will go for it. I think he has the potential and work-ethic to be a perennial top PKer and 20 goal scorer.
I have a hard time seeing him scoring 20 goals again. Especially when he's likely to be seeing 4th line minutes at even strength. If you pay him based on last year, and then significantly reduce his time, that's a recipe for disappointment IMO.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:14 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Another great deal. Glad to see him signed. Great value on the contract too. A tad less then I thought he'd sign for. This leaves plenty of room for Cally, Dubi and Boyle.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:30 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I have a hard time seeing him scoring 20 goals again. Especially when he's likely to be seeing 4th line minutes at even strength. If you pay him based on last year, and then significantly reduce his time, that's a recipe for disappointment IMO.
boyle will take a short term deal because he has to prove that last year was a fluke, and he can become a UFA next summer so makes little sense for him to lock himself up long term if he is confident that last year wasn't a fluke...

that really is the million $$ question...do you think that last year was a fluke? or was it a big, former 1st rounder that took some time to develop and busted his behind and finally had a breakout year?

if you think its a fluke, then you should probably try to trade him before other teams realize it...if you don't think its a fluke than regardless of salary he'll be too good for the 4th line so you need to either find him a spot for him in the top 9 or he becomes a trade chip.

i think this year he won't get 4th line minutes. i think due to our lack of depth on wings, that the boyle-prust line will actually be the 3rd line on most nights...but this is why i like the idea of trying boyle on LW. not necessarily right now. but long term i think he fits into the top 9 better that way.

sorry for going off topic...back to sauer being awesome

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:00 PM
skroob**

Quote:
12-15g, 15a next year for Boyle and i will be happy.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:10 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
I agree, he averaged 15 minutes a game last season and I'd be shocked if he plays that much this year. Also, if Feds no longer plays on that line, I think the dynamic of that line changes a bit and they won't score as much (which is fine for a 4th line, last year their minutes were more reflective of a 3rd line).

I'm hoping he gets locked up before arbitration because he is in danger of being overpaid if it gets to that point. I'm sure Slats will get something hammered out soon.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Actually a little lower than what i was expecting him to get. Good signing.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
eco's bones

Mike was a bit under what I thought as well. I was figuring $1.5 mil. So this is a pretty good deal for the Rangers. Mike was really solid last year from start to finish. Keeps his positions--plays hard and physical but isn't constantly being penalized. He makes good, smart pinches. I don't think he'll ever be a big point producer but he might be able to get into the 25 range.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Mike was a bit under what I thought as well. I was figuring $1.5 mil. So this is a pretty good deal for the Rangers. Mike was really solid last year from start to finish. Keeps his positions--plays hard and physical but isn't constantly being penalized. He makes good, smart pinches. I don't think he'll ever be a big point producer but he might be able to get into the 25 range.
Ideally Sauer would be a 3rd pairing defenseman for us with regular PK minutes. Once some of our other kids start their careers i think thats what'll happen.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
he reminds me a little bit of Richard Matvichuk when he was with the Stars. steady defensively and not too flashy..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Sauer reminds me of a RICH MAN's Colin White. Great defensively, nasty edge to his game, similar stride, but can jump into the play and read the game in the offensive zone much better than White.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:02 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

as expected, they probably were waiting to get Sauer signed so they could announce his signing with AA's simultaneously.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
Good jobs Slats. $1.25M seems a little bit less than I expected, but of course I'll take it.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Same was said about MDZ after his rookie year. Who knows... sophomores are troublesome often.
Apples and oranges. Del Zotto was not waiver eligible last year (and he isn't this coming season either). Sauer either stays with the big club or gets traded; he would have to pass through waivers to be sent to the AHL--and there's no way I can see that happening, he's graduated from that level of play.

It's a good contract--Sauer earned it. Now he has to go out and prove he can continue to progress as an NHL defenseman.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If he continues to grow he might garner 3 mil his next deal.

If he stays the level he is at now it might be closer to 2.

Still, a lot better for the kid then AHL money. I was sure he'd crack it and make an NHL team very surprised and happy, I just didn't think that it'd be with the Rangers. Tortorella is smarter than I gave him credit for.
Michael Sauer has terrific defensive instincts who had the misfortune of chronic injuries earlier in his career which set him back. Lucky for us,we plucked him off in the leetch deal and we stuck with him thru thick and thin which is first beginning to and will continue to pay big dividends. That's the kind of story I love, a player we didn't give up on and he's here for the long haul.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:59 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
wish it was for 4 years @ that cap hit but I guess Sauer is smart enough to lock himself up that long term....but glad we have him back.
I'm a little nervous to lock someone with his injury riddled past to a 4 year deal after 1 season at the NHL level. I think this is a good deal for both parties, and he'll get paid Girardi money if he plays most of the two years I would imagine.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:01 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Apples and oranges. Del Zotto was not waiver eligible last year (and he isn't this coming season either). Sauer either stays with the big club or gets traded; he would have to pass through waivers to be sent to the AHL--and there's no way I can see that happening, he's graduated from that level of play.

It's a good contract--Sauer earned it. Now he has to go out and prove he can continue to progress as an NHL defenseman.
OK, but Del Zotto isn't the first defenseman recently to have sophomore slumps. Doughty, Myers, Bogosian, etc. all arguably had similar sophomore slumps, they just weren't AS bad as Del Zotto.

Old
07-08-2011, 08:06 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
I think he's destined to play LW on the 2nd or 3rd line. In that case, he will hit 20 no problem IMO. I won't be surprised at all if he's utilized more on the PP either.

Old
07-08-2011, 08:08 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
OK, but Del Zotto isn't the first defenseman recently to have sophomore slumps. Doughty, Myers, Bogosian, etc. all arguably had similar sophomore slumps, they just weren't AS bad as Del Zotto.

Doughty was top-3 in Norris votes in his sophomore year.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard

Last edited by JeffMangum: 07-09-2011 at 12:27 AM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Unless Sauer suddenly starts being overly aggressive--which seems unlikely--he'll be fine. Plus, he's several years older than Del Zotto and played professionally for a number of years before making the NHL. That's why I said it's apples and oranges.

Del Zotto was having problems defensively from the start--the fast offensive pace and the way he was on the power play made it a worthwhile trade off. But, then other teams figured out how to cut off his passes from the defensive zone and he was completely unable to change his game. He just kept trying the same long passes over and over. In retrospect, he should have been sent down to the AHL much sooner. Getting hurt was the worst thing that happened to him. He needs to play major minutes to get his game up to speed.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:25 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post

Doughty was top-3 in Norris votes in his sophomor year.
He meant junior slump.

Shush.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:49 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
nice deal, I hope we keep Sauer for his career, he is going to be a very good defenseman

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 04:11 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
2 year deal means Sauer will still be RFA with arb rights.

Good news and a good deal.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Vitto79

so is Mikes bro Kurt done? He has a yr left on his deal with the Yotes but only played a game in hte last 2

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote