HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2011 Draft Thread I

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
False opinion? what the hell are you talking about , I provided stats that in my opinion just shows Spezza is a superior player , that accomplished a little bit less but not enough to put him behind Gomez.I prefer 70 games of Spezza than 82 games of Gomez , how is that a ''false'' opinion?
You said Gomez has a bunch of really bad seasons, which isn't the case at all. Untill 2011, he was consistently one of the better playmakers in the league.

You also called Gomez a two trick pony, which I assume you were refering to his 2 top-10s in assists. He's got mutlliple top-20s, and even after those, he had good percentages.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:48 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Hampson was near the top of our list for two-way third line centers.
near? I'd sure like to know who was ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
You also called Gomez a two trick pony, which I assume you were refering to his 2 top-10s in assists. He's got mutlliple top-20s, and even after those, he had good percentages.
I assumed that, true to the meaning of "one/two trick pony", he meant Gomez can only do two things: skate and pass.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:50 PM
seventieslord

- I deleted VR and Dwight's pick as it was not even close to their turn. (Dwight, did you miss that you guys took Chouinard, maybe?)
- Selfish Man is skipped, mark & stone are on the clock.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

The Sleepwatchers select RW, Bullet Joe Carveth.

2x Stanley Cup Champion

From 1940-1941 to 1949-1950 Carveth was 9th in goals, 9th in assists and 10th in points. He lead the playoffs in points & assists in 1945 and in goals in 1943.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette, Dec 3, 1949
Tommy added that Joe Carveth had been playing useful hockey for the Red Wings since his return from the Canadiens. "We've been using four lines and five defencemen. Joe has been spotted on all the lines and we use him on powerplays."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Windsor Daily Star - Mar 31, 1945
...how Joe Carveth dug the puck out of the corner and slid a pass back to Hollet out on left wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Windsor Daily Star - Oct 25, 1940
...the most talked of player of the three was husky Joe Carveth, a right winger, there wasn't anything in the way of hockey that he couldn't do and do well.

Last edited by Stoneberg: 07-14-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old
07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
The Sleepwatchers select RW, Bullet Joe Carveth.

2x Stanley Cup Champion

From 1940-1941 to 1949-1950 Carveth was 9th in goals, 9th in assists and 10th in points. He lead the playoffs in points & assists in 1945 and in goals in 1943.
Damn , thought I could pick him up next round

Old
07-14-2011, 06:17 PM
seventieslord

I've had Carveth twice in the past... not sure where you got the Bullet part from. He was known by his teammates as "Dad".

Old
07-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

The Pittsburgh Hornets select Morris Lukowich, LW

- 1979 WHA Second-Team All-Star
- 1979 WHA Champion
- Played in 1980 NHL All-Star Game
- Played in 1981 NHL All-Star Game
- Career NHL high of 43 goals in 1982. Scored over 30 goals in 4 of 5 seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendsofhockey
Little Morris Lukowich was an explosive player - both in terms of speed and scoring. He also added a bit of sandpaper to his game, playing with admirable grit.

In what proved to be the final season for the WHA, Lukowich moved to Winnipeg to join the high flying Jets, the class of the league. Morris had a terrific year with the offense-first Jets, finding the net 65 times! Add 34 assists and his 99 points was good enough to be named as the WHA's Second Team All Star on left wing. More importantly, Lukowich scored 8 goals and a team high 15 points en route to capturing the final WHA championship.

The early years for the NHL Jets were pretty tough, as the team lost way more games than they won. But Lukowich was one of the few bright spots on many nights. He scored 35 and 33 goals in his first two seasons respectively, before notching his best NHL numbers in 1981-82. Lukowich found the net 43 times and collected 92 points. For his efforts Morris was invited to the NHL All Star game for the second year in a row, playing on a line with Mike Bossy and Bryan Trottier.

Despite missing the NHL playoffs so often in his career, the early end to his seasons allowed him to experience one of his favorite moments in hockey - the 1981 World Championships.
Morris served as Winnipeg's captain from 1981 to 1982 and is a definite candidate to wear a letter on his sweater in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Selfish Man: 07-14-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: add bio for Lukowich
Old
07-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I've had Carveth twice in the past... not sure where you got the Bullet part from. He was known by his teammates as "Dad".
Random newspaper clipping, decided to run with it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatoon Star-Phoenix - Apr 5, 1947
...to see Bullet Joe Carveth and Milt Schmidt, Bruins scrapping, hustling, two way threat, notch a pair of goals within 22 seconds of each other and put the visitors ahead.

Old
07-14-2011, 06:57 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
Random newspaper clipping, decided to run with it lol.
wow, nice find, well at least you didn't pull it out of your ass!

Old
07-14-2011, 08:48 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
You said Gomez has a bunch of really bad seasons, which isn't the case at all. Untill 2011, he was consistently one of the better playmakers in the league.

He hasn't been one of the better playmakers in the league in a while now. Never has been for Montreal and really wasn't for New York ever really. He is explosive through the neutral zone but then does nothing with it..really disappointing to be honest.

Old
07-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
He hasn't been one of the better playmakers in the league in a while now. Never has been for Montreal and really wasn't for New York ever really. He is explosive through the neutral zone but then does nothing with it..really disappointing to be honest.
He was definately better before the lockout, but he was still decent after. 2008 and 2010 were both top-20s, and he's put up like 75 percent the assists Hank Sedin has. That's not half bad for being his second best 5 year period...

Old
07-14-2011, 09:13 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Warroad Lakers select D Dave Lewis, with an explicit promise not to put him behind the bench or invade Poland.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:45 PM
TheJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Warroad Lakers select D Dave Lewis, with an explicit promise not to put him behind the bench or invade Poland.
Argh. He was my next pick.

Old
07-15-2011, 12:24 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
He was like that at times in New Jersey too. Really, his speed is his best asset by far. He created so much separation for himself with his speed that it would throw the opposing defense totally out of whack. He actually isn't the most accurate passer, despite his assist totals, though he is still quite good. He got a lot of assists simply by gaining the zone and dumping the puck to a teammate before the defense was set. Never really a "thread the needle" kind of passer (Elias was better at that).

Gomez's biggest asset, perhaps, is that you really don't necessarily need a puck moving defenseman when he's on the ice, because he's so good end to end. But he's actually not all that amazing in the offensive zone.

Old
07-15-2011, 01:32 AM
jkrx

Detroit Red Wings is proud to select:

Thomas Gradin, C

Old
07-15-2011, 02:31 AM
Dreakmur

Baldy Cotton

Old
07-15-2011, 03:04 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
He was definately better before the lockout, but he was still decent after. 2008 and 2010 were both top-20s, and he's put up like 75 percent the assists Hank Sedin has. That's not half bad for being his second best 5 year period...
He was pure crap in 2010 too, sorry. I'm a Montreal fan and watched pretty much every game that season, and he didn't impress me at all whatsoever. Almost all of his assists were secondary assists that his linemates did all the work on.

As TDMM pointed out, he isn't that great of a passer. His speed just attracts a lot of attention which allows his linemates open lanes. Biggest difference from his NJ days to now..he doesn't go to the net anymore.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:07 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
He was pure crap in 2010 too, sorry. I'm a Montreal fan and watched pretty much every game that season, and he didn't impress me at all whatsoever. Almost all of his assists were secondary assists that his linemates did all the work on.

As TDMM pointed out, he isn't that great of a passer. His speed just attracts a lot of attention which allows his linemates open lanes. Biggest difference from his NJ days to now..he doesn't go to the net anymore.
He didn't really go to the net much in NJ, either. In his career season (2005-06), he had a linemate who always went to the net (but was fast enough to more or less keep up with Scott).

Old
07-15-2011, 03:08 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
He didn't really go to the net much in NJ, either. In his career season (2005-06), he had a linemate who always went to the net.
Really? Cause everywhere I read, that career season he was the guy who went to the net and was a pest every time he was on the ice.

I'll believe you though since your a Devils fan.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:18 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
Gomez's biggest asset, perhaps, is that you really don't necessarily need a puck moving defenseman when he's on the ice, because he's so good end to end. But he's actually not all that amazing in the offensive zone.
Astute observation!

Old
07-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

I'd like to request that when we make a pick, we start stating which pick it is in the draft (by number). I think that would make it easier to follow exactly where we are in the draft, even if the draft list on the first page isn't updated.

Old
07-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

So, for the 2nd time, Awesome Express will select Warren Godfrey, D

Leafs Forever's Godfrey Bio: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...9&postcount=73

Old
07-15-2011, 08:44 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
I'd like to request that when we make a pick, we start stating which pick it is in the draft (by number). I think that would make it easier to follow exactly where we are in the draft, even if the draft list on the first page isn't updated.
Agreed, especially in the later rounds when people really start to miss their picks.

Old
07-15-2011, 09:42 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Agreed, especially in the later rounds when people really start to miss their picks.
So be it!

Old
07-15-2011, 11:03 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

With the 67th overall pick, the Belleville Bulls select a fantastic puck-moving defenseman whos offensive capabilities are certainly well noted:

D - Doug Crossman

Closed Thread