HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Michael Sauer (2 years, $1.25M per)

Old
07-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Fantastic! $1.25 million for him is a solid deal, for both sides. The Rangers retain one of their reliable stay-at-home defense men who can only grow into a better hockey player. I was a big fan of Sauer last year.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If the team is trying to go deep this year we still need to find room to sign a veteran defenseman like Hannan or Eminger. I like McD-Sauer but combine their inexperience with a rookie 3rd pairing and you have a problem come playoff time.

07-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Garden Mystique

Great Deal keeps him a RFA when this contract is up

Garden Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If the team is trying to go deep this year we still need to find room to sign a veteran defenseman like Hannan or Eminger. I like McD-Sauer but combine their inexperience with a rookie 3rd pairing and you have a problem come playoff time.
Absolutely. I don't think the Rangers will go into the season without getting a veteran defenseman. And I suspect they are looking for a significant upgrade over Eminger. Someone who can play on the second pair consistantly.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Absolutely. I don't think the Rangers will go into the season without getting a veteran defenseman. And I suspect they are looking for a significant upgrade over Eminger. Someone who can play on the second pair consistantly.
perfect world, i think they, just like most of us, would love to get a top 6 LW and a reliable dman but i'm not sure there are any available and not sure cap space allows us to get both...so that might be the ideal but i'm not sure it will happen

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:34 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Uhhh our top-4 is already set (and of the best in the league). Third pairing is the only question mark, and even w/that we have a plethora of young guys ready to take over the last two spots...let's steer away from the D and focus on getting a top-6 winger (we have the extra D-prospects to deal from strength...)

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASeparatePeace View Post
Uhhh our top-4 is already set (and of the best in the league). Third pairing is the only question mark, and even w/that we have a plethora of young guys ready to take over the last two spots...let's steer away from the D and focus on getting a top-6 winger (we have the extra D-prospects to deal from strength...)
and if you could bring in a good vet to play with mcdonagh while dropping sauer down to play with erixon, giving a rookie a rock solid partner to help him adjust to the nhl, would that be a bad thing??

2nd pair vs 3rd pair doesn't really matter much imo. if the top 6 is rock solid then the pairings will work themselves out.

Old
07-09-2011, 06:58 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
and if you could bring in a good vet to play with mcdonagh while dropping sauer down to play with erixon, giving a rookie a rock solid partner to help him adjust to the nhl, would that be a bad thing??

2nd pair vs 3rd pair doesn't really matter much imo. if the top 6 is rock solid then the pairings will work themselves out.
This would be my ideal scenario as well. Not sure who is out there that could be that 2nd pairing guy to play with McD.

07-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
This would be my ideal scenario as well. Not sure who is out there that could be that 2nd pairing guy to play with McD.
tim erixon

Old
07-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
You may think the top four defensemen are set, but I don't think management would necessarily agree. The organization wants to start winning in the playoffs, not next year, not the year after, but now. If they don't pick up a veteran defenseman to start the season, they will continue to look until they find one. I just don't see a real contender when you have 4 spots on defense filled by first and second year players.

Old
07-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post

Well said.

Old
07-09-2011, 07:35 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Hannan would be a lot better than Eminger...a guy like Eminger doesn't really make or break us going deep, just gives us some stability in case the rookies are inconsistent.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:38 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
You may be ready to dub the rangers top 4 one of the best in the league despite the fact that one of them has 40 NHL games and the other half of the 2nd pair has one season under their belt, I certainly hope management isn't that ready otherwise it could be a long season. If guys like Doughty and Myers are capable of big down years their sophomore year, it's very naive to think Sauer and McD aren't.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

just wish it were longer

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
You may be ready to dub the rangers top 4 one of the best in the league despite the fact that one of them has 40 NHL games and the other half of the 2nd pair has one season under their belt, I certainly hope management isn't that ready otherwise it could be a long season. If guys like Doughty and Myers are capable of big down years their sophomore year, it's very naive to think Sauer and McD aren't.
The Rangers Do NOT have the best top 4 in the league. They are a damn solid top 4, for sure...but not the best.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:10 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Eminger is the only 'veteran' in the picture IMHO because the Rangers can prob get him on a 1 year deal and aren't afraid to utilize him as a 7th. Any other player who would require a multi-year deal is out of the question. I'm okay with them going with Eminger and 2 of the younger players and depending on how the season goes, picking up some additional depth at the trade deadline if it's needed,

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:46 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Doughty was a Norris finalist his sophomore year. He regressed a little last year; year 3.

While our D may have the potential to be one of the best in the league we are still very young, and really lack a experienced playoff performer and a high quality puck mover.

N9Y4R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:07 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
Doughty was a Norris finalist his sophomore year. He regressed a little last year; year 3.

While our D may have the potential to be one of the best in the league we are still very young, and really lack a experienced playoff performer and a high quality puck mover.
Exactly. I hope we find a good vet so support our young D but I would also be happy if we re-sing Eminger because I was pleased with his play at the few games he made.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:42 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
The Rangers Do NOT have the best top 4 in the league. They are a damn solid top 4, for sure...but not the best.

Rangers top-4 isnt even top-3 in East.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:17 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Should have gotten 4yrs..the kid is a stud,straight up.A 1st rndr that went 2nd rnd cause of injuries...Hopefully he stays healthy and Sather dont regret giving him 4 yrs when the 2 is up....

Staal,McDonagh and Sauer are # D-men,you lock the **** up when contract time.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:56 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Should have gotten 4yrs..the kid is a stud,straight up.A 1st rndr that went 2nd rnd cause of injuries...Hopefully he stays healthy and Sather dont regret giving him 4 yrs when the 2 is up....

Staal,McDonagh and Sauer are # D-men,you lock the **** up when contract time.
You gonna give Sauer 3 mil a year after only 1 good year in the NHL? With his injury history? Because that's probably what it would take to sign him for 4 years. He'll still be RFA in 2 years. If he progresses, he'll get a longer term contract then.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote