HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2011 Draft Thread I

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Montreal Bad Habits select Sean Burke G

Old
07-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Baldy Cotton
Nice one Dreak. I had him targetted. I have a nice quote on him being a good PKer in my Bailey bio, the xxx is Cotton:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Sun - Oct 26, 1933
When the Toronto Maple Leafs players are penalized this season Coach Dick Irvin won't have to depend entirely on xxx and "Ace" Bailey to keep the puck out of the Leaf end of the rink until his team is back to full stregnth. For Irvin is drilling most of his staff of forwards in the fine art of "ragging" a nicety of hockey business at which few players are adept.

Last season xxx and Bailey carried much of the load of killing time and when Bailey was injured xxx was the man of the moment. A few times xxx was the player penalized and then it was just too bad. Irvin plans to have others of his forwards perfect themselves in the manoeuvre so no matter who is waved to the bench he will still have players capable of fighting off opposing forwards.

Old
07-15-2011, 11:32 AM
seventieslord

- Burke was the best goalie left.

- Crossman and O'Connell are practically the same except:

- O'Connell killed more penalties to the point that it's a significant difference (44% to 32%)
- O'Connell's team's goal differential dropped a bit more when he was on the ice than Crossman's did (both guys had all-stars as off-ice comparables when in their prime)
- Crossman's playoff record is a little better.
- O'Connell was more utilized overall, with a career average of 23.55 minutes, to Crossman's 21.86.

I have a meeting, I will pick soon.

Old
07-15-2011, 12:18 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
C Nicklas Backstrom

1x 1st Team All Rookie
10th in Selke Voting, 09-10
28th in Selke Voting, 08-09
11th in Hart Voting, 09-10
4th in All Star Voting, 09-10
2nd in Calder Trophy Voting, 07-08
2008-2009 Viking Award Winner for Swedish Player of the Year
2006 World Championships Gold Medalist
8th Power Play Goals(08-09)
4x Top 17 Assists(3, 3, 11, 17)
4x Top 40 Points(4, 9, 34, 40)

Vs2

Assists: 99, 94, 83, 69

During Career:

4th in Assists(96% of 2nd place Thornton)
9th in Points(89% of 2nd place H. Sedin)

Quote:
Displays outstanding patience with the puck, playmaking acumen and a knack for being in the right place at the right time. Is mature and has great instincts for the game. His shot is improving and he also boasts defensive ability.
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/players/...klas-backstrom

Quote:
“When you’re around him every day you see how talented he is, how driven and how much attention he pays to every little thing, even though he’s that good. That doesn’t go unnoticed.”

Backstrom’s workmanlike attitude was one of the reasons Boudreau named him one of the team’s alternate captains this season. He had previously served as a captain of the Swedish national team as a teenager, but the acknowledgment of his significance to the Capitals gave him pause.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...C_story_1.html

Quote:
Nicklas Backstrom cut to center ice, glanced up and saw a gaping hole in the New York Rangers' defense.

Only the hole wasn't there -- yet.

Everything was unfolding at full speed, but in Backstrom's mind it was in slow motion. Then, without a hint of hesitation, the center threaded a pass between two Rangers and onto the stick of xxx, who scored the third of five consecutive goals in the Washington Capitals' 5-4 victory at Madison Square Garden on Dec. 23.

"You see a lot of great passes in your lifetime, but there are only certain people who can make that pass," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "He's one of those guys, and he did it with all of the confidence that the pass was going to get there. He had 3 1/2 inches, and the puck is three inches in diameter."

It's passes like that -- and the rate at which he's been racking up points recently -- that have the league buzzing about Backstrom. He was expected to blossom into a world-class playmaker someday; it just wasn't supposed to happen three months into his second NHL campaign, just a month after his 21st birthday.

"Every year you want to be better," Backstrom said. "I have that responsibility right now. I get a lot of ice time. I want to be good out there. I don't want to be just some random player."

Backstrom no doubt benefits from playing on the same line as Alex Ovechkin, the reigning most valuable player and the league's third-leading scorer. But what has distinguished Backstrom's play this season is the fact that he has, on many occasions, dominated games on his own. Of his 31 assists, in fact, only 10 have come on goals scored by Ovechkin.

Boudreau has started turning to Backstrom in critical situations, including putting him out for defensive zone faceoffs in close games. The coach has also given him the alternate captain's "A" the past four contests.

But the thing that doesn't need any work is the same one he struggles to explain: his ability to make imaginative passes, such as the one he made to xxx, that surprise opponents and wow fans.

"It's my best thing on the ice, the way I see the ice," he said. "I don't know where it came from. Maybe it was a gift from my parents."

Boudreau couldn't explain it, either.

"I haven't seen many kids his age -- obviously I don't see Sidney Crosby too often -- that can make saucer passes that end up on the guy's stick that aren't bouncing, over two sticks, on to his teammate's," he said. "It's something special."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...3103069_2.html

Quote:
Nicklas Backstrom has already cemented his reputation as one of the NHL's best setup men. But over the past month, the 22-year-old Swede has shown he has the potential to be one of hockey's best finishers, too.

"He's shooting the puck," coach Bruce Boudreau said of Backstrom. "He's got a good shot, and it's sneaky quick. We've been asking him for a long time now to shoot more."
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/200...coring-prowess

Quote:
This is debatable, but Nicklas Backstrom may have played the best game of the season by a Washington Capitals player. He was that good.

Brian Pothier said he was "disgusting." Bruce Boudreau said there might not be words to describe how great he was. Backstrom just killed the Rangers on almost every shift.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblo...et-back-in-it/

Quote:
Backstrom, the Capitals' No. 4 overall draft pick in 2006, showed flashes of his vast potential and scored a goal in Washington's 4-3 overtime loss to Carolina at RBC Center. He also displayed the defensive discipline that has team officials hoping he'll develop into a two-way dynamo, much like fellow Swede Peter Forsberg.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091601394.html

Quote:
"A lot of people want to credit Alex, but I credit Nicky with a lot of Alex's success as well," said Boudreau, who rarely hesitates to give his young players more responsibility. Over the past 11 games, Backstrom averaged 2 minutes 14 seconds on the penalty kill, helping the Capitals unit deny its opponent on 50 of 59 opportunities (84.7 percent).

Backstrom knew as a center he needed to improve his defensive play, and his dedication to becoming more well-rounded has not gone unnoticed by his teammates.

"I think he realizes as a center he needs to play down on defense just as well," Fedorov said. "Down low in our zone he's realized he needs to work a little harder and that's what he's done. That's maturity."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...pid=sec-sports

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 07-17-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old
07-15-2011, 12:28 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'll probably get some heat for this pick but four top 17s in assists is quite good, C Nicklas Backstrom
He's definitely a second line center here. The lack of playoff experience (i mean deep in the playoffs) hurts a touch but his resume is fine. He's good defensively too, although he doesn't have the longest track decor you'd like of it yet.

Old
07-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
I'll probably get some heat for this pick but four top 17s in assists is quite good, C Nicklas Backstrom
I'll say we considered him, but he's got an incomplete resume like many players who have been drafted (Stamkos, etc.)

Just as good a pick as Spezza IMO.

Old
07-15-2011, 12:29 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
- Burke was the best goalie left.

- Crossman and O'Connell are practically the same except:

- O'Connell killed more penalties to the point that it's a significant difference (44% to 32%)
- O'Connell's team's goal differential dropped a bit more when he was on the ice than Crossman's did (both guys had all-stars as off-ice comparables when in their prime)
- Crossman's playoff record is a little better.
- O'Connell was more utilized overall, with a career average of 23.55 minutes, to Crossman's 21.86.

I have a meeting, I will pick soon.
Eh, there are a lot of differeneces between the two:

- O'Connell recieved a handful of Norris votes once. Crossman never did.

- O'Connell is a right handed shot; Crossman a lefty.

- O'Connell was much smaller than Crossman and I assume faster.

Sean Burke was at or near the top of our lists for goalies, but i dont see how you can say with certainty that he was the best one.

Old
07-15-2011, 12:30 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

I don't think there has been a clear cut best available goalie taken since Paton

Old
07-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I'll say we considered him, but he's got an incomplete resume like many players who have been drafted (Stamkos, etc.)

How so? Spezza has played far longer and has shows he can play in the playoff , I'd say the difference is still big between both of them.

Old
07-15-2011, 12:43 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
How so? Spezza has played far longer and has shows he can play in the playoff , I'd say the difference is still big between both of them.
Spezza = 4 star-calibre seasons + 3 decent seasons

Backstrom = 2 star calibre seasons + 2 decent seasons

Backstrom brings a much better two-way game, but....

Old
07-15-2011, 12:44 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Eh, there are a lot of differeneces between the two:

- O'Connell recieved a handful of Norris votes once. Crossman never did.

- O'Connell is a right handed shot; Crossman a lefty.

- O'Connell was much smaller than Crossman and I assume faster.

Sean Burke was at or near the top of our lists for goalies, but i dont see how you can say with certainty that he was the best one.
It's up to you how significant you want to make the first two items, and along with the third goes the assumption that Crossman was more effective physically.

I would take O'Connell first too.

Can anyone say anything with certainty this late in the draft? Is anyone bar-none the best at anything? No, but I'm as certain of Burke right now as I am of anything else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
no way.

Old
07-15-2011, 01:01 PM
seventieslord

We'll take RW Grant "Knobby" Warwick, who was only top-10 in goals once but was top-20 six times (one was 1945 though). No available players have even five top-20s in goals, assists, or points, and just eleven left have as many as four in either.

This is a triviality and an unnecessary separation of goals and assists, but an interesting tidbit is that Warwick's 9 combined top-20s in goals and assists is three more than any available player.

He also has an excellent O6 non-NHL career.

Old
07-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Quote:
We'll take RW Grant "Knobby" Warwick, who was only top-10 in goals once but was top-20 six times (one was 1945 though). No available players have even five top-20s in goals, assists, or points, and just eleven left have as many as four in either.

This is a triviality and an unnecessary separation of goals and assists, but an interesting tidbit is that Warwick's 9 combined top-20s in goals and assists is three more than any available player.

He also has an excellent O6 non-NHL career.
I hate you with all my heart
I had Carveth and Warwick as my 1-2 options.

Last edited by Jafar: 07-15-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old
07-15-2011, 01:55 PM
TheJudge

With the 70th and 71st picks the Thunder Bay Twins select...

RW Scott Young

"I remember someone on Hockey Night In Canada once referred to Scott Young as a "hockey machine." It was a pretty good quote. He excelled in so many facets of the game."

"Young had a very heavy slap shot, which caught more than a few goalies by surprise. He liked to tee up one timers near the top of the right face off circle, and was often used on the right point on the power play."

"Raised as a defenseman, it comes as no surprise that Young was a diligent defensive forward. He read plays well, had good anticipation and an active stick, as well as the speed and quickness to get to pucks first. He was a regular on the PK unit as well as the PP unit."

"He was a reliable performer game in and game out, and in the playoffs. With his speed, shot and ability to read plays he played a long time, 1181 games in total plus 141 more in the playoffs. He scored 342 goals and 756 points in the regular season, plus 44 goals and 87 points in the Stanley Cup post-season."

and

D Mark Streit

"An solid defenseman, Streit split his first season in North America between the Springfield of the AHL, Utah of the IHL and Talahassee of the ECHL. A five-time member of Switzerland's World Championship team (2000-2004) and a member of its Olympic team in 2002, Streit opted to return to his homeland after only one season in North America. Over the course of the next five seasons Streit suited up for Zurich of the Swiss Elite League before returning to North America in 2005-06 as a member of the Montreal Canadiens."

"As a member of the Canadiens, Streit became a regular on thee club's blue line through the 2005-06 season. He set career highs in the 2006-07 season only to have them beat the following season. His most offensively productive season came in 2007-08 when Streit finished tied for second in power play scoring among NHL defenceman."

Old
07-15-2011, 01:57 PM
seventieslord

I am waiting for a final answer from him via text message. I already know who I want when he is done.

edit: whoops, there he is.

I select Bob Armstrong, D.

Recently unearthed Norris Trophy voting records show that Armstrong actually received a handful of votes in three separate seasons:

1954: 8th with 4 points
1957: 9th with 3 points
1960: 7th with 12 points (also played in the ASG on merit this season)

Old
07-15-2011, 02:03 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

We would have loved to have Streit as a bottom pairing puck mover. I actually think he's worthy of playing on a second pair here, but I didn't want to do it because I didn't feel like defending him like I had to when I drafted him in the last AAA draft.

Really, what you think of Streit really depends on how much stock you put into his pre-NHL career in Europe.

Old
07-15-2011, 02:18 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
I am waiting for a final answer from him via text message. I already know who I want when he is done.

edit: whoops, there he is.

I select Bob Armstrong, D.

Recently unearthed Norris Trophy voting records show that Armstrong actually received a handful of votes in three separate seasons:

1954: 8th with 4 points
1957: 9th with 3 points
1960: 7th with 12 points (also played in the ASG on merit this season)
Ugh. We really thought we could get him with our next pick. He and Jack Evans are the only pure shut down defensemen in the draft with significant Norris records. We thought we could get both of them

Old
07-15-2011, 02:23 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Ugh. We really thought we could get him with our next pick. He and Jack Evans are the only pure shut down defensemen in the draft with significant Norris records. We thought we could get both of them
If it's any consolation, I wanted Evans even more than I wanted Armstrong. It would have been an embarrassment of riches for you to have gotten both.

Old
07-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Montreal Bad Habits select Mud Bruneteau RW and complete their starting line-up.

Old
07-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Montreal Bad Habits select Mud Bruneteau RW and complete their starting line-up.

GAHHHHHHH! good pick Reen, that's who we wanted.

Old
07-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

eric vail - jason spezza - mud bruneteau

dave maloney - jason smith

sean burke

Old
07-15-2011, 03:03 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

I'm curious, who do people believe had better linemates in their best years, Spezza(Alfie, Heatley), or Backstrom(OV and undrafted)?

Old
07-15-2011, 03:09 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
If it's any consolation, I wanted Evans even more than I wanted Armstrong. It would have been an embarrassment of riches for you to have gotten both.
I know....

Quote:
I'm curious, who do people believe had better linemates in their best years, Spezza(Alfie, Heatley), or Backstrom(OV and undrafted)?
overpass can answer the question of when Alfie actually played with Spezza and Heatley, but I'm pretty sure that it was less often than people think. I think Alfie usually played on the second line, with the major exception of the 2007 playoffs.

Backstrom, as far as I know, has always centered Ovechkin with the right wing constantly changing.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Quote:
the senator line was more dominant but that's probably because the undrafted is behind everybody else.

Also , we saw what happened when washington decided to play a more well-rounded game , while the senators always did and still produced great offense.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
If I had to rank all six players:

Ovechkin
Alfredsson
Heatley
Spezza
Backstrom
Undrafted

The Caps have the best of the bunch, but the Sens have the better group, IMO.

Closed Thread