HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Sources say Flyers shopping goalie Bobrovsky

Old
07-09-2011, 08:26 AM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I think the concern should be he will struggle to develop as #2 behind Bryzgalov

Only playing 15-20 games a year for next 2 years wont increase his value nor sharpen his skills IMO

If he was playing #1 in AHL it would be different story as he could get 60+ games but since he cant clear waivers that is not viable option

He is not waiver exempt correct?
I dont understand your obsession with coming to the Flyers board and lowballing them to annoy the fans. You very well know that trading Bob for a 2nd round pick would be ridiculously stupid for the Flyers. Even if his value in a trade alone was not much more than that (it is, but for argument's sake), you know and I know and everyone here knows that Bob is much more useful as one of the better back ups in the league than a 2nd round pick would be.

Bob is a talented young goalie, and his trade value is not very high yet because of it. It is just senseless to trade Bobrovsky if we dont get something in return that can step into the roster and help us right away.

If Bob were to be a 50 game starter again next year, there really is no guarantee whether he has a good or bad season statistically next year given the complete face lift of the roster. So while he may not be a worse goalie next year, his stats go down if the team around him does not show up. That would decrease his trade value. The way it is now, Bob will be one of the best back ups in the league, starting about 20 games, and he will look as if he is a young backup on the cusp of becoming a bona fide #1. Teams will pay for that kind of commodity. They wont pay for a young goalie playing 50 games a year who may or may not show that he is yet capable of handling that role. Think Cory Schneider. What if he was the starter last year and was a little inconsistent? Would his value be better or worse than it is now with him having played 20+ games and been a proficient back up? I'd say worse. Same goes for Bob.

Hell, he had a great season this year, and his critics still analyze him to death for having one bad playoff game. I wouldnt want him under that scrutiny next year.

Either way, he is still playing an NHL role which is much better for his development than you would suggest. Facing shots in practice from Danny Briere, Jaromir Jagr and Claude Giroux day in and day out is better than getting 30 extra starts in the AHL. By a lot. Bob's development is the least of my worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He's never played fewer than 64 games as a starter. The guy is a workhorse like Lundqvist. If he's not hurt, he's playing 60+ games. They're not paying him that contract to let him play 50 and Bob play 30.
He's also never made a deep playoff run as a starter. Keeping his starts down to about 57-60 would keep him fresh for the playoffs. His most total GP in a season is 76. If we want to win a Cup, I would expect him to be playing about 24 playoff games, so if he played 65 games for us, he'd be nearing 90 starts. We should be trying to keep the total number between 80-85. Those extra couple days off down the stretch can go a long way.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

The problem with Bobrovsky is that the market is slim since Colorado overspent for Varlamov. The teams who can currently use Bobrovsky include:

Devils, Islanders, Coyotes and perhaps Tampa Bay. That is a small market for a young goalie who really hasn't proven much at the NHL level. He is also Russian which means the KHL-threat exists if he doesn't secure the type of role he wants within the next 1-2 years.

The likelihood of Philly trading with the Devils is slim-to-none, which leaves 2-3 teams as potential trading partners for Bobrovsky.The best of those teams is Phoenix - who have some good defense prospects (which Philly can use).

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
The problem with Bobrovsky is that the market is slim since Colorado overspent for Varlamov. The teams who can currently use Bobrovsky include:

Devils, Islanders, Coyotes and perhaps Tampa Bay. That is a small market for a young goalie who really hasn't proven much at the NHL level. He is also Russian which means the KHL-threat exists if he doesn't secure the type of role he wants within the next 1-2 years.

The likelihood of Philly trading with the Devils is slim-to-none, which leaves 2-3 teams as potential trading partners for Bobrovsky.The best of those teams is Phoenix - who have some good defense prospects (which Philly can use).
The goalie market is always slim.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Just reading through some of these comments. I would think Hanzal is an overpayment for Bob. On the other hand, I think Summers is a better player than Gonch, but you guys seem to be high on Gonch. A Pyatt+Gonch for Bob+ (whatever that plus may be) is a very real possibility. We are stacked on defense, stupidly so if you ask me, we can only play so many.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:52 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
Just reading through some of these comments. I would think Hanzal is an overpayment for Bob. On the other hand, I think Summers is a better player than Gonch, but you guys seem to be high on Gonch. A Pyatt+Gonch for Bob+ (whatever that plus may be) is a very real possibility. We are stacked on defense, stupidly so if you ask me, we can only play so many.
It would be ideal for us to trade with you guys because you have Pyatt, who is the penalty killer we need, and Summers/Goncharov being the defense prospect we would want

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:58 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
It would be ideal for us to trade with you guys because you have Pyatt, who is the penalty killer we need, and Summers/Goncharov being the defense prospect we would want
Pyatt is a solid player, but he's not a world class pker by any means. He was 5th among forwards for the Coyotes in sh toi/g last year. And Phoenix kind of sucked playing one man down.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:36 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Pyatt is a solid player, but he's not a world class pker by any means. He was 5th among forwards for the Coyotes in sh toi/g last year. And Phoenix kind of sucked playing one man down.
I'm not saying he's that good at pk, but he's better than Hartnell or probably most of our new guys. He would probably be good on our 2nd pk unit

Old
07-09-2011, 11:38 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

I dont think there is anyway we can trade Bobrovsky unless we can get a cheap vet or young goalie in return. I do not want Jason Bacashihua on this team under any circumstances.
I am pretty sure we are now maxed out on contracts after that signing.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I dont think there is anyway we can trade Bobrovsky unless we can get a cheap vet or young goalie in return. I do not want Jason Bacashihua on this team under any circumstances.
There are some cheap vets that would be fine behind Bryz this year floating around. Conklin leaps immediately to mind.

Old
07-09-2011, 11:51 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Yeah Homer always finds something to do wrong every offseason. He's a waste of a contract. We needed a goalie with a two way contract, but not one as bad as Bacashihua

Old
07-09-2011, 12:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
There are some cheap vets that would be fine behind Bryz this year floating around. Conklin leaps immediately to mind.
yeah I would be for Conklin. But not at the cost of getting crap back for Bobrovsky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
Yeah Homer always finds something to do wrong every offseason. He's a waste of a contract. We needed a goalie with a two way contract, but not one as bad as Bacashihua
I really hope Holmgren doesnt view Bacashihua as a backup to Bryzgalov. Bacashihua is barely a AHL goalie. I dont care what he did in Hershey. I could of played goal for some of those teams.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I would rather keep Bobrovsky and not save the 800k. Supposedly Conklin hasn't been that good of late.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I would rather keep Bobrovsky and not save the 800k. Supposedly Conklin hasn't been that good of late.
He was bad last year. Backup goalies are like relief pitchers in baseball... statistically volatile. Remember, with Bryz here, you're looking at very few games for the backup most likely...

As said above, there's no reason to trade Bob in order to save cap space at this point... you only do it if you're improving the team going forward. If we could get a legit top 4 D prospect for Bob (particularly one that might be able to play the PP) then I think you have to do it.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
There isn't really anywhere to trade him to.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
There isn't really anywhere to trade him to.
If I'm PHX -- and the NHL, who is trying to make PHX viable -- I'm not thrilled with their prospects with Smith, Labarbera, and McElhinney.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
He was bad last year. Backup goalies are like relief pitchers in baseball... statistically volatile. Remember, with Bryz here, you're looking at very few games for the backup most likely...

As said above, there's no reason to trade Bob in order to save cap space at this point... you only do it if you're improving the team going forward. If we could get a legit top 4 D prospect for Bob (particularly one that might be able to play the PP) then I think you have to do it.
Bryzgalov's been a healthy player for the majority of his career, but injuries still happen. When I'm thinking about who I want as a back-up I am keeping the possibility in mind that this si the guy you're throwing in net for the entirety of the playoffs.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:29 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

PHX, TB, CBJ, NYI, and FLA should be jumping all over Bobrovsky right about now. ANH, CAL, DAL, OTT, and NJ are longshots.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Bryzgalov's been a healthy player for the majority of his career, but injuries still happen. When I'm thinking about who I want as a back-up I am keeping the possibility in mind that this si the guy you're throwing in net for the entirety of the playoffs.
I just don't believe in "planning" for injuries with your NHL roster. In real life, I believe you need to pay attention to contingency planning, but when you're constructing your roster and worried about injuries you end up handicapping how good your roster can actually be. This is especially true under a salary cap.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I just don't believe in "planning" for injuries with your NHL roster. In real life, I believe you need to pay attention to contingency planning, but when you're constructing your roster and worried about injuries you end up handicapping how good your roster can actually be. This is especially true under a salary cap.
With skaters I would certainly agree that maintaining that kind of depth is not possible. But given both the importance of goal tending and the fact that you're really only looking at a change in one roster spot and a few hundred thousand to make a big improvement, I think it's worth the investment there. Likewise, an injury to one man completely changes the quality of your goal tending, so it's more realistic that you're actually going to have to call upon that depth.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
With skaters I would certainly agree that maintaining that kind of depth is not possible. But given both the importance of goal tending and the fact that you're really only looking at a change in one roster spot and a few hundred thousand to make a big improvement, I think it's worth the investment there. Likewise, an injury to one man completely changes the quality of your goal tending, so it's more realistic that you're actually going to have to call upon that depth.
Right, but if Bryz goes down... do I think Bob salvages the season? Not necessarily (I'm not optimistic about next year anyway). Whereas, if you got an offer for a D that will definitely be able to really help this team in the years to come... I'm all over it.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Right, but if Bryz goes down... do I think Bob salvages the season? Not necessarily (I'm not optimistic about next year anyway). Whereas, if you got an offer for a D that will definitely be able to really help this team in the years to come... I'm all over it.
Right, I'm with you there. I don't mind trading Bob as a hockey decision. I think it would not be smart to trade him as a cap decision if the alternative is Ty Conklin. And yes, I do have confidence that Bob could carry the load for a long stretch if he had to. He did well with the task last year. With respect to you specific example about a D prospect, we already have a lot of middling D prospects. Unless Bob were going to net us a young player that was considerably better than anyone currently in the prospect pool (i.e. top pairing upside), what's the point?

Old
07-09-2011, 05:48 PM
tuckrr

When BOB plays with confidence he is truly spectacular.
Reasons why being a backup will help his confidence:
He will have a mentor/ someone he can actually talk to in bryz

being a backup relieves a lot of the pressure for him

playing weaker teams (as a backup) means more wins...wins=confidence

Our defense is (still) the best in the league, so he can thrive here and have success

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:46 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
When BOB plays with confidence he is truly spectacular.
Reasons why being a backup will help his confidence:
He will have a mentor/ someone he can actually talk to in bryz

being a backup relieves a lot of the pressure for him

playing weaker teams (as a backup) means more wins...wins=confidence

Our defense is (still) the best in the league, so he can thrive here and have success
When did our defense ever play like they were top of the league? When did they completely shut down the other team?

Wishful thinking....

But yes, I would agree that Bobs can mature on a solid team next season.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:17 AM

I'm not happy with moving Bob, I saw him playing more of a role this year than you'd see a back-up behind a Luongo or Lundqvist taking. The main reason for Bryz's failures in the play-offs last year for me was him playing 68 games and being burned out. I'd like to see him reduced to 60 games and giving Bob more of a role than i'd be comfortable with a Conklin or Leighton being given.

Wait until Bob's got some value and then move him if we must. For once, we don't exactly need the cap space.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:45 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

The GM is in a position of power.

He doesn't have to move him now. He can always wait until the trade deadline.

If he's talking to Phoenix every discussion should start with OEL.

Let them start the season with those goaltenders and see how they feel in March when the fans pass the time playing with echos in the stadium.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote