HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2011 Draft Thread I

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

vCash: 500
I'll take that as a go-ahead, considering Shoe picks after us.

Awesome Express selects Ron Duguay, C

Old
07-13-2011, 10:19 AM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Philadelphia selects a guy who will form a dynamic duo with McDougall, C/LW Robbie Ftorek
Tremendous pick, was looking at him as a 3rd liner later on (Was hoping he'd slip).

By the way did Tom re-pick? Someone told me he did but from reviewing the thread since last night it looks like he never.

07-13-2011, 12:33 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Let's go with some more familiarity...the Belleville Bulls select: G - Kirk McLean

Old
07-13-2011, 12:36 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
You picked Dave Christian!!
Christian's not really injury prone. Played 80 games quite a few times. 1009 GP vs. 456 GP for Bergeron.

Really, games played is the only reason I question the Bergeron pick. If he had another 200 or so games under his belt at the level he played at this past season, he'd be an excellent two-way third liner at this level, I think. Not sure what to think of him now, honestly. Kind of a "meh" for me, I think.

Hell, if Bergeron just had another 100 GP, he'd be on the same relative level as a lot of the wingers picked here (Vail, Payne, etc). Edit: But the center vs. winger thing makes sense.

Dave does have a good point re: Jordan Staal and others though.

Games Played:

Patrice Bergeron: 456
Jordan Staal: 369
Mike Richards: 453
Ryan Kesler: 484

Maybe it isn't such a bad pick.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 07-13-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old
07-13-2011, 12:42 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
Montreal Bad Habits are proud to select Jason Smith D

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 07-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old
07-13-2011, 12:45 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Detroit Red Wings selects:

Sergei Babinov, D

Edit: Do I need to send someone a PM?
I hope you can do a good bio for him. He's a player that intrigued me since I drafted Bilyaletdinov in the main draft. He and Bilya were the guys tasked with keeping Gretzky out of his office in the 1981 Canada Cup, according to one source. But Bilya then became famous for being part of the Soviet's second pairing with Pervukhin and known in North America as the third great Soviet defender behind Fetisov and Kasatonov. Babinov is basically an unknown to North Americans outside of 1981, it seems.

I'm very interesting in knowing more about Babinov.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:49 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Christian's not really injury prone. Played 80 games quite a few times. 1009 GP vs. 456 GP for Bergeron.

Really, games played is the only reason I question the Bergeron pick. If he had another 200 or so games under his belt at the level he played at this past season, he'd be an excellent two-way third liner at this level, I think. Not sure what to think of him now, honestly. Kind of a "meh" for me, I think.

Hell, if Bergeron just had another 100 GP, he'd be on the same relative level as a lot of the wingers picked here (Vail, Payne, etc). Edit: But the center vs. winger thing makes sense.

Games Played:

I defintely do think Bergeron is a better pick than Staal. Not necessarily than Richards or Kesler though, which I guess makes sense considering the 200 or so pick difference. If Dave can prove Bergeron has LW eligibility (really he only played it in the Olympics this time around as far as I can remember), then the pick is better as a defensive LW who can shadow some of the higher scoring RWers. But if he's only a center I still don't like the pick.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:12 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Yeah, as you probably know now, my beef didn't have anything to do with injuries.

Quote:
agree

Quote:

Games Played:

Would it be safe to say, though, that he's about even with them in GP in which he had a defensive impact? I mean, he came right in at 18 and wouldn't have been at all polished defensively that season.

------------

not that I needed a goalie, or wanted another d-man right now, but McLean and Smith were 1 and 2 on my positional lists.

Smith doesn't meet a lot of my usual criteria (TOI for example) but was a very useful and valuable "niche" player. He would be an elite 3rd pairing guy here, worth taking early and before your 1st and 2nd pairing guys in some cases because his exact skill set is rare. I could see him on a 2nd pairing too, but that wasn't my plan. I knew I was going to have to take him fairly early to get him...

pick coming soon.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:13 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I defintely do think Bergeron is a better pick than Staal. Not necessarily than Richards or Kesler though, which I guess makes sense considering the 200 or so pick difference. If Dave can prove Bergeron has LW eligibility (really he only played it in the Olympics this time around as far as I can remember), then the pick is better as a defensive LW who can shadow some of the higher scoring RWers. But if he's only a center I still don't like the pick.
In addition to the Olympics there's also his rookie season (IIRC he was about 50/50 LW/C there) and the 06 Worlds where he played on the same line as Crosby.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:17 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

You're right - Richards, Kesler, and Jordan Staal were top defensive players almost from the moment they started playing. Bergeron probably only has defensive value from his last 200 or so GP.

I still think it's a better pick than Jordan Staal, though.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:21 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Maybe Jordan Staal wasn't that great of a pick , they were a lot of rushed pick at the end of the ATD , and also a lot of wasted spares that could have been useful in the MLD.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:27 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I hope you can do a good bio for him. He's a player that intrigued me since I drafted Bilyaletdinov in the main draft. He and Bilya were the guys tasked with keeping Gretzky out of his office in the 1981 Canada Cup, according to one source. But Bilya then became famous for being part of the Soviet's second pairing with Pervukhin and known in North America as the third great Soviet defender behind Fetisov and Kasatonov. Babinov is basically an unknown to North Americans outside of 1981, it seems.

I'm very interesting in knowing more about Babinov.
I will write a bio once a friend of mine has translated some sources (if that ever happens, Jarek knows what I'm speaking of).

Old
07-13-2011, 01:31 PM
seventieslord

Looks like Regina's going to be a defensive team... I'm just going to go ahead and take the best defensive forward in the draft, Jan Erixon, LW. 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th in Selke voting.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I will write a bio once a friend of mine has translated some sources (if that ever happens, Jarek knows what I'm speaking of).
The Red Machine calls Babinov "mervelously mobile".

According to John Ferguson, Babinov's style was very close to Canadian style, and if he could bring one Soviet over to the NHL, it would have been Babinov.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:41 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Looks like Regina's going to be a defensive team... I'm just going to go ahead and take the best defensive forward in the draft, Jan Erixon, LW. 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th in Selke voting.
Good pick.

Old
07-13-2011, 02:02 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
The Red Machine calls Babinov "mervelously mobile".

According to John Ferguson, Babinov's style was very close to Canadian style, and if he could bring one Soviet over to the NHL, it would have been Babinov.
He sure was a big impact on the russian roster and in the league. Very underrated.

Old
07-13-2011, 02:09 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Good pick.
Yep, I think so, provided taking a 3rd liner before having a 1st or 2nd liner is "good"

TheJudge picks, via text message, Jack McDonald, LW. Seems he's been doing his research. He's still up for another pick.

Old
07-13-2011, 02:23 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
I was hoping he'd last another round.

Old
07-13-2011, 02:26 PM
seventieslord

TheJudge also selects Al Hamilton, D.

I'll pick soon.

I am so not happy with forwards available. I really need to readjust my expectations.

Old
07-13-2011, 02:31 PM
seventieslord

I guess I am happy with HHOFer LW George Richardson since I was really pleased with what I was able to find on his offensive exploits as an amateur last draft.

Old
07-13-2011, 02:46 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Montreal Bad Habits select the underrated Jason Spezza C

Old
07-13-2011, 02:50 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post

He was high on our list good pick.

Old
07-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
I guess I am happy with HHOFer LW George Richardson since I was really pleased with what I was able to find on his offensive exploits as an amateur last draft.
Ooh...I generally think of Richardson as one of the collection of the early "died in the war" Hall of Famers. His career certainly didn't merit induction by itself.

The quality of his OHA competition at the time is certainly a concern.

Old
07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post

Both good picks.

seventies' previous bio of Richardson really highlighted his offensive talent. Edit: Though lack of competition (if true) could bring Richardson's numbers back to earth. I always have trouble getting my head around the pre-WW1 split leagues.

I don't think vecens and I ever came to a consensus on who we wanted as a top center if McGimsie was selected, but Spezza was my personal second choice for top center after McGimsie. He doesn't bring anything but offense and is probably a negative without the puck, but he brings quite a bit of offense for this level.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 07-13-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old
07-13-2011, 03:10 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
Ooh...I generally think of Richardson as one of the collection of the early "died in the war" Hall of Famers. His career certainly didn't merit induction by itself.

The quality of his OHA competition at the time is certainly a concern.
No doubt on both counts, and the second point definitely applies to both McGimsie and Breen too. Since you are not familiar with what I was talking about, here it is:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...9&postcount=79

There's more than enough circumstantial evidence there to suggest he can score at a very high level for an MLD 1st line winger.

Closed Thread