HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Top 6 Forward

Old
07-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Mickey Redmond

vCash: 500
Semin or bust.

Mickey Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:25 PM
waltdetroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase View Post
Any chance we'll give Tatar a shot on a scoring line to start the season? If he's any good, I think we could have the answer there... though he'd have question marks come playoff time if he doesn't burn out to begin with... And then we get to make the deadline trade if necessary.
I think tats is great but I'd like him a little/stronger/bigger. sure hope to see him come up for some games

waltdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Run the Jewels

I have no idea what the Rangers plan to do with Wolski but he could be a good fit. He had good size & skill and is a former two time 20 goal scorer. He seems like a guy who could fill a top 6 spot if the price is right. It sounds like the Rangers were thinking about buying him out and this is his last year under contract. So he could be had for a very reasonable price.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:40 PM
waltdetroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I have no idea what the Rangers plan to do with Wolski but he could be a good fit. He had good size & skill and is a former two time 20 goal scorer. He seems like a guy who could fill a top 6 spot if the price is right. It sounds like the Rangers were thinking about buying him out and this is his last year under contract. So he could be had for a very reasonable price.
Wolski's OK...but Eaves scored 20 goals in 58 games one season

Old
07-20-2011, 05:46 PM
DetroitWhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetroit1340 View Post
Semin or bust.
Those kind of go hand in hand .

DetroitWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltdetroit View Post
Wolski's OK...but Eaves scored 20 goals in 58 games one season
True, but Wolski did it twice in the Western Conference. I think Wolski has more size and skill than Eaves. And I like Patrick Eaves just fine. Wolski would be a solid top six forward in Detroit IMO and likely wouldn't cost much to acquire.

Old
07-20-2011, 06:06 PM
waltdetroit

Quote:
True, but Wolski did it twice in the Western Conference. I think Wolski has more size and skill than Eaves. And I like Patrick Eaves just fine. Wolski would be a solid top six forward in Detroit IMO and likely wouldn't cost much to acquire.
3x if you count PO goals, maybe another Holland reclamation project.

Old
07-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltdetroit View Post
3x if you count PO goals, maybe another Holland reclamation project.
I think the return on investment is higher on a guy like Wolski. He seems like a top 6 guy to me whom the Rangers are considering discarding. We'll have to wait and see what happens!

Old
07-20-2011, 07:40 PM
waltdetroit

Quote:
I think the return on investment is higher on a guy like Wolski. He seems like a top 6 guy to me whom the Rangers are considering discarding. We'll have to wait and see what happens!
I think he could be a top 6 guy like Cleary w/o as many injuries, maybe a few more goals too and better than anyone we might be able to pry from Buffalo

Old
07-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
not sure why you would be in favour of acquiring a cheap player?

thats not exactly what we need now or anytime ever to be honest. I wouldn't want KH to sell the farm to get semin or roy or vanek or stafford or whatnot but an elite YOUNG winger is what this team needs desperately.

a deal involving hudler or filppula for semin would still leave us with cap space both for the deadline and next summer.

Last edited by Zetterberg4Captain: 07-20-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Zetterberg4Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
not sure why you would be in favour of acquiring a cheap player?

thats not exactly what we need now or anytime ever to be honest. I would want KH to sell the farm to get semin or roy or vanek or stafford or whatnot but an elite YOUNG winger is what this team needs desperately.

a deal involving hudler or filppula for semin would still leave us with cap space both for the deadline and next summer.
Oh, it's this incredibly ground breaking concept of being realistic. The typical thing is to expect something completely unrealistic to happen and then hold it against Ken Holland when it doesn't happen. The Caps likely want a solid 2nd line center. That certainly doesn't sound like Hudler and every Wings fan will tell you Filppula isn't a 2nd line center.

So are the Caps going to make that trade just because you really, really want it to happen? I think most of us know the answer to that question. Maybe this one time Eklund was right!!!

Wolski is a guy the Rangers have strongly considered buying out. He's been a 3 time 20 goal scorer in the west. His contract expires after this season. We could get him for next to nothing - it would literally be nothing if NY buys him out. I'm not saying it will happen, just that it would be a low risk move with the potential for high reward, ie a Red Wings move.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:23 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I would love Wolski, perfect reclamation project, and one of the best shootout guys (if not the best) since the lockout. I think he would be perfect.

Imagine having shootout options as:
Datsyuk
Wolski
Hudler
Bertuzzi
Zetterberg
Filppula

But even it the Wings don't end up with Wolski, I hope they can end up with a top/bottom six tweener who can work magic in the shootout. That could win us a few extra points, which could make a huge difference in the end.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:59 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Oh, it's this incredibly ground breaking concept of being realistic. The typical thing is to expect something completely unrealistic to happen and then hold it against Ken Holland when it doesn't happen. The Caps likely want a solid 2nd line center. That certainly doesn't sound like Hudler and every Wings fan will tell you Filppula isn't a 2nd line center.

So are the Caps going to make that trade just because you really, really want it to happen? I think most of us know the answer to that question. Maybe this one time Eklund was right!!!

Wolski is a guy the Rangers have strongly considered buying out. He's been a 3 time 20 goal scorer in the west. His contract expires after this season. We could get him for next to nothing - it would literally be nothing if NY buys him out. I'm not saying it will happen, just that it would be a low risk move with the potential for high reward, ie a Red Wings move.
Eh, you're talking to a guy who, when he thought Osgood was getting re-signed, told the board that he hoped Ozzie would suffer a season-ending injury A guy who now wants to "sell the farm" for Derek Roy

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Eh, you're talking to a guy who, when he thought Osgood was getting re-signed, told the board that he hoped Ozzie would suffer a season-ending injury A guy who now wants to "sell the farm" for Derek Roy
to be fair that was actually suppossed to say "wouldnt sell the farm"

Last edited by Zetterberg4Captain: 07-20-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old
07-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:

its not unrealistic to believe/hope a pro sports team makes a trade for an actually good player.

i am not saying its semin or nothing for christ sake, i am just saying i dont understand why any fan would rather not ever even if just once actually make a proper trade to actually address a need rather then bash around names for reclammation projects.

Old
07-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Run the Jewels

It looks like Brendan Dubinsky's arbitration hearing is today. He's only $500k apart from what the NYR are offering however it looks like he also wants a longer term then what they are offering. So depending on how that plays out Wolski could be bought out which is what the NY press suggests will happen.

Just for kicks:

Filppula-Datsyuk-Mule/Homer
Wolski-Zetterberg-Bert
Cleary-Helm-Abdelkader
Hudler/Eaves-Emmerton-Mursak
Miller

It's tough to justify paying Huds that much to play on the fourth line, so trade Hudler for a draft pick. He'd probably do as well as Leino has done in the East.

Old
07-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
It looks like Brendan Dubinsky's arbitration hearing is today. He's only $500k apart from what the NYR are offering however it looks like he also wants a longer term then what they are offering. So depending on how that plays out Wolski could be bought out which is what the NY press suggests will happen.

Just for kicks:

Filppula-Datsyuk-Mule/Homer
Wolski-Zetterberg-Bert
Cleary-Helm-Abdelkader
Hudler/Eaves-Emmerton-Mursak
Miller

It's tough to justify paying Huds that much to play on the fourth line, so trade Hudler for a draft pick. He'd probably do as well as Leino has done in the East.
how much would wolski cost?

is he really any better, given that the avs, yotes and now rags have all kicked him to the curb?

would it not just be a lateral move?

Old
07-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Run the Jewels

Well the Rags are about to pay Dubinsky $5m per year so there's reason to question their judgment. The Avs have been a mess as far as churning players but look downright organized compared to the Yotes. All I'm suggesting is that Wolski could be a cheap acquisition who could score 20-25 goals in Detroit. It probably will not happen but it's an entirely reasonable suggestion.

Old
07-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Well the Rags are about to pay Dubinsky $5m per year so there's reason to question their judgment. The Avs have been a mess as far as churning players but look downright organized compared to the Yotes. All I'm suggesting is that Wolski could be a cheap acquisition who could score 20-25 goals in Detroit. It probably will not happen but it's an entirely reasonable suggestion.
no no, i have just heard wolski's name bounced around by a few people and am just curious what the attraction is.

I can understand adding him simply as a 14/15th forward to training camp and seeing where the cards fall, just not sure he is better then hudler

Old
07-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
no no, i have just heard wolski's name bounced around by a few people and am just curious what the attraction is.

I can understand adding him simply as a 14/15th forward to training camp and seeing where the cards fall, just not sure he is better then hudler
OK, I'm done. Wait for Semin and then complain about how bad Ken Holland is as a GM when it doesn't happen. I enjoy conversing with Wings fans on this board but with a few people it's just pointless. Wolski has been a 3x 20 goal scorer. Hudler's done it once. Wolski has been a top 6 forward his entire career, while Hudler's been a 3rd liner. Wolski has twice been traded for NHL players, while most of us realize we'd be lucky to get a mid-round draft pick for Hudler.

So we might be able to sign Wolski for nothing due to poor cap management by the Rags. Like I said I don't think the odds are good that it will happen. He's just a guy who fits in the discussion. I fully understand you want Semin and can't consider acquiring anyone other than Semin as being a success.

Old
07-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
OK, I'm done. Wait for Semin and then complain about how bad Ken Holland is as a GM when it doesn't happen. I enjoy conversing with Wings fans on this board but with a few people it's just pointless. Wolski has been a 3x 20 goal scorer. Hudler's done it once. Wolski has been a top 6 forward his entire career, while Hudler's been a 3rd liner. Wolski has twice been traded for NHL players, while most of us realize we'd be lucky to get a mid-round draft pick for Hudler.

So we might be able to sign Wolski for nothing due to poor cap management by the Rags. Like I said I don't think the odds are good that it will happen. He's just a guy who fits in the discussion. I fully understand you want Semin and can't consider acquiring anyone other than Semin as being a success.
haha wow, i never mentioned semin vs wolski once and made it quite clear its not about semin whatsoever, why bring him up? I think specifically I said any young forward that isnt another teams castoff(reclamation project). not sure if that means just semin fits the bill or any of the other approx dozens upon dozens upon dozens of players around the league who "could" be available. Would that mean we would ahve to give up assets? of course it does that dosent make it intrinsically wrong...

i was not and am not critizing you for wanting wolski, i merely asked why and what you felt he brings that hudler cant or dosent or wont and how his addition and hudlers subtraction makes us stronger this year and next and the year after that and gives us an advantage over sj, vancouver, chiago and la.

Last edited by Zetterberg4Captain: 07-21-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old
07-21-2011, 01:27 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Some people are seriously underating Hudler's value in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapshots View Post
One word: Prospal
Babcock doesn't like Prospal. Though that didn't stop the Commadore signing...

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wingman View Post
Not sure if Buffalo is looking to get rid of him, but Boyes might be a good fit with the Wings if we are able to get rid of Hudler. He's a right handed shot and he definitely has a nose for scoring. He seems to be steaky, but he's never played with playmakers like we have. He surely can't be any worse defensively than Hudler.

His $4m isn't bad considering how much cap we're left with and he's in the last year of the contract. Take away Hudlers $2.85 and we can take on Boyes' contract and still have a lot of cap space.
Boyes for Hudler straight up? Man I think Holland would be all over that. I'm not sure what Buffalo's needs are but we'd be getting a former 40 & 30 goal scorer. My only concern would be taking on Boyes' cap hit w/out sending a larger contract back. So Hudler would probably work out just fine. I just really don't know if the Sabres have any interest in him.