HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr expectations?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-22-2011, 08:55 PM
  #451
Clown Baby
Registered User
 
Clown Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Jagr has never once in his career finished a season at 2 points per game. It's never happened. It's not going to happen now. I can and will say with all confidence that Jagr finishing the season with 162 points is impossible.
Well, you're a hater.

Clown Baby is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 09:18 PM
  #452
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He hasn't done that since the 00/01 season, so it isn't very likely he'll hit that mark either.
123 Pts in 2005-06 was 2000-01 season? I didn't know that!!!

96 Pts in 2006-07 with a bad shoulder (reconstructed and for what some thought would be career ending) is also 2000-01?

livewell68 is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 10:14 PM
  #453
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 38,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
123 Pts in 2005-06 was 2000-01 season? I didn't know that!!!

96 Pts in 2006-07 with a bad shoulder (reconstructed and for what some thought would be career ending) is also 2000-01?
You're right. He's going to have 12,856,312 points in 41 games. Jagr is the greatest player to ever touch ice. He's more supernatural deity than man, because that's the only explanation for the unstoppable march of time having no effect on his body or playing ability like it does on all other mere humans.

I overlooked the 05 season. What you're overlooking is that is happened SIX YEARS AGO. He was 33. There's a massive difference between a 33 year old athlete coming off his prime and a 39 year old.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
08-22-2011, 11:51 PM
  #454
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You're right. He's going to have 12,856,312 points in 41 games. Jagr is the greatest player to ever touch ice. He's more supernatural deity than man, because that's the only explanation for the unstoppable march of time having no effect on his body or playing ability like it does on all other mere humans.

I overlooked the 05 season. What you're overlooking is that is happened SIX YEARS AGO. He was 33. There's a massive difference between a 33 year old athlete coming off his prime and a 39 year old.
making a joke with the tougue dont get mad at me having alittle fun.....

BleedOrange is offline  
Old
08-22-2011, 11:54 PM
  #455
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's because he's old. It's well documented what happens to even the best athletes to ever play any game as they get old.
Not Jagr 100pts this yr and the flyers resign him to another 1yr..

Just having fun with the tougue beef dont mean anything buy it...

BleedOrange is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 07:14 AM
  #456
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,912
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Beef Invictus;36130389] You're right. He's going to have 12,856,312 points in 41 games. Jagr is the greatest player to ever touch ice. He's more supernatural deity than man, because that's the only explanation for the unstoppable march of time having no effect on his body or playing ability like it does on all other mere humans.

I overlooked the 05 season. What you're overlooking is that is happened SIX YEARS AGO. He was 33. There's a massive difference between a 33 year old athlete coming off his prime and a 39 year old. [QUOTE]

The 2005-06 season ended in 2006, not 2005. He was 34 not 33 and he was not coming off his prime, he was passed his prime, his last prime year was 2003-04.

livewell68 is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 07:40 AM
  #457
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,106
vCash: 500
Can't wait for the people who ripped on Richards for supposedly not being in shape before the season to defend this:

"@euroflyers: "It was difficult to get things started when you're training by yourself, but I'm getting in shape, slowly." - Jagr"

Sounds pretty unmotivated to me. Hope he isn't one of those players who gets the bucks and then coasts.

MsWoof is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 07:41 AM
  #458
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You're right. He's going to have 12,856,312 points in 41 games. Jagr is the greatest player to ever touch ice. He's more supernatural deity than man, because that's the only explanation for the unstoppable march of time having no effect on his body or playing ability like it does on all other mere humans.

I overlooked the 05 season. What you're overlooking is that is happened SIX YEARS AGO. He was 33. There's a massive difference between a 33 year old athlete coming off his prime and a 39 year old.
BTW that 2005-06 season is the best season by a player who was 34 or older.

livewell68 is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 07:52 AM
  #459
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Can't wait for the people who ripped on Richards for supposedly not being in shape before the season to defend this:

"@euroflyers: "It was difficult to get things started when you're training by yourself, but I'm getting in shape, slowly." - Jagr"

Sounds pretty unmotivated to me. Hope he isn't one of those players who gets the bucks and then coasts.
Where did you get this from? BTW when Jags says something, you can't always take it literal.

He's been in pretty darn good shape for the past year. He's listed at 225 lbs now and he's still got the muscle, so obviously he has done something to remain in shape.

Quote:
"Training camp is still far away, but I wanted to be back on the ice already", Jagr says. "There's still plenty of time until the season starts, but I've been wanting to be on the ice."

"It feels tough at first, but I hope it starts feeling better next week."

"I have to be prepared. I haven't played in the NHL in three years. It won't be easy. The NHL is just something completely different."
He sounds pretty motivated to me.


Last edited by livewell68: 08-23-2011 at 07:59 AM.
livewell68 is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 08:03 AM
  #460
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Where did you get this from? BTW when Jags says something, you can't always take it literal.

He's been in pretty darn good shape for the past year. He's listed at 225 lbs now and he's still got the muscle, so obviously he has done something to remain in shape.



He sounds pretty motivated to me.
It came from EuroFlyers (I forget his real name) who is the best resource for overseas prospect/Flyers news that I have found.

DUHockey9 is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 08:18 AM
  #461
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
It came from EuroFlyers (I forget his real name) who is the best resource for overseas prospect/Flyers news that I have found.
Is that why he's already training twice a day in Kladno with the team he owns? Training camps in Europe open up a month earlier and Jagr is doing heavy drills and conditioning with his hometown team.


livewell68 is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 08:41 AM
  #462
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey
 
Crescent Street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Is that why he's already training twice a day in Kladno with the team he owns? Training camps in Europe open up a month earlier and Jagr is doing heavy drills and conditioning with his hometown team.

Sir, there comes a point in time where you need to just step away, relax and move on. Your point was made several pages, weeks ago even.

Let's see how the season plays out and then trust me, you'll certainly be entitled to a dozen or so I told you so's. Until then MOVE ON.

Crescent Street is online now  
Old
08-23-2011, 09:00 AM
  #463
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Is that why he's already training twice a day in Kladno with the team he owns? Training camps in Europe open up a month earlier and Jagr is doing heavy drills and conditioning with his hometown team.
Relax, man. Stop being so defensive. It's a quote from Jagr from a reliable source. I don't think Jagr has been sitting around getting fat. He's never been that way; but open yourself to the idea of alternatives.

DUHockey9 is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
  #464
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Sir, there comes a point in time where you need to just step away, relax and move on. Your point was made several pages, weeks ago even.

Let's see how the season plays out and then trust me, you'll certainly be entitled to a dozen or so I told you so's. Until then MOVE ON.
No he won't! Which is Beef's entire point of late.

No one is saying that Jagr CANNOT be as amazing as he thinks. We are merely saying it is unprecedented and that having such high expectations, in anything, will often lead to disappointment. I'd much prefer more human expectations, while maintaining hope that Jagr continues to be better than his peers (also considering age), as he has in the past.

DUHockey9 is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 09:48 AM
  #465
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 38,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
No he won't! Which is Beef's entire point of late.

No one is saying that Jagr CANNOT be as amazing as he thinks. We are merely saying it is unprecedented and that having such high expectations, in anything, will often lead to disappointment. I'd much prefer more human expectations, while maintaining hope that Jagr continues to be better than his peers (also considering age), as he has in the past.
Yes! Exactly!

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
08-23-2011, 10:13 AM
  #466
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Can't wait for the people who ripped on Richards for supposedly not being in shape before the season to defend this:

"@euroflyers: "It was difficult to get things started when you're training by yourself, but I'm getting in shape, slowly." - Jagr"

Sounds pretty unmotivated to me. Hope he isn't one of those players who gets the bucks and then coasts.
I don't understand the point you are trying to make here?

Have you ever trained alone for a team sport. It's a different method and he's 100% right. It is difficult to do it alone. I'm finding it very tough at the moment to get motivated to train when my team is 2 hours away. It's boring, repetitive, and lacks competition.

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 10:17 AM
  #467
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I don't understand the point you are trying to make here?

Have you ever trained alone for a team sport. It's a different method and he's 100% right. It is difficult to do it alone. I'm finding it very tough at the moment to get motivated to train when my team is 2 hours away. It's boring, repetitive, and lacks competition.
Sure have, and you still do it because you know you have to. I'm just really glad you don't play for the Flyers!

MsWoof is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 10:21 AM
  #468
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Sure have, and you still do it because you know you have to. I'm just really glad you don't play for the Flyers!
Where does it say that Jagr isn't doing it. Still missing your point?

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 10:21 AM
  #469
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Sure have, and you still do it because you know you have to. I'm just really glad you don't play for the Flyers!
You respond to this but not my post with actual proof that Jagr is training his butt off as we speak in Kladno?

livewell68 is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 10:23 AM
  #470
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Where does it say that Jagr isn't doing it. Still missing your point?
Don't worry, the poster is completely avoiding the actual point. I provide a pic in which Jagr is training right now in Kladno, but apparently some unknown report says Jagr isn't taking the training seriously.

I guess the pics are phamtom pics.

livewell68 is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 10:29 AM
  #471
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Don't worry, the poster is completely avoiding the actual point. I provide a pic in which Jagr is training right now in Kladno, but apparently some unknown report says Jagr isn't taking the training seriously.

I guess the pics are phamtom pics.
Dude, the quote is past tense. It can quite easily mean that at some point this offseason he felt his training was coming along slowly. It does NOT discount your pic. Nor does your pic discount it.

Seriously man, take off the rose colored glasses. You get so offended by anyone providing anything that isn't pure elation in regards to Jagr. Teemu (the guy at euroflyers) is not some "unknown report". It's a quote. That's all it is. No big deal.

DUHockey9 is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 10:29 AM
  #472
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Don't worry, the poster is completely avoiding the actual point. I provide a pic in which Jagr is training right now in Kladno, but apparently some unknown report says Jagr isn't taking the training seriously.

I guess the pics are phamtom pics.
Woah now, don't throw me in with your love fest on the mulleted one. I just found it strange that she would associate not liking training to not taking is seriously. I don't like work but i still gotta do it.

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 10:34 AM
  #473
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,912
vCash: 500
A bit OT but when does the Flyers' training camp start?

livewell68 is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
  #474
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 20,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
A bit OT but when does the Flyers' training camp start?
Whenever Jagr wants it to.

But in all seriousness the 14th sticks out in my head. Too lazy to check.

Edit: It's the 17th.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
  #475
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Whenever Jagr wants it to.

But in all seriousness the 14th sticks out in my head. Too lazy to check.
Ok cool thanks.

Training camp and the NHL season can't come soon enough.

Pardon my incorrect term I may have used with this figure of speech, French is my first language.

livewell68 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.