HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr expectations?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
  #426
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,556
vCash: 500
more importantly, we just dont have cap issues these next two years...

tuckrr is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 08:46 PM
  #427
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
more importantly, we just dont have cap issues these next two years...
You have been around long enough to know that Homer spends every penny. If any player is injured but can't be put on LTIR he may have to recall someone from ADK. Think back to what happened to Upshall and a 2nd for Carcillo.

The point is, signing an old, broken down, +35 defenceman to a 2 year contract when there are still other options out there was overpayment, just as giving Shelley 3 years at 1.1 million per year was overpayment, just as giving Leighton 2 years at 1.5 million per year was overpayment. Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend every cent because unforeseen injuries can take place.

MsWoof is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 08:47 PM
  #428
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
For the last thing that you wrote, yes it pretty much is. They are not going to publicly humiliate the Masterton winner.
Publicly humiliate him? How? It's not like they're telling the Flyers not to pay him!

MsWoof is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 08:58 PM
  #429
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
You have been around long enough to know that Homer spends every penny. If any player is injured but can't be put on LTIR he may have to recall someone from ADK. Think back to what happened to Upshall and a 2nd for Carcillo.

The point is, signing an old, broken down, +35 defenceman to a 2 year contract when there are still other options out there was overpayment, just as giving Shelley 3 years at 1.1 million per year was overpayment, just as giving Leighton 2 years at 1.5 million per year was overpayment. Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend every cent because unforeseen injuries can take place.
Really wasn't an overpayment.

Hartnell @ 4.2 was a much bigger overpayment...

tuckrr is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 09:38 PM
  #430
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Really wasn't an overpayment.

Hartnell @ 4.2 was a much bigger overpayment...
Hartnell was the youngest UFA in like history and had come off like 2 25 goal seasons. Wasn't too big an overpayment.

mm6492 is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 09:58 PM
  #431
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,784
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Really wasn't an overpayment.

Hartnell @ 4.2 was a much bigger overpayment...
Leighton was most definitely an overpayment. Hartnell earns his paycheck (especially when the HBL line clicked), Leighton has literally done nothing to earn his.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 08:44 AM
  #432
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Really wasn't an overpayment.

Hartnell @ 4.2 was a much bigger overpayment...
...which suggests you don't actually know the contracts that are out there. Hartnell is right in line (less than some) with what guys like him have been making consistently since the lockout. There aren't that many players that play Hartnell's game.

Jester is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 02:08 PM
  #433
Czech Your Math
Registered User
 
Czech Your Math's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bohemia
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 50
I don't see the sense in making a long-winded argument for Jagr, as this isn't a hypothetical scenario or opinion, and we'll know for sure.

I guess people really don't think he has it anymore or else that he will be injured, because in a poll for current top forwards he isn't even among the choices to make #60, while recent additions to the top 60 include Hemsky, Havlat, Elias and Alfredsson.

Czech Your Math is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 03:20 PM
  #434
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
I don't see the sense in making a long-winded argument for Jagr, as this isn't a hypothetical scenario or opinion, and we'll know for sure.

I guess people really don't think he has it anymore or else that he will be injured, because in a poll for current top forwards he isn't even among the choices to make #60, while recent additions to the top 60 include Hemsky, Havlat, Elias and Alfredsson.
I guess most people will be surprised. It's the perception people have of European players that go to play in Europe.

Most people on this side of the Ocean think that when a player leaves the NHL, he bailed on the NHL and they get offended it by. Their automatic perception is that the player feels he can no longer hack it in the NHL and he decides to leave.

Jagr is an all-time great, I don't understand these low-ball expectations.

livewell68 is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 03:22 PM
  #435
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,784
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
I guess most people will be surprised. It's the perception people have of European players that go to play in Europe.

Most people on this side of the Ocean think that when a player leaves the NHL, he bailed on the NHL and they get offended it by. Their automatic perception is that the player feels he can no longer hack it in the NHL and he decides to leave.

Jagr is an all-time great, I don't understand these low-ball expectations.
It's because he's old. It's well documented what happens to even the best athletes to ever play any game as they get old.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 03:30 PM
  #436
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
I guess most people will be surprised. It's the perception people have of European players that go to play in Europe.

Most people on this side of the Ocean think that when a player leaves the NHL, he bailed on the NHL and they get offended it by. Their automatic perception is that the player feels he can no longer hack it in the NHL and he decides to leave.

Jagr is an all-time great, I don't understand these low-ball expectations.
What hasn't been CLEARLY explained to you?

Jester is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 03:40 PM
  #437
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Can the season start already?

Flyerfan808 is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 03:47 PM
  #438
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
What hasn't been CLEARLY explained to you?
See Czech Your Math's post as well.

We are all witnesses. Even at the halfway mark of the NHL season, most of you will see that Jagr will be on a PPG pace. If he has 40-50 Pts by the 41 game mark, will you guys admit you were wrong?

livewell68 is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 03:48 PM
  #439
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,784
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
See Czech Your Math's post as well.

We are all witnesses. Even at the halfway mark of the NHL season, most of you will see that Jagr will be on a PPG pace. If he has 40-50 Pts by the 41 game mark, will you guys admit you were wrong?
Uh...no. Because NOBODY HERE HAS SAID THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 04:06 PM
  #440
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
See Czech Your Math's post as well.

We are all witnesses. Even at the halfway mark of the NHL season, most of you will see that Jagr will be on a PPG pace. If he has 40-50 Pts by the 41 game mark, will you guys admit you were wrong?
1) My GOD you're dense.

2) We're judging seasons by the 41 game mark now?

Jester is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 04:09 PM
  #441
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,784
vCash: 156
I don't get it. How many freaking times have I had to explain to you that there is a difference between "unlikely based on ALL historic evidence" and "completely impossible?"

I think I've done it at least 3 or 4 times now.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 04:18 PM
  #442
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
See Czech Your Math's post as well.

We are all witnesses. Even at the halfway mark of the NHL season, most of you will see that Jagr will be on a PPG pace. If he has 40-50 Pts by the 41 game mark, will you guys admit you were wrong?
What if wait til the 82 game mark and he's only got 50-60? Will you admit you were wrong?

Terence Peterman is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 04:19 PM
  #443
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
See Czech Your Math's post as well.

We are all witnesses. Even at the halfway mark of the NHL season, most of you will see that Jagr will be on a PPG pace. If he has 40-50 Pts by the 41 game mark, will you guys admit you were wrong?
Dude seriously. I don't think you even know what your fighting for right now. I haven't seen a single person say that it's impossible for jagr to be PPG.

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 08:03 PM
  #444
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Jagr will be Jagr.......

2PPG maybe
1PPG yes

I think Jagr is going to be good for 2PPG jags6868 says 1PPG he is going to be a BIG surpise to everyone on here that thinks he cant do it anymore......

When the leaque was clutch ,grab and hanging on to Jagr was the best and a scoring machine he's going to have fun this season since u cant do that **** anymore..........


Last edited by BleedOrange: 08-22-2011 at 08:09 PM.
BleedOrange is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 08:08 PM
  #445
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,784
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorange View Post
Jagr will be Jagr.......

2PPG maybe
1PPG yes

I think Jagr is going to be good for 2PPG jags6868 says 1PPG he is going to be a BIG surpise to everyone on here that thinks he cant do it anymore......
Jagr has never once in his career finished a season at 2 points per game. It's never happened. It's not going to happen now. I can and will say with all confidence that Jagr finishing the season with 162 points is impossible.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 08:21 PM
  #446
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Jagr has never once in his career finished a season at 2 points per game. It's never happened. It's not going to happen now. I can and will say with all confidence that Jagr finishing the season with 162 points is impossible.

im setting the bar high i know but he will be 100pts or better at the end of the season................

BleedOrange is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 08:26 PM
  #447
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Leighton was most definitely an overpayment. Hartnell earns his paycheck (especially when the HBL line clicked), Leighton has literally done nothing to earn his.
really through no fault of his own...

im no MFL fan, but this board loves to blow a small deal into the ****up of the year.

leighton makes 1.7mil, thats not a lot for a goalie that just went the SCF.

(niemi makes twice as much, and was regarded as being of a similar caliber)

without the injuries, thats a fair deal. (personally, i wouldnt have signed him at all...but once you commit the mindset of "we are signing MFL" 1.7 is a fair number to come away with)


its a lot easier to earn 1.7 than 4.2

tuckrr is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
  #448
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
really through no fault of his own...

im no MFL fan, but this board loves to blow a small deal into the ****up of the year.

leighton makes 1.7mil, thats not a lot for a goalie that just went the SCF.

(niemi makes twice as much, and was regarded as being of a similar caliber)

without the injuries, thats a fair deal. (personally, i wouldnt have signed him at all...but once you commit the mindset of "we are signing MFL" 1.7 is a fair number to come away with)


its a lot easier to earn 1.7 than 4.2
I dont see what this post has to do with Jagr.........

BleedOrange is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 08:47 PM
  #449
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,784
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorange View Post
im setting the bar high i know but he will be 100pts or better at the end of the season................
He hasn't done that since the 00/01 season, so it isn't very likely he'll hit that mark either.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 08:48 PM
  #450
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
really through no fault of his own...

im no MFL fan, but this board loves to blow a small deal into the ****up of the year.

leighton makes 1.7mil, thats not a lot for a goalie that just went the SCF.

(niemi makes twice as much, and was regarded as being of a similar caliber)

without the injuries, thats a fair deal. (personally, i wouldnt have signed him at all...but once you commit the mindset of "we are signing MFL" 1.7 is a fair number to come away with)


its a lot easier to earn 1.7 than 4.2
The team made it to the SCF in spite of his play.

This board has issues with his deal because like the Upshall trade, like the screw up with Pronger's contract, like the Jones debacle, it's proof of the many, many, many mistakes Homer has made which he hasn't learned from.

MsWoof is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.