HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr expectations?

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Clown Baby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Jagr has never once in his career finished a season at 2 points per game. It's never happened. It's not going to happen now. I can and will say with all confidence that Jagr finishing the season with 162 points is impossible.
Well, you're a hater.

Old
08-22-2011, 09:18 PM
livewell68

Quote:
He hasn't done that since the 00/01 season, so it isn't very likely he'll hit that mark either.
123 Pts in 2005-06 was 2000-01 season? I didn't know that!!!

96 Pts in 2006-07 with a bad shoulder (reconstructed and for what some thought would be career ending) is also 2000-01?

Old
08-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
123 Pts in 2005-06 was 2000-01 season? I didn't know that!!!

96 Pts in 2006-07 with a bad shoulder (reconstructed and for what some thought would be career ending) is also 2000-01?
You're right. He's going to have 12,856,312 points in 41 games. Jagr is the greatest player to ever touch ice. He's more supernatural deity than man, because that's the only explanation for the unstoppable march of time having no effect on his body or playing ability like it does on all other mere humans.

I overlooked the 05 season. What you're overlooking is that is happened SIX YEARS AGO. He was 33. There's a massive difference between a 33 year old athlete coming off his prime and a 39 year old.

08-22-2011, 11:51 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
You're right. He's going to have 12,856,312 points in 41 games. Jagr is the greatest player to ever touch ice. He's more supernatural deity than man, because that's the only explanation for the unstoppable march of time having no effect on his body or playing ability like it does on all other mere humans.

I overlooked the 05 season. What you're overlooking is that is happened SIX YEARS AGO. He was 33. There's a massive difference between a 33 year old athlete coming off his prime and a 39 year old.
making a joke with the tougue dont get mad at me having alittle fun.....

Old
08-22-2011, 11:54 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
It's because he's old. It's well documented what happens to even the best athletes to ever play any game as they get old.
Not Jagr 100pts this yr and the flyers resign him to another 1yr..

Just having fun with the tougue beef dont mean anything buy it...

Old
08-23-2011, 07:14 AM
livewell68

[QUOTE=Beef Invictus;36130389] You're right. He's going to have 12,856,312 points in 41 games. Jagr is the greatest player to ever touch ice. He's more supernatural deity than man, because that's the only explanation for the unstoppable march of time having no effect on his body or playing ability like it does on all other mere humans.

I overlooked the 05 season. What you're overlooking is that is happened SIX YEARS AGO. He was 33. There's a massive difference between a 33 year old athlete coming off his prime and a 39 year old. [QUOTE]

The 2005-06 season ended in 2006, not 2005. He was 34 not 33 and he was not coming off his prime, he was passed his prime, his last prime year was 2003-04.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:40 AM
MsWoof

Can't wait for the people who ripped on Richards for supposedly not being in shape before the season to defend this:

"@euroflyers: "It was difficult to get things started when you're training by yourself, but I'm getting in shape, slowly." - Jagr"

Sounds pretty unmotivated to me. Hope he isn't one of those players who gets the bucks and then coasts.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:41 AM
livewell68

Quote:

BTW that 2005-06 season is the best season by a player who was 34 or older.

Old
08-23-2011, 07:52 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Can't wait for the people who ripped on Richards for supposedly not being in shape before the season to defend this:

"@euroflyers: "It was difficult to get things started when you're training by yourself, but I'm getting in shape, slowly." - Jagr"

Sounds pretty unmotivated to me. Hope he isn't one of those players who gets the bucks and then coasts.
Where did you get this from? BTW when Jags says something, you can't always take it literal.

He's been in pretty darn good shape for the past year. He's listed at 225 lbs now and he's still got the muscle, so obviously he has done something to remain in shape.

Quote:
"Training camp is still far away, but I wanted to be back on the ice already", Jagr says. "There's still plenty of time until the season starts, but I've been wanting to be on the ice."

"It feels tough at first, but I hope it starts feeling better next week."

"I have to be prepared. I haven't played in the NHL in three years. It won't be easy. The NHL is just something completely different."
He sounds pretty motivated to me.

Last edited by livewell68: 08-23-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old
08-23-2011, 08:03 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Where did you get this from? BTW when Jags says something, you can't always take it literal.

He's been in pretty darn good shape for the past year. He's listed at 225 lbs now and he's still got the muscle, so obviously he has done something to remain in shape.

He sounds pretty motivated to me.
It came from EuroFlyers (I forget his real name) who is the best resource for overseas prospect/Flyers news that I have found.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:18 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
It came from EuroFlyers (I forget his real name) who is the best resource for overseas prospect/Flyers news that I have found.
Is that why he's already training twice a day in Kladno with the team he owns? Training camps in Europe open up a month earlier and Jagr is doing heavy drills and conditioning with his hometown team.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Is that why he's already training twice a day in Kladno with the team he owns? Training camps in Europe open up a month earlier and Jagr is doing heavy drills and conditioning with his hometown team.

Sir, there comes a point in time where you need to just step away, relax and move on. Your point was made several pages, weeks ago even.

Let's see how the season plays out and then trust me, you'll certainly be entitled to a dozen or so I told you so's. Until then MOVE ON.

Old
08-23-2011, 09:00 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Relax, man. Stop being so defensive. It's a quote from Jagr from a reliable source. I don't think Jagr has been sitting around getting fat. He's never been that way; but open yourself to the idea of alternatives.

Old
08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Sir, there comes a point in time where you need to just step away, relax and move on. Your point was made several pages, weeks ago even.

Let's see how the season plays out and then trust me, you'll certainly be entitled to a dozen or so I told you so's. Until then MOVE ON.
No he won't! Which is Beef's entire point of late.

No one is saying that Jagr CANNOT be as amazing as he thinks. We are merely saying it is unprecedented and that having such high expectations, in anything, will often lead to disappointment. I'd much prefer more human expectations, while maintaining hope that Jagr continues to be better than his peers (also considering age), as he has in the past.

Old
08-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
No he won't! Which is Beef's entire point of late.

No one is saying that Jagr CANNOT be as amazing as he thinks. We are merely saying it is unprecedented and that having such high expectations, in anything, will often lead to disappointment. I'd much prefer more human expectations, while maintaining hope that Jagr continues to be better than his peers (also considering age), as he has in the past.
Yes! Exactly!

Old
08-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

I don't understand the point you are trying to make here?

Have you ever trained alone for a team sport. It's a different method and he's 100% right. It is difficult to do it alone. I'm finding it very tough at the moment to get motivated to train when my team is 2 hours away. It's boring, repetitive, and lacks competition.

Old
08-23-2011, 10:17 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I don't understand the point you are trying to make here?

Have you ever trained alone for a team sport. It's a different method and he's 100% right. It is difficult to do it alone. I'm finding it very tough at the moment to get motivated to train when my team is 2 hours away. It's boring, repetitive, and lacks competition.
Sure have, and you still do it because you know you have to. I'm just really glad you don't play for the Flyers!

Old
08-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Sure have, and you still do it because you know you have to. I'm just really glad you don't play for the Flyers!
Where does it say that Jagr isn't doing it. Still missing your point?

Old
08-23-2011, 10:21 AM
livewell68

Quote:
You respond to this but not my post with actual proof that Jagr is training his butt off as we speak in Kladno?

Old
08-23-2011, 10:23 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Where does it say that Jagr isn't doing it. Still missing your point?
Don't worry, the poster is completely avoiding the actual point. I provide a pic in which Jagr is training right now in Kladno, but apparently some unknown report says Jagr isn't taking the training seriously.

I guess the pics are phamtom pics.

Old
08-23-2011, 10:29 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Don't worry, the poster is completely avoiding the actual point. I provide a pic in which Jagr is training right now in Kladno, but apparently some unknown report says Jagr isn't taking the training seriously.

Dude, the quote is past tense. It can quite easily mean that at some point this offseason he felt his training was coming along slowly. It does NOT discount your pic. Nor does your pic discount it.

Seriously man, take off the rose colored glasses. You get so offended by anyone providing anything that isn't pure elation in regards to Jagr. Teemu (the guy at euroflyers) is not some "unknown report". It's a quote. That's all it is. No big deal.

Old
08-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

Woah now, don't throw me in with your love fest on the mulleted one. I just found it strange that she would associate not liking training to not taking is seriously. I don't like work but i still gotta do it.

Old
08-23-2011, 10:34 AM
livewell68

A bit OT but when does the Flyers' training camp start?

Old
08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
A bit OT but when does the Flyers' training camp start?
Whenever Jagr wants it to.

But in all seriousness the 14th sticks out in my head. Too lazy to check.

Edit: It's the 17th.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Whenever Jagr wants it to.

But in all seriousness the 14th sticks out in my head. Too lazy to check.
Ok cool thanks.

Training camp and the NHL season can't come soon enough.

Pardon my incorrect term I may have used with this figure of speech, French is my first language.

Closed Thread