HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benn Ferriero One Year, $605K

Old
07-09-2011, 03:16 AM
Lebanezer

vCash: 500
Pavelski isn't a 3rd line forward and it's a waste of his abilities to have him playing even strength with guys who aren't close to his talent level. The Sharks need to score more even strength and Pavelski on a line with Handzus and Mitchell or whatever is not going to help that. Pavs could hit 80 points if he's playing consistently with other offensively gifted players.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:38 AM
Sharksfan83

We need a solid checking 3rd line, and if we bring in a 3rd line RW, id be more then interested in trying Mashinter. He adds toughness size, his speed is ok, and he can score. Mitchell is a 4th liner atm.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 04:11 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
Pavelski isn't a 3rd line forward and it's a waste of his abilities to have him playing even strength with guys who aren't close to his talent level. The Sharks need to score more even strength and Pavelski on a line with Handzus and Mitchell or whatever is not going to help that.
Tell that to Crosby, Malkin, and Kesler.
Also, I don't see how putting Pavelski on the third line and improving their depth is going to weaken even strength scoring. If anything, it'll improve it as you aren't just stuck with 2 lines. Take this last season for example, the Mitchell - Pavelski - Wellwood line was easily the best line some nights. While they weren't always scoring, they constantly maintained offensive zone pressure which not only brought momentum, but wore down the opposition while giving the other two lines rest.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Tell that to Crosby, Malkin, and Kesler.
Also, I don't see how putting Pavelski on the third line and improving their depth is going to weaken even strength scoring. If anything, it'll improve it as you aren't just stuck with 2 lines. Take this last season for example, the Mitchell - Pavelski - Wellwood line was easily the best line some nights. While they weren't always scoring, they constantly maintained offensive zone pressure which not only brought momentum, but wore down the opposition while giving the other two lines rest.
I'm not disputing your point about spreading the scoring, but it was my impression that we were trying to make a 3rd line that was designed to match up well against the other teams top lines and shut them down. I would prefer to put Pavs in a role where he can be an offensive player as opposed someone who cycles with Handzus and Mitchell for 45 seconds and then changes. If the Sharks magically add 2 more guys with top 6 talent and go with 3 legit scoring lines then by all means, put him where ever. I just don't want him down with less talented wingers.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
...but it was my impression that we were trying to make a 3rd line that was designed to match up well against the other teams top lines and shut them down.
That's what I'm thinking too, and because of some "behind the scenes" info I got a while ago that was kind of unrelated to other stuff we were talking about at the time it leads me to believe DW isn't done filling that role yet.

The conversation was about "specialty lines" (for lack of a better term) and that if you designed a line for a specific purpose you really needed four players that could play on that line (the 4th could obviously come from one of the other lines if needed, of course) because of injuries, match-ups, etc.

Looking at how folks have generally penciled lines together it really looks like DW needs one more of those 3rd/4th line tweener types (I'm sure he'd prefer a 2nd/3rd player, but there doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of good value out there right now for those players) to fill out a true "checking line".

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:20 PM
rangerssharks414

As I've posted many times, I'm not a fan of Ferriero, but this is a fine contract. He should be one of the first players called up from Worcester if he doesn't make the opening day roster.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:22 AM
kluu

So his contract is one way or two way?

kluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:25 AM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluu View Post
So his contract is one way or two way?
Two-way.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1565

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:55 AM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
That's what I'm thinking too, and because of some "behind the scenes" info I got a while ago that was kind of unrelated to other stuff we were talking about at the time it leads me to believe DW isn't done filling that role yet.

The conversation was about "specialty lines" (for lack of a better term) and that if you designed a line for a specific purpose you really needed four players that could play on that line (the 4th could obviously come from one of the other lines if needed, of course) because of injuries, match-ups, etc.

Looking at how folks have generally penciled lines together it really looks like DW needs one more of those 3rd/4th line tweener types (I'm sure he'd prefer a 2nd/3rd player, but there doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of good value out there right now for those players) to fill out a true "checking line".
since ur also a boston fan, how about calling up chiarelli and asking him to send us marchand :-D that guy would be PERFECT for our 3rd line. id give him 3.5 mil one year in a heartbeat.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote